I'm wondering if the removable memory speeds matter at all when it comes to BBs.
    I think I've seen data transfer ratings that range from '2' on up to '10' and of course the higher the speed the higher the price.

So I'm sure there are devices out there outside of the mobile phone world that the higher speed cards are crucial for but does anyone know if it matters when it comes to our BBs?
    I'm hoping to grab the upcoming 9930 when VzW releases it and the last thing I want to do is handicap the fastest phone RIM has ever made by buying a less-than-optimal speed memory card for it. On the other hand: if it won't make a difference then I'd like to avoid throwing money away needlessly

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by MisterShark; 06-11-11 at 11:23 AM.
    06-11-11 11:06 AM
    Bump.
    No one here knows about memory speed and it's
    necessity (or lack of) for BlackBerrys?

06-12-11 12:12 PM
    well, its only useful for saving and opening items on your SD card. Nothing else will use it. Just get what you feel comfortable spending. I wouldnt go crazy on it. It just wont make a huge difference.
    06-12-11 12:36 PM
    Bump.
    No one here knows about memory speed and it's
    necessity (or lack of) for BlackBerrys?

To answer your question, it is my understanding that on EXISTING BB's a class 2 micro SD card is adequate for all phone operations. That being said, I recommend a class 6 as the speed when used on your computer is much greater.
    As far as the new models (9900/9930) not many of us have one to play with so we don't really know what speed card will work with these phones. Then again, if you purchase a class 6 card my guess is that it would work great in the new model phones.

Remember to back up your micro SD card files periodically.
    06-12-11 12:56 PM
    Thanks for weighing in gents!

The main reason I ask is because the current Tour that I use with an 8 gig MicroSD HC card rated at a 4 speed yields a less-than-instant photo thumbnail read/content-display and I'm not sure whether it's the speed of the CPU or the transfer rate of the 4-rated MicroSD card that's to blame.

There's also the fact (according to released info at this point) that this new 9930 will record video in 720p that makes me think that the higher speed-rated cards might be a good idea. But that's based on less-than-concrete knowledge of memory vs. video capture coming from my end. That's my reason for posting this thread: hoping that someone with a depth greater than my own might shed light on this for myself and the community (the community that is thinking of buying a 9930 that is).
    06-12-11 09:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD