Can you Transfer your current apps on your Z10 to your SD card. I need more space on the handset. Thanks for any help

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 11:08 AM
    At the moment u are out of luck. Not possible uet

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 11:43 AM
    Never have been able to, and likely never will be able to. Security and piracy issues and all.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 01:39 PM
    Security is an issue...

But BlackBerry should allow native games to install the core of the game in the internal memory, and the data portions on the SD Card. No piracy problem, and as this would be developer controlled (with the option user controlled) it wouldn't be a security issue.

Just as 16GB is nothing on a modern PC... it's becoming nothing on mobile devices.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 02:35 PM
    Thx guys

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 06:38 PM
    Not sure why Aerize has not done this for BB10 yet...
    It was a big hit on legacy devices for just the reason the OP mentioned. Extra Space.
    Aerize Loader - Run apps from SD card utility - BlackBerry World

It's a bit ironic that we can no longer do that with native apps, but we can now store Android apps on the sd card.
    04-27-14 12:37 AM
    I read that the Windows phone 8.1 update will allow apps to be saved to the SD card.

This has always been something I've wanted on my BB10 devices. With the Q5 I had I ran out of device memory very quickly and it didn't take long to use up the memory on my first Z10. I'm good with my current Z10 but I can't consider looking at a Z3 because I know I'll fun out of memory too quickly.

I know that the iPhone doesn't even have an SD card so memory management must be really tough. BlackBerry has the option to use the extra storage of an SD card and doesn't. With this simple option added I would be quite happy sticking with my Z10 or trying out the new Z3 when it becomes available to me but now I'm facing an update to my device because I want more memory.

I really like the BB10 OS and that is what is keeping me on a BlackBerry device for now but I can feel my fidelity being tested, I'm not sure how much longer I can convince myself to stay.

Surely there must be a way for BlackBerry to make the SD card memory available?

Posted via CB10
    04-28-14 12:16 AM
    Security is an issue...

But BlackBerry should allow native games to install the core of the game in the internal memory, and the data portions on the SD Card. No piracy problem, and as this would be developer controlled (with the option user controlled) it wouldn't be a security issue.

Just as 16GB is nothing on a modern PC... it's becoming nothing on mobile devices.

Posted via CB10
    It wouldn't be a security issue, BBOS was already doing that for a few years since the Storm came out.

#believeinfilm
    ryanza likes this.
    04-28-14 04:53 AM
    It wouldn't be a security issue, BBOS was already doing that for a few years since the Storm came out.

#believeinfilm
    The only way it isn't a security issue is if the SD card is encrypted. Just because BBOS allowed it, doesn't mean there wasn't retrievable data on the removable SD card.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-28-14 07:22 AM
    The only way it isn't a security issue is if the SD card is encrypted. Just because BBOS allowed it, doesn't mean there wasn't retrievable data on the removable SD card.
    It never surfaced as an issue for so many years so we can safely assume it was not a security issue, until we hear otherwise.

#believeinfilm
    04-28-14 07:57 AM
    It's true that BBOS 7 and older did allow apps to store some things in "media storage" (what the OS called the SD card), if it was there.

But, it was usually cached information, or additional data that would be useless outside of the app. That's why it was never a security issue. No parts of the app itself - one or more .cod files - was ever stored on the SD card.

In BB10, there are some apps now that can use the SD card. The bPod podcast app can store downloaded podcasts onto the SD card, just like the old BlackBerry Podcast app could. But, just as before, those are just audio files that the app simply accesses.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-14 09:04 AM
    But, it was usually cached information, or additional data that would be useless outside of the app. That's why it was never a security issue. No parts of the app itself - one or more .cod files - was ever stored on the SD card.
    Too much misinformation.
    Storing an app on an sd card to free device space is NOT the same a running an app from an sd card.
    .cod files for apps are easily stored on an sd card and applications can be re-installed to the device from it in a Java environment.
    04-28-14 09:44 AM
    I'm sorry for simply using the wrong terminology of " storage".

Geez.

Yes, I've had copies of cod files on my SD card going back to having an 8100. Usually backups of themes. On my 9800, I kept a backup of the OS5 ringtone cod as well as the Docs to Go V3 cod and related jad files so I could reload them after an OS load.

They could be installed from the SD card, but they always installed into, and ran from internal memory. That was all I was trying to get across.

And, yes, I have backed up apps off of both my old 8100 and 9800 using BBSAK, and installed them back on. Not sure what that says, however. Other than the fact that I still had to input the activation codes for my paid apps. All valid since the device PINs they were tied to don't change.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-14 10:19 AM
    Exactly. No need to apologize. We just don't want to give the OP incorrect information. Especially if he's not familiar with .cod files or how to utilize them on legacy devices.

But that all doesn't matter anyway because nothing of the sort can be done on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-14 10:27 AM

But that all doesn't matter anyway because nothing of the sort can be done on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Very true.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-14 10:37 AM