I found a lot about this in the forums, but all the discussions seem to assume that you have both BB in hand. I am switching from Nextel to Verizon. I bought a phone on ebay, and auctioned mine the same day. I never thought my 8350i would sell for my by it now price, so I thought I had 5 days to get my new one and transfer my contacts and such. Well It sold in 10 minutes, so now I'm obligated to send it out before I get my new one.

I started the switch devices operation in DM, I went as far as to download the 8350i and now it asking me to hookup the new device. I was just going to leave my computer on that screen for a few days and continue when I get my storm. Do you think this will work or am I making this entirely too hard, is there another way?
    09-07-09 08:24 PM
    When you come to the part that it asks you to connect the new device, don't do anything...

Go to the Start menu, Search, and enter your BB's PIN. Make sure you click on "all files or folders", click "when was it modified?" enter the current date, click "more advanced options", check "Search hidden files and folders" and "Search subfolders". Then search.

It will eventually find a folder named whatever your BB's PIN is. Right click that folder, select copy, right click on your desktop and click paste.

You've now backed up a copy of your phone to your desktop. After you've copied the folder, you can do back to DM and click cancel.
    09-07-09 08:29 PM
    Awesome.....Done....Thanks alot.
    09-07-09 08:55 PM
    No problem...whenever I transfer devices or do random backups, I also do the "Backup and Restore" option on DMs main window. I'd suggest doing it as well. (Can never hurt to have too many backups!)
    09-07-09 08:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD