Dear all;

Currently I am a user of Treo650 and was thinking to buy a new handset to replace it. Blackberry 8320 or Bold were some of the option come into my mind..
    As now my address book contain more than 750 names, 8 groups and > numbers, could somebody inform me how will be the fastest way to transfer those data automatically?

If a third party software needed, is it free?
    Thanks for your sharing and sorry if this already been discussed.

Rgds, Viator
    01-10-09 03:58 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

Delivered with your BlackBerry will be some software called Desktop Manager. This has a Switch Device Wizard and this will transfer your contacts and Calenedaer to your new phone. It is a fairly painless process tha works well provided that your Treo normally connects properly and you have tested the new BlackBerry the same way.
    01-10-09 04:02 AM
    Another option is to synchronize all your adresses to a Personal Information Manager like outlook and then you can synchronize it back to your BlackBerry.

This way you also have a backup of all your adresses in case you don't have that yet.
    01-10-09 05:39 AM
    I bought a curve and transfered all my information from my palm TX with the desktop manager and it worked great. Everything on the blackberry was easy to set up. You will be amazed how easy it was if you had to set up you palm when it was new.
    01-10-09 05:48 AM
    Another option is to synchronize all your adresses to a Personal Information Manager like outlook and then you can synchronize it back to your BlackBerry.

This way you also have a backup of all your adresses in case you don't have that yet.
    The Treo syncs with its own stand-alone program and works with Outlook, etc. only with difficulty.

This is why I suggested using Desktop Manager.
    01-10-09 05:52 AM
    Great response ..., thanks.
    you guys are very supportive!
    Any other option are welcome.
    01-10-09 06:55 AM
    If you're currently not configured to use Outlook, but will want to use Outlook with the BB...
    As a long time Palm user I recommend the following "familiar" steps:

1. Sync existing device the usual way you've been syncing.

2. Locate Palm install cd/dvd & insert the disk in the dvd drive.
    2a. Here, the autorun/startup screen on the cd/dvd should give you the option to "Change synchronization method from Palm Desktop to Outlook"
    2b. Select "Outlook" as your synchronization method.

3.Perform a "Hot Sync" one last time.

4. You are now ready to migrate devices; insert the Blackberry Deskto Manager (DM) cd/dvd and follow the on screen instructions.

This method also insures a clean backup (in your Palm\username folder).

Welcome to the Blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Theroadwarrior; 01-10-09 at 10:40 AM.
    01-10-09 10:35 AM
    I am a new BB Bold user, when I install BB desktop at home and attempt to retrieve the data using the "switch device wizard", but it appears that option was designed for a palm smartphone like the Treo and not their TX PDA lines. When I select the "Switch from another device to a Blackberry device", the wizard directs me to select between a Palm device or a WM device but does not allow me to select either option. The options are grayed out. I prefer to syn data using Palm Desktop ver. 6.2.2. instead of installing Outlook. So at this point in time, I'm STUCK.
    Anyone can HELP?
    02-08-09 09:54 PM
    I have found for the Palm the device switch doesn't work well with the palm Treos and BB's But I wrote a "how to" Ill see if I can find it and post it here...

02-09-09 12:31 AM
    Making a Switch?Treo to Blackberry!What you need to understand is that the Blackberry Desktop Manager is more a high end sync program it is not a "pim" Personal Information Manager it is like Palms hotsnyc with more functions. What you do use it for is to sync your pim data with Outlook or a few others organizers like Outlook Express, Yahoo ect. Outlook is by far the most widely used. You aslo transfer Multimedia, load / unload apps. Also do upgrades and dowgrades. 3rd party app back up too. Now if you want your data from your Treo / Palm device on to your BB device. You will need to snyc your palm device with Outlook using hotsnyc then snyc Outlook with your BB using BB DM. Most palm hotsnyc is setup to use the palm desktop. But you change the conduits to snyc with Outlook. You can find this option on the disk you got with the device or just download it. Palm - Support - Palm Desktop for Windows or use Chapura's PocketMirror. Once you have your pim data synced with Outlook its pretty easy from there. Now you need to sync your BB with Outlook BB DM will walk you through the set up.There is also a work around by using google snyc or yahoo for pim but that could be more headaches..What if you know longer have your Treo or Palm device. But you still have your pim data on Palm Desktop. There are a few programs that you can purchase to Export the "pim data from Palm Desktop and then Import them to BB DMPDAssistant merges your Outlook and Palm Desktop contactscompanionlink software Synchronize CRM or PIM data with handheld devices -- CompanionLink As far a multimedia mp3s, avis, photos ect. it should be simple if you have the right SD cards. Anything on your device memory you want make sure to move it to the SD card in your palm device. Then with a card reader you should be able to switch all data to your PC and then to the card you will now use in the BB. Depending on which palm you had? The size of the cards change so hopefully you have adapters to get the data on to a mirco SD card

02-09-09 12:37 AM
    I have syc my contacts from TX to Outlook, but when I select the "Switch from another device to a Blackberry device", the wizard directs me to select between a Palm device or a WM device but does not allow me to select either option. The options are grayed out. I'm STUCK.
    02-09-09 02:42 AM
    I think I figure it out, just not use the Switch option, go directly to Syn option that BBDM has......
    02-09-09 03:03 AM
    FWIW, after reading about some failed attempts to get Palm stuff into the desktop manager, I went ahead and dropped $100 for MS Outlook and $25 for PocketCopy to get the data into Outlook. From there Outlook and the DM play together very nicely! Usually I look for free and cheap ways to get stuff like this done, but with my wife's personal and business contacts I wanted things to go quickly as she needed her BB in hand right away for business.

Copy of Outlook and PocketCopy--------------------$125
    Time to do everything------------------------------1/2 hour
    Errors----------------------------------------------0
    Freeing up my entire weekend and having a happy wife------priceless.
    02-09-09 02:34 PM
    The Treo syncs with its own stand-alone program and works with Outlook, etc. only with difficulty.

This is why I suggested using Desktop Manager.
    I disagree. I owned a Treo at one point and it synced with all the usual PIM programs. Bringing my address book to the Blackberry from the PIM was painless.

02-09-09 02:49 PM
    Scywin but how? You make it sound easy but what steps did you use. From start to finish?

Palm -1)Treos use a program called 2)hotsnyc to snyc wit 3)Palm Desktop

Rim -1)Blackberrys use a program called 2)DM desktop manager to snyc with 3)outlook

BB DM does have a device switch app. But have found out its not friednly with the Palm Treos so most people just snyc their Treos with Outlook then BB with outlook seems to be the easiest and quickest.

All you need is the palm/outlook conduits to do this.
    Last edited by coachcurtisbusse; 02-09-09 at 04:53 PM.
    02-09-09 04:50 PM
    Scywin but how? You make it sound easy but what steps did you use. From start to finish?

Palm -1)Treos use a program called 2)hotsnyc to snyc wit 3)Palm Desktop

Rim -1)Blackberrys use a program called 2)DM desktop manager to snyc with 3)outlook

BB DM does have a device switch app. But have found out its not friednly with the Palm Treos so most people just snyc their Treos with Outlook then BB with outlook seems to be the easiest and quickest.

All you need is the palm/outlook conduits to do this.
    These are not as different as they seem. Hotsync will work with a variety of PIMs, such as Outlook. The Palm Desktop is provided in case you don't have one. Very few people use the Palm Desktop, but if you do that's okay.

The Blackberry Desktop Manager also syncs with a number of PIMs. You do need to go into the synchronization configuration and set it to the PIM you are using. If it doesn't recognize the Palm program, then you can export from Palm Desktop to an ASCII file, or a spreadsheet, and bring your data into any widely used PIM. If you don't have one, and don't want to buy one, you can use the Yahoo address book. Set Desktop Manager to use whatever program you select, and it should sync up with your Blackberry. Desktop Manager will recognize the choices installed on your computer and it will also read an ASCII file.

Since you are uncertain about all of this, just backup your data so if you have a problem you can just start over.

I hope that is clear. If not, pick a PIM to use and we'll walk you through it.
    02-09-09 05:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD