is it possible to have some one track where I am with their cellphone? I know that my BB8830WE has a location tracker that I have turned off. will that make a difference. just don't want big brother watching where I am.
    08-15-09 11:08 AM
    If you call emergency services, they are becoming equipped to locate your device, usually a very good thing.

The software exists, but it something you have to install and agree to the location monitoring. Parents and children are the primary market.

There is another type of monitoring, it can be installed without your knowledge and consent if you let the phone out of your control. That appeals more the investigative side of spying.

08-15-09 11:26 AM
    BES can monitor this regardless of what you do on the phone. Are you on a corporate network? Also, the phones do have GPS built in that cannot be turned off, so in theory, yes, they can track you.
    08-15-09 11:29 AM
    If you have Sprint you can subscribe for $5 a month to a service which allows you to track all the cell phones on your account.
    08-15-09 11:41 AM
    legally. without court order. no.

with court order? yessum.
    08-15-09 03:55 PM
    You can turn your GPS off in the settings it doesn't have to stay on, because it can drain battery!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-09 05:53 PM
    Just hope Gibbs doesn't have McGee and Abby track you down

08-15-09 07:33 PM
    tracking people with out there knowledge is illegal and in some place a felony charge. I would not recommend this with out there permission.
    08-15-09 08:48 PM
    If he's talking about big brother, nothing is illegal for them.

08-15-09 08:53 PM
    my boss has just got a new phone and told me that it can track where a person is. I was wondering if that was even possible. we are not on a BES.
    08-17-09 08:08 AM
    Forget about big brother what about the WIFE
    08-17-09 11:17 AM
    I also read (think it was a thread in this forum) about a software that could be installed into a persons phone and then be tracked from a desktop or laptop. The GPS location, SMS messages , phone numbers , and even on some phones as long as the phone was on lying around "conversation could be heard from that phone" back to the "tracking" computer(where ever that computer maybe) .
    The only sneaky part would be to install the software on their phone and set it up without their knowledge and they "supposably" could not tell the software was installed on their phone. I forgot what it is called .
    Last edited by DavidNC; 08-17-09 at 11:39 AM. Reason: changed stuff to clarify
    08-17-09 11:32 AM
    08-17-09 11:55 AM
    my boss has just got a new phone and told me that it can track where a person is. I was wondering if that was even possible. we are not on a BES.
    Your boss could do that using like google latitude. A lot of phones have that capability now. He couldn't like visciously spy on you with out your consent. Its completely against the law! Especially if you aren't on a BES because then its just your personal phone.

08-17-09 01:10 PM
    BES basically lets them know everything, position, emails, SMS, all of it.

In regular situations there is a way I have heard of. A carrier could push a module down to your phone and allow them to monitor you without your knowledge. This happened in Saudi Arabia recently.

But as for the scope of the monitoring I have no idea.

But at the end of the day, big brother isn't going to watch you unless they have a reason to. Why would they even care if you are alive unless you show up on their radar?
    08-17-09 02:07 PM
    In Saudi Arabia, users had to download the app from their carrier and install it to their device. Blackberry was quick to come out with a news release providing info on removal of the spyware. So, if you don't let your phone out of your sight and don't install sketchy apps, you'll be fine.
    08-17-09 04:31 PM
    You can simply disable the GPS functionality on your blackberry, and thus your positional data is not being captured, and can't be forwarded otherwise. At least via GPS tracking. If you don't want to be tracked or track employees, simply turn off the GPS on the handsets. That's it!
    02-12-10 09:04 PM
    BerryTraqr can provide real-time tracking data. It can be installed as an app which can be seen and turned off or removed. It can also be installed as a service which makes it very difficult to remove, and few users would know how to even see that it is installed. It can provide alerts for location and when speed thresholds are crossed. Looks like it is targeted towards parents monitoring kids, but there certainly could be other uses as well. I have no connection with this app, I've just tried it out of curiosity for trip logging, geochaching, etc -- actually works pretty well.
    02-12-10 09:23 PM
    I also read (think it was a thread in this forum) about a software that could be installed into a persons phone and then be tracked from a desktop or laptop. The GPS location, SMS messages , phone numbers , and even on some phones as long as the phone was on lying around "conversation could be heard from that phone" back to the "tracking" computer(where ever that computer maybe) .
    The only sneaky part would be to install the software on their phone and set it up without their knowledge and they "supposably" could not tell the software was installed on their phone. I forgot what it is called .
    Smartguard can do some of that if you are able to dl it to someone's phone and then hide the icon.

02-12-10 09:28 PM
    easy, just don't go any place you wouldn't want to be seen in.
    02-13-10 02:05 PM
    Actually, check the EFF's webpage, the court ruled in the Governments favor on thw issue of warrantless cellphone tracking. So yes, the gov. can track you if they so choose to do so regardless if you turn location services off or not. As a former P.I. I can also tell you there are websites to track you just by knowing your phone number using cell tower triangulation with the only way to prevent it is to take the battery out of your phone.

02-13-10 04:57 PM
    there are websites to track you just by knowing your phone number using cell tower triangulation with the only way to prevent it is to take the battery out of your phone
    ...and even then the kind Chinese man working in the noodle restaurant you saw a while ago is actually an undercover agent that is right now behind you to track you.
    02-13-10 05:00 PM
    ...and even then the kind Chinese man working in the noodle restaurant you saw a while ago is actually an undercover agent that is right now behind you to track you.
    Lmao, gotta watch out for those chinese agents

02-13-10 07:43 PM
    Its funny how a lot of people think that they are so important that the government wants to watch your every move.

Get over it your not that important.

02-13-10 11:39 PM
    Wow, some of us are paranoid and some of us watch too much tv. J/k

02-14-10 03:05 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD