I'm very close to getting the Curve. I'm looking for opinions on the trackball usability. I've been using the clickwheel for so long, that I'm afraid trackball will be a disappointment. Has anyone made the jump recently? If so, what are your thoughts? Thanks.
    04-24-08 11:16 PM
    The trackball, at first, was different, when you get used to using the trackwheel for so long, but after just a few minutes, I can not imagine ever going back to a trackwheel. Go for the upgrade.
    04-24-08 11:18 PM
    To me the first thing I miss was not the trackwheel but rather the escape button on the side.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-08 11:22 PM
    Same here. I was hesitant at first but after the first hour I was hooked. Now u can't pay me to go back to the trackwheel.
    04-24-08 11:24 PM
    Yeah, I was actually playing with my 8700c. I would love a berry with both. I do rather the trackball especially for navigating through the main menu. I have a crapload of apps and I don't like hitting each one to get from 'messages' to 'lock' at the opposite end.

Make the switch and test it out. Just remember to set your trackball sensitivity to one of comfort. I kept mine on default.

04-24-08 11:32 PM
    I actually miss the tackwheel to be honest. Not that the trackball isn't good, but the wheel just felt more comfortable for one handed use; at least to me, your opinion may be different. I would honestly like to have a Berry with both; use the wheel for scrolling up and down in emails, websites, and the likes, but still have the trackball for easy side to side navigation, like when clicking links on websites.

Side note for people still using trackwheel Berrys. If you hold alt and scroll, it will scroll up and down instead of left and right.

Also, to the person unhappy about scrolling far to lock the keyboard. You can turn off dialing from the home screen and then pressing the "K" key will lock the keyboard.

04-25-08 01:42 AM
    i am actually glad the track wheel is gone i love the ball it is waaaay better in my opinion
    04-25-08 01:54 AM
    RIM did away with the trackwheel to reduce the thinckness of the device...Dont think it's going to come back again....Trackballs is what all future models will sport....I miss the trackwheel sometimes becuase they were much more sturdy compared to the trackball....
    04-25-08 02:18 AM
    I thought, at first that I would miss the trackwheel, but within minutes I was used to the trackball and I am loving it.....
    04-25-08 02:42 AM
    Im going to deter and say I think the track wheel is smoother. Even though you can adjust the track ball sensitivity I think the track wheel feels much smoother. Plus, its easier to open and close apps with one hand instead of having to use both.

I looooooooooooove my curve tho!
    04-25-08 02:46 AM
    IMHO, the trackball is VERY nice. I have a strong Symbian / Windows Mobile background and I find the trackball very nice to use. I haven't had problems with its getting dirty either - as yet.
    04-25-08 03:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD