I just made the switch from my iPhone to a tour. One of the biggest reasons why was that I really like the feel and the response of the trackball. This is a great UI. I read today that RIM is going to be changing to a track pad. This is a monumental step back. I realize that if it weren't for innovation we'd stil be stuck with the old clickwheels but I really don't see this as an improvement. What would be ideal is if they made phones with the ball and with the pad. That way users could choose. Thoughts?
    08-11-09 05:27 PM
    I think its a big step forward. The trackballs have always reminded me of the old Windows 95 laptops that had that huge ball under the keyboard haha.
    08-11-09 05:30 PM
    I'm not sure where I stand on this yet. I have a condition called Hyperhidrosis, which is a big word for sweaty hands. This has caused some issues with my BB trackball in the past, but nothing major. It would stop rolling (usually up) for a couple of minutes until it would dry out. It would be nice to avoid that, but I have heard that sweaty fingers on the trackpad can cause it to not function properly. Since my fingers are sweaty most of the time, it could be a problem for me. Since January I have been trying out different phones, since my sweat is a problem for the trackball as well as the charging dock contacts on the back of the BB. The acids and salts in the sweat eat away the metal in them, starting with the gold plating. I have had the Curve 8320 (loved it), the iPhone (big Apple fan, but not AT&T service fan, too many dropped calls, everywhere), then the T-Mobile G1 (email sucks on it, but like the phone otherwise) and tomorrow I am getting the Curve 8900 because I need good email, so it is back to the trackball for me. It just works the best for me. Even the touchscreen on the iPhone and G1 were sometimes a problem for me. Mostly on the iPhone, though. The combination of a trackball and touchscreen like the G1 on a BB would be the ultimate phone for me.
    08-11-09 06:04 PM
    i like the trackpad. its nice and responsive. the trackball gets a lotta gunk stuck underneath it.
    08-11-09 07:38 PM
    What would be ideal is if they made phones with the ball and with the pad. That way users could choose. Thoughts?
    Pretty far from ideal... Now you have to produce both, sell both and support both. Say you make 1,000,000 trackball units and they don't sell for crap compared to the 1,000,000 trackpad units you produced.
    08-11-09 07:43 PM
    Trackpad should be less prone to mechanical breakdown. I'll switch when it comes out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-09 07:43 PM
    I don't know though.. mechanical failure is often cheaper/easier to fix on most things than optical/electrical(not sure about BlackBerry yet)

Either way, time/customer experience will tell. T-Mobile customers should make pretty good test cases for it on the 8520, after a while
    08-11-09 07:47 PM
    I don't know though.. mechanical failure is often cheaper/easier to fix on most things than optical/electrical(not sure about BlackBerry yet)

Either way, time/customer experience will tell. T-Mobile customers should make pretty good test cases for it on the 8520, after a while
    It's already slated for the 85xx for Sprint + 97xx for both Tmobile and AT&T.

I think the testing already came and went.
    08-11-09 07:48 PM
    I'm excited about the pad. I really didn't mind occasionally cleaning the trackball on my Curve 8310, but to clean it on the Bold, well, sucks the big one. Why, oh why must RIM require total phone disassembly in order to perform such a routine job? This is akin to requiring one to pull the engine out of their car in order to change the oil: One BIG pain in a place about 3 feet below the back of the neck. And it voids the warranty at that! Do they really think that we should send in our Bolds/Tours/8900's every time the trackball sticks? I'm all for the idea of a pad. I've often wondered why they didn't use a proven pointing device like an eraserhead that the older laptops had.
    08-11-09 08:48 PM
    The Trackpad will do to the Trackball what the Trackball did to the Sidewheel.
    08-11-09 09:18 PM
    I think its a big step forward. The trackballs have always reminded me of the old Windows 95 laptops that had that huge ball under the keyboard haha.
    Hey don't hate! I used to love those rofl. So fun to play with when I was a child and my dad always said to step away from it. Windows 95 was HUGE back in the day!

08-11-09 11:10 PM
    I'll have to try the track pad before I make a decision but I am curious how it compares.
    08-11-09 11:45 PM
    I've never had any problem with the trackball sticking, either on my Curve or Bold. But I'm really particular about my devices and keep them in their cases when not in use. I also have a hand-washing fetish.

The thing I really don't like about it is that it's really hard. So my thumb gets sore when I use it a lot. Not sure what could be done about that, though.
    08-12-09 12:18 AM
    The Trackpad will do to the Trackball what the Trackball did to the Sidewheel.
    i agree.

i guess some will also say, touchscreen will do to the trackpad what the trackpad did to the trackball?

just a matter of time. But now, trackpad seemed the way to go.

08-12-09 01:14 AM
    Seems like an upgrade. Just may take a little time to get used to the difference. I think it's an improvement, because, like others have said, the trackballs get lint and various other things like hair and whatnot caught underneath them and they can be difficult to clean out without replacing the part entirely.

To me, it is like optical computer mouse versus traditional ball mouse. I don't know many people who turn up their nose at the optical mouse because it requires so much less maintenance. I remember having to take apart my ball mechanism all the time on my regular mouse and cleaning it so it would roll around on the mousepad properly. The trackpad should essentially alleviate the same problem.

I like the trackball on my Curve just fine, but I wouldn't say no to a trackpad.

I'm sure time will tell.
    08-12-09 02:18 AM
    i'm interested... need to play with one first. wonder if it can be retrofitted into my 8900?
    08-12-09 02:30 AM
    trackpad all the way no more replacements
    08-12-09 04:16 AM
    All the problems I had with the trackballs over the years, makes me really miss the trackwheel days.
    08-13-09 01:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD