I was thinking about this, I know most users have one or the other touch or not, but sometimes it might be nice to have a option to use a trackball instead of just the touch screen for things.

a Hybrid might be cool

So here is the Idea , a Full Screen like Storm with touch screen and trackball

.. thoughts any one
    08-14-09 06:26 AM
    No way. One or the other. Full physical qwerty and touchscreen, no slider, is my ultimate BB. I'd much rather have a TS for navigating, along with the 4 normal soft keys, but a keyboard for typing.
    08-14-09 08:23 AM
    I was actually thinkin this today while using my Tour. thinkin scrolling down soo far sometimes to click on "ok" or "accept" is a pain.. if you could just push it with your finger would be soo much easier.. but I like my trackball as well.
    08-14-09 12:06 PM
    The BB 9220 has both a touch screen and touch pad. Currently in development at RIM.
    08-14-09 01:15 PM
    With it appearing the trackball being phazed out to the trackpad, doubt you will see that. But I have been waiting to see the 9220 as SurrealCivic talked about. That could be my next BB if its.
    08-14-09 01:17 PM
    errr.. choose 1 dude. its weird to have 2 on the same device. LOL

trackpad seems interesting.
    08-17-09 08:24 AM
    Maybe it's codename will be hermaphrodite.

But in all seriousness, I don't think a trackball/touchscreen makes a lot of sense to me. I'd imagine it would be easier (and slightly quicker) to just tap your finger on the touchscreen where you'd like the cursor to be, as opposed to rolling it to it's posistion.

On the other hand, a touchscreen / qwerty keypad BlackBerry would be sick (not sick as in "sick-gonna hurl", sick as in "woah-cool").
    I can type pretty decently on a touchscreen - better on a keypad... But the current BlackBerrys that I've tried all have my fingers still crying out "bigger KEYS would be nice for a change"!

A slideout portrait keypad hidden away under a Storm-sized touchscreen display? (Giving me the option of using either for daily tasks - not one-or-other, of course).
    Sign me up!
    08-20-09 04:55 AM
    This is the third thread I've seen with this idea, and I wholeheartedly agree with the hybrid idea. I would totally drool over (not literally of course) any phone like that. Someone from RIM development better be trolling this forum and jump on it before the competition does. Lol.
    08-27-09 09:07 PM
    Maybe it's codename will be hermaphrodite.
    +1 on the name!
    08-30-09 06:31 PM
    damn i thought i was the **** who wanted this but its nice to see im not alone. When i started using this website i never really took a huge interest except for having the coolest phone but when I saw how cool the trackball phones worked i almost bought the 8330 but i just couldn't afford it at the time. Then i got to thinking that it would be cool to have a trackpad or a trackball between the four buttons on the storm...anyways i think its a good idea and would buy a phone that had a touchscreen+trackball/pad. If they could get a phone like the storm 2 with the same trackpad from the 8520/30 that would make a cool looking phone...heck i might even try to photoshop it to see what it looks like...
    08-30-09 08:29 PM
    this just seems contradictory... a touch screen could easily function as an enlarged touchpad... can you imagine having a little touchpad at the bottom of the storm 2? that is ridiculous
    08-31-09 08:51 AM
    You guys obviously have never used a treo before. Although the treo in itself has its own set of flaws, there are some great advantages to using a touch screen + directional pad. And yes, it can be done.

I think the perfect blackberry would be touchscreen with trackpad, trackball, directional pad.
    08-31-09 07:35 PM
    ha! and where would you put the screen?
    09-01-09 08:27 AM
    I wouldn't mind having the blackberry tour be touch screen.
    09-01-09 07:21 PM
    The tracball/pad and touchscreen qwerty combo would be my ideal phone too. The cursor would be much more accurate for things like text selection and pressing small buttons, while things like scrolling down and hitting large buttons would be ideal with the touch screen

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-09 10:17 AM
    Agreed, the best of both worlds.

09-02-09 12:47 PM
    You guys obviously have never used a treo before. Although the treo in itself has its own set of flaws, there are some great advantages to using a touch screen + directional pad. And yes, it can be done.

I think the perfect blackberry would be touchscreen with trackpad, trackball, directional pad.
    I'm with you on this one toto. I'm a former Treo user, current Centro user and waiting it out to hopefully get a Magnum or whatever it will be called by BB that has both a touchscreen and a physical keyboard. To have that, 3G, WiFi and a 3.2 camera? I'm all over that one...
    09-02-09 03:33 PM
    touchscreen, trackball, qwerty trio is the ultimate blackberry for me i just like options
    09-03-09 09:44 PM
    I love that idea... If the essex has a touchscreen it would easily be the best blackberry ever

09-03-09 10:28 PM
    I'm on board with this, what you could do (on the storm) is make the physical buttons smaller and slide an optical pad in there that was also a button that would be freaking tits, sometimes when browsing i would love to not have to change to cursor mode how sweet it would be if it just had one there that activated upon touching it....
    09-04-09 12:05 PM
    itd work great for text menus and text selection and things that require precision. using a finger just doesnt have precision in a touch screen
    09-05-09 05:38 AM
    damn i thought i was the **** who wanted this but its nice to see im not alone. When i started using this website i never really took a huge interest except for having the coolest phone but when I saw how cool the trackball phones worked i almost bought the 8330 but i just couldn't afford it at the time. Then i got to thinking that it would be cool to have a trackpad or a trackball between the four buttons on the storm...anyways i think its a good idea and would buy a phone that had a touchscreen+trackball/pad. If they could get a phone like the storm 2 with the same trackpad from the 8520/30 that would make a cool looking phone...heck i might even try to photoshop it to see what it looks like...
    If the track ball was in the middle of the four bottons it would not be comfortable to move the track ball, you would have to use one hand to hold the phon and the other to move the track ball, and it is easier just to move the screen and click on something it is better if the trackball is on the middle of th bb it is way more comfortable xD but it would be a wierd cellphone with a track bal in the middle... or would it??? lol
    09-05-09 12:41 PM
    A Bold form factor, OLED screen, multitouch, trackball, 3G
    & wifi.
    09-07-09 02:32 AM
    I too am a past Treo owner ...... 3 actually and I dearly miss the combo. I left the Treo behind forever because I got fed up with all the problems and lack of support in the way of fixes and updates.

Along with many others, I would jump all over a similar device from RIM. The touchscreen is just so useful for sooooooo many things; I mean really, ever played BeJeweled on your BB Bold, Curve or other ........ It absolutley SUCKS! But I am not only talking about games ....... Again, any power user that has used a Treo will understand ......... But the current RIM touchscreen has got to go ....... It blows. I played around with a friends Storm and in comparison to the screen on my Treo's, my PPC's and other Palm devices, the screen on the storm is a piece of crap.

My Perfect BB:

-Real Touchscreen
    -Full Qwerty Keyboard
    -TrackBall or Touchpad
    -WiFi
    -GPS
    -16gb minimum on board memory (not like the 1gb of useless memory on the Bold) I want to be able to use it for what I want ....... Storage AND Applications!
    -MicroSD
    -Dual Antenas as with the Bold
    -Camera ....... They can stick it up their *rse, all phone cameras suck, use this space for something more useful

All in the form factor of the Bold or 8900 Curve.

And YES ........ I will have fries with that! lol

09-07-09 08:31 AM
    this just seems contradictory... a touch screen could easily function as an enlarged touchpad... can you imagine having a little touchpad at the bottom of the storm 2? that is ridiculous
    I'm totally with you on this. A portion of the touch screen (where the trackball/pad would be) can be the "gesture" area like on the Pre/Pixi. No need for a separate trackball/pad hardware. If you think about where RIM is going with the Storm 2 (buttons integrated into touchscreen), you'd realize that this would make more sense, and the likely direction RIM would take. Less is more.
    09-18-09 04:58 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD