I am about to call Verizon and switch from a Storm to a Tour. I have just grown tired of the touch screen and wanting the keyboard again. The question I have is should I upgrade now since it will be at least a year before I can upgrade again or is there a Tour with Wifi coming out the beginning of next year? Also I was wondering what the benefit if Wifi is? Can you connect to other Wifi computers and transfer or is it just the Wifi call issue?
    08-25-09 09:09 AM
    You can connect to a wifi network for faster data speeds over the standard connection.

The Tour 9650 is the Tour with WiFi but I have heard no talks of that being available on Verizon, atleast yet.
    08-25-09 09:10 AM
    Engadget and BoyGeniusReport are reporting the Storm 2 and Curve 2 on Verizon some time around November, both with wifi.
    08-25-09 09:20 AM
    I am about to call Verizon and switch from a Storm to a Tour. I have just grown tired of the touch screen and wanting the keyboard again. The question I have is should I upgrade now since it will be at least a year before I can upgrade again or is there a Tour with Wifi coming out the beginning of next year? Also I was wondering what the benefit if Wifi is? Can you connect to other Wifi computers and transfer or is it just the Wifi call issue?
    Whats your plan for switching to a Tour. You're just gonna call and say you want to switch even though you signed a 2 year plan with the phone and have had it for less than a year? Or are you still within 30 days? Any who... Tour won't have WIFI on VZW and Storm 2 Curve 2 RUMORS are that they will have WIFI. Benefits being talking on the phone and rcving email and also for travelling to avoid extra charges and such.
    08-25-09 09:43 AM
    Well I was going to switch phones using the VIP program because my contract is up in April of 2010. I still have the Storm too. I'm not on the internet that much with my phone and feel the phone is fast enough considering it is a phone. I use the phone mostly for emails and Google Maps for work. As far as the Wifi do you have to find a hot spot like Starbucks or Panera for it to work? Or can you be anywhere and get a Wifi signal?
    08-25-09 09:55 AM
    You have to be in a wifi zone like a coffeehouse or a home with wifi. Tour will almost certainly come in a Wifi version.. Plazmic, the theme builder, shows a wifi icon for the Tour.
    08-25-09 10:33 AM
    I've never had a need for wifi with my Tour
    08-25-09 10:42 AM
    You have to be in a wifi zone like a coffeehouse or a home with wifi. Tour will almost certainly come in a Wifi version.. Plazmic, the theme builder, shows a wifi icon for the Tour.
    There was WIFI icon when I was building a Storm theme. It means nothing.
    08-25-09 10:48 AM
    I dont think I would have a need for Wifi either because when I am near a Wifi spot I usually have my laptop with me anyways. Thanks for the input!!
    08-25-09 12:10 PM
    I dont see the need for WIFI if you already paying for a BB data plan
    08-25-09 12:24 PM
    My thoughts exactly. I just called to try and do an early upgrade and they said I had to wait until October.....now I'm sad.....
    08-25-09 12:51 PM
    Wifi on the Tour may be a nice to have. But to me it's fast enought as is.
    08-25-09 02:49 PM
    Sometimes i wonder whats faster, my computer or my 3g Tour. Ok maybe my computer but you get the point.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-09 03:28 PM
    i was looking at the Tour at a Verizon stand at the mall as i was walking through, and the DUMBASS behind the counter was trying to hype the Tour and its features. He stated the Tour as having Wifi, and being the first BB device with it.
    I gave him a look, put the Tour down and just walked away. It blew me away.
    08-25-09 03:31 PM
    Uses for Wifi:

- Airlines are now allowing/selling Wifi connections while in flight. Your BB data plan won't be allowed during flights (and my 17" laptop just doesn't fit between the seats).

- SlingBox works best over Wifi.

- There are a few apps (like the TV2Go website - do't remember the real name) that only work over WiFi. If you don't have Wifi, it won't work on your BB.

- Some places I go are remote and don't have 3G cell coverage (and can have limited cell coverage), but they do have WiFi connection.
    08-25-09 03:34 PM
    Uses for Wifi:

- Airlines are now allowing/selling Wifi connections while in flight. Your BB data plan won't be allowed during flights (and my 17" laptop just doesn't fit between the seats).

- SlingBox works best over Wifi.

- There are a few apps (like the TV2Go website - do't remember the real name) that only work over WiFi. If you don't have Wifi, it won't work on your BB.

- Some places I go are remote and don't have 3G cell coverage (and can have limited cell coverage), but they do have WiFi connection.
    pplz never seem to realize these points...3g is all fine and well, UNTIL you get to a location that has horrible cell coverage, or a building that you cant really get a signal in...then what you gonna do? and like you said, some airlines offer/sell in-flight wifi...and i'm not really a fan for whippin out a laptop in an already cramped space. i know i hate it when the person next to me does that, and has their elbows all up in my space cuz they're tryin to type and what not...
    08-25-09 03:43 PM
    pplz never seem to realize these points...3g is all fine and well, UNTIL you get to a location that has horrible cell coverage, or a building that you cant really get a signal in...then what you gonna do? and like you said, some airlines offer/sell in-flight wifi...and i'm not really a fan for whippin out a laptop in an already cramped space. i know i hate it when the person next to me does that, and has their elbows all up in my space cuz they're tryin to type and what not...
    When abroad, can use free or dirt-cheap wifi hotspots without necessarily having to get a SIM card with data services. Booya!
    08-25-09 03:56 PM
    I can see the uses for WiFi, but it's not something I particularly care about....Just my opinion
    08-25-09 07:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD