First post!

I'm the proud new owner of a Blackberry Tour. Just got it about 2 weeks ago. My first one had a bad trackball problem I brought it in got it exchanged and the one I have now is perfectly fine have yet to have any problems with it for about a week and a half.

I just had a quick question for you guys. I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong section feel free to move it if necessary. I've done quite a bit of googling trying to find my answer and have had no luck unfortunately because there seems to be a lot of conflicting information. First off I'm a Verizon customer have been for a long time and I'm very happy so far with their service. When I bought the phone one of the advertised features was built-in GPS. I'm hearing rumors that Verizon actually locks the GPS capability of the phone so you're forced to purchase their VZNavigator service for $9.99 a month. I've used VZNavigator before and I was very unimpressed with it. I don't have a problem with spending the money I just wasn't very happy with the app.

I called and talked to Verizon customer service and they were pretty vague about the whole thing but the person I talked to said he "Believed the Tour GPS chip was not locked". Now after lots of google work I've seen quite a few people saying its locked and quite a few saying the Tour is completely unlocked just previous BB's were locked. I'm looking at buying Garmin Mobile GPS app for the $99.99 one time fee but I want to make sure it'll work before I spend the money. There is an option on Garmin's site for either a built in GPS phone or a phone without GPS built in that comes with a bluetooth GPS antenna but it costs $150. Garmin has a 7 day free trial but they don't provide it to Verizon customers because most Verizon phones are locked to not work with their software. I basically just want to have GPS with me on my phone wherever I go. What is the best option to accomplish that? I know Garmin is a pretty big name in GPS so I figured they would be the ones to go with. I'm open to suggestions though.

Thanks a lot for your time I appreciate it
    08-10-09 09:43 PM
    The GPS on the Tour is NOT locked..so you are not stuck using VZNav...

If you're dying for turn by turn directions...there are a few free alternatives....Google Maps will pinpoint your location...but there is no turn-by-turn built into it
    08-10-09 09:46 PM
    The GPS on the Tour is NOT locked..so you are not stuck using VZNav...

If you're dying for turn by turn directions...there are a few free alternatives....Google Maps will pinpoint your location...but there is no turn-by-turn built into it
    Awesome thanks for the fast response

I definitely want turn by turn directions where I can set my phone on my lap or on the seat in my car and just listen to it. I don't want to have to look at it to see where I need to go. Are there free apps that will do that or no? I honestly don't mind spending the $99 for Garmin mobile if it will work and there is no free app thats decent.

Another quick question for you. What about the Curve 8330? Is that locked? My dad has that phone and wanted me to check.
    08-10-09 09:49 PM
    check the gps subforum for more info and assistance.

There are amazegps and nav4all - both free and some folks like and other do not like one or the other.

Oh, the curve is locked although there have been threads that Rim had to use a REAL gps chip in one release since they had run out of the more limited one - so some folks claim there are some unlocked one.
    08-10-09 11:36 PM
    Thanks for the tip. I downloaded both Nav4all and Amaze gps and got them working. I definitely prefer Amaze GPS out of the 2 but neither of them seem to work great. The UI's for both of them aren't very good and the PoI's seem to be very lacking (Couldn't find Walmart or Mcdonalds) but what do you expect for free GPS. I suppose they're pretty good for free.

Does anyone have experience with Garmin Mobile? I have a feeling it'll be leaps and bounds ahead of these and if so I have no problems forking over the $100. I just don't want to spend $100 and find out its not much better. Unfortunately Garmin doesn't give Verizon customers a free trial
    08-11-09 10:16 PM
    A number of months back I was able to get a free Garmin trial but I don't recall the link - it was not the normal link sequence, I think someone had posted the link.

For a while, you could get Garmin for about $20 off by getting it through the BB Lounge. I don't know if that's still available.
    08-11-09 10:38 PM
    Yes, I had the $99 Garmin app on my Sprint Curve and its great. $99 is pricey for a gps app but its much, much better than those free ones you've tried.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-09 10:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD