Well, I wanted to start off by saying that I (like many others) are actually on the edge about buying the full touchscreen BB10 phone (going from a Bold 9930 amazing keyboard). I think I just might go and do it, but there are little things that seem to bug me on my PlayBook about having full touchscreen over a physical keyboard. One of these things is of course shortcut keys.

Well yeah, I think I can manage not being able to press "M" or "N" on the homescreen to get to my messages and BBM, but rather the shortcut keys used inside of the browser.

Using "F" for find, and more importantly "T" for top and "B" for bottom. Especially when reading CrackBerry comments I find myself then scrolling the screen up for like 20 seconds to finally get back to the top, which I guess isn't a big deal, just kind of irritating.

So I was wondering what they could potentially do to the touchscreen instead of relying on the Web Developers (like myself) to put matters like these into our own hands. For instance, on a website I am currently making, I have it so when you scroll down at all from the top of the page, a "go back to top" button appears in the bottom right corner. This is greatly helpful if you are on mobile as you are able to go back to the top of the website at ANY time... But again, I am one of the few people implementing features like this into the websites I make.. I feel that it would be quite easy to somehow implement these features into the touchscreen somehow.. Even if you had it so swiping down from the top you can press an icon labeled "find", "top", "bottom", etc. I mean it's not THAT big of a deal, just one of those things that I feel is really irritating to not have.

An example of what I mean about the "back to top" button appearing when scrolling down can be seen here (if you don't understand what I'm talking about): Bath & Shower Works | Official Site

I am really curious what the CrackBerry community has to say about this, or if people are thinking this too, but simply overlooking it as it is kind of a small thing, but it is one of those things that helps "get sh!t done quickly" as is BlackBerry's new motto.
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 05-14-12 at 11:41 PM.
    05-14-12 11:38 PM
    For a full touchscreen device, shortcut keys aren't needed. On the homescreen, you would be able to access apps by just pressing the screen which would be the same action as hitting a key. In the browser, there are usually long presses that can achieve certain commands or features. For scrolling, swiping seems efficient enough. Plus, tpo have shortcut keys on a full touchscreen you would need to have access to the soft keyboard at all times. That defeats the purpose of having an all touchscreen.
    05-15-12 02:54 AM
    For a full touchscreen device, shortcut keys aren't needed. On the homescreen, you would be able to access apps by just pressing the screen which would be the same action as hitting a key. In the browser, there are usually long presses that can achieve certain commands or features. For scrolling, swiping seems efficient enough. Plus, tpo have shortcut keys on a full touchscreen you would need to have access to the soft keyboard at all times. That defeats the purpose of having an all touchscreen.
    Unless the home screen panel has around 30 icons all within easy reach of your thumb, keyboard shortcuts are more convenient. I will probably wait until the keyboard BB10 comes out, as I feel the same as the OP. Being able to quickly switch between tabs by pressing "W", instead of having to reach for the icon in the top right corner of the screen is really convenient, and that's just one example.
    05-15-12 03:02 AM
    I love scrolling shortcuts like "T" for top and "B" for bottom.

Obviously, as Dywane says, this would mean having access to the soft keyboard all the time which defeats the purpose of a full touch device.
    However, I would love for RIM to incorporate gestures for scrolling. Since their OS is so imbedded with gestures, they can make some gestures for going to the top or bottom. They should have incorporated this in the PB browser also.
    Its a pain to scroll to the top of a long webpage.
    05-15-12 03:55 AM
    I love scrolling shortcuts like "T" for top and "B" for bottom.

Obviously, as Dywane says, this would mean having access to the soft keyboard all the time which defeats the purpose of a full touch device.
    However, I would love for RIM to incorporate gestures for scrolling. Since their OS is so imbedded with gestures, they can make some gestures for going to the top or bottom. They should have incorporated this in the PB browser also.
    Its a pain to scroll to the top of a long webpage.
    That is what I am trying to say.. I am not saying they should have the keyboard sticking out at all times or whatever Dywane is assuming I am saying... Even just having an embedded button that can be seen by swiping down from the top of the screen (shows other tabs, refresh, history, etc.) it wouldn't hurt to just have a "top", "bottom", and "find" feature...

No it would NOT mean access to the soft keyboard at all times.. If you want to be able to go top/bottom/search the page you simply swipe down then click the top/bottom/find icon.. It would be HIDDEN at all times unless you so choose to select it is what I was saying in my original post. You can't just take away the "find" option.. That's not just something that is substituted somehow, it was just completely taken out, and that feature is EXTREMELY useful...

And yes, I also agree that they should implement some type of gesture feature to do this, although when you start making it so like 3 fingers scroll up to go instant top/3 finger scroll down to go instant bottom, then people might complain that they are stealing apple's gesture ideas (which is absolutely stupid, but that's just how people are). I'm sure they could implement something, and really there is no reason not to. They did leave out simple but important features that I hope they realize and put them back into OS10.

For a full touchscreen device, shortcut keys aren't needed.
    I couldn't disagree with you more.. like I mentioned in the other part of this post, they TOOK OUT the FIND function on the touchscreen phones which is just absolutely stupid and pointless to have gotten rid of... Shortcut keys don't HAVE to mean pull out the keyboard and use those keys as shortcuts, shortcut keys also mean what are already in the touchscreen phones "e.g. Refresh, Bookmark, History, Favorites, Forward, Backward, Hide Top Bar, etc."

They could EASILY just throw in a little magnifying glass icon in the top and when you touch it, it allows you to "find" on the page, again with an up arrow, down arrow icon (top and bottom).. Saying "for a full touchscreen device, shortcut keys aren't needed" is pretty much a way of you just accepting that they left out important features and defending the fact that they left them out... I guarantee that you cannot give me one good reason AGAINST them putting a find/top/bottom shortcut in the top bar as all it would do is save time for the user, while giving up absolutely NO screen realistate... that's ALL.
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 05-15-12 at 04:28 AM.
    05-15-12 04:10 AM
    I like the button idea.
    There are a few websites that have incorporated that in their pages.
    What I noticed was that if I started scrolling really fast on my PB, a button would automatically appear in the direction of scrolling. Pressing the button would take you to the end of whichever direction that you were scrolling in. Pretty neat.
    05-15-12 05:55 AM
    I like the button idea.
    There are a few websites that have incorporated that in their pages.
    What I noticed was that if I started scrolling really fast on my PB, a button would automatically appear in the direction of scrolling. Pressing the button would take you to the end of whichever direction that you were scrolling in. Pretty neat.
    I have never seen this before, I have of course incorporated the button to go back to the top of the page, but I have never seen one that allows you to go top/bottom depending on which way you are scrolling. Care to supply me with a website in which this is done? As i'd be very interested to figure out how to implement this advanced feature over just the "back to top" button appearing in the bottom right.

Thanks
    05-15-12 08:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD