Good article promoting BlackBerry and BB10.

In Ottawa circles, it's BlackBerry or bust

Nice to see the change from the National Post and Globe and Mail's coverage of RIM lately (although with the paywall I don't know what the G&M says anymore).
    11-10-12 11:40 AM
    Actually, I've found the G&M to be quite fair. Iain Marlowe one of their tech heads is a big fan but isn't afraid of reporting some hard truths. Actually, most journalists amongst the major rags in Canada still sport a BB of some description, mostly because of the keyboard.
    11-10-12 12:15 PM
    with the paywall I don't know what the G&M says anymore
    Delete your cookies from theglobeandmail.com. Problem solved.
    bungaboy and Dapper37 like this.
    11-10-12 12:42 PM
    a nice read although i doubt the n- series will be out a few months after the l series, i think it'll be maybe a month tops

the claims that BB10 will be DOA are far from true, the inicial release seems like it will be great for RIM and loyal users will rack up the cash withing the first few months. i have a vision of RIM stock being worth in the $40 range, i want to invest now as at that point i'll probably end up making $70k ish. tis a nice little chunk of coin
    11-10-12 01:18 PM
    WOW....um...I'm actually surprised at the article reception here at CB. Here's another article about the event I saw yesterday:

BlackBerry 10 event: No sizzle, no steak

Kind of interesting as it takes a stance I've seen from some here that RIM is making a mistake by no-showing.
    11-10-12 07:15 PM
    WOW....um...I'm actually surprised at the article reception here at CB. Here's another article about the event I saw yesterday:

BlackBerry 10 event: No sizzle, no steak

Kind of interesting as it takes a stance I've seen from some here that RIM is making a mistake by no-showing.
    As stated 100 times already, RIM is holding back tons of stuff for the launch. I for one believe that to be the best stratagy! I'm not supprised that a journalist jumped on the chance to squew the event in a negative light!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-10-12 08:08 PM
    As stated 100 times already, RIM is holding back tons of stuff for the launch. !
    Uh...yes...that's what the article is about.
    I for one believe that to be the best stratagy!
    !
    That's good. Some don't, so it's an interesting debate.
    I'm not supprised that a journalist jumped on the chance to squew the event in a negative light!
    Well...not sure why you're not saying that about the first article as well. In any case....I think your supposition is unwarranted. "Journalists" is quite a generalization indeed, but if you are actually convinced that journalists "(jump) on the chance" to do this, then I assume no articles of are interest to you. I doubt that's the case, I think you're just firing off rhetoric, so come on: let's do better than that.
    11-10-12 08:59 PM
    reading that article was the biggest waste of my time today. Sounds like another spoiled brat who did not get what he wanted. Does anyone actually think that the software will be shown to journalists a full quarter before release?
    11-10-12 09:20 PM
    Uh...yes...that's what the article is about.

That's good. Some don't, so it's an interesting debate.

Well...not sure why you're not saying that about the first article as well. In any case....I think your supposition is unwarranted. "Journalists" is quite a generalization indeed, but if you are actually convinced that journalists "(jump) on the chance" to do this, then I assume no articles of are interest to you. I doubt that's the case, I think you're just firing off rhetoric, so come on: let's do better than that.
    You caught me, I couldn't be bothered to read the article. I've read enought with titles like that to feel I knew what he was going to say .)
    Cheers!
    11-11-12 12:23 AM
    QUOTE; Vivek Bhardwaj, the head of RIM’s software portfolio, tried to explain the absence of the real BB10. He said the company had made the decision to hold off showing the new device or the final version of the BB10 software “until closer to launch.” RIM doesn’t want to tip competitors to its secrets.

I rest my case and although I didn't even have to read the article to know what I would get with the title as is. I read it! what a waist of time!
    Last edited by Dapper37; 11-11-12 at 12:53 AM.
    11-11-12 12:31 AM
    QUOTE; but if you are actually convinced that journalists "(jump) on the chance" to do this, then I assume no articles of are interest to you.

Really! Its called an educated guess.. next time I'll stick with it!
    Last edited by Dapper37; 11-11-12 at 12:54 AM.
    11-11-12 12:35 AM
    As stated 100 times already, RIM is holding back tons of stuff for the launch. I for one believe that to be the best stratagy! I'm not supprised that a journalist jumped on the chance to squew the event in a negative light!
    Is that what you're hoping, since BB10 hasn't exactly received an overwhelming reception?

Sorry to bust your bubble, but that's also what they said about WP8, and th ace up their sleeve turned up to be.... Nothing rally, whichnI suspect will b the same case here. RIM might have a minor feature they're not publicly demoing, but there's no way that they're holding back "tons of stuff"

BB10 has been released for carrier testing for crying out loud, there's just absolutely no way that anything major isn't available already in all the preview releases and developer versions that they've already seeded.
    red_devil_fan_1999 likes this.
    11-11-12 04:05 AM
    Is that what you're hoping, since BB10 hasn't exactly received an overwhelming reception?

Sorry to bust your bubble, but that's also what they said about WP8, and th ace up their sleeve turned up to be.... Nothing rally, whichnI suspect will b the same case here. RIM might have a minor feature they're not publicly demoing, but there's no way that they're holding back "tons of stuff"

BB10 has been released for carrier testing for crying out loud, there's just absolutely no way that anything major isn't available already in all the preview releases and developer versions that they've already seeded.
    Carriers only test how the phone performs on their network, not the whole ecosystem. I happen to know for sure more is coming, not necessarily new things but things people are currently complaining are missing from current devices.
    11-11-12 08:59 AM

The "tons of stuff" is likely the launch app catalogue. That's pretty much what Bla1ze alluded to (or flat out stated) in another thread. There's not a lot of core BB10 that we haven't already seen, but RIM is hoping to have a big list of apps to show everyone at launch.

I believe that they're struggling to get some top tier apps on board for launch, judging by the fact that they're now offering money straight-up for people submitting games during the port-a-thon. We haven't seen any concrete evidence either way though, so all we can really do is wait.
    richardat likes this.
    11-11-12 09:11 AM
    I believe that they're struggling to get some top tier apps on board for launch, judging by the fact that they're now offering money straight-up for people submitting games during the port-a-thon. We haven't seen any concrete evidence either way though, so all we can really do is wait.
    You may believe that RIM is struggling to get top-tier apps on board for launch, and of course there is a possibility that you are correct, but I don't think that the port-a-thon is evidence of this. The incentives provided by RIM are clearly designed to attract smaller game studios that need a hand with porting. I don't think EA or any top game studio is interested in $100.00, or a free PlayBook.
    11-11-12 01:52 PM
    I'm going to bookmark this post and will respond when we see all the wonderful stuff RIM is holding back for launch.

If it's strictly big name applications they're holding back for launch, then it's not really going to turn a lot of heads because iOS and Android will still had a HUGE advantage with regards to quality and quantity of apps. Having a nice selection of quality apps is a good thing, and RIM may come out with just that at launch - but this will really only convince a portion of those on the fence about leaving Blackberry.

RIM needs a game-changer and I'm still not seeing it and I really doubt we'll see it on launch.
    richardat likes this.
    11-11-12 06:53 PM
    please keep the discussion civil guys
    11-11-12 07:37 PM
    QUOTE; Vivek Bhardwaj, the head of RIM’s software portfolio, tried to explain the absence of the real BB10. He said the company had made the decision to hold off showing the new device or the final version of the BB10 software “until closer to launch.” RIM doesn’t want to tip competitors to its secrets.

I rest my case and although I didn't even have to read the article to know what I would get with the title as is. I read it! what a waist of time!
    Right Dapper, and while I appreciate your honest in admitting you didn't read the articles (have the eerie feeling a lot of people didn't read the first, and assumed it was "good" for RIM). As you see, the 2nd article freely acknowledged that RIM has stated that strategy, but the author is questioning if it's 1.necessary 2.the right move.

I don't think that topic is a waste of time, and other members have asked the same question in the last little while, but it's completely subjective....if you do, that' fine.
    11-11-12 08:18 PM
    The "tons of stuff" is likely the launch app catalogue. That's pretty much what Bla1ze alluded to (or flat out stated) in another thread. There's not a lot of core BB10 that we haven't already seen, but RIM is hoping to have a big list of apps to show everyone at launch.

I think you're probably right, but that's troublesome. I would like to believe there are still pie-in-the-sky dream features, but as you say - the thought also occurred to me - it seems even more unlikely now that the phones are out for testing. To be frank, I'd expect some kind of leak by now....but who knows.

If it is the apps, the problem I see is that, even if they DO bring all the top apps on board, that won't differentiate them at all....just bring them up to par in that area.

Not to say it isn't important, obviously, it is. They need that, but I'm assuming there wont' be any special exclusive killer-apps.
    11-11-12 08:23 PM
    So, Apple gives away all the new stuff, and has a how hum launch (info wise, that is) and sells gazillions of phones. RIM holds back, and is slammed for it. Ya can't win....
    11-13-12 05:30 AM