well, i kinda lost my way. VZW screwed my bill up and i was without a phone at all for a bit, i ended up going to AT&T because VZW didn't wanna play ball...AT&T cut my bill in half each month and gave me a plan that included more. anyhow, the day i set it all up, i wanted to save some money, so i decided to try the Samsung Jack.

well, it's not that it's a bad phone. it's actually a decent phone, but it just ain't a Blackberry...and i wanna come back home. i'm torn between two phones, the Curve 8900 (the Tour isn't offered through AT&T) and the Bold. the Curve 8900 is $199 after rebate with 2-year contract (which i have now) and the Bold is $299 after same rebate.

my question is this...i've looked over both and i realize the Bold offers SOME things over the Curve 8900 but i'm not really sure what all it offers. i guess what i need help with is this...is it worth the extra $100? what makes it worth it?

thanks guys/gals!
    09-08-09 11:26 PM
    I've never used a Curve, but the Bold is a great device. To my knowledge, the Bold is to date one of the best BB's ever. I'd say, go with it.
    09-08-09 11:43 PM
    well, i kinda lost my way. VZW screwed my bill up and i was without a phone at all for a bit, i ended up going to AT&T because VZW didn't wanna play ball...AT&T cut my bill in half each month and gave me a plan that included more. anyhow, the day i set it all up, i wanted to save some money, so i decided to try the Samsung Jack.

well, it's not that it's a bad phone. it's actually a decent phone, but it just ain't a Blackberry...and i wanna come back home. i'm torn between two phones, the Curve 8900 (the Tour isn't offered through AT&T) and the Bold. the Curve 8900 is $199 after rebate with 2-year contract (which i have now) and the Bold is $299 after same rebate.

my question is this...i've looked over both and i realize the Bold offers SOME things over the Curve 8900 but i'm not really sure what all it offers. i guess what i need help with is this...is it worth the extra $100? what makes it worth it?

thanks guys/gals!
    Wait for the Onyx!
    09-08-09 11:44 PM
    I don't have a Bold, but to me it's the ultimate BB. I don't know if it's the way it looks, and it may not compare as well to the Tour, but there's something about the Bold that makes me want it! Now with that said, based on what little info u have stated regarding what you want, I'd go with the 8900. Nothing against the Bold, but unless you're doing a lot of multimedia downloads (i.e. Youtube, etc) the extra speed that the 3G offers really isn't going to make a noticable difference for you're everyday use. Sure, maybe web pages might load a little faster, but unless you use your browser ALL THE TIME, I don't think the regular data service is going to make the difference. The other downfall to the Bold is that if you keep it in 3G mode, (which it will always be in unless you upgrade to a different OS, one that isn't ATT approved, unless I'm wrong and if so someone please correct me) your battery life will be less than what you will get with the 8900. Granted, I'm not an ATT customer, so I have no first hand experience with either of these models (the newest BB that my carrier offers is the damn Pearl Flip!) but just from what I've read and what I know, I say your best choice for everyday use is going to be the 8900.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-09 11:45 PM
    is the Onyx coming to AT&T? and how fast? see, i messed up and started the contract...i have 30 days (about 25 now) to take this phone back and get something different...so i'm kinda in a time crunch. unless i wanna pay $500+ for a phone outta contract...and i'm not exactly rolling in dough...
    09-08-09 11:45 PM
    so the 8900 doesn't support 3G? it does make a difference, i notice when my Samsung Jack isn't using 3G, it moves a good bit slower through pages. i do a lot of internet surfing on my phone and watch YouTube a lot. my Pearl served me great, i just want an upgrade from it. and like i said, this Jack isn't horrible, i'm just not happy with Windows Mobile like i was the Blackberry setup.
    09-08-09 11:47 PM
    I haven't heard that the Onyx is coming to ATT anytime soon, at least, not within a month. Even if it did, it'd cost a **** load, and it's probably not worth it, especially with options like the Bold and 8900. I think T-Mobile (of course) will be the first to offer the Onyx (bastards!!).

09-08-09 11:50 PM
    so the 8900 doesn't support 3G? it does make a difference, i notice when my Samsung Jack isn't using 3G, it moves a good bit slower through pages. i do a lot of internet surfing on my phone and watch YouTube a lot. my Pearl served me great, i just want an upgrade from it. and like i said, this Jack isn't horrible, i'm just not happy with Windows Mobile like i was the Blackberry setup.
    No, the 8900 isn't a 3G phone (by definition), so if you do a lot of web browsing and youtube, pony up the $100 and get the Bold, from what I hear you certainly won't be disapointed! Like I said, I'd LOVE to have one, too bad US Cellular is CDMA and they don't offer the Bold. ****, they probably won't get the Tour till 2011!!

09-08-09 11:54 PM
    is the Onyx coming to AT&T? and how fast? see, i messed up and started the contract...i have 30 days (about 25 now) to take this phone back and get something different...so i'm kinda in a time crunch. unless i wanna pay $500+ for a phone outta contract...and i'm not exactly rolling in dough...
    I had heard some time this year, but I don't know for sure because I'm not following it closely (not being an AT&T user). If you aren't able to wait for it, I'd say get the Bold because it's 3G, whereas I think the 8900 is not.
    09-08-09 11:55 PM
    If you use the net a lot id go with the Bold for the 3G.
    09-08-09 11:57 PM
    hmm. well, i really appreciate the input, keep it coming! they both have the hi-def screen, and looking at everything else i didn't really see why i should spend the $100...but the 3G thing does help make that decision a little easier...
    09-08-09 11:58 PM
    Here are the main differences I see:

Size/Weight:
    Length
    4.48"/114mm (Bold)
    4.29"/109mm (Curve)
    Width
    2.6"/66mm (Bold)
    2.36"/60mm (Curve)
    Depth
    0.59"/15mm (Bold)
    0.53"/13.5mm (Curve)
    Weight
    4.8 oz/136g (Bold)
    3.9 oz/109.9g (Curve)

Curve has Bluetooth 2.0, Bold doesn't?

Bold's screen: 480x320
    Curve's screen: 480x360

Talk time:
    Standby time
    Up to 13.5 days (Bold)
    356 hours (Curve)
    Talk time
    Up to 4.5 hours (Bold)
    5.5 hours (Curve)

Bold: 1GB onboard memory

Flash memory:
    Bold: 128MB
    Curve: 256MB

Bold has no sleep mode?

Networks:
    Bold has and Curve does not have:
    Wi-Fi: 802.11a
    2100 MHz UMTS
    HSDPA networks
    09-09-09 12:11 AM
    i dunno, i've been reading over the Blackberry website and i'm actually leaning toward the Curve 8900. i mean, the Bold is bad ***, but it seems like for $100 less, the Curve 8900 has more features. yes, the 3G doesn't seem to be supported but i could honestly live without that i think. i've obviously been surfing (unbeknownst to me) without 3G for almost a year on my Pearl and it's been fast enough for me.

some things i notice different are the fact that the Curve 8900 has a 3.2 MP camera, while the Bold only has a 2.0 MP. the Curve has BT 2.0, while the Bold doesn't. the Bold has no sleep mode...that's how i save my battery...can't imagine being without it. the Curve has a 1 hour longer battery life comparing talk time to talk time...and that's my biggest complaint with my Samsung Jack...the battery dies FAST. the Curve supports SDHC and hot-swappable SD cards, where the Bold just supports regular MicroSD.

it just seems like the Curve has more overall features for $100 less...please, if i'm reading into this wrong, someone "show me the way". i like to have a phone that can "do it all", and while i love the fact that the Bold supports a few more media/audio types, and the HSDPA network support is great too...i just don't know if that's enough to justify $100 more dollars up front.

thoughts?
    09-09-09 01:08 AM
    I love my Blackberry 8900! :P its a lot more slimmer than the bold. Even without the 3G it is still fast, & the wifi helps when your at home.

They both have up & downs so get the cheaper one if you ask me. :]]
    09-09-09 01:22 AM
    i dunno, i've been reading over the Blackberry website and i'm actually leaning toward the Curve 8900. i mean, the Bold is bad ***, but it seems like for $100 less, the Curve 8900 has more features. yes, the 3G doesn't seem to be supported but i could honestly live without that i think. i've obviously been surfing (unbeknownst to me) without 3G for almost a year on my Pearl and it's been fast enough for me.

some things i notice different are the fact that the Curve 8900 has a 3.2 MP camera, while the Bold only has a 2.0 MP. the Curve has BT 2.0, while the Bold doesn't. the Bold has no sleep mode...that's how i save my battery...can't imagine being without it. the Curve has a 1 hour longer battery life comparing talk time to talk time...and that's my biggest complaint with my Samsung Jack...the battery dies FAST. the Curve supports SDHC and hot-swappable SD cards, where the Bold just supports regular MicroSD.

it just seems like the Curve has more overall features for $100 less...please, if i'm reading into this wrong, someone "show me the way". i like to have a phone that can "do it all", and while i love the fact that the Bold supports a few more media/audio types, and the HSDPA network support is great too...i just don't know if that's enough to justify $100 more dollars up front.

thoughts?
    I think you're on the right track to figuring it out yourself. As I typed up those differences in the above post, I was saying to myself that the Curve seems all around better anyway, despite the assertion that the Bold is the "best" BB. I'm not entirely sure why it still *is* considered the best.

For me, the doubled memory of the Curve is a pretty big feature, along with the smaller form factor. And if you don't mind the lack of 3G then there really is no reason to get the Bold instead. I think you figured it out.
    09-09-09 01:22 AM
    despite the assertion that the Bold is the "best" BB. I'm not entirely sure why it still *is* considered the best.
    The Bold has the best keyboard, it has the fastest processor and its overall form is what makes it the best BB. The Bold has a great overall feel to it, and by just looking at it you can tell it is a flagship device.
    09-09-09 02:07 AM
    eh, i've used a Bold before and my buddy's Tour...(AT&T has the 8900 instead of the Tour) and honestly, i don't see what makes the keyboard that much "better". and the form thing is subjective. i'm not getting a Blackberry so i can be the coolest guy on the block...i'm getting a Blackberry so i can have a quality phone that can do anything i want it to do, that will excel where other phones drop the ball.

thanks a lot for all the help guys/gals, but i think i'm going with the Curve 8900 unless someone just comes in with the "bombdiggity" arguement that changes my mind. i can put that $100 towards something more important...like other toys...haha
    09-09-09 10:57 AM
    The Bold has the best keyboard, it has the fastest processor and its overall form is what makes it the best BB. The Bold has a great overall feel to it, and by just looking at it you can tell it is a flagship device.
    Personally I wouldn't call it the flagship as the only thing it has over the 8900 is a faster processor and 1GB internal flash. Otherwise, the hardware specs are less all around.

Form factor and keyboard are a matter of personal preference so they can't be compared and I feel it is the same for 3G vs. EDGE connections.
    09-09-09 11:10 AM
    624mhz (Bold) vs 512mhz (Curve).

All the other things you mention are purely subjective.
    09-09-09 11:37 AM
    The way I see it, the only thing the Bold has over the 8900 is 3G and that isn't a big deal to me. The 8900 has a better camera, it's smaller (if that's important to you), the screen is great although it may not be that noticeable and best of all, it never seems to have any problems. I guess it really comes down to how important 3G is to you. I haven't tried it but for what I do, the speed of the 8900 is fine.
    09-09-09 11:50 AM

thanks guys/gals!
    If I were you and in your position I would definitly get the bold over the 8900 just for the 3g alone and the better keyboard as well a faster phone theb the curve

09-09-09 12:08 PM
    If I were you and in your position I would definitly get the bold over the 8900 just for the 3g alone and the better keyboard as well a faster phone theb the curve
    Remember that the Bold's faster processor is only part of the equation. The Curve has twice as much memory.
    09-09-09 12:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD