I was just wondering if there has been any talk of Verizon offering the Torch any time soon? I am not due for an upgrade for several months yet, but just inquiring for now.

Thx!
    01-23-11 09:28 AM
    You're more likely to see a new Storm than a CDMA Torch.
    01-23-11 10:28 AM
    You're more likely to see a new Storm than a CDMA Torch.
    That's something I just can't figure out. You'd think they'd want to distribute their flagship phone as widely as possible. Exactly what did AT&T ante up for that exclusivity? Or maybe the question is, what is Verizon demanding of RIM in exchange for carrying better BB phones? I'd sure like to have been a fly on the wall when either of those conversations took place.
    01-23-11 01:13 PM
    I see the Torch being similar to the 9000 – an at&t exclusive. You’re more likely to see a horizontal slider on VZW and/or the Storm 3. I have no interest in a horizontal keyboard. I’d look at the Storm 3, but I REALLY want to see a Dakota on VZW.
    01-23-11 01:33 PM
    That's something I just can't figure out. You'd think they'd want to distribute their flagship phone as widely as possible. Exactly what did AT&T ante up for that exclusivity? Or maybe the question is, what is Verizon demanding of RIM in exchange for carrying better BB phones? I'd sure like to have been a fly on the wall when either of those conversations took place.
    The problem with that logic is that the Bold line is the flagship line for Blackberry, not the Torch.
    01-23-11 04:13 PM
    I see the Torch being similar to the 9000 an at&t exclusive. Youre more likely to see a horizontal slider on VZW and/or the Storm 3. I have no interest in a horizontal keyboard. Id look at the Storm 3, but I REALLY want to see a Dakota on VZW.
    The only reason the original Bold was exclusive to AT&T was because T-Mobile was behind in implementing their HSPA network. Otherwise, it would not have been an exclusive.
    01-23-11 04:16 PM
    There is no evidence of a torch for verizon or sprint. Although I wish there was.
    01-23-11 04:19 PM
    Doubtful, especially since the Torch2 is already in testing.

VZW will most likely be getting the Monaco (or Storm3) soon.
    01-23-11 06:04 PM
    There was some chatter out there the S3 was going to be a slider.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-11 06:42 PM

Right, but with the Monaco specs posted, it will be full touch (unless the Monaco isn't released as a Storm-series phone and a new slider-leak shows up claiming to be the S3)
    01-23-11 06:50 PM

I hope not. I'm cool with them taking surepress out, but leave it at that.
    01-23-11 06:51 PM
    I hope not. I'm cool with them taking surepress out, but leave it at that.
    again, don't worry, the monaco is not a slider. Just look at the specs info and the pictures.
    01-23-11 07:11 PM
    again, don't worry, the monaco is not a slider. Just look at the specs info and the pictures.
    As long as those specs are true, I'm excited. And if any of the time frames are correct it will come out just in time for my upgrade.
    01-23-11 07:17 PM
    You know, all this is really nice. But I'm still concerned that CDMA is not getting the Respect I would like to see. I haven't had a new BlackBerry for CDMA since the Bold 9650 (Tour 2)

No, I don't Count the Style.

01-24-11 01:04 PM
    We sprint users are still waiting for the carrier's 1st touch screen BB.
    01-24-11 04:30 PM
    You know, all this is really nice. But I'm still concerned that CDMA is not getting the Respect I would like to see.
    The problem is that most of the world doesn't give a damn about CDMA. The (inferior) technology has always pretty much been limited to North America and now even the major Canadian carriers have switched to HSPA. Essentially, Verizon and Sprint are the only major carriers left on the technology and Verizon's relationship with RIM has known better days.
    01-24-11 07:24 PM
    The problem is that most of the world doesn't give a damn about CDMA. The (inferior) technology has always pretty much been limited to North America and now even the major Canadian carriers have switched to HSPA. Essentially, Verizon and Sprint are the only major carriers left on the technology and Verizon's relationship with RIM has known better days.
    That may be true but in the US CDMA is the dominant technolgy. The best networks with the most coverage and least dropped calls. No surprise the top 3 of the 5 major carriers reviewed by consumer reports were all CDMA. The bottom of the pile number 4 Tmoble and 5 AT&T are GSM.
    01-24-11 09:24 PM
    CDMA=2G
    GSM=2G, 2.5G, 3G, 3.5G, etc.

01-24-11 09:49 PM
    CDMA is far superior for call quality. Better coverage in the US also. I do like GSM for running data and voice at the same time.

01-25-11 06:50 AM
    Being limited to the USA is not a bad thing. Americans will spend money on Cell phones. I'm a Sprint Customer, and if I catch just a whiff of a new BlackBerry on Sprint, and I'll be all over it. (Style not Included) I'm convinced that Sprint and RIM need to sit at the table, Break Bread, and get Me a New Phone.

01-25-11 11:56 AM
    CDMA is far superior for call quality.
    As someone who recently updated from an 8530 to a 9800, I beg to differ.
    01-25-11 08:10 PM
    No the torch will not be offered on verizon, verizon still has many bb customers despite focusing on android and the new release of iphone. I hope to see 2 or 3 new blackberry handsets on verizon in 2011 hopefully some will be 4g compatible but only time will tell.
    01-25-11 08:28 PM
    As someone who recently updated from an 8530 to a 9800, I beg to differ.
    I am sure the 9800 is a superior device big upgrade from the 8530. Wish VZW had one. However, I have tried both at&t and Verizon and travel extensively. CDMA networks smoke GMS for call quality.
    01-25-11 08:42 PM
    Welp so much for a CDMA torch. 2011 RIM roadmap is out and not a hint of a torch device. Guess the rumors were just that. Rumors. :-(
    01-27-11 09:30 PM
    No the torch will not be offered on verizon, verizon still has many bb customers despite focusing on android and the new release of iphone. I hope to see 2 or 3 new blackberry handsets on verizon in 2011 hopefully some will be 4g compatible but only time will tell.
    Good, maybe sprint does have a chance at getting the Torch
    01-28-11 03:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD