N4BB has just released a photo of a Torch 9850 branded with the Verizon label. More and more stuff is popping up everyday with different brands, I hope this means we are getting close.

More articles by Lucas Atkins � Written by: Lucas Atkins
    Tags: Torch 9850, Verizon Wireless

Earlier this week we saw the BlackBerry Bold 9930 surface with the Verizon Wireless boot screen, a sure sign it should hit Big Red. Now, the Torch 9850 has been spotted with a hardware brand on the battery door for Verizon Wireless. This is a great sign that Verizon Wireless will be getting a �Torch�, even if it isn�t the Torch you thought they�d get. Nonetheless, we�re pretty stoked about getting this bad boy, hopefully RIM will soon release it.
    BlackBerry Torch 9850 Surfaces with Verizon Wireless Branding � N4BB – News for BlackBerry – leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews
    07-22-11 11:57 AM
    Here's the picture for everyone who doesn't want to click:

ZMc1834 likes this.
    07-22-11 11:58 AM
    Thanks for that, my picture didn't want to go in for some reason, thanks again.
    07-22-11 12:10 PM
    Let's hope the release date is soon. And, please let this come to tmobile.
    07-22-11 12:18 PM
    T-mobile is 9860, and rumors are T-mobile has said "No. No thank you. No." Reasons have not been leaked.
    07-22-11 12:37 PM
    T-mobile is 9860, and rumors are T-mobile has said "No. No thank you. No." Reasons have not been leaked.
    You have seen it, POST it. or your just the standard rain cloud you always are.
    07-22-11 12:40 PM
    I'm sorry. Dapper. Actually outside of dealing with RIM on a daily basis, I'm a pretty happy upbeat guy. I certainly didn't mean to bring you or any one down. I often speak from the hip, which upsets many, who don't care to see. But my intent is not to make anyone upset, it is just to shine light where I don't see any.

I've seen this rumor on 1 or more threads on the Monaco/Monza boards. I don't remember which ones - but I'do the search for you. I also received similar news from our firm's rep (we use an outside group to arrange deals and contract with all carriers for our BBs). Our firm's preferred carrier is T-Mobile, and I was looking forward to switching from Verizon's incredibly expensive Family plan to T-Mobile, so each time I heard a rumor, I took note. But as I said above, its rumors and speculation. And one I REALLY hope is really not true.
    07-22-11 12:48 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...mobile-630243/

Here's a whole thread about it. But there's more. I have a conference call and a 1,200 pages to review before 5:30, or I'd locate more for you. But again they're only rumors. Even if its on the internet, even it its on CB, even if I say it, doesn't make it true. Which is why I said, "...rumors are ..."
    Dapper37 likes this.
    07-22-11 12:56 PM
    Was the usb port an after-thought? Why is it sticking out like that? Did RIM forget to put it in then realized they needed it?

One of the reasons I love BlackBerry phones is because they feel great in my hand. That extrusion on the side for the port would drive me nuts feeling that. I haven't even touched it and it already is...
    07-22-11 01:29 PM
    Was the usb port an after-thought? Why is it sticking out like that? Did RIM forget to put it in then realized they needed it?

One of the reasons I love BlackBerry phones is because they feel great in my hand. That extrusion on the side for the port would drive me nuts feeling that. I haven't even touched it and it already is...

it is because of the shape of the device with the contours they couldn't put the charging port in and make it work. they they build up around it.
    07-22-11 01:46 PM
    it is because of the shape of the device with the contours they couldn't put the charging port in and make it work. they they build up around it.
    Right, so maybe they should have made the contours a little different, so the port doesn't seem like an after-thought. Maybe sink the port in some more? Also, what would be wrong with a bezel like on the 99XX?

I'm not interested in this phone, the 9930 is what I want, I'm just appalled that RIM would make such a strange design flaw (imo) when they usually make some sexy devices.
    07-22-11 02:01 PM
    I too am interested in the 9930 but I would also take a look at this as well. The larger screen may make it more appealing to me.
    07-22-11 02:44 PM
    I too am interested in the 9930 but I would also take a look at this as well. The larger screen may make it more appealing to me.
    My thoughts exactly. I'm coming from a Storm 1 then 2 so it only seems natural to go with what is basically the Storm 3. The Bold looks really great too though.

It's not exactly a bad pickle to be in though.
    07-22-11 03:55 PM
    My thoughts exactly. I'm coming from a Storm 1 then 2 so it only seems natural to go with what is basically the Storm 3. The Bold looks really great too though.

It's not exactly a bad pickle to be in though.
    Same situation. Debated on which way to go and considered getting both but decided on 9930 now and touch screen QNX phone next year.
    07-22-11 04:01 PM
    Same situation. Debated on which way to go and considered getting both but decided on 9930 now and touch screen QNX phone next year.
    That's totally understandable. Plus, I have my Playbook for my heavier media use, so maybe the Bold would suffice. So hard....
    07-22-11 04:03 PM
    Right, so maybe they should have made the contours a little different, so the port doesn't seem like an after-thought. Maybe sink the port in some more? Also, what would be wrong with a bezel like on the 99XX?

I'm not interested in this phone, the 9930 is what I want, I'm just appalled that RIM would make such a strange design flaw (imo) when they usually make some sexy devices.
    USB ports always are afterthoughts after the shape is "cast" you can't recess a port in more becuase you need the connector and docking stations to fit in it,
    Their only option would have been bottom placement but I am betting speakers got in the way there I really think I it isn't an issue in terms of the over all look

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-11 04:10 PM
    It doesn't bother me at all.
    07-22-11 04:22 PM
    Man it is quite a problem. I too have a playbook but write quite a few emails. I do OK with the playbook keyboard when I use it. But I also like the hard keys of the 9650, but I do make typos on it too because of the small keys.

I want the 9850 for everything except email, I wish I could find out more about the new keyboard and how much better it is than the storm.
    07-22-11 07:23 PM
    USB ports always are afterthoughts after the shape is "cast" you can't recess a port in more becuase you need the connector and docking stations to fit in it,
    Their only option would have been bottom placement but I am betting speakers got in the way there I really think I it isn't an issue in terms of the over all look

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    So you're telling me they don't even think about port placement until the phone body design is completed? That just seems completely dumb and ignorant to me.

I'm not trying to start a big argument with you, because this is a personal preference kind of thing. I myself don't think it looks too bad, but I think it would bother me when trying to type and use the phone as much. It reminds me of the Powermat case for the 9800.

Also, as I said, I'm looking forward to the 9930. I was an owner of both Storms and they left a bad taste in my mouth. The Torch's touchscreen isn't too bad, but I hate slider phones and desperately need a real keyboard. The 9930 is perfect for me.

I never wanted this new 9850 in the first place, so this extrusion we're arguing about is just another reason for me to not want it.
    07-22-11 07:36 PM
    07-22-11 07:53 PM
    Here's another shot (sorry newbee can't post images, link-ish below). I received a demo unit of the 9850 from VZW. This pic shows the rocker panel with a mute button between the two volume keys and camera button (no additional convenience keys). Poor idea of a mute button if you like to adjust volume while in call, hard not to hit mute button while trying to raise the volume with phone up to your ear. At least there is an audible beep to notify you of the change of state.

Nice phone but lacking some features for us to push an upgrade to staff. Missing Adobe Flash and mobile hotspot capability (as far as I can tell).

I really like the physical buttons on the bottom but I occasionally run into problems using the trackpad and registering inadvertent clicks on the touchscreen. It would be nice if user could add a "bezel" and take away some screen space to add accessibility to those less nimble users

Integrated Youtube "app" is nice but even connected to WiFi videos play jerky with artifacts on fast moving scenes; especially if you switch from portrait to landscape while video is playing.

Our business critical apps are working on the new OS (7.0.0.187) and multi-tab browser is great!

Also this is the first VZW phone I've known to give a beep after the far end hangs up. Days of talking to yourself on VZW network may be over!

Feel free to reply with questions as I'll monitor this post over the weekend. Only have phone for 1 more week.

http:SLASHSLASHpostimageDOTorgSLASHimageSLASH13q2j fbd0
    07-22-11 08:58 PM
    I'm not trying to start a big argument with you, because this is a personal preference kind of thing. I myself don't think it looks too bad, but I think it would bother me when trying to type and use the phone as much. It reminds me of the Powermat case for the 9800.
    The port does look odd in pictures but in reality you don't notice it's there. Even while typing.

Also pinch to zoom is real nice in browser and pictures. Doesn't work in docs to go.
    Last edited by ChunkyCoats; 07-22-11 at 09:10 PM.
    07-22-11 09:02 PM
    Here's another shot (sorry newbee can't post images, link-ish below). I received a demo unit of the 9850 from VZW. This pic shows the rocker panel with a mute button between the two volume keys and camera button (no additional convenience keys). Poor idea of a mute button if you like to adjust volume while in call, hard not to hit mute button while trying to raise the volume with phone up to your ear. At least there is an audible beep to notify you of the change of state.

Nice phone but lacking some features for us to push an upgrade to staff. Missing Adobe Flash and mobile hotspot capability (as far as I can tell).

I really like the physical buttons on the bottom but I occasionally run into problems using the trackpad and registering inadvertent clicks on the touchscreen. It would be nice if user could add a "bezel" and take away some screen space to add accessibility to those less nimble users

Integrated Youtube "app" is nice but even connected to WiFi videos play jerky with artifacts on fast moving scenes; especially if you switch from portrait to landscape while video is playing.

Our business critical apps are working on the new OS (7.0.0.187) and multi-tab browser is great!

Also this is the first VZW phone I've known to give a beep after the far end hangs up. Days of talking to yourself on VZW network may be over!

Feel free to reply with questions as I'll monitor this post over the weekend. Only have phone for 1 more week.

http:SLASHSLASHpostimageDOTorgSLASHimageSLASH13q2j fbd0
    Thanks for the feedback. There is a .261 leak out there and I've heard some carriers have even been pushed similar builds. I would say try that since you have it for another week if it is allowed. It might fix many of your issues. From videos I've seen months ago it seemed the Bold 9900 looked overly sensitive to light input. The same could be with the 9850. I would imagine since everything needs to be rewritten to support the new internal hardware, earlier builds might not be optimized correctly.

I'm sure it keeps getting better with software updates.

Also, I will post your image but it is not working for me with filling in slashes and dots still. Are you sure you typed it correctly? There is no .jpg extention or anything?
    07-22-11 09:10 PM
    Urban Glow Cam, sent PM with link.

Just checked for updates. I'm downloading Bundle 1328 now (11.9MB).

Probably YouTube choppiness can be fixed with update. The processor on the phone should be able to handle it. The phone is very responsive. IMHO more responsive than PlayBook (well at least the PB OS in early June, hadn't gotten my hands on it since latest update).
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    07-22-11 09:56 PM
    Urban Glow Cam, sent PM with link.

Just checked for updates. I'm downloading Bundle 1328 now (11.9MB).

Probably YouTube choppiness can be fixed with update. The processor on the phone should be able to handle it. The phone is very responsive. IMHO more responsive than PlayBook (well at least the PB OS in early June, hadn't gotten my hands on it since latest update).
    Thanks a lot. From the looks of it, I always thought it looked slightly more responsive than the PlayBooks browser at least. But then it doesn't run flash which takes a big toll on the PlayBook. If you turn off flash it runs smoother though.

Here is the image you wanted to post.

On behalf of all of us, thank you!
    07-22-11 10:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD