BlackBerry Torch 9850 & 9860 NOT Going to Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile? � N4BB � News for BlackBerry � leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews

A major blow to RIM's American market leaving out two major carriers. T-Mobile will eventually be take over by AT&T but in the meantime, losing lots of potential customers looking for a large touch-screen BlackBerry.
    08-03-11 12:23 PM
    I don't think we should count them out just yet. First off, we've seen several branded Verizon Torch 9850s throughout the year. Second, they didn't seem to announce Verizon as a carrier for the 9930 either. Yet we've seen several of those as well and even caught an official video demonstration of the 9930 on the Verizon website.

I think Verizon just may want to be hush hush for now. Rumor is that the 9930 will launch next week on VZW. If we don't hear anything by then, I'd be a little worried.
    08-03-11 12:27 PM
    I think Verizon will get the 9850, and we are all but certain they are getting the 9930 based on that leaked video, plus THAT is a no brainer. You would also think they are getting the coming Curve too. The 9810 though, which has never had ANY talk of a companion CDMA model, would seem to be the one that is not coming and is remaining an ATT exclusive with the possible exception being their new acquisition, TMobile.
    08-03-11 12:45 PM
    So why did they make a 9860 with the 1,4,8 HSPA bands that only WIND and Tmobile use if they aren't going to carry them? Doesn't make sense to me. I think RIM just left them out of the tweet's, confusing the twits that follow than nonsense.
    08-03-11 12:55 PM
    AT&T is Americas largest cellular provider and even larger than Verizon. Good move in RIM's behalf to go for top dog first.
    08-03-11 12:59 PM
    RIM went GSM first with Global bands, expect CDMA announcments to follow in the next few weeks, Verizon gets to control their announcements,

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-11 01:07 PM
    I don't think we should count them out just yet. First off, we've seen several branded Verizon Torch 9850s throughout the year. Second, they didn't seem to announce Verizon as a carrier for the 9930 either. Yet we've seen several of those as well and even caught an official video demonstration of the 9930 on the Verizon website.

I think Verizon just may want to be hush hush for now. Rumor is that the 9930 will launch next week on VZW. If we don't hear anything by then, I'd be a little worried.
    What would the business strategy be for being hush hush on a device launching next week?

A suprise midnight launch to catch everyone off guard? Why?
    08-03-11 01:34 PM
    AT&T is Americas largest cellular provider and even larger than Verizon. Good move in RIM's behalf to go for top dog first.
    just dug around and found this... from July 23rd 11

Verizon now counts 106.3 million subscribers, compared to the 98.6 million total subscribers on ATT.
    even if its wrong.. they are VERY close... so only picking AT&T is downright moronic - you are cutting out 100 MILLION potential CUSTOMERS!!!!
    08-03-11 01:56 PM
    What would the business strategy be for being hush hush on a device launching next week?

A suprise midnight launch to catch everyone off guard? Why?
    Verizon and RIM have been known to have announcement events in the past. I should know, I was at the RIM/Verizon Storm 9530 event in 2008. Then again, that was an exclusive device launch for them.

But it doesn't mean they can't have their own announcement in some form or another.
    08-03-11 01:58 PM
    If VZW does not pick up the 9850 for us Storm users to upgrade to another all-touch device, well.... I'll be a Sprint customer at that point. I did notice they still have the Storm 2 on their website for $199. That's insane at this point.
    08-03-11 02:00 PM
    I am really looking for the nice big screen on this phone. I sure hope VZ offers it.
    08-03-11 02:02 PM
    If VZW does not pick up the 9850 for us Storm users to upgrade to another all-touch device, well.... I'll be a Sprint customer at that point. I did notice they still have the Storm 2 on their website for $199. That's insane at this point.
    I agree... I have the S2.. and I can upgrade any time now..... If they dont get the 9850. Im not sure what to do! I want it!!! I guess I could just wait till QNX. lol
    08-03-11 02:05 PM
    They're still behind Verizon, by subscriber numbers. When and if AT&T acquires T-Mobile USA, they will definitely be America's most popular carrier BY FAR, about 130 million users.
    08-03-11 02:08 PM
    I've had a Storm 1 since March 2009 and have been out of contract over 4 months now. I don't care about QNX right now. I just want a phone that has enough memory to load Poynt and Facebook at the same time!

Well... actually I want the 9850 and am stalking the forums waiting for some indication of VZW plans. Sometimes I feel that they are trying to drive all their customers to the iPhone which I have zero interest in using. Only BB for me....
    08-03-11 02:12 PM
    I swore 7 years ago I'd never go to AT&T, but if Verizon doesn't get this phone before AT&T I'm gone.I've had my s1 since Nov 2008, and it's not going to make it much longer.
    08-03-11 02:42 PM
    AT&T, in Southern Cal anyway, is horrid. Only reason most of my friends are even on it is the iphone, and now, a few have left. Horrible service, horrible coverage. I won't switch carriers, but will switch operating systems now.
    08-03-11 02:47 PM
    AT&T sucks here, but they're better than sprint, and I have to have a BB for work.
    08-03-11 03:15 PM
    AT&T, in Southern Cal anyway, is horrid. Only reason most of my friends are even on it is the iphone, and now, a few have left. Horrible service, horrible coverage. I won't switch carriers, but will switch operating systems now.
    So true. This is HORRBILE news if we don't get this phone on Verizon. I switched to AT&T from VZW years back to get my first BlackBerry, the Bold 9000, becaue I thought it was the best handset. The ATT network was so terrible I only lasted 6 mos, paid my cancellation fee, and went back to Verizon and got a 9530.

The Storm and I have had a great run, but I've got to replace it soon. If I can't get a 9850 on VZW I am gonna be so dissapointed in RIM. I just bought a PlayBook--will I be forced to get the lame 9930? Or switch to Sprint?

So many of us VZW 9530 and 9550 customers have been WAITING for this new phone it's just crazy if they don't release it on VZW. Many BB customers would rather finally submit and get an iPhone before they will leave VZW.
    Last edited by ChrisInSD; 08-03-11 at 03:44 PM.
    08-03-11 03:38 PM
    The iPhone is a toy for children to play with. Not very business oriented and just plain ugly all around. As usual Big Red isn't listening to their own "Air Waves" and BB customers are filing out the door as we speak. Could be just a ploy to drop some of their long timers to free up some of that unlimited bandwith they want to charge an arm and a leg for. Mu contract was up last week and holding on for a new BB with dual core . I'd like the full torch or the bold or **** maybe both. Lol!

08-03-11 03:53 PM
    So true. This is HORRBILE news if we don't get So many of us VZW 9530 and 9550 customers have been WAITING for this new phone it's just crazy if they don't release it on VZW. Many BB customers would rather finally submit and get an iPhone before they will leave VZW.
    That is the exact same boat I am in.....kind of stuck with VZW where I live so if the storm i have dies I may have no choice....
    08-03-11 04:00 PM
    The iPhone is a toy for children to play with. Not very business oriented and just plain ugly all around.

Unbelievable that people continue to spew this nonsense in 2011.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    K Bear likes this.
    08-03-11 04:01 PM
    Unbelievable that people continue to spew this nonsense in 2011.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Agree--we BB fans needs to stop saying these stupid things if we want to be not regarded as crazy zealots (which we seem to be in danger of becoming).

My global 140,000 employee company opened the gates to iPhone and Android earlier this year and my colleagues are all dropping the BBs like crazy. Somehow, our business has continued to operate without productivity or security problems occurring...it's a real mystery...
    K Bear and Simon Sage like this.
    08-03-11 04:10 PM
    I really hope vzw gets the 9850. If they do, I am dropping my iphone4 very quickly.
    08-03-11 04:44 PM
    The iPhone is a toy for children to play with. Not very business oriented and just plain ugly all around. As usual Big Red isn't listening to their own "Air Waves" and BB customers are filing out the door as we speak. Could be just a ploy to drop some of their long timers to free up some of that unlimited bandwith they want to charge an arm and a leg for. Mu contract was up last week and holding on for a new BB with dual core . I'd like the full torch or the bold or **** maybe both. Lol!

I've never owned an iPhone, but sorry, this is just the old crap BB fans liked to post, and it's just not true.
    08-03-11 05:28 PM
    Well I own an iPhone and Blackberry IMO BlackBerry is better for business because of the email and BBM. Have you ever set up business email on an iPhone? Now back to the scheduled topic!
    08-03-11 05:51 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD