First off, I did search and I could not locate any recent threads on this topic. But if i missed one I'm sorry.

Noob here! Just joined the site. I've used two BBs and loved them both. My first one was a 7 series I believe, and it was for work. Currently, my personal phone is a Torch 9800 via AT&T.

I will be eligible for an upgrade in July. I'm not interested in waiting for the BBX OS. I'm the type of person that usually buys after the first year has gone through full real-world testing. I like for others to work out some of the bugs!

As I said, my personal phone is the 3G version of the Torch. I like the phone. It does all I need just fine and I couldn't be happier. My one gripe is that the sliding keyboard now seems to wiggle a bit. I'm assuming after 2 years of use the springs are starting to weaken. Not a big deal, but I do notice it more and more...

Anyway, I was curious if any Torch users had migrated to the new Bold and what their impressions were. I haven't gone to a store yet to shop and compare, but I think my biggest concern is screen size. I know the Torch doesn't have a huge screen, but it is fairly large and I wonder if it is hard to go back to a smaller screen.

I know in the end this is mostly a personal decision for me and my likes, but I'd enjoy some others input.

Thanks!
    04-21-12 11:01 PM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    bold 9900 is pretty awesome! .....
    jamesbemery likes this.
    04-21-12 11:04 PM
    I have the Bold 9900 and my brother has the Torch 9810. Both are truly awesome phones and if not for the keyboard and aesthetics I might buy the 9810.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-21-12 11:15 PM
    i had the Torch 9810 before going to the Bold 9900n both are great phones. However, the Bold 9900 just fits my style better. i love the keyboard and touch screen combo when using it. i got tired of the slide keyboard and never used the touch screen keyboard enough.

04-21-12 11:21 PM
    First off, I did search and I could not locate any recent threads on this topic. But if i missed one I'm sorry.

Noob here! Just joined the site. I've used two BBs and loved them both. My first one was a 7 series I believe, and it was for work. Currently, my personal phone is a Torch 9800 via AT&T.

I will be eligible for an upgrade in July. I'm not interested in waiting for the BBX OS. I'm the type of person that usually buys after the first year has gone through full real-world testing. I like for others to work out some of the bugs!

As I said, my personal phone is the 3G version of the Torch. I like the phone. It does all I need just fine and I couldn't be happier. My one gripe is that the sliding keyboard now seems to wiggle a bit. I'm assuming after 2 years of use the springs are starting to weaken. Not a big deal, but I do notice it more and more...

Anyway, I was curious if any Torch users had migrated to the new Bold and what their impressions were. I haven't gone to a store yet to shop and compare, but I think my biggest concern is screen size. I know the Torch doesn't have a huge screen, but it is fairly large and I wonder if it is hard to go back to a smaller screen.

I know in the end this is mostly a personal decision for me and my likes, but I'd enjoy some others input.

Thanks!
    May I chime in?

I don't have a Torch but I do have both an iPhone and 9900 I go back and forth between. Two things keep me putting my sim back in my iPhone - screen size and apps.

I'm not gonna lie, as nice as the display is on the 9900, and it is, it's very hard to use when used to the larger screen.

Sent from mah braiiiiinzzzz using
    Tapatalk
    04-21-12 11:22 PM
    I have a Torch 9810 and would always recommend it as the best phone RIM makes, but the 9900 has caught my eye as of late. Both are great devices, but the 9900 is a truly beautiful phone. While the 9810 has a great screen, sometimes you may find the keys a bit small (especially if you have large fingers). However, you would enjoy either device! It just depends on which form-factor you prefer.
    04-21-12 11:49 PM
    I love my 9810 that I upgraded from the 9800. I read all the reviews on the 9900 which I really was drooling all over for, but in the end, I chose the 9810 for the auto focus camera.
    I didn't have to worry about the smaller-ish keyboard (vs the 9900) since I type with my fingernails, once I get these dang scissors off..

But the choice is up to you... go to the store and try them out and see what feels better for YOU.

04-21-12 11:54 PM
    I have a 9800 and it is an awesome phone. I just purchased a 9860, but I started looking at the bold and got my hands on one at the phone store. Very cool. You will definitely notice the screen size deference. Find a store you can demo one at. I'm going to run this 9860 for a while and if I'm not blown away I'm selling and getting a bold. The key board is awesome. Your definitely not losing anything with the 9810. It's got all the power and both worlds.
    04-22-12 02:50 AM
    when i was picking up my phone, i chose the 9810 instead of a 9900 because of the larger screen and slider form factor, without checking out either of the devices in person. Now that my father bought a 9900, i got the opportunity to compare the devices and i feel that 9900 has got a better finish and feels more sturdy. The chrome on my torch has started to wear off and the slider wobbles, so sometimes it doesn't feel like a premium design. On the other hand, the bold feels very solid.

And the keyboard on the bold is beyond compare. So would recommend a bold unless you absolutely love the slider form factor or definitely want a larger screen.

P.S. : you asked whether the bold's screen feels small. personally, after having handled the torch 2 for months, the bold's screen didnt feel small at all, it has the same resolution anyway. however when surfing the web, the larger screen on torch might help with the small font on some pages. That been said, you'd have to zoom in on most pages to read the text anyway on a mobile device, so imo the slight size advantage wouldnt matter much
    Last edited by harshalbid271; 04-22-12 at 03:39 AM.
    04-22-12 03:34 AM
    I had the 9800 before getting the 9900 and am glad I didnt go for the 9810. Mainly because of the awesome keyboard. The one thing I miss is the on screen shortcuts that appear when in certain apps like "send message" when in the messages app, or "my location" when in blackberry maps. Unless there's a way to do this with the 9900? Anyone?
    04-22-12 04:16 AM
    It's a matter of personal preference. I went from a 9700 to the 9800 and I enjoyed the touchscreen for simple tasks but found it impossible to type on. I am nearly as fast typing on my iPhone as I am on the Torch's physical keyboard but can't type on the 9800 on screen keyboard at all.

Consider that fact if you're putting the two against each other. I believe the 9810 has a re-designed virtual keyboard over the 9800 but see if you can find a store and have a play.

The screens are different sizes but the same resolutions so if you're not going to use the on screen keyboard on the 9810 then the 9900 with it's permanent non slide keyboard is probably the choice.

Having used my girlfriend's 9900 I can say the physical keyboard on that is the best of any Blackberry I've used.

I still found my 9800 camera produced better shots than my girlfriends 9900 so again do some comparisons between the 9810 and 9900 cameras if photos are important to you.

Do a comparison between the 9810 and 9900 on http://www.versusio.com/en and then have a play in the store. We can all offer advice but in the end it's a personal decision.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    04-22-12 06:33 AM
    i had the Torch 9810 before going to the Bold 9900n both are great phones. However, the Bold 9900 just fits my style better. i love the keyboard and touch screen combo when using it. i got tired of the slide keyboard and never used the touch screen keyboard enough.

I'm glad to see someone that has had both phones. What is your "style"?
    04-22-12 04:54 PM
    Thanks for the input! The change in screen size is something I am concerned about. While the Torch does not have the largest screen in the market, it is a fairly decent sized screen...
    04-22-12 04:56 PM
    when i was picking up my phone, i chose the 9810 instead of a 9900 because of the larger screen and slider form factor, without checking out either of the devices in person. Now that my father bought a 9900, i got the opportunity to compare the devices and i feel that 9900 has got a better finish and feels more sturdy. The chrome on my torch has started to wear off and the slider wobbles, so sometimes it doesn't feel like a premium design. On the other hand, the bold feels very solid.

And the keyboard on the bold is beyond compare. So would recommend a bold unless you absolutely love the slider form factor or definitely want a larger screen.

P.S. : you asked whether the bold's screen feels small. personally, after having handled the torch 2 for months, the bold's screen didnt feel small at all, it has the same resolution anyway. however when surfing the web, the larger screen on torch might help with the small font on some pages. That been said, you'd have to zoom in on most pages to read the text anyway on a mobile device, so imo the slight size advantage wouldnt matter much

This may actually be the most helpful. Your complaint about the wobbly slider is something that is really starting to bug me. I've had a few slider phones and they all start this wobble-mess eventually; which is about the time I start looking for an upgrade. As for screen size, thank you! I have to zoom in on almost every page on my Torch now to read anything usually. I've never owned a different platform/OS but I'm assuming that is how the internet looks on a smartphone.

This makes the 9900 more compelling...hmmm
    04-22-12 05:02 PM
    I had the 9800 before getting the 9900 and am glad I didnt go for the 9810. Mainly because of the awesome keyboard. The one thing I miss is the on screen shortcuts that appear when in certain apps like "send message" when in the messages app, or "my location" when in blackberry maps. Unless there's a way to do this with the 9900? Anyone?
    I'm not sure what you are saying. Are you talking about when you tap the screen and hold and it gives you a truncated form of the 'menu' options?
    04-22-12 05:05 PM
    Having used my girlfriend's 9900 I can say the physical keyboard on that is the best of any Blackberry I've used.

I still found my 9800 camera produced better shots than my girlfriends 9900 so again do some comparisons between the 9810 and 9900 cameras if photos are important to you.

Do a comparison between the 9810 and 9900 on Which mobile? - VERSUS IO and then have a play in the store. We can all offer advice but in the end it's a personal decision.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    I'm glad to hear there is a better keyboard out there. I do like my QWERTY physical keyboard and use it almost exclusively, but the keys can sometimes be a little small.

What is the deal with the camera on the 9900? I've read a few post on it. Is this a software glitch or a hardware issue?

Checked out the site you suggested...pretty cool. Again it looks like the BOLD is winning...
    04-22-12 05:17 PM
    I'm not sure what you are saying. Are you talking about when you tap the screen and hold and it gives you a truncated form of the 'menu' options?

No. Im talking about the row of shortcuts on the bottom of the screen. Kinda hard to explain
    04-23-12 02:20 PM
    Like everyone has said, it just boils down to one thing really:

Bigger screen? Or the best keyboard BlackBerry has to offer?

I'm personally over the keyboard myself, I don't care about it. I bought a 9860 and don't regret it at all, I think it is the best phone BlackBerry has right now. I much prefer the bigger screen for my media consumption, and the on screen keyboard is more then adequate for all of my typing needs.

As for the camera, the 9900 camera simply does not have an auto focus feature built in. This can be a problem at times when it comes to the clarity of the pictures you take. That is why the 9900 camera is generally considered to be inferior to the OS7 phones with auto focus. I'm not sure why RIM didn't include auto focus on all the phones.

The BlackBerry keyboard, for me at least, is old news. It's no longer a selling feature for me. I'll take a nice big touch screen over it every single time going forward.
    04-23-12 02:38 PM
    I have both, and switch between them every two weeks or so. I do think the 9900 has an undeniably better feel, the keyboard is nothing short of awesome, and if you use the speakerphone often, the 9900 kicks booty.

That said, I find myself liking the 9810 a bit more than the 9900, as I'm getting older, and my eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be. In my line of work, eyeglasses get covered with sawdust and chainsaw oil pretty quickly, so I'm really just stalling the inevitable. The larger screen is helping out with that.

Both phones rock, but in the end my 9810 wins for my particular situation, although your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by AugustArborists; 04-23-12 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Misspelling
    04-23-12 04:18 PM
    Sorry for the old thread, but I�ve just upgraded from a torch 9800 to a bold 9900, and I really miss this feature! One of the most used ones for me. Whenever I�m on the message list (upon opening a mailbox) I really enjoyed the ability to delete a message without opening it, just by tapping the red X on the touch screen. No need to press the blackberry button and choose "delete" from the menu, as I have to do it now. Reply, forward buttons were also available on that row.. How can I get them back on a 9900 OS 7.1?
    02-05-13 02:39 PM
    I have the 9810 and love it. Never had a problem from day one and dont experience the lag some talk about. That being said the 9900 has a better keyboard.
    02-05-13 03:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD