Hi folks,

I just bought a Blackberry Torch 9800 from AT&T.

At home, I have a wireless hot-spot and I'm able to configure the device on it. Then, to test this phone only with Wireless mode... I setup the credentials and got it running.

Now, what I'm trying to do: use all applications of it only on WIRELESS mode, without a DATA SERVICES PLAN - that I'm also have...

For that, my Mobile Network says DATASERVICES ON, WHILE ROAMING ON, MOBILE NETWORK none, NETWORK MODE 3G & 2G.

Only Wireless Conection is marked as ON.

That said, my BROWSER is able to use WI-FI for accessing pages. Then I tried to use my MSN Mobile and I'm struggling with DATA SERVICES UNAVAILABLE - but my WIRELESS is enabled and I'm expecting to device use this active connection for any application.

Is this not covered?

If not, does not make any sense having WI-FI enabled if I need to contract a DATA PLAN for using applications instead of using hot-spots to use it whenever I got a free-signal available.

Any help here is really appreciated.
    10-10-10 05:10 PM
    I just got my Torch yesterday from Costco. There's been a lot on this forum talking about exactly this problem - losing BIS after turning on WIFI. After reading one long thread where the last writer said he had unchecked the APN box in Advanced Settings and hadn't had this problem for several days, I decided to try this.

However, the first thing I did with my new Torch is install the newest OS update thru Blackberry Desktop, so I don't know if that also is a positive factor.

I then unchecked the APN box, connected my Torch to my WIFI network, downloaded a couple of Audible audiobooks to the Torch. After using it for about 20 minutes, I then turned off the WIFI on the Torch, and went into the Browser again to see if it could connect to the Web. IT DID!

So I'm crossing my fingers that turning off APN prevented the problem. Perhaps you should try unchecking that box, and see if data services start working.

Let the forum know if this worked. It's a lot easier than wiping the Torch, as many seem to have done. The question remains as to whether or not APN is needed for something. I haven't a clue on that, but so far, so good.
    10-10-10 06:10 PM
    Hey buddy, I appreciate your guidance.

It is not clear for me how to reach and turn off this APN checkbox. Could you provide a step by step in order to figure out this?

Further information from BlackBerry Desktop:

Device Software Version 6.0.0.246
    Platform Version 6.4.0.105
    Application Version 6.0.0.246 (bundle 695)

I'm still facing the issue!

Remember, to guarantee that will work only with wi-fi... I'm with my AT&T chip but my Mobile NetWork is turned off.

Remember that my Mobile Network options are

Data Services: ON
    While Roaming: ON
    Mobile Network: NONE (since I've turned off the Mobile Network)
    Network Mode: 2G & 3G

Aside note: if I turn off DATA SERVICES... the Browser does not load anymore any content...

I'm still getting Data Services Unavailable when logging into MSN.

Thanks beforehand.
    10-10-10 08:03 PM
    I didn't understand what you're trying to do. How can you not have a data plan - it's required I thought from AT&T.

I'm not sure if turning off APN will have any effect. I thought you had lost the data services after turning on, then turning off, wifi.

But here is how to disable APN:

Options
    Device
    Advanced System Settings
    TCPIP - then uncheck "APN Settings Enabled".
    10-10-10 08:15 PM
    Let me put this straight:

I want to use all connectivity options of the PHONE without using a DATA SERVICE PLAN... since I have the WI-FI feature.

That said, once I have this option I believe that is possible to use anything on the phone that requires internet without any restriction. Is this not true?

For instance: if you turn off all data service from your IPHONE, and you have WI-FI enabled ... you can use SKYPE, MEEBO, BROWSER, and so on.

Now you understand what am I trying to do?

I just want to use the WI-FI option with the applications available.

Turning off the option that you said.. does not work either.

Really strange though
    10-10-10 08:28 PM

I want to use all connectivity options of the PHONE without using a DATA SERVICE PLAN... since I have the WI-FI feature.

That said, once I have this option I believe that is possible to use anything on the phone that requires internet without any restriction. Is this not true?

For instance: if you turn off all data service from your IPHONE, and you have WI-FI enabled ... you can use SKYPE, MEEBO, BROWSER, and so on.

Really strange though
    I think you have some preconceived notions due to your use of an iPhone so lets get those facts out first so you can see the difference:

The iPhone is nothing more than an iTouch with phone capabilities added in. You can remove the SIM card and still use the device via the WiFi capabilities built in. I know several people who do this without issue. The applications built into the iPhone and iTouch are designed this way.

The Blackberry is a phone and messaging device that has added WiFi capabilities, the exact opposite of the iPhone. As such, the majority of the applications are designed to use the data services first.

OK, so what can you do? Well you must use a browser that can connect via WiFi and access all the functions through the browser. The links on the Blackberry home screen typically don't route through the browser but are stand alone applications that are routed through the application and use data services. You can do almost everything, but you must be using the browser and know the links to connect to the proper websites to accomplish the tasks.

BTW, both ATT and RIM love when you do this as they get to collect money for data services, but when you use WiFi they make money without any cost involved on their part.
    10-10-10 09:13 PM
    I can use BBm, Facecrack, get email, surf, use MSN, etc. while on my home wifi. I am with Telus (Canada) so I don't know if that is the difference or not. My house has NO cell signal so it is the only way to use it. Does the US carriers lock this down or something ? The only thing I couldn't set up via wifi was my email but when I got service and hooked it up, I got email coming through while chatting on msn and browsing facecrack at my house, hooked solely to wifi...
    10-10-10 09:51 PM

Really strange though

Bad news is a data plan is required for all smartphones. If this is an att branded Torch, it will be picked up by a network scan eventually and a data plan will be added to your account. BB services will require a BB data plan requardless of using wifi or the mobile network as RIM servers are used in both cases.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-10 09:59 PM
    Bad news is a data plan is required for all smartphones. If this is an att branded Torch, it will be picked up by a network scan eventually and a data plan will be added to your account. BB services will require a BB data plan requardless of using wifi or the mobile network as RIM servers are used in both cases.

That's correct. I thought he was stating that he could not just get his wifi to work in his house. My sister's husband took my old 9700 and he does not have data hooked up so it will connect to the home wifi but it is grey and will not actually connect to anything. You need BIS of some sorts and THEN it will work in wifi spots
    10-10-10 10:02 PM

That isn't 100% accurate shansmi. It is true that if you purchase the phone through ATT and sign a new contract that you must also purchase data services. However, if you purchase a smartphone and pay full price, ATT cannot add services other than what you are willing to pay for. I am currently paying for phone and text on my daughter's Blackberry Curve 8520 and while ATT doesn't like it, we didn't purchase the phone through them and we control what features are turned off and on, not the carrier. My daughter can use WiFi and connect through the internet without issue and there is nothing that ATT can do about it, much as they would like to.
    10-10-10 10:25 PM
    Just got an unlocked Torch to replace my much loved ipaq 6955. I have no data plan (home wifi) as gmail via text works great for me and I spend a lot of time outside of North America so all I need is a wifi device and decent cell phone.
    Is there a way to update my Blackberry software (OS6) without a data plan.

Comments on Torch:
    no skype
    Lots of dropped calls and poor signal reception (and often goes to SOS) - my ipaq worked in every room in my house - the torch doesn't. Windows Mobile 5 delivered a faster browser. I know Blackberry is a specific office tool - the friend that sold it to me didn't like it - I don't either and have now shipped my broken ipaq to Texas in hopes of getting it fixed. Torch good points: It feels solid and looks great but I was looking for a great phone and wifi tool - I have wifi at both places I live and work.
    11-09-10 07:09 AM
    i got my 9800 last week rogers unlocked im using it on another network...
    first the browser was the only thing working on wifi, msn and fb werent workin..
    yesterday i updated it and now the browser stopped working :s
    the BB service here costs 9$/week is there a trick to use at least the browser over wifi
    03-09-11 02:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD