On multiple lists in the UK and USA, I do not see any BlackBerry phones.
    Common selection criteria - one or more of the following:
    - Excellent Camera
    - Cheap to buy
    - Excellent screen
    - Build quality
    - New hardware features

The only reference to OS that I could find was the lack of bloatware on the Nexus. Multiple Nokia's on the list in spite of the lack of apps because of one or more of the above.

What does this tell me ? I think BlackBerry needs to have another manufacturer make it's touch phones .
    BlackBerry should concentrate on it's physical keyboard models to make them better by bringing back the buttons and trackpad and making a bigger screen.

On both they need Android apps because unlike Microsoft I don't see native apps coming along anytime soon.
    Frankly, not many reviewers and consumers appear to be interested in the OS as a feature.
    12-16-13 12:46 PM
    It tells me that, based on the criteria listed, BB10 phones fail to mean those standards.

Which BB10 phone has a great camera? None

Which is cheap to buy? None

Which has an excellent screen? None

Which has excellent build quality? All BB10 phones have excellent build quality

Which has new hardware features? None

These answers are compared to other smartphones released this year and comparatively, BB10 is not match. Doe that mean all BB10 phones are crap? No, just not in the upper tier this year, but if you enjoy BB10... then buy what you like.
    12-16-13 12:57 PM
    UK list ? Sorry but I can tell you a lot of people own a BlackBerry there. Also almost every provider offers a data plan with a BlackBerry.

I think BB10 is good. It has an OK camera compared to the old ones. And cheap? Depends who you're asking. Just choose a phone you like.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 02:54 PM
    They need to change the name of BlackBerry to QNX, and make BlackBerry a division of QNX. Something like BlackBerry Securities Inc.

So the phone would say QNX on it, and somewhere else say "Secured by BlackBerry".

That would show people it's a different company going in a different direction.

Zed10
    Pirate and kenicolo like this.
    12-16-13 03:36 PM
    UK lists:

The 17 best smartphones | The best phone of 2013 - PC Advisor

Best smartphones for 2013 | Buying Guides | Features | PC Pro

BUT I stand corrected:

I just found that the Q10 made at least one list.

Best smartphones: the ten best mobiles - Telegraph

I just feel that BB is the leader in physical keyboard phones but they can't stand on their laurels whereas on the all touch phones they do not have the resources to design their own devices and be competitive.
    12-16-13 04:29 PM
    My Z10 just arrived today. I think the screen is excellent. What isn't excellent about it?
    mylrob likes this.
    12-16-13 05:40 PM
    UK lists:

The 17 best smartphones | The best phone of 2013 - PC Advisor

Best smartphones for 2013 | Buying Guides | Features | PC Pro

BUT I stand corrected:

I just found that the Q10 made at least one list.

Best smartphones: the ten best mobiles - Telegraph

I just feel that BB is the leader in physical keyboard phones but they can't stand on their laurels whereas on the all touch phones they do not have the resources to design their own devices and be competitive.
    The PC Advisor doesn't list the Nokia 1020. It checks all those boxes.
    12-16-13 05:46 PM
    You know, anyone can come up with a list of Top Anything with their own criteria. I don't take any of these "top phones of 2013" lists seriously at all. Most of these mean pretty much nothing at all except that the guy making the list judges phones on popularity and what they like in a phone more than anything else. They are completely useless.
    badiyee likes this.
    12-16-13 05:55 PM
    What I see in them is BlackBerry can't get any mindshare. Brand new OS with 4 new devices and they can't crack top 17 lists...
    12-16-13 06:04 PM
    You know, anyone can come up with a list of Top Anything with their own criteria. I don't take any of these "top phones of 2013" lists seriously at all. Most of these mean pretty much nothing at all except that the guy making the list judges phones on popularity and what they like in a phone more than anything else. They are completely useless.
    If you were the only one in the world buying mobile phones then the above would mean something.
    12-16-13 07:48 PM
    I think having a phone with physical buttons in this day and age would be like driving a car and rolling down the windows!
    12-16-13 07:58 PM
    They need to change the name of BlackBerry to QNX, and make BlackBerry a division of QNX. Something like BlackBerry Securities Inc.

So the phone would say QNX on it, and somewhere else say "Secured by BlackBerry".

That would show people it's a different company going in a different direction.
    That's not something Chen would do...

"One former employee says that Chen got riled up when a manager suggested changing the name of a product to boost lackluster sales. He responded by asking if it would also make sense to change the names of your children if they got bad grades in school."

New BlackBerry boss John Chen out to prove skeptics wrong | Reuters
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-16-13 08:06 PM
    I think having a phone with physical buttons in this day and age would be like driving a car and rolling down the windows!
    Do you use a keyboard on your laptop or desktop? How about your landline? What makes a cellular phone so special? After all, it's still a phone. Thanks for your personal opinion though

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 08:13 PM
    What do you expect? They've been dumping on BlackBerry for years now.

And to the person above who dumped on BlackBerry: It's clear that you've never used one if you think it's so inferior. I came from one of those phones on the stupid "Cool List," and it couldn't hold a candle to this piece of mastery I now hold in my hand.

I don't care what they think. They don't know.
    12-16-13 08:27 PM

"One former employee says that Chen got riled up when a manager suggested changing the name of a product to boost lackluster sales. He responded by asking if it would also make sense to change the names of your children if they got bad grades in school."

Lol, yeah I guess he probably wouldn't do that. I just think the brand name beyond repair. The only thing most people respect is the security and agree that it's the best in class, but they pretty much hate/disrespect everything thing else.....as far as what Chen said I think that a pretty bad analogy. Re branding is pretty risky with a classic company like BlackBerry, but I think QNX is not really a rebrand as its part of the current company.

Zed10
    12-16-13 09:52 PM
    The z10 has a beautifully screen, amazing build quality, and it's literally free in the us

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 10:23 PM
    To me, the best phone right now is the Q10 with 10.2.1. It's just too wonderful! Literally, its a wonder!

Being able to reply to BBMs and SMS' instantly from the notification preview from anywhere, at any time and any place, while doing whatever it is you are doing!

Being able to access BB Hub from everywhere, see all your notificstion there and reply to everything directly from the Hub, while still doing whatever t is you are doing and just swiping back to exactly where you left off!

Two words: Keyboard shortcuts! It's too spectacular. Directly message anyone, post on social network, etc. and etc.! To name all the amazing keyboard shortcuts would take too long!

Keyboard shortcuts for even the browser!

Removable battery!

All connections and ports, and all standard!

Hdmi port!

LED notification light! Yes, I know other have it too now but it doesn't change that its awesome!

And more!

This is the best PHONE, IMO. It might not be the best media (movies, pictures and such) device but its not suppose to be, it's a phone not a tablet.

I can't wait for a 3.5+ inch screen Q phone!
    12-16-13 11:14 PM

Good stuff.
    12-16-13 11:25 PM
    Not to hijack the thread but, Chen had to say that to tell his employees, we're not taking the easy way out! Focus on improving the product and doing your job the best we can. Don't change your child's name, teach him to do better..... personally, I agree with that leadership but would have changed the name...lol

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-16-13 11:44 PM
    If you were the only one in the world buying mobile phones then the above would mean something.

That ^ makes no sense at all. These self proclaimed, "I know what's best for you" reviewers and fabricators of "the best of" lists review the phones as if THEY are the only ones in the world buying phones. The do not take into account anything but what THEY like in a phone. What THEY think is important in a phone and what THEY think makes "the best" when in reality there are so many factors involved when picking "the best" phone that only the consumer can formulate what is best for THEM. Unfortunately, many people don't want to invest the time it takes to check out phones in order to make an educated decision before purchasing one so they turn to these load-in-the-pants reviews that tell them what is popular and what the reviewer likes, not what they, the individual consumer will like, need and use. That's what many people end up purchasing.
    12-17-13 09:55 AM

Oh no..... don't tell me that Chen has no idea what marketing is all about and is going to compare naming an inanimate product to naming your children.....
    Bbnivende likes this.
    12-17-13 10:00 AM
    The idea behind the post is that BlackBerry can't keep up on the hardware side for all touch phones. They need a partnership with other manufacturers. For example Asus and Panasonic or with Sony or lenovo. Here is hoping that the Q30 is released and has cross platform appeal. BlackBerry still is the leader in this niche. The Q30 may bring back BBOS owners like myself who will be going off contract this upcoming year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    12-17-13 10:30 AM