The 10 biggest tech 'fails' of 2010 - CNN.com (via @cnn)

Do you all agree I know I do and go ahead and add some that are missing.
    12-28-10 10:37 AM
    Though I agree with was a huge issue, if those are sorted in "biggest fail first" then iPhone 4 should not have been at the top. It sucked and was a huge publicity fail, but they're right in the sense that it is only a "fail" in relative terms.
    12-28-10 10:49 AM
    Well as far as top fail with Apple being the company it is and re iPhone being it's top money maker I'll have to say yea it does deserve to be at the top. BUT! I also agree that it is a fail only in the terms of all the drama it caused, because it was still a HUGE!!!! hit and all that drama went on deaf ears.
    12-28-10 11:08 AM
    Stupid is as stupid does................sheeple.
    12-28-10 11:12 AM
    wtf, I don't really agree the iPhone4 could be counted as #1, maybe #9 but not #1,
    3-D TV's are surely the #1 tech Fail, the adoption rate is SOO slow, nothing like 1080P TV's which quickly became must haves, 3-D TV's just suck.
    12-28-10 11:17 AM
    I would also have to agree with the iPhone fail at the top. I was also happy to see the Nexus One on there. Not because either is a bad phone, but the fact that Apple thought to just turn up their nose and say there was no problem at all with the antenna, only to have to back track and admit failure, and that Google thought it a good idea to sell a device only on the internet, only through Google (sounds awful Appleish) is also a big fat fail.
    12-28-10 11:17 AM
    wtf, I don't really agree the iPhone4 could be counted as #1, maybe #9 but not #1,
    3-D TV's are surely the #1 tech Fail, the adoption rate is SOO slow, nothing like 1080P TV's which quickly became must haves, 3-D TV's just suck.
    They sure are a fail aren't they... I don't think they're #1, but they are a big fail.

I bought a 3D TV about a month ago, and I didn't buy it because it was 3D, that was just a faint bonus. The hardware needed to take advantage of the 3D capability is so outrageously expensive, there's no way for someone to afford all that junk. I'll wait for the hardware prices to go down, and then I'll buy it, until then, I've got a really nice TV that can do 3D sometime...
    12-28-10 11:20 AM
    A phone that struggles to make phone calls? I think that qualifies as a "phone fail". It's a huge commercial success though so certainly not a commercial fail.
    12-28-10 11:25 AM
    They sure are a fail aren't they... I don't think they're #1, but they are a big fail.

I bought a 3D TV about a month ago, and I didn't buy it because it was 3D, that was just a faint bonus. The hardware needed to take advantage of the 3D capability is so outrageously expensive, there's no way for someone to afford all that junk. I'll wait for the hardware prices to go down, and then I'll buy it, until then, I've got a really nice TV that can do 3D sometime...

The cost of the 3D glasses is high, also the amount of them needed, and the content needs to be mastered for 3D, you'll see glasses less 3D content and you'll find TV's finding better ways to portray content I think 3D TV's are the a stepping stone like 8Track was between Record and cassette, or Laser disk between VHS and DVD.
    12-28-10 11:28 AM
    I think between the fails and the trends Google has been let off lightly. Yes the Nexus was a problem, but Google Wave and Google Buzz showed, for the first time, that Google really have only innovated in terms of search and ads. Most of their really high quality apps are simply free version copies of other people's apps. For all their cool trendy corporate image and practices, when they innovate (Wave, Buzz) they have far more misses than hits. 2010 has been the year in which this became clear and showed that the trajectory toward a tech world dominated by Google may not be as certain as expected.
    12-28-10 11:36 AM
    I don't necessarily think they're saying the iPhone 4 is a fail as a device. More so, the drama of antennagate behind it. I think iTunes PING should be number one. There's some merit to the Nexus One being on there. But not as a device. Let's be real. It's a developer phone. More because it was only sold online by Google without any subsidies. In the U.S. at least (I think).
    12-28-10 02:22 PM
    I'm with you. iPhone shouldn't be #1 but because of the drama surrounding, it was made much bigger than it probably should have. But that's the price Apple pays for all the free press.... good and bad. I would have had it lower on the list.

And yes, 3D tv is a terrible idea. Besides just all the expensive things you need to go along with it, I'm not going to sit around the house with 3D glasses. Just a terrible idea that people do not care about.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 12-28-10 at 03:21 PM.
    12-28-10 02:28 PM
    If drama constitutes "fail" and the iPhone 4 is #1 as some of you seem to agree then
    the Torch 9800 by virtue of all the wiggling sliders, wobbly trackpads and bad
    battery life complaints (read: drama) should be #2.
    12-28-10 03:12 PM
    Like I said earlier the iPhone was only a fail in terms of the drama caused by it atenna problem. But as far as sales and new users go it was beyond a success.
    12-28-10 03:22 PM
    If drama constitutes "fail" and the iPhone 4 is #1 as some of you seem to agree then
    the Torch 9800 by virtue of all the wiggling sliders, wobbly trackpads and bad
    battery life complaints (read: drama) should be #2.
    Yeah the torch should crack that list.

What I noticed about that list is that besides the iPhone everything else is mainly about devices or things that were mainly introduced as something new in 2010 that hasn't been done by the specific company or that concept. If it were a "smartphone fail" list then the Torch would definitely be on there. Everyone knows that the iPhone 4 was not a tech fail. Only the entire "antennagate" thing.
    12-28-10 03:25 PM
    Like I said earlier the iPhone was only a fail in terms of the drama caused by it atenna problem. But as far as sales and new users go it was beyond a success.
    Yeah that's true. Everything else on that list were fails in terms of sales and adoption..... you know, where it counts.
    12-28-10 03:26 PM
    The top 3 should have all been BlackBerry smartphones. With the Storm 1 cracking #1, and Storm 2 cracking #2, and the Storm 2.5 cracking #3.
    12-28-10 07:11 PM
    The top 3 should have all been BlackBerry smartphones. With the Storm 1 cracking #1, and Storm 2 cracking #2, and the Storm 2.5 cracking #3.
    Storm 1 was 2008 and Storm 2 was 2009.
    12-28-10 08:17 PM
    Stup!d azz troll! 2010 MOFO!

The only things they got right on the list were 3-D TVs (darn you James Cameron), Kin, and Ping. Kin should be numero uno.
    Last edited by CASH; 12-28-10 at 08:47 PM.
    12-28-10 08:37 PM
    LOL, the storm 2.5 got killed by Verizon. No way in **** they would put that in the market with an onslaught of android phones. I say tour 2, I mean bold is epic fail. Torch and storm 2.5. Also the blackberry style, pure epic fail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-10 12:16 AM
    How in any sense of logic can the Nexus One's poor sales be named in the top 10, yet Palm itself tanking with the Pre/WebOS gamble and getting bought out gets no mention?
    12-29-10 12:23 AM
    Palm has been sucking it for years, already. I think why it didn't crack the list for this year.
    12-29-10 02:14 AM
    I wouldn't say 3D is a fail, its just got lukewarm reception cause of the incredibly high prices for ****. I have a 50" 3D plasma Samsung less than 2 weeks old and that **** rocks! PS3 games in 3D is amazing, and RE Afterlife was good.

Once 3D prices come down I think we'll see the same explosion like HDTVs had.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-10 06:04 PM
    That was a terribly inaccurate list. The iPhone 4 was not a fail, not by any stretch of the imagination. The way the issue was *handled* was a fail, the device was an indisputable success.

And I disagree with those of you guys who say the Torch should be there. I don't believe the Torch should be there at all; tecchie folks who wanted a hugely powered device with retina display were disappointed. Sales might not have gone through the roof as AT&T had hoped. But I'm extremely happy with the device, as are the people I know who bought one.

Not winning the New York marathon does not equal fail. The Torch only fails if it's compared in sales to the heavy hitters like the iPhone. As far as Android....meh....
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 12-30-10 at 09:32 AM.
    12-30-10 09:24 AM
    I will 100% argue against that Palm is a fail.

OS6 is a badly executed WebOS ripoff.

If Lazaridis doesn't get his head out of his arse, RIM will be the new Palm. prior to the HP buyout.
    01-02-11 12:31 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD