I guess you could call this putting my money where my mouth is...

RIM has had an absolutely awful year, but I believe that by and large the troubles the company has encountered relate to things beyond their control. With the stock trading where it is now (under $17CDN/share), I think they're potentially a bargain, maybe even a takeover target.

I've got a small tax-free savings account, so I sold some other stock I hold and took the plunge into 150 RIM shares yesterday. I guess we'll see what happens
    12-08-11 01:53 PM
    Wow. Unfortunately, as much of a BB fan as I am, I have to disagree with your assessment, as I think their problems are entirely of their own doing ... or not doing. However, I do think there's a chance they can pull out of these doldrums. At least I hope they do, because there isn't another smart phone I can see myself using among what's out there right now. BB10 should keep them from complete obscurity, though I don't think there's a chance of them returning to utter market dominance again. So in that vein, best of luck to you!
    avt123, howarmat and the_sleuth like this.
    12-08-11 02:18 PM
    Good for you. 2012 will be very rewarding for you. Bb10 will be difficult to beat. The phones will have reliability of playbook, kickass Ui from T.A.T., apps from playbook, Android, and Enterprise apps. Plus they will have bbm, bis and bes.

Why would anybody get anything else??
    AsBloodRunsBlack likes this.
    12-08-11 02:44 PM
    I bought RIM shares too, for the following reasons:

While RIM is losing market share, and selling phones less quickly, they are still selling phones. I believe the pressure at the top end from the iPhone will subside, and the pressure from the bottom end from Android will segregate.

The iPhone is at the end of its current life cycle. The iPhone 4S is essentially the same phone as the iPhone 2G, but with better screen, camera, processor etc. What made the iPhone revolutionary was the capacitance touchscreen and apps, which has now been reproduced. I don't have confidence in Apple without Steve Jobs.

A lot of different companies have released Android phones, making it hard to distinguish themselves in the market. Eventually, one or two dominant players will emerge for Android, and prices will go up, putting less price pressure on RIM.
    lonedog and Thunderbuck like this.
    12-08-11 02:49 PM
    I bought RIM shares too, for the following reasons:

While RIM is losing market share, and selling phones less quickly, they are still selling phones. I believe the pressure at the top end from the iPhone will subside, and the pressure from the bottom end from Android will segregate.

The iPhone is at the end of its current life cycle. The iPhone 4S is essentially the same phone as the iPhone 2G, but with better screen, camera, processor etc. What made the iPhone revolutionary was the capacitance touchscreen and apps, which has now been reproduced. I don't have confidence in Apple without Steve Jobs.

A lot of different companies have released Android phones, making it hard to distinguish themselves in the market. Eventually, one or two dominant players will emerge for Android, and prices will go up, putting less price pressure on RIM.
    While I agree that RIM shares will go up... That Android does needs one or two strong players (Amazon maybe) to keep customers loyal, and that Apple will have a hard time without Steve Jobs.
    The comment that the iPhone is at the end of it current life cycle is kind of funny. 1st RIM has yet to successfully reproduce it, 2nd what is the difference between a Bold from a few years ago and one running OS7... better screen, camera, processor etc.
    The iPhone is MUCH more that the hardware or the OS that runs on it!
    12-08-11 03:05 PM
    I don't have confidence in Apple without Steve Jobs.
    I know what you mean; I don't have confidence in RIM with Mike L. and Jim B. I'm not saying either should lose their jobs (in part because I don't know who would do a better job), but it's not unfair to say that they are running that company into the ground.*
    12-08-11 03:24 PM
    I have been thinking of doing the same and you have now given me the push I needed. I love my BB and most likely will have one for a long time. Now lets think about the RIM. Shares will continue to decrease and mgt will do one of two things fix themselves or sell to somebody that will. Like any merger price goes down and then rises.
    12-08-11 03:28 PM
    Wow. Unfortunately, as much of a BB fan as I am, I have to disagree with your assessment, as I think their problems are entirely of their own doing ... or not doing. However, I do think there's a chance they can pull out of these doldrums. At least I hope they do, because there isn't another smart phone I can see myself using among what's out there right now. BB10 should keep them from complete obscurity, though I don't think there's a chance of them returning to utter market dominance again. So in that vein, best of luck to you!
    Trust me, I've weighed all of this. RIM has made its share of mistakes this year, for sure, but I also think they have some good opportunities to turn things around.

The Playbook is a great example. RIM has a vested interest in supporting the PB, because they're leveraging the OS for their phones as well. That means things like Android compatibility is going to remain a priority for RIM, because that's an attractive feature for their phones as well. Now that they've blown out pretty much all of their inventory, and now that Android support is imminent (which I believe, since I've been running the 2.0 developer preview), this product is poised to look a lot more attractive than it did a couple of months ago.

I like the style of the new BB phones that we've been seeing, too. Apple, on the other hand, has kind of painted itself in a corner. Sure, the iPhone is clean, but there isn't much more you can take away from the current design, and making significant changes risks customer backlash. I think there's just a chance that the iPhone may have peaked.

Between the phones and the tablet, I see significant developer support coming for BB10. Developer support means more apps, more apps means a more attractive ecosystem, and more customers. And, sure, I might be overly optimistic, but even in a worst-case scenario I think RIM makes an attractive buy-out target in the $25-$30/share range.

Fingers crossed!
    12-08-11 03:44 PM
    please don't confuse your love for the products with love for the company.
    12-08-11 03:45 PM
    please don't confuse your love for the products with love for the company.
    It's a fair point, to be sure, but I see considerably more upside than downside.

And remember they have close to a billion in cash, too. There's no way it's a $17 stock.
    12-08-11 03:51 PM
    If I were you I would have waited until next year to purchase rimm's stock. There's nothing in the for see able future that indicates an increase in stock value. Horrible management, no exciting products on top of decreasing NA market/mindshare. I hear people say they have faith in companies etc etc, if they only realized that faith doesn't move the stock price. The stock is toast for a reason.
    12-08-11 03:57 PM
    I bought Apple stock at $397 a month ago. I don't think they are just depending on the iPhone, although I think it has a way to go yet in market share. The tablet market is young too. Their desktop market share has a lot of potential. I like the diversity aspect, whereas RIM is just smartphones. They seem to be able to "time the market' somehow. I wager that their 4G phone will be a hit. Now makers are touting 4g for the browser speed, but I don't think the average person needs more of that. I suspect that when/if a 4G iPhone comes out it will use the 4g bandwidth for something better and bringing me a youtube video a little faster. (I'll sell at $450 though )
    12-08-11 04:01 PM
    The time to buy apple stock would've been when it was where RIMs is now.
    12-08-11 04:35 PM
    Good luck with the stock. I hope it works out well for you.
    12-08-11 04:40 PM
    RIMM is really undervalued considering their IP and corporate products. They are not like any other phone maker that only makes phones, remember a huge part of there value proposition comes from installing and maintaining the BES servers and software which is a fixed asset to companies that use it and very hard to transition out of.

Whether it's acquisition or not, it's one way for RIMM and it's up.
    12-08-11 05:24 PM
    Blackjack,
    Do you still have my shares that you bought for me?
    12-08-11 05:38 PM
    yep and RIM also gets a small portion of what you pay for your data plan every month
    I believe its around $3 dollars a month, but with millions of users that adds up.
    Google gets 0 dollars from your data plan .
    12-08-11 05:39 PM
    Blackjack,
    Do you still have my shares that you bought for me?
    you are going to have a problem collecting from him i think right now lol
    12-08-11 05:48 PM
    I wouldn't worry if I were the OP. This stock might fall a little more but I think it's pretty much a given that, if RIM isn't bought out before the playbook OS 2.0 update and the release of the excitingly hot looking (yes, haters-I said that) BB 10 phones, the stock should see alot of climb. Of course, my crystal ball is as good as the next, but I really think the chances are good.
    slowrvr likes this.
    12-08-11 05:53 PM
    From Blackjack? He'll be back.
    12-08-11 06:23 PM
    Those of you whom have bought RIMM shares, you're all brave souls. At this point, these shares are a speculative tech stock like Nokia, Motorola, and so many others whom once enjoy market dominance in their industry and are struggling to regain some former glory. It's a very expensive lottery ticket.
    12-08-11 06:59 PM
    I honestly think it would be a good time to buy. One day, maybe not soon, RIM will go back up. Not to their glory days, ut up nonetheless.

I wish I had Apple stock when it was low, lol!

Sent from I am on Fire!
    12-08-11 08:00 PM
    I'm going to buy RIM shares too. But I'm going to wait til the 15th/16th. After their earnings call. Lol.

I think it's a smart move.
    12-09-11 02:57 AM
    I guess you could call this putting my money where my mouth is...

RIM has had an absolutely awful year, but I believe that by and large the troubles the company has encountered relate to things beyond their control. With the stock trading where it is now (under $17CDN/share), I think they're potentially a bargain, maybe even a takeover target.

I've got a small tax-free savings account, so I sold some other stock I hold and took the plunge into 150 RIM shares yesterday. I guess we'll see what happens
    Not enough shares to make a difference either way. It is a value trade for sure. Value and tech never go hand in hand though.
    Takeover will never happen from a US company because the canadian govt will block it. Canada govt won't let a takeover happen unless it will beneficially help the country
    Same reason the takeover of potash by monsanto was blocked.

what is a tax free savings account? Not good to buy stock in losing companies for anyone that has a roth ira either, can't take a tax loss.

Have some extra cash ready and average down in rimm when it gets cheaper. Marekt is extremely overbought and this Christmas rally has no legs. Only trading on the gimmick of Europe's problems and the pig FED's continual printing of money with no backing.
    12-09-11 03:20 AM
    Those of you whom have bought RIMM shares, you're all brave souls. At this point, these shares are a speculative tech stock like Nokia, Motorola, and so many others whom once enjoy market dominance in their industry and are struggling to regain some former glory. It's a very expensive lottery ticket.
    Ha, which motorola are you talking about?
    Motorola mobility which went up exponentially after the buyout soon to be approved by google.
    Nokia, which will have microsoft support.

Rimm which is the lone wolf being run into the ground by terrible management.

Yea, there is one out of your three that is junk. Can you guess which one?

Funny how you don't know anything about motorola. Guess google knows how to only pick the losers right?

shh, people think they know stocks Stick to what you know.
    12-09-11 03:24 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD