Post removed.
    Last edited by jrohland; 05-06-14 at 12:34 PM.
    04-03-13 01:30 PM
    I have to laugh with someone says it's too little too late for BlackBerry. I know that person is a fool. Let's explore this concept shall we?

In 1886 Karl Benz was granted a patent for his first automobile. He built that automobile and named it after his daughter Mercedes. At that moment it was too little too late for Henry Ford, Walter Chrysler and others. The car was built. Mercedes-Benz owned the market. No one else need bother. What made those other men think they could build a better car? A car the market wanted.

In 1921 a basketball player by the name of Charles “Chuck” Taylor joined a basketball team sponsored by the Converse Company called The Converse All Stars. Shortly after that, no young man would ever want any other shoe. What was Nike and Reebok thinking when they decided to make a shoe teenagers would want. That market was already "owned" by other shoe companies. Didn't those companies know it was too little, too late for them?

Apple, Samsung and others dominate the mobile phone market. What is BlackBerry thinking? Can't they see the world doesn't want a newer, better phone? Clearly, like it was for Henry Ford, Nike and so many others, it is never too little or too late for a new choice. So if you think BlackBerry is too late to the table with too little to offer, you should study history.
    A very nice read and very well said! Long LIVE BlackBerry
    04-03-13 01:39 PM
    Well said. Every time I read 'too little, too late' I cringe.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 01:43 PM
    LOL - it might very well be too little too late if:

- Everyone is 100% satisfied with their current mobile device of choice and never willing to try anything new. Except people do!

- If the smartphone market had peaked globally and no one but the existing base wanted one

- There were no BlackBerry users left to buy one

- Everyone, everywhere was a heavy consumer of a wide range of paid apps and switching would cause personal bankruptcies

- People everywhere never got bored and never wanted to try anything new

- All contracts are for three years and everyone with a smartphone signed their contract in December 2012, locking themselves in for years to come!
    ibpluto likes this.
    04-03-13 01:44 PM
    As fickle as consumers are, it is never too late for ANY company/product. The newest/hottest/latest product can and surely will be replaced by something else. Apple is in a unique position of having a "cult-like" following and people continue to buy it's products proven or unproven and line up by the masses to do so.

Samsung/Google/Android has shown that a product can come in and show something different/innovative and pull away customers. BlackBerry has it's diehard fans (ME - I have always owned a BlackBerry and never strayed away since my 7520); but has lost a lot of customers to Apple and Android platforms. What the initial launch of BB10 shows is that a lot of the Apple/Android converts are former BlackBerry users and are looking for something good from BlackBerry to jump ship and come back.

I have a good friend who is a former, now current BlackBerry user. He was all too happy to get rid of his iPhone 4S and get back on the BlackBerry train after I showed him all the pre-release videos out there and was a day one AT&T convert back to BlackBerry.

We BOTH are loving our new Z10's. I think the Q10 will also get some of those converted BlackBerry users back!
    04-03-13 01:44 PM
    Actually that was a good read. I'm gonna use that if anyone tries to eff on me...
    04-03-13 01:48 PM
    What the initial launch of BB10 shows is that a lot of the Apple/Android converts are former BlackBerry users and are looking for something good from BlackBerry to jump ship and come back.
    Does it? I've had this suspicion but I've not seen it broken out further than "came from other platforms" to "have previously owned a BlackBerry" vs "I've never owned a BlackBerry".
    04-03-13 01:49 PM
    To the OP, Thank You!

You masterfully put down in words what I've been feeling even time I read that sad and misleading comment. It's far too often plagiarised and pasted all over ignorant articles and headlines.

Great read in history and let that be a lesson to anyone thinking any industry needs no more players or innovation. (especially when that player is an aged and experienced one, and that innovation is game changing)

Posted in CB10 on The Incredible Z
    04-03-13 01:50 PM
    I used the same analogy with a friend of mine using Asian cars instead. Here is our conversation.

ME: You drive a Korean car, which is probably a good 30 years late against the American cars. Why did you spend 20k on it?

Friend: ahhh,,errr, ohhh, you see...you know...( tongue got twisted ) ...ok, i'll give Z10 a try.

I have to laugh with someone says it's too little too late for BlackBerry. I know that person is a fool. Let's explore this concept shall we?

In 1886 Karl Benz was granted a patent for his first automobile. He built that automobile and named it after his daughter Mercedes. At that moment it was too little too late for Henry Ford, Walter Chrysler and others. The car was built. Mercedes-Benz owned the market. No one else need bother. What made those other men think they could build a better car? A car the market wanted.

In 1921 a basketball player by the name of Charles “Chuck” Taylor joined a basketball team sponsored by the Converse Company called The Converse All Stars. Shortly after that, no young man would ever want any other shoe. What was Nike and Reebok thinking when they decided to make a shoe teenagers would want. That market was already "owned" by other shoe companies. Didn't those companies know it was too little, too late for them?

Apple, Samsung and others dominate the mobile phone market. What is BlackBerry thinking? Can't they see the world doesn't want a newer, better phone? Clearly, like it was for Henry Ford, Nike and so many others, it is never too little or too late for a new choice. So if you think BlackBerry is too late to the table with too little to offer, you should study history.
    04-03-13 02:00 PM
    In a market where you get a new device every 2 to 3 years, it's never impossible for a new comer to come out and take marketshare.

Look at Blackberry. Only a couple years ago they were on top of the world and owned the mindshare. **** happens.
    E_the_CameraMan likes this.
    04-03-13 02:02 PM
    Maybe "BlackBerry is too little, too late" will join these gems:

"The Americans have need of the telephone, but we do not. We have plenty of messenger boys," Sir William Preece, chief engineer at the British Post Office, 1878.

"Who the **** wants to hear actors talk?" H.M. Warner, Warner Bros., 1927.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers," Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.

"Television won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night," Darryl Zanuck, 20th Century Fox, 1946.

"The world potential market for copying machines is 5,000 at most," IBM executives to the eventual founders of Xerox, 1959.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home," Ken Olsen, founder of mainframe-producer Digital Equipment Corp., 1977.

"No one will need more than 637 kb of memory for a personal computer—640K ought to be enough for anybody," Bill Gates, Microsoft, 1981.

"Next Christmas the iPod will be dead, finished, gone, kaput," Sir Alan Sugar, British entrepreneur, 2005

(From: Gordon Crovitz: Technology Predictions Are Mostly Bunk - WSJ.com )
    04-03-13 02:28 PM
    In all honesty, I became even more interested in BlackBerry when the too little too late, and RIM is dead thing started in 2011 after the PlayBook issues. Apart from the fact that I've always been a non-conformist when it comes to following the bandwagon, I'm not a popular demand kind of person except it really actually does work for me, something about me always makes me stick with that thing that most people say won't work. I have found out that it always does!
    currentodysseys likes this.
    04-03-13 02:37 PM
    Yeah it's really a stupid thing to say unless you think the world is about to end or a zombie Apocalypse is near. Then it might be too late.

I cringe when people use that argument because it's so absurd.
    04-03-13 02:41 PM
    I think for bb the saying, "no news is good news" is the opposite. I think the "bad" press is interesting people and maybe even making them say, "it can't be that bad" and they end up liking it. So far alot of people who return it don't like the hub and don't seem to like working with it. So isn't too late at all
    04-03-13 02:46 PM

Very well done there, smart comments it will take an intelligent blackberry user to come up with that. Learn people learn Shall we.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 02:51 PM
    Maybe "BlackBerry is too little, too late" will join these gems:

"The Americans have need of the telephone, but we do not. We have plenty of messenger boys," Sir William Preece, chief engineer at the British Post Office, 1878.

"Who the **** wants to hear actors talk?" H.M. Warner, Warner Bros., 1927.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers," Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.

"Television won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night," Darryl Zanuck, 20th Century Fox, 1946.

"The world potential market for copying machines is 5,000 at most," IBM executives to the eventual founders of Xerox, 1959.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home," Ken Olsen, founder of mainframe-producer Digital Equipment Corp., 1977.

"No one will need more than 637 kb of memory for a personal computer—640K ought to be enough for anybody," Bill Gates, Microsoft, 1981.

"Next Christmas the iPod will be dead, finished, gone, kaput," Sir Alan Sugar, British entrepreneur, 2005

(From: Gordon Crovitz: Technology Predictions Are Mostly Bunk - WSJ.com )
    Along with the OP these are also great points.
    04-03-13 03:07 PM
    After showing them the Z10, I've had several people that said "I pretty much counted BlackBerry out but they really came back with an amazing product."

I was also working with T-Mo tech support on a problem with my son's phone and both techs seemed very interested in the Z10, with one saying he was hoping to upgrade to one soon.. Asked me a few questions, I told them how much I LOVE IT...
    04-03-13 03:32 PM
    Let's not forget that at one time apple was almost out of business. Remember when Bill Gates bailed them out. Where are they at now. As long as blackberry doesn't quit, it is never too little too late.

Posted via CB10
    jarrodmeyer likes this.
    04-03-13 08:03 PM
    I have yet to demo my z10 to folks that have android and iphones without them being legitimately impressed.

The first thing you show is the time shift camera and that's it. You got them. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 09:19 PM
    What is funny is that the mere statement "a little too late" lacks foundation as it never tackles the important question: "for what"?

I remember the same thing going around 7 years ago about certain companies that were making "yet another online distribution channel of the same" and were considered "doomed to fail"... only they used the same medium to bring new experience and different modes of doing things... this is innovation... you still had light when electricity was not around... a light bulb also gives light... now chandeliers are a thing of the past or of "creating atmosphere".

Great post OP. Thanks!
    04-17-13 06:13 PM