I don't think anybody who posted in this thread read the article referred to by the OP. He's questioning how BB10 will be received in light of the fact that a record number of devices were activated in the month of December, including a record 17.4 million on Christmas day, which is 2.5X more than the year before. He's basically saying people looking to buy smartphones have already bought them.
    A fair point. That is why RIM's #1 target off the bat is the millions of current BB owners who (obviously) are using fairly dated devices. First things first.
    12-29-12 03:14 PM
    I don't think anybody who posted in this thread read the article referred to by the OP. He's questioning how BB10 will be received in light of the fact that a record number of devices were activated in the month of December, including a record 17.4 million on Christmas day, which is 2.5X more than the year before. He's basically saying people looking to buy smartphones have already bought them.
    Do you buy yourself a smartphone for Christmas or do you buy it as a gift for someone else?
    12-29-12 03:16 PM
    its never to late even to grab the number one spot, it might take a while but it could happen, look what happened to Sony, number one in TVs, number one in stereos, number one in gaming consols,number one in personal music players, it tooks some time but thats no longer the case, even with gaming consols nintendo and MS have done a good job taking life away from the PS3, i mean i personally have all three and until my GPU on my xbox failed i was playing it way more and i do like my Wii the most of the three
    True, I agree. What I meant was that it's too late to grab #1 in a year or so... It's definitely possible in long term but won't happen in the next 2-3 years. No matter how much I wish it did.. :/
    12-29-12 05:33 PM
    Nope. I still believe in the new OS. I have more faith in BB10 now then I did in Android when it came out. Man was the G1 ugly. Sorry to those of you who liked it. RIM is going to be off to a strong start with the faithful losing any and all reason to abandon Blackberry. Just need to nab new users. Up to us to show off our BB10 phones as much as possible to the unconverted still using dumb phones.
    jakie55 likes this.
    12-29-12 11:14 PM
    If RIM can put out an affordable all touch and touch/keyboard BlackBerry10 curve, I think they have a very very good chance. January 30th is still not here. If the unveiled something that wows everyone and causes other platforms to play catch up then they really won't need to spend on marketing because it will market itself. I'm rooting for them and I do hope they have that ace card. They are really hurting in the U.S but Americans love an under dog.
    cabirder and nquyen like this.
    12-30-12 03:28 PM
    It's never too late. I've spent over 20 years in business studying the trends and peaks and valleys of many fortune 500 companies. Unless you are Chapter 7 bankrupt and have boarded up your doors, it's not too lake to do anything. Has RIM missed an market opportunity by late timing and arguably a late reaction to the market? Perhaps. But it's not too late to launch BB 10.

I seem to recall a company from Cupertino, California that was struggling with their computer sales against Windows. Their President said they were going to try and be an "appliance" company instead of a computer company. Some people scoffed at this new direction. Then this company launched iPhone and the rest is history.

RIM has a following, myself included. I'll stay with them until they board up and shut down, OR when they turn around their North American sales with BB 10.

Regardless, IMO, it's not too late.
    Stocklone likes this.
    12-30-12 03:35 PM
    BB is currently No 1 for me as I hate touch screen. However I am in the minority so the iPhone and Galaxy will rule. I do not believe that by bringing in a phone that resembles the iPhone, Blackberry will take the no 1 spot. It will lose the likes of me who crave a physical keyboard rather than virtual. Blackberry needs to remember it's core customers who are business users and not move to gimmicks that are touch screen with little battery life in order to compete wit hthe slimmer Galaxy. Rant over
    12-30-12 03:38 PM
    Anybody remember the video "OH MY GOD IT'S A BLACKBERRY!!!!" ?That plus the Radioshack commericals showing over the Holidays with people shocked they received a phone for Christmas. These alone are pretty much making it blantly obvious that people Still Buy or receive Phones during the christmas season. This is probably because contracts are about to end, or someone is getting their First smartphone or first phone Ever, or the usual broken phone and have to have a new one routine. RIM starts the New Year of a new beginning for those that have not had the chance to have a phone. RIM will deliver with a great user experience because that is what they are aiming for. Every manufacturer company aims for success and RIM is not too late to be coming into the race. Let these people have and enjoy their phones from this year, for next Year will be something to Desire.
    12-30-12 03:51 PM
    Good points.
    and I am also one of the minority business users that prefers a keyboard, but a touch screen works for me as well. I have a Droid and had an iPhone. Cool phones but not my preference for business, or even for personal communication. BBerry rules IMO.
    Besides, the way things are changing and upgrading at a meteoric pace, none of the phones out today will be "preferred" in the USA in two years. They will all have to evolve.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    jakie55 likes this.
    12-30-12 04:23 PM
    I think we can all agree that it hurt RIM to miss the Christmas sales, but that's not to say BB10 cannot still be successful.

What really matters is where RIM goes after BB10. Will RIM have a new product cycle in stores by Christmas 2013, or will they miss an opportunity again?
    jakie55 likes this.
    12-30-12 08:36 PM
    A
    I think we can all agree that it hurt RIM to miss the Christmas sales, but that's not to say BB10 cannot still be successful.

What really matters is where RIM goes after BB10. Will RIM have a new product cycle in stores by Christmas 2013, or will they miss an opportunity again?
    Oh I don't think they would miss the opportunity again. Heck, I would not be the least bit surprised if the Aristo comes out during the christmas season....now That would pull in a Loooot of sales!
    jakie55 likes this.
    12-30-12 09:03 PM
    BB is currently No 1 for me as I hate touch screen. However I am in the minority so the iPhone and Galaxy will rule. I do not believe that by bringing in a phone that resembles the iPhone, Blackberry will take the no 1 spot. It will lose the likes of me who crave a physical keyboard rather than virtual. Blackberry needs to remember it's core customers who are business users and not move to gimmicks that are touch screen with little battery life in order to compete wit hthe slimmer Galaxy. Rant over
    They do have a phone for you - the N series or X10 or whatever it is they're going to call the QWERTY version of their new device. Arguably RIM's done more with BB10 to make it even friendlier to it's core customers, or the "BlackBerry People" as they like to call them.
    12-30-12 11:43 PM
    One thing about the "late launch" is that the message is not muddied by all the other platform noise.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-31-12 01:26 AM
    True, I agree. What I meant was that it's too late to grab #1 in a year or so... It's definitely possible in long term but won't happen in the next 2-3 years. No matter how much I wish it did.. :/
    I don't think anyone would think that any new OS could go to #1 in a year. iOS took a few years, Android took a few years. RIM is in a good position for more rapid acceptance of a new OS because they have an existing user base of 80 Million to try to migrate, unlike iOS, Android, or WP had at their release. If they can bring back some customers who left and get the majority of the existing to migrate in the next couple of years then that should solidify the platform as viable for developers and solve the will devs support it issue.
    jakie55 likes this.
    12-31-12 09:32 AM
    Blackberry guy - I am aware that a keyboard version is planned and wait impatiently to upgrade
    12-31-12 02:52 PM
    Blackberry guy - I am aware that a keyboard version is planned and wait impatiently to upgrade
    Gotcha

In that case, not sure what your rant about touchscreens was all about then...
    12-31-12 05:17 PM
    Gotcha

In that case, not sure what your rant about touchscreens was all about then...
    Yeah OK. I just hate touch screens and phones with short battery life - on which note, any news on battery life for either
    01-01-13 01:53 PM
42 12