Apologies to the admin's if this kind of thread has already been put out there (i couldn't believe that it hadn't, but have searched all over). There's something I need to get off my chest.....

I've only been a BB user for around 1 year now, and have a long history of WinMo devices previously. Having been a WinMo ambassador for several years (personal user), a change in job meant I needed to use a BB - being what I'd call "reasonably techie", I've spent that year getting into as many nooks and crannies as I can, and my experience has been an enjoyable one, both personally and professionally

One thing I'm just amazed at however, is how readily BB users are willing to carry out battery pulls at what feels like (IMHO) an excessively high frequency. It drives me crazy! So my question is.....why do we all tolerate this? Why do RIM appear to be so behind the game in this important bit of functionality? I'm used to the odd bettery pull with all kinds of non-BB devices, but I've just never used a bit of kit for which a soft reset can change so much about the experience.

Interested to hear from the rest of the users out there....
    01-10-10 02:58 PM
    My work around is quickpull lite. It reboots my berry at 3:30 am every day. Since I started this, I have had the odd battery pull, but none of the regular pulls that are so aggravating.
    01-10-10 04:27 PM
    Pulling the battery should only be used when there is a problem that interferes with normal operations.

A BlackBerry can easily go for weeks at a time before there any reason to force the reset.

If you are facing the need to do it regularly, you could benifit from memory optimization.
    01-10-10 04:44 PM
    In my limited experience the improvements made in the memory management of the Storm 2 has if not negated, at least dramatically limited the number of battery pulls I need to do. Outside of a restart upon application removal I can say I haven't done a battery pull in over a month. My file free and application memory stays very consistent. That said, I do beleive RIM has heard it's customers and is trying to make improvements.
    01-10-10 04:45 PM
    Doing it constantly to solve a certain problem is basically masking the real issue.

I used to do a battery pull everyday just for the heck of it. Hardly because I ran
    into a memory problem. But some people do them because the phone freezes or
    something of that nature. Doing a battery pull is a temporary solution.
    01-10-10 04:48 PM
    i downloaded Quickpull from app world and it seems to work great. Only have needed it one but good app anyway.
    01-11-10 08:37 AM
    Sometimes I do feel frustrated by the regularity of Battery Pull; I simply don't understand why can;t RIM optimize the memory thing making battery pull redundant.
    IMO only the BBs are plagued by this battery pull problem,no other platforms are affected by it.
    01-11-10 09:05 AM
    Pulling the battery should only be used when there is a problem that interferes with normal operations.

A BlackBerry can easily go for weeks at a time before there any reason to force the reset.

If you are facing the need to do it regularly, you could benifit from memory optimization.
    Agreed. The problem is that RIM markets its own products that do not optimize memory. Why introduce BB App World if it needs to be removed in order to optimize memory? Doesn't it seem a bit odd that the biggest memory hog is an official RIM product, not a third-party app?
    01-11-10 09:23 AM
    I pull the batter on my Pearl 8130 at least twice a day or it will start deleting text, phone calls, etc. My old dumb phone could hold more phone calls then this one....
    01-11-10 09:46 AM
    I also downloaded quickpull lite and use it every so often. It alerts me when my memory gets to around 20 mb (from a fresh boot, I sit at about 34 mb) if I'm doing something memory intensive so I can exit and do a pull or clear caches, depending on what it was I was doing.

I don't actually run into frequent issues, and my free memory is high enough that I'm not going to have deletion issues.
    01-11-10 09:57 AM
    I find it pretty fascinating myself how often people do a battery pull, as well as reboots just because their memory has fallen a large amount without ever waiting for it to "settle".
    01-11-10 12:00 PM
    I rarely do battery pulls

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-10 12:13 PM
    Thanks for all the great input. I should clarify something before more comment on the original post - as a user, I.....

1) Do use the standard mem cleaner (in fact I have my device set to run mem cleaner when i holster it)
    2) Regularly clean browser cache etc. manually
    3) Also use QuickPull Pro (correct me if I'm wrong, but this does nothing more than replace the need to physically remove the battery)
    4) Simulate a battery pull around once a week

As opposed to posting a specific problem of my own, I'm making a statement related to RIM's current performance, and getting a feel for how the rest of the community think. If you compared the support forums of a variety of platforms, I personally don't believe you'd find anywere near as much (some, yes) discussion around the benefits of a lengthy reset process.
    Last edited by chharris; 01-11-10 at 02:16 PM.
    01-11-10 01:28 PM
    The problem has nothing to do with the architecture of any RIM device. Battery
    pulls are accepted because very misguided people post that as a standard answer
    for almost any problem and have no real idea how memory on the device is
    allocated.

As others have stated memory optimization is a good jumping off point.

I never reset my phone unless an app install or deletion, OS upgrade requires it.
    I use no restarting apps at all.
    01-11-10 02:07 PM
    I haven't had to do a hard reset on my Bold since getting it a couple of weeks ago. To be fair, I don't download any apps either. I don't even have the app world downloaded to my device. I stay arounf 124MB all the time. If I keep this up, maybe I won't have this problem that you guys are talking about. My 8330 used to reboot itself a couple of times per week. My wife's Tour doesn't reboot ever. maybe we are getting lucky.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-10 07:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD