I have tried to search this question out but didn't seem to find what I needed. I have the Bold on AT&T and use Wi-Fi at home but really not anywhere else on a consistent basis (no Wi-Fi at work). Would it makes sense for me to manually toggle off Wi-Fi when I don't need it and toggle it back on at home? Would this save any battery time? In other words, does Wi-Fi drain your battery if it's on and greyed out and not actually connected? Or does that have no effect on battery life?
    07-01-09 02:52 PM
    I have tried to search this question out but didn't seem to find what I needed. I have the Bold on AT&T and use Wi-Fi at home but really not anywhere else on a consistent basis (no Wi-Fi at work). Would it makes sense for me to manually toggle off Wi-Fi when I don't need it and toggle it back on at home? Would this save any battery time? In other words, does Wi-Fi drain your battery if it's on and greyed out and not actually connected? Or does that have no effect on battery life?
    Hi,

On my Bold� the WiFi is all the time on. I never had the feeling my battery drains cause of the enabeled WiFi.

Dan

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-09 06:59 PM
    Yes Wi-Fi can drain your battery some what. But this might be the program your looking for.

http://crackberry.com/wifi-disabler-...uter-out-range
    07-02-09 09:31 PM
    The wifi disabler program is great as long as you don't mind having to reconnect to the router. If you go out of reach it turns wifi off, but you then manually have to reconnect once back in range.
    07-15-09 02:42 AM
    The wifi disabler program is great as long as you don't mind having to reconnect to the router. If you go out of reach it turns wifi off, but you then manually have to reconnect once back in range.
    That app is basically pointless... What most don't know is that a simple run through the "Power Modes Screen" in the "WiFi E-Screen" of your phone will show that it already has power saving features. The default is set to Auto Power Save, meaning it will switch to Active (Full Power or no Power Save) when in use and switch to Long/Short Doze (Maximum Power Save) when not in use and back again. You can manipulate these to boost your WiFi range or to save power or leave it on Auto to do that for you. Either way, once the phone is reset the WiFi defaults to Auto Power Save, saving your battery when away from a WiFi hotspot.

IMHO, best bang for your buck, for a dollar more you can buy QuickLaunch which gives you the option of a quick and easy WiFi toggle as well as all the other cool features it offers.

A free quick way would be to set one of your convenience keys to Manage Connections, so you can easily toggle it off/on.
    Last edited by synwars; 07-17-09 at 09:27 AM.
    07-17-09 09:22 AM
    I noticed a significant increase in battery life when I turned off my wifi. I do it manually.
    07-21-09 05:37 PM
    Both WiFi and Bluetooth drain battery if you leave them on all the time.

One way of easily toggling them is to use programs like ShortcutMe.
    You can setup ShortcutMe to one of the followings:

Double Convenience key clicks : Toggle Bluetooth
    Triple Convenience key clicks: Toggle WiFi
    Quadruple Convenience key clicks: Toggle Radio

Double Click the other Convenience key: Toggle All Radios (Airplane Mode Toggle)

Or

Conv. Key + T + B : Toggle Bluetooth
    Conv. Key + T + W : Toggle WiFi
    Conv. Keu + T + R : Toggle Radio

Fully functional free trial version can be found here:
    ShortcutMe, Fastest BlackBerry Shortcuts Application - Personal Productivity Blackberry Software
    07-22-09 11:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD