Sound-off if you think it's time for TMobile to give us back our WiFi Calling! There should be a petition!

Posted on my New BlackBerry Classic
    09-02-15 06:42 PM
    Typo in title..(*your)

09-02-15 06:43 PM
    Why do people care so much about WiFi calling? Phone calls work just as well on LTE. There's no difference between the two.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 07:00 PM
    Why do people care so much about WiFi calling? Phone calls work just as well on LTE. There's no difference between the two.

Posted via CB10
    Try traveling outside the US as often as I do. You'll see the benefits. Trust me.

TMO  Z10,STL100-3/10.2.1.2156
    09-02-15 07:01 PM
    I had no idea T-Mo ended WiFi calling. When did this happen?

Outlooker;
    Some users have such poor coverage in certain areas, that WiFi calling saves the day. It also was awesome when you traveled overseas and made free WiFi calls back to North America.
    I used to be a T-Mo user, and WiFi (UMA) on my BlackBerry 9780 was the only reason I stayed with them for as long as I did. My Office is on the cusp of their 3g/4g area, so the phone constantly cycled between 1 bar GPRS, EDGE, 3g, no bars, ect. Drove me nuts dropping two or three calls a day. I finally just resolved to use WiFi UMA full time and that would work MOST of the time. UMA still dropped calls on me once in a while, so I finally switched to ATT and that made all the difference. 5 bars even in the basement.
    09-02-15 07:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's exactly what the other 2 users said, the advantage come into play when you leave the country(certain places) or loose a cellular signal but are near a wifi signal. Doesn't happen often but it does happen. I recently went to the Dominican Republic and it was too expensive to make calls but free wifi everywhere! Luckily I had free texting and free data

09-02-15 10:15 PM

Outlooker;
    Some users have such poor coverage in certain areas, that WiFi calling saves the day. It also was awesome when you traveled overseas and made free WiFi calls back to North America.
    I used to be a T-Mo user, and WiFi (UMA) on my BlackBerry 9780 was the only reason I stayed with them for as long as I did. My Office is on the cusp of their 3g/4g area, so the phone constantly cycled between 1 bar GPRS, EDGE, 3g, no bars, ect. Drove me nuts dropping two or three calls a day. I finally just resolved to use WiFi UMA full time and that would work MOST of the time. UMA still dropped calls on me once in a while, so I finally switched to ATT and that made all the difference. 5 bars even in the basement.
    I don't know when they did it, but they did cut our wifi calling off..they are supposed to cut it back on with an update eventually..

BBerryPowerUser likes this.
    09-03-15 07:29 AM

Outlooker;
    I think the OP means that WiFi calling isn't available for BlackBerry devices that are brought over to the network. If you buy a device that is capable of WiFi calling, straight from T-Mobile, it should work just fine.

That said, I'm using a Passport and would love if I could install a software patch to use WiFi calling on T-Mobile.

Posted via CB10
    BBerryPowerUser likes this.
    09-03-15 09:55 AM
    I think the OP means that WiFi calling isn't available for BlackBerry devices that are brought over to the network. If you buy a device that is capable of WiFi calling, straight from T-Mobile, it should work just fine.

That said, I'm using a Passport and would love if I could install a software patch to use WiFi calling on T-Mobile.

Posted via CB10
    That is entirely possible, I purchased mine through shopBB and the wifi calling is off.. but before this phone I had a Q10 purchased at TMobile that had wifi calling already enabled.

09-03-15 10:09 AM

Posted via CB10
    T-Mobile uses UMTS mode IV which does not penetrate buildings as well as other mobile frequencies.
    WiFi calling partially compensates for this shortcoming.

One advantage WiFi calling has over a mobile sip client is the ability to seamlessly hand off between wireless and WiFi.
    09-03-15 11:36 AM
    What we need is for BB to make BBM Voice calling to be cross platform to any landline, mobile number, or messaging app.
    09-03-15 12:00 PM
    Wind Mobile should get off their asses and implement UMA/WiFi calling to make up for their own AWS shortcomings.
    09-03-15 12:44 PM
    T-Mobile uses UMTS mode IV which does not penetrate buildings as well as other mobile frequencies.
    WiFi calling partially compensates for this shortcoming.

One advantage WiFi calling has over a mobile sip client is the ability to seamlessly hand off between wireless and WiFi.
    Yes, this is a big plus.

Another very handy thing I used to do with my T-Mo BBerry 9780 was Texting from anywhere I had WiFi just like I was on the Mobile Network. Yes, I know you can do this with a 3rd party client, but with seamless handoff, I would be texting with MY mobile number via WiFi. No one knew the difference. I could send and receive real time texts just as if I was on the cellular network. This was VERY handy when I was on a WiFi (SkyFi) equipped plane. At 30k feet, they don't allow you to make Voice Calls over WiFi, but they did not block Texting. Being able to Text my co-workers, clients, and friends seamlessly as if I was on the T-Mo network was priceless, especially on long-haul flights. 5 hours in the air with no communication is tough, and having native Texting capability was really a premium feature of T-Mo's UMA network. I'm not sure if the new set-up they are using allows this. I'm sure members here will know.

I do miss the T-mo UMA features, but I also enjoy ATT's larger Cellular network and their enhanced customer service (I'm a business customer and get a dedicated business support line in the US). Plus, I had huge issues with T-Mo in the end and bailed out to one of their MVNO providers, Simple Mobile. No feathers on that carrier, just voice and text and data. No WiFi calling. I'd still be with them but they could not partition my account correctly for BIS so I jumped to ATT. Again, I really DO miss the seamless handoff WiFi calling and Texting.
    Especially when in the air.
    09-03-15 01:14 PM
    What we need is for BB to make BBM Voice calling to be cross platform to any landline, mobile number, or messaging app.
    Agreed!!

09-03-15 01:17 PM
    Yes, this is a big plus.

Another very handy thing I used to do with my T-Mo BBerry 9780 was Text from anywhere I had WiFi just like I was on the Mobile Network. This was VERY handy when I was on a WiFi (SkyFi) equipped plane. At 30k feet, they don't allow you to make Voice Calls over WiFi, but they did not block Texting. Being able to Text my co-workers, clients, and friends seamlessly as if I was on the T-Mo network was priceless.
    That's exactly what I was trying to do when I was on a ✈ to the Dominican Republic a few weeks ago. I couldn't use their stupid wifi on the ✈ because I kept getting a error message that said it "didn't support my device"..complete BS, especially since the wifi on the plane was operated by TMOBILE and that's the service I'm with 😤

09-03-15 01:20 PM
    I beginning to think that our John talked with their John... and it was understood when they made up, that developing apps for BB10 would not be all that productive. Thus no Wi-Fi calling updates for newer versions of BB10 have shown up yet.

T-Mobile has poor service at our office, one of my coworkers relied on Wi-Fi calling... And I know a lot of big office buildings... even my Verizon phone loses coverage.... and I wish I had that feature.
    09-03-15 01:35 PM
    I would be happy if they would just make the messaging app truly cross application.
    09-03-15 01:35 PM
    I beginning to think that our John talked with their John... and it was understood when they made up, that developing apps for BB10 would not be all that productive. Thus no Wi-Fi calling updates for newer versions of BB10 have shown up yet.

T-Mobile has poor service at our office, one of my coworkers relied on Wi-Fi calling... And I know a lot of big office buildings... even my Verizon phone loses coverage.... and I wish I had that feature.
    Consider a sip client and a data only plan.
    09-03-15 01:36 PM
    That is entirely possible, I purchased mine through shopBB and the wifi calling is off.. but before this phone I had a Q10 purchased at TMobile that had wifi calling already enabled.

T-Mobile states that they only support WiFi calling on T-Mobile branded devices bought from them. They do not have to support it on unlock BYOD. Sucks but that's the way it is. The unlocked Z10 worked before 10.3, but they currently don't have any 10.3 devices that support it. Z30 has never supported it. They are supposedly working on support for Classic.

Posted via Z30
    09-03-15 01:49 PM
    John Legere is going to do a Reddit AMA on Friday, September 4th. I suggest those of us who have Reddit accounts participate and ask the hard questions.
    09-03-15 02:46 PM
    John Legere is going to do a Reddit AMA on Friday, September 4th. I suggest those of us who have Reddit accounts participate and ask the hard questions.
    Cool I'll ask him about the NSA.!

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2339 / T-Mobile USA
    raino likes this.
    09-03-15 02:55 PM
    Ask him about WFC, the update to 10.3.2.

TMO  Z10,STL100-3/10.2.1.2156
    09-03-15 02:57 PM
    Ask him about WFC, the update to 10.3.2.
    Sorry, when I said 'us,' I didn't mean to imply I have a Reddit account I was referring to us TMO customers/CBers.
    09-03-15 03:06 PM
    I wish BlackBerry's investor meeting had been open to a few "hard questions". I swear they screened all those people....could not believe some of those questions.
    09-03-15 03:16 PM
    It's coming soon
    09-04-15 07:57 AM
37 12