10-01-09 10:20 PM
60 123
tools
    I agree it all depends on coverage. next time most sites have coverage maps on there home page like sprint does type in ur address and check for coverage before you sign a contract because they will not do it for you .. they just want to sell you the phone!!!!
    09-24-09 03:14 PM
    I also don't care for the T-Mobile bashing. I've only had them for about 6 or 7 months, but the service has been nothing short of excellent. Though I will say i wish i had a more powerful phone than my 8220.
    09-24-09 09:43 PM
    depends on where you live.
    I agree that were you live makes a differance, but my palm 800w Sprint phone doesn't drop calls like my Sprint Tour does. My wife had a Sprint razor and it sucks. It is the 5th Sprint phone that she has had in a year. So I gave her my Palm 800w and now she doesn't have to go outside to use her phone.
    09-24-09 11:27 PM
    so i guess JD Power be bull****n on SPRINT being the best for 3 years?
    09-25-09 03:22 AM
    so i guess JD Power be bull****n on SPRINT being the best for 3 years?
    J.D. Power & Associates does a number of types of studies. I'm not sure what Sprint claim you're referring to, but if you check Sprint's own website, they are very specific about which awards and recognition they have won. See this link.

Under "Network", PC World ran a survey of carrier's 3G networks, noted Sprint's reliability at 90.5%, and ranked them as being more reliable than AT&T in every market, and more reliable than Verizon in 8 markets. No mention of J.D. Power here.

Under "Customer Experience", there is no claim about J.D. Power. For 2009, they mention that CIO Insight magazine "recognized" Sprint as the "top wireless vendor to business for value", although I must admit that awards like that tend to be pretty useless to me, as it's incredibly tough to make a general evaluation like "value to a business" that apply to all businesses.

No mention under "Customer Experience" for J.D. Power.

So much for the Sprint website.

In May of 2009, Sprint announced that J.D. Power gave Sprint an award for the "Highest Call Quality Performance Among Wireless Cell Phone Users in the West Region" -- in a tie.

"The J.D. Power and Associates 2009 Wireless Call Quality Performance Study
    measures wireless call quality based on seven criteria that impact a carrier`s
    performance. Wireless phone subscribers surveyed were asked about their
    experiences with dropped calls, static/interference, connection on first try,
    voice distortion, echoes, immediate voice mail notification, and immediate text
    message notification. The West Region includes: Arizona, California, Colorado,
    Idaho, Iowa, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada,
    Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wyoming."

As of 2007, Sprint had finished LAST in Customer Service among major wireless providers according to J.D. Powers. This was the year that Sprint chose to drop a number of customers because they contacted customer service too often! (really -- hard to make up this kind of stuff!).

In the 2009 J.D. Powers study on wireless carrier customer service satisfaction, Alltel, T-Mobile and Verizon had the top scores (four out of five stars), followed by AT&T (3 stars), followed by Sprint (two stars). T-Mobile ranked highest of all on the detailed scoring:

"T-Mobile ranks highest in wireless customer care performance with an index score of 755 on a 1,000-point scale, followed by Verizon Wireless (749) and Alltel (744)."

"Customers who visit the provider’s retail store for service inquiries report waiting an average of seven minutes before speaking with a representative and spend about 25 minutes in the store overall. T-Mobile customers report spending less than 19 minutes in stores to resolve their issues."

A couple more highlights from 2009's survey:

"T-Mobile ranks highest in wireless customer care performance with an index score of 755 on a 1,000-point scale, followed by Verizon Wireless (749) and Alltel (744). In addition to demonstrating strong performance in transferring customers from an automated response system to a live service representative, T-Mobile also performs particularly well in the walk-in and online methods of customer service.

“Much of T-Mobile’s success can be attributed to its ability to reach the customer very quickly,” said Parsons. “More than one-third of T-Mobile subscribers report waiting less than two minutes on hold to speak with a representative. T-Mobile has proved successful when it comes to being prompt, courteous and efficient at identifying and resolving problems in the eyes of its customers.”

The study also finds several key wireless customer care patterns:
    • Customers who visit the carrier’s retail store for service inquiries report waiting an average of seven minutes before speaking with a representative and spend about 25 minutes overall in the store. T-Mobile customers report spending less than 19 minutes in stores to resolve their issues.
    • Fifty-threepercent of wireless customers have contacted the customer care service center for assistance within the past year, marking a six percentage point increase from the same time period in 2008. Additionally, among customers who contacted the service department, 40 percent had an inquiry related to service or equipment, and 39 percent had a billing-related service inquiry."
    From what I can see, Sprint ranked high over the last 2 to 3 years in J.D. Power surveys regarding call quality in the West and South West.
    Last edited by vinmontRD; 09-25-09 at 07:27 AM.
    09-25-09 07:25 AM
    As long as I can keep my awesomeplan with sprint; in the words of my bestfriend idgaf. Lol, really though my mummy has TroubleMobile and I have Sprint I have service way more than her. Only in weird areas like basements I have low signal even then I can still use my phone whereas my mummy could not. Sprint ftw imo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-09 10:39 AM
    Doesn't really matter how good the customer service is if there aren't any towers around.

T-Mobile, based on the information I've gathered, seems to be an excellent value for urban mobile users. It doesn't appear to be a good choice for rural or highly mobile (as in all over the place rather than 3 points of interest - work/school/home) subscribers, despite the low plan costs.

I was going to try T-Mobile, but the coverage map shows that while my particular area is decently covered, there isn't even a tower to roam off of just 50 miles north at my friend's house.

Sprint isn't without it's faults, but it certainly has more coverage area than T-Mobile.
    09-27-09 11:02 AM
    nextel was great. sprint is better than they were. dont have an opinion of tmo....but sprints plans are the best as were nextel's
    09-30-09 11:18 PM
    So as all these companies buy out each other, what happens to the loyal customers? My GF started 9+ years ago with something I think was called Voicestream??? that T-Mobile bought out and basically has never been given any incentive to stay even though a loyal consumer. She is a *cough* Sidekick fan *cough* and currently is trying to get me to get her an *cough* iPhone *cough*. Thus far I will not budge and she is on her own with that battle. I hope someday to make her realize the error of her ways (if not she can figure out how she will get it on her own dime). Curious to know what others think about merges.
    10-01-09 04:27 PM
    I was with Voicestream after suffering through several others, and I was pretty happy. When it became T-Mobile, it only got better. I've stayed with T-Mobile after doing a reevaluation each time one of my contracts is up for renewal, considering things like:
    -- coverage where we tend to travel and need coverage
    -- cost -- services, add-ons, phones
    -- customer service

Everybody has their own unique needs -- but for us, T-Mobile has simply been the best deal around, even as we made the transition from Voicestream (but I've resisted Sidekicks, and I continue to try to talk my son out of getting all excited every time he sees one!).
    10-01-09 10:20 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD