BBM and apple launch are two different entities,also in terms of hardware and software.
    People know about BBM and see the possibility it has in changing the game in IM???
    10-24-13 01:08 PM
    If you were a struggling smartphone maker, desperate for some positive attention, would you schedule a major software launch on the same day as a major Apple product reveal and software deployment? I wouldn't. Why did BlackBerry? They just about guaranteed that BBM would be overshadowed by coverage of Apple's new OS, new iPad and new Macs.

Why not launch the next day, or the day after that, when they could have had the field to themselves. BBM was already delayed. Would one more day have made any difference? I just don't get it.
    At this point, I don't think it's going to really make that much of a diffrerence.
    BergerKing likes this.
    10-24-13 01:15 PM
    if . . . 15 million wanted BBM,why didn't they just buy a blackberry 10 phone?
    What would then be the point of BBM being cross-platformed? Those 15 million people wanted BBM the same way 70 million (or whatever the number is) wanted whatsapp. In this instance, it is about the messaging app, not the phone.
    10-24-13 02:02 PM
    #BBM has been trending on Twitter all week...Apple not so much. All's well that ends well.
    BergerKing likes this.
    10-24-13 02:33 PM
    In terms of the number of downloads, yeah, it's going well. I just think they could have gotten a lot more badly-needed attention from the press if they didn't have to compete with an Apple launch. A day or two later all those tech writers who were busy writing about Apple could have been writing about BlackBerry instead.
    The sheer number of BBM downloads is getting a ton of press. I haven't seen this much positive press on BlackBerry in years. Some of the writers are amazed that BBM has been #1 in Apple's app store for 3 days now. Here are a few articles:

- BBM�s continued success is truly stunning: BBM’s continued success is truly stunning
    - The Successful BBM Launch Points Out A Survival Route For BlackBerry: The Successful BBM Launch Points Out A Survival Route For BlackBerry - Forbes
    - How to avoid waiting for BBM on Android and iOS: How to avoid waiting for BBM on Android and iOS | How To - CNET
    - BlackBerry's BBM slingshots to top spot on Apple's App Store: BlackBerry's BBM slingshots to top spot on Apple's App Store | Mobile - CNET News
    - BBM Finally Launches on iPhone and Android: BBM Finally Launches on iPhone and Android | PCMag.com

A bunch of other articles: https://www.google.com/search?aq=f&h....1.kJKGhjAmBjs

Keith
    10-24-13 03:20 PM
    Maybe it's the region I live in, but I heard nothing about apples product launch. I did, however, hear several news outlets mention BBM going cross platform.

?10
    I heard nothing about the Apple launch myself. A company that is only big because of marketing, isn't doing the greatest at marketing lately

maybe they recruited Frank Boublen
    10-24-13 03:46 PM
    We can debate BBRY's marketing and communications prowess but we must give credit where credit is due. Despite the delayed release on Sep 21 and the poor communications until the re-release on Oct 21, BBRY's BBM4ALL rollout has gone just about as smoothly as one can envision and the 15-20 million reported installations is proof that there is major demand for BBM in the marketplace. One would think that BBRY can figure out a way to monetize this the way Whatsapp has (with a 99 cent annual subscription after a first year free). I would hope that this will give BBRY a taste of success and encourage BBRY to get back in the game more effectively than they did with BB10.

Here's an idea since BBM has been such a success: BBM4Playbook (without the need for tethering). We've got iMessage on our iPad why not BBM for Playbook???
    10-24-13 08:22 PM
    Apple launches are mainly product refresh.
    I personally dont find it anything interesting worth noticing.
    As far as BBM is concern, i am sure their main prority is to push for launches asap, apple event should not be the deciding factor of their cross platform launches.
    10-24-13 08:48 PM
    Personally I think BBM overshadowed the Apple event. Heck I consider myself to be pretty upto date as far as product announcements and such and I didn't even know Apple was having an event. Having added 4 people back to BBM I am super happy! Plenty more are coming.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck and BergerKing like this.
    10-24-13 09:00 PM
    I'm sorry, but I don't see why it's silly to want the field to yourself when you're launching a major product. Everyone knew, at least a month ahead of time, when Apple -- the 800 pound gorilla -- was having their big product launch. Did it really make good business sense to say, "Hey, let's schedule ours on the same day so Apple can steal our thunder"?

Hopefully, it will turn out not to matter in the long run, but since the launch of BBM wasn't time-critical (it could just as easily have been launched the next day), the logic behind the timing baffles me.
    Lets say they had the app ready for launch 5 days before the major Apple event. (After all the CMO said "any day now" just last week)

What do you suppose they do?

1) Launch it on Thursday they were ready so that on the weekend when everyone is not in the office, if something happens, it gets botched again?
    2) Launch it on the following Monday. (Which just so happens to be the day before the major Apple event)
    3) Launch it the day after the Apple event?
    4) Launch it a week after the Apple event?

If they were any later, we would have had like 100 more threads started here saying "BBM is really really late!" "BlackBerry you suck because you're late!" etc etc.

If they did it earlier, like I said, it coincides with the weekend.

I think this time they did it very very very well.

Launch it on a Monday so bugs and issues could be worked out all through the week. (And we indeed saw that both the Android and iOS BBM app already got updates!!)
    Launch it with little to no notice so the server doesn't get bombarded as badly compared to if they had announced it would be available at a specific time.
    Launch it with a lineup to further control server loading and prevent users from crashing their servers. (again...)

Maybe it's just me in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, but every day since Monday I have heard at least a few people in public talking about BBM being available. A lot of my friends are going "wow, everyone is posting their pins on their facebook status." Only one of my friends has said, "hey, apple released a new ipad".
    10-24-13 09:08 PM
    Loll is anyone reading these iphone users bashing bbm? its hilarious
    10-24-13 09:21 PM
    if those 15 million wanted BBM,why didn't they just buy a blackberry 10 phone?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Sort of makes the whole "Blackberry marketing is the reason we've failed" argument kinda moot doesn't it. Poeple in their millions know and knew about BB10 and still decided not to buy it.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    10-24-13 11:40 PM
    I don't know about you but every one around here is buzzing about BBM, not the new Apple products. In fact i've only heard about them from on radio station and if I wasnt driving around at that point in time i'd still have no idea that Apple even released new products.
    10-25-13 10:10 AM
    I think it was a genius move. Think about it? People are all buzzing about Apple's "latest new thing" and go online to learn more. And since BBM for iOS dropped the same day that connection is made and search results about Apple related news may bring up the BBM on IPHONE release.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    10-25-13 11:13 AM
114 ... 345