Time to upgrade from my BB-Bold 9000. Looking for opinions and contructive criticism of the Torch and 9700. My service provider, whom I'm VERY happy with only offers these two based on what I'm looking for-Wifi, Fast loading pages, quality camera pics (for a phone, that is), personal organization, and great apps that I could use in everyday life (not for fun). The iPhone or a Droid is my last resort. I am in love with my BB; however it's been giving me a couple of issues these past few months. I've had it since early 2008. Ready to move on. Only serious comments respond, please. Thanks for your assistance.
    12-03-10 05:09 PM
    I haven't had a Torch yet, but Im on my second 9700. Im also looking at a Torch in the future. I have owned several 8900s, and 9000s also. Coming from a 9000, the 9700s screen and keypad is slightly smaller of course. But the speed of the processor, app memory and camera more than make up for the keyboard. The 9700 is by far may favorite BB to date. I suggest going to AT&T and getting some hands on with both the 9700 and 9800, then decide. Good luck, IMO you cant really go wrong with either.
    SheWolvreene likes this.
    12-03-10 05:28 PM
    Hey, I would have to agree with pilsbury the 9700 is a wonderful device. I know that ATT will be getting the 9780 fairly soon. It has the same form factor as the 9700 but comes with BB6 preloaded and has a 5.0mp camera. Of course you can probably get the 9700 at a much better price and you are really looking at the only difference being the 5.0mp camera vs the 9700s 3.2mp camera since you can run OS 6 on the 9700 as well. The Torch is very interesting to me. Unfortunately where I live I got no service with ATT so I had to switch carriers so I cant get the Torch. Either way you go you cant go wrong, The 9700 was my favorite BB to date with my current Bold 9650 in a close second Hope this helps!!
    SheWolvreene likes this.
    12-03-10 05:35 PM
    I just got the 9780.

The camera is really nice. The extra memory is a good upgrade from the 9700 as well.

I passed on the 9800 as the slider is not right for me.

But all 3 are the best devices now; 9700, 9780, 9800.

I went with 9780 for the latest features.
    SheWolvreene likes this.
    12-03-10 08:33 PM
    Best option would be to go to the store and play with a live model. If I had the option between the 9780 or the Torch...I'd go with the 9780. I love the form factor.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    SheWolvreene likes this.
    12-03-10 09:11 PM
    I'd go for the 9780 over the Torch if I'm upgrading, even though I'm using a Storm 2 now.
    SheWolvreene likes this.
    12-03-10 09:34 PM
    I appreciate all of the replies that I received because you have given me an idea. The problem is: I don't think AT&T is carrying the 9780 right now. At least not on line. I will check the store since I know there is usually a different selection of devices from store/online. I just looked at the 'unboxing' of the 9780, and it def looks as if something that would suite me perfectly. You don't know how much I value your responses. I asked the same question on my carrier's website and BB's website with no responses as of yet. Within minutes I was getting 'hits' from crackberry. You're the best!
    12-03-10 09:53 PM
    I'm not a fan of sliders as well and for the time being I'm so contented and happy with my 9700.
    SheWolvreene likes this.
    12-03-10 11:09 PM
    I've never owned the torch but I've messed around with a friends...as much as I'm not a slider fan I really liked that device. Once you go touch screen you'll never go back.

12-04-10 08:45 AM
    I upgraded from a 9000 to a 9800 and its took me a while just to get the use to the touchscreen but with it being bigger that 9000 and with the accelormeter on it, i find better to browse the net.
    12-04-10 05:56 PM
    I've never owned the torch but I've messed around with a friends...as much as I'm not a slider fan I really liked that device. Once you go touch screen you'll never go back.

I agree. The more moving parts...the more likely it is to break eventually. The Torch has a very solid slider, but still...
    12-05-10 11:25 AM
    One other thing; if the camera is important to you... and you can only choose between the 9700 and 9800...

If the 9800 5mp camera is anything like the 9780 5mp camera (I assume they are both the same), you'll be VERY happy. It's been the biggest surprise for me on my 9780. It takes great pictures!

The 9700 has a 3.2mp camera. It's probably good too, but the 9800 is likely better.
    12-05-10 02:08 PM
    I have owned both Torch and 9700/9780...ultimately, I also recommend going to the store and playing with the models there....I went from a 9000 to a 9700 initially, and I liked the performance of the 9700, but hated transitioning from a large screen.large icons and a comfortable keyboard to a small screen with small icons and (in comparison to the 9000), a cramped keyboard.

In my Torch experience, it was a fun phone for media/social networking- a large screen means a more organized, accessible news feed/ Facebook feed, (and larger calendar view) but I found it very difficult to use for messaging. I also use my phone solely for organization and I found quickly adding a Task or SMS too involving- one had to swipe to find the app, open the app, slide open the keyboard, etc etc. With the 9700, I just have two clicks and start typing...

Now if you want to consider the 9700's little brother, the 9780, then the specs between the two phones are similar- both have 5MP cameras, OS6, and similar battery/talk time. I really only find the physical aspects of the phone (larger screen and keyboard) to be the only difference.

Just find out what the store's return policy is, and test the phones out for yourself I made the mistake of thinking my store's policy was 30 days, when it was really only 14, and that came with the constraints of having to have less than 25 minutes of talk time used as well.
    Last edited by bbstoof; 12-05-10 at 02:37 PM.
    12-05-10 02:34 PM
    I made the mistake of thinking my store's policy was 30 days, when it was really only 14, and that came with the constraints of having to have less than 25 minutes of talk time used as well.
    Lol..ya we Canadians get the shaft when it comes to test driving cellphones. When I was looking to buy the Torch before it was released I asked the Telus store (where i've bought all my phones for the last 5 years) about a return policy..and was promptly told they don't even have one. I said Americans get 30 days..and she replied.."Well that's not how we do it here in Canada hun". Needless to say I went to Bestbuy just in case I wanted to return it..but they told me I only got 15mins of talk time. Pshhh..I'll do 15mins before I leave the parking lot.. We get no love up here

Though i've never used the 9700, i'm sure it's a good phone. Unless you have a problem with the form factor of the Torch (being a slider and all)..then I'd recommend the Torch (for a BB). You get more screen real estate, not to mention the touchscreen/keyboard/trackpad combo. BB's really do make a really nice trackpad, and the combination of all three of them is a great experience.
    12-05-10 02:52 PM
    I said Americans get 30 days..and she replied.."Well that's not how we do it here in Canada hun".
    hahahaha oh man! At least you got the honest answer!
    12-05-10 03:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD