Came earlier this morning.
    4.41am.

Time to Switch from BBM?-img_20160916_112813.jpg
    09-16-16 10:30 AM
    Google it. All those have had articles about them. Most recently the RCMP encryption key.

Also, the adult dating ads are shameful. I created BlackBerry ID for my son. After I log in I immediately start seeing ads for Zoosk and **** like that. That's pretty sleezy. At least put ads up that are relevant to my history...
    Could you perhaps make a screenshot the next time you see an adult ad on BBM? And then share it with us? Think it is indeed very shameful that such ads are in a chat app. Need to make BlackBerry aware of this bull****.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-16 04:15 PM
    It's now there, inline with your chats.
    Good job blackberry, I'm more productive now.

09-18-16 12:44 AM
    If you don't want to have ads you can consider subscribing for add free BBM.

Yes, there is an argument as to why should you pay for an ads free BBM when WhatsApp is free and do not have any ads. If you do not know yet, WhatsApp will share your information with Facebook and its advertisers so that they can contact you. So if you don't see ads, they will still advertise to you in a different way.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-18-16 12:35 PM
    If you do not know yet, WhatsApp will share your information with Facebook and its advertisers so that they can contact you. So if you don't see ads, they will still advertise to you in a different way.

Proof?
    09-19-16 12:31 AM
    Proof?
    Whahaha you must have been living under a rock these last few weeks.... search it online man, it has been on every news website... or check your WhatsApp settings, maybe you are still within the 30 day period to disable it (this option is not available on BlackBerry devices).

Also, WhatsApp shows you a pop-up they are going to do it, on Android and iOS...

Posted via CB10
    David Tyler likes this.
    09-19-16 12:47 AM
    Whahaha you must have been living under a rock these last few weeks.... search it online man, it has been on every news website... or check your WhatsApp settings, maybe you are still within the 30 day period to disable it (this option is not available on BlackBerry devices).

Also, WhatsApp shows you a pop-up they are going to do it, on Android and iOS...

Posted via CB10
    Because it hasn't happened to me yet
    09-19-16 01:09 AM
    Because it hasn't happened to me yet
    That is very strong reasoning there...

Posted via CB10
    09-19-16 01:30 AM
    That is very strong reasoning there...

Posted via CB10
    Just can't see the way yet, since I don't fill any phone number form on my facebook.
    09-19-16 06:13 AM
    Just can't see the way yet, since I don't fill any phone number form on my facebook.
    When I had Facebook, they officially never had my phone number either. But I am sure they have clever ways of connecting my Facebook account to my mobile number. Especially since I accessed the Facebook app from the same phone that I used WhatsApp on. Probably, unique device information was gathered from both the Facebook and WhatsApp app... and they saw that these were the same.

A perfect example was that a work contact suddenly showed up on my Facebook as a suggested friend. I never searched for that person on Facebook, but I do have that person's phone number on my WhatsApp. We had no common friends either. So how did they connect us then, if not for WhatsApp?

They can probably also see it from the social connections, since quite a lot of other people have entered their phone number to Facebook...

I got rid of Facebook few months ago. Haven't missed it at all. Next app to kill is WhatsApp. But that is very very hard for me...

Posted via CB10
    09-19-16 06:56 AM
    I had the exact same experience.

First, Whatsapp requires your number (unless something has changed). My cell number is printed as an alternate number on my business card and I have represented thousands of people, including criminal defendants. I opened Whatsapp and many from up to a decade ago showed up. Some started sending me messages.

Then I set up a Facebook page for my homeowners association. Facebook either matched up my name with contact entries in others' phones who were also on Facebook, or I screwed up and let Facebook mine my phone when I set it up. Either way, it can't be undone and dozens and dozens of people who had nothing to do with my HOA but were clients and former clients started requesting an "invite".

I dumped both Facebook and Whatsapp.

It was exactly like when my email was accessed from Iran (before I had two factor authentication) and people started complaining about odd emails, or when I fell for a phishing scheme (from a contact) that sent a matching phishing scheme to over 3000 contacts of mine, including judges, law enforcement, government agencies, etc. Except the phishing scheme.

Blackberry Messenger has never done any of those things.

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    09-19-16 08:11 AM

First, Whatsapp requires your number (unless something has changed). My cell number is printed as an alternate number on my business card and I have represented thousands of people, including criminal defendants. I opened Whatsapp and many from up to a decade ago showed up. Some started sending me messages.

Then I set up a Facebook page for my homeowners association. Facebook either matched up my name with contact entries in others' phones who were also on Facebook, or I screwed up and let Facebook mine my phone when I set it up. Either way, it can't be undone and dozens and dozens of people who had nothing to do with my HOA but were clients and former clients started requesting an "invite".
    That must have been so awkward and annoying...
    09-19-16 03:53 PM
    Since they were criminal clients, yeah, awkward and annoying is an understatement.

09-19-16 11:53 PM
    When I had Facebook, they officially never had my phone number either. But I am sure they have clever ways of connecting my Facebook account to my mobile number. Especially since I accessed the Facebook app from the same phone that I used WhatsApp on. Probably, unique device information was gathered from both the Facebook and WhatsApp app... and they saw that these were the same.

A perfect example was that a work contact suddenly showed up on my Facebook as a suggested friend. I never searched for that person on Facebook, but I do have that person's phone number on my WhatsApp. We had no common friends either. So how did they connect us then, if not for WhatsApp?

They can probably also see it from the social connections, since quite a lot of other people have entered their phone number to Facebook...

I got rid of Facebook few months ago. Haven't missed it at all. Next app to kill is WhatsApp. But that is very very hard for me...

Posted via CB10
    Just wonder, if same thing happen to you again, don't mind to take some screenshoots. What's version of whatsapp/facebook you're using by the way?

I'm currently using whatsapp 2.16.259, facebook 94.0.0.17.68, and still no sign of breaching.

I don't use facebook very often and don't mind if some suggested friends show up depends on people I already knew. But if it happens the other way around, some strange facebook stuffs show up on whatsapp like how BBM do, h*ll I leave.
    09-20-16 12:37 AM

It was exactly like when my email was accessed from Iran (before I had two factor authentication) and people started complaining about odd emails, or when I fell for a phishing scheme (from a contact) that sent a matching phishing scheme to over 3000 contacts of mine, including judges, law enforcement, government agencies, etc. Except the phishing scheme.

You should be more aware before sharing your phone number. It will go the same way if you share your pin recklessly.

But I think the algorithm still goes the right way. Matching you by some stuffs that you've/might have already related. And also you're free to reject them all. Importantly, that stuffs are not ads.
    09-20-16 12:59 AM
    Just wonder, if same thing happen to you again, don't mind to take some screenshoots. What's version of whatsapp/facebook you're using by the way?

I'm currently using whatsapp 2.16.259, facebook 94.0.0.17.68, and still no sign of breaching.

I don't use facebook very often and don't mind if some suggested friends show up depends on people I already knew. But if it happens the other way around, some strange facebook stuffs show up on whatsapp like how BBM do, h*ll I leave.
    Lol, that would mean taking screenshots of people's name and potentially their profile pictures because otherwise, you won't have some kind of proof. I wouldn't do that, share someone else their profile picture here.

And besides. I dumped Facebook a few months ago.. and I am not going to create a new Facebook account just to prove my experience

Posted via CB10
    09-20-16 01:03 AM
    Lol, that would mean taking screenshots of people's name and potentially their profile pictures because otherwise, you won't have some kind of proof. I wouldn't do that, share someone else their profile picture here.

And besides. I dumped Facebook a few months ago.. and I am not going to create a new Facebook account just to prove my experience

Posted via CB10
    It's ok, just wonder what others are experiencing. Is it real fact or just some strange folks blabbering around..

LOL, so it was few months ago. Not sure if they have implemented those yet. But glad that were not suggested ad invitations.
    09-20-16 01:58 AM
    It's ok, just wonder what others are experiencing. Is it real fact or just some strange folks blabbering around..

LOL, so it was few months ago. Not sure if they have implemented those yet. But glad that were not suggested ad invitations.
    Sure, you can call me strange and blabbering. It is healthy to keep a critical or even cynical point of view. I have one myself. All I can say to you is that this experience is completely true and happened last year. Whether you want to believe or not, is your decision.

And yes, you are right. This happened way before Facebook officially declared that they were going to share WhatsApp data with Facebook. But if you search online, you will discover that Facebook has on a few occasions lied about their activity.

But don't mistake this Facebook bashing that I won't criticise BBM when I think they deserve it. BBM can be very spammy, on certain platforms when the No Ads subscription isn't employed. I have already stated this numerous times. I am also not sure whether they are on the right track with monthly subscriptions. Think they should offer more payment plans.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-16 04:05 AM

Sorry but this sounds more like user error

You must have still had those numbers as well otherwise it wouldn't have shown in your contacts list. Also, its quite simple to block numbers on whatsapp if need be

And you must have given Facebook the permissions to act like that, since it is purely an optional thing.

Granted it sounds like you can get by without both of these, but just saying it seems like not understanding what was going on than failings of the apps in your case.

BBM has never done that sort of thing because it is unable to. In the first case, that is why BBM is dying, as whatsapp connected people effortlessly.
    In the second case BBM has nothing near as powerful as Facebook to tap into.
    chain13 likes this.
    09-20-16 04:23 AM
    You should be more aware before sharing your phone number. It will go the same way if you share your pin recklessly.

But I think the algorithm still goes the right way. Matching you by some stuffs that you've/might have already related. And also you're free to reject them all. Importantly, that stuffs are not ads.
    I don't disagree with you. But I am 48 and have been alive since well before facebook was invented, yet have managed to not make an error like that in all of those years. I'm not criticizing your point; I am merely pointing out that clicking one wrong answer among many during a Facebook setup for my HOA was a really big deal vis a vi my phone number, yet the potential for that sort of inconvenience with Blackberry Messenger is exactly zero.

09-20-16 07:57 AM
    Sorry but this sounds more like user error

You must have still had those numbers as well otherwise it wouldn't have shown in your contacts list. Also, its quite simple to block numbers on whatsapp if need be

And you must have given Facebook the permissions to act like that, since it is purely an optional thing.

Granted it sounds like you can get by without both of these, but just saying it seems like not understanding what was going on than failings of the apps in your case.

BBM has never done that sort of thing because it is unable to. In the first case, that is why BBM is dying, as whatsapp connected people effortlessly.
    In the second case BBM has nothing near as powerful as Facebook to tap into.
    Sorry; I responded to another before reading yours. It was user error. I must have clicked "find other contacts" or, since I used a number to set up the HOA account (since my email was already used to set up my personal account), maybe I didn't click the wrong thing and my number was found by others.

But, for me, half of the point of contacts is to know who is calling me for purposes of electing to answer and logging my calls. I think that's pretty common for pro use, so I can't accept that keeping contacts in my phone is a fault.

In any case, my point was that Blackberry Messenger doesn't actively screw me like facebook and Whatsapp do with my number.

Maybe I am atypical. I've had the same number since 2001, it is on my business cards, and I make a point of giving it to people to be sure they can reach me. With Facebook and Whatsapp, but not Blackberry Messenger, I felt that I lost control over my number. That's really a key advantage of bbm-- one that was built into it from its inception.

But I'm honestly not as invested in Blackberry Messenger as a platform for all as I may appear. I use it. I require clients who want to message me to use it. Ipay for Blackberry Messenger services. If others don't want to use it or the advantages of Blackberry Messenger are not apparent or worth it to them, I really don't care. I can tell you that a lot of government officials, and professionals who are ethically and legally required to preserve confidence (physicians and Lawyers) and are of a certain generation that was on earth before targeted ads were a glint in Google's eye use it; if no one pauses to consider those facts, so be it. Really, that's a microcosm of BlackBerry's offerings and declining fortune.

Blackberry Messenger is well thought out, has lasted considerably longer than any other Messenger, values your privacy, and can be made more private still with paid services. It has a conglomeration of features that, to my knowledge, can't be found in any other, single Messenger. It is baked into BlackBerry phones and is essential to the BlackBerry suite. If people don't want to use it, okay. I'm doing my small part to support its success. But, truthfully, I use it to communicate, not merely to chat, and that focuses my thinking. The same could be said of my mobile devices in general.

TCB on Z10 likes this.
    09-20-16 08:11 AM
    Sorry; I responded to another before reading yours. It was user error. I must have clicked "find other contacts" or, since I used a number to set up the HOA account (since my email was already used to set up my personal account), maybe I didn't click the wrong thing and my number was found by others.

But, for me, half of the point of contacts is to know who is calling me for purposes of electing to answer and logging my calls. I think that's pretty common for pro use, so I can't accept that keeping contacts in my phone is a fault.

In any case, my point was that Blackberry Messenger doesn't actively screw me like facebook and Whatsapp do with my number.

Maybe I am atypical. I've had the same number since 2001, it is on my business cards, and I make a point of giving it to people to be sure they can reach me. With Facebook and Whatsapp, but not Blackberry Messenger, I felt that I lost control over my number. That's really a key advantage of bbm-- one that was built into it from its inception.

But I'm honestly not as invested in Blackberry Messenger as a platform for all as I may appear. I use it. I require clients who want to message me to use it. Ipay for Blackberry Messenger services. If others don't want to use it or the advantages of Blackberry Messenger are not apparent or worth it to them, I really don't care. I can tell you that a lot of government officials, and professionals who are ethically and legally required to preserve confidence (physicians and Lawyers) and are of a certain generation that was on earth before targeted ads were a glint in Google's eye use it; if no one pauses to consider those facts, so be it. Really, that's a microcosm of BlackBerry's offerings and declining fortune.

Blackberry Messenger is well thought out, has lasted considerably longer than any other Messenger, values your privacy, and can be made more private still with paid services. It has a conglomeration of features that, to my knowledge, can't be found in any other, single Messenger. It is baked into BlackBerry phones and is essential to the BlackBerry suite. If people don't want to use it, okay. I'm doing my small part to support its success. But, truthfully, I use it to communicate, not merely to chat, and that focuses my thinking. The same could be said of my mobile devices in general.

Ahh fair enough

I will say, that I find it a tad unfair on these forums when BBM is compared to Facebook. BBM is primarily a communication focused tool, whereas Facebook is focused on social integration. The aims are completely different.

BBM compared to Whatsapp is a more accurate comparison. And a few years ago I would have argued that your observations are dead on. However Whatsapp has since integrated encryption which is far more effective than BBM's traditional encryption, although I have no idea if they updated it, but from what I gather, you have to pay to receive stronger encryption.
    Whatsapp was built on being able to effortlessly link you to your friends, I'm fairly certain they never envisaged being used as an enterprise tool seeing as BBM ruled there. Of course it's so popular that of course businesses and enterprise use it, but as you point out, it can be problematic if your personal device is also your business device. Whatsapp is incredibly easy to block contacts on so it may take a little setup work but it could function exactly how you want it.

I used to love BBM, it was great. But it has lagged behind and I fear does not get the support it deserved. Once my messages started taking up to a hour to get through, it was time to leave.
    As a business tool, it worked great, but it's almost the opposite of Whatsapp when it comes to ease of use. I work in a government department for my country and BBM was always disabled for on official Blackberry devices. It's only been recently that we have had it enabled. So it's never been important in the eyes of Government officials as it simply was not there. However I cant deny it's history and I miss the old BBM, it was lightning quick and BBM groups still walks over Whatsapp groups.

But at the end of the day, we're discussing things, which have different points of standards depending on your needs.

From your posts, it is clear to me that BBM suits your needs whereas Whatsapp would suit mine. Just use what works and hope it carries on working!
    09-20-16 08:42 AM
    Ahh fair enough

I will say, that I find it a tad unfair on these forums when BBM is compared to Facebook. BBM is primarily a communication focused tool, whereas Facebook is focused on social integration. The aims are completely different.

BBM compared to Whatsapp is a more accurate comparison. And a few years ago I would have argued that your observations are dead on. However Whatsapp has since integrated encryption which is far more effective than BBM's traditional encryption, although I have no idea if they updated it, but from what I gather, you have to pay to receive stronger encryption.
    Whatsapp was built on being able to effortlessly link you to your friends, I'm fairly certain they never envisaged being used as an enterprise tool seeing as BBM ruled there. Of course it's so popular that of course businesses and enterprise use it, but as you point out, it can be problematic if your personal device is also your business device. Whatsapp is incredibly easy to block contacts on so it may take a little setup work but it could function exactly how you want it.

I used to love BBM, it was great. But it has lagged behind and I fear does not get the support it deserved. Once my messages started taking up to a hour to get through, it was time to leave.
    As a business tool, it worked great, but it's almost the opposite of Whatsapp when it comes to ease of use. I work in a government department for my country and BBM was always disabled for on official Blackberry devices. It's only been recently that we have had it enabled. So it's never been important in the eyes of Government officials as it simply was not there. However I cant deny it's history and I miss the old BBM, it was lightning quick and BBM groups still walks over Whatsapp groups.

But at the end of the day, we're discussing things, which have different points of standards depending on your needs.

From your posts, it is clear to me that BBM suits your needs whereas Whatsapp would suit mine. Just use what works and hope it carries on working!
    I think it must have been a really long time ago since you've seen or used BBM as your perception of seem to be that of BBM when it first went cross platform and no further. BBM has evolved tremendously since then then.

It's not perfect yet but it is feature rich and has surpassed that of WhatsApp by far. However there does seem to be a slight lacking in BBM group chats. Their features are not as standardised as that of WhatsApp. Even in view of BBM having less standardised features than WhatsApp, BBM still dwarfs WhatsApp in terms of features that matters.

09-20-16 11:14 AM
    Ahh fair enough

Well said.

A client recently asked me to install Whatsapp and I downloaded it, but in the process it asked to confirm my cell number. That was a show stopper for me so I uninstalled it. I then Google'd it and I may be confusing one thing for another but I seem to recall that the data is accessible at Whatsapp servers when "at rest". BlackBerry's data is accessible at rest, too, I assume. I gathered that Whatsapp was protective of data in transit, and Blackberry Messenger was protective of data on the device, in transit, and at rest. I do pay extra for bbm protected, which adds a third layer of encryption and benefits anyone I communicate with (though there are extra features if they also have a protected subscription).
    Apparently, BlackBerry protected data is still encrypted x2 at rest.

I know, that's nerdy.

You're right, as with everything the use case can and does determine what's best. If I wasn't paying for services and got ads in Blackberry Messenger I'd probably be singing a different tune. Blackberry Messenger stretched a little with channels, the monetization was a little hamfisted, and groups are a hot mess. But when I can have private messages with clients then go to a private voice or video chat seamlessly, then rest assured that no screenshots of my conversations can be made and they disappear at the expiration time? Awesome.

And since I really use it for work it doesn't bother me so much that the rest of the world is running away from it. Honestly, I can't even get my family too use it.

Last edited by CharlieV; 09-20-16 at 10:51 PM.
    darkehawke likes this.
    09-20-16 08:49 PM
    I think it must have been a really long time ago since you've seen or used BBM as your perception of seem to be that of BBM when it first went cross platform and no further. BBM has evolved tremendously since then then.

It's not perfect yet but it is feature rich and has surpassed that of WhatsApp by far. However there does seem to be a slight lacking in BBM group chats. Their features are not as standardised as that of WhatsApp. Even in view of BBM having less standardised features than WhatsApp, BBM still dwarfs WhatsApp in terms of features that matters.

Nah I used BBM well after crossplatform. Used it for a long time with Glympse integrated too.
    But after a while it just seemed to degrade for me. Glympse suddenly be laggy. Messages took ages to go through. Used to work fine crossplatform for me for ages.
    Got frustrated when the only changes I could see were new sticker packs.

It may have changed and gotten better, but everyone I know had abandoned it by then
    09-21-16 02:54 AM
179 ... 34567 ...