Its great that you are supporting them, but tell me, how are they supporting you? They are the ones that have the responsibility to the consumer, not the other way around.
    they have supported me by bringing back to life this brilliant phone with an incredible OS that i am proud to own both the Z and Q and wholeheartedly support. i ask for nothing more, because i know they have put their heart and soul into this resurrection, and i know in due time we will have it all and more. that is what matters most, and the rest will follow.

Posted via CB10
    BBVegasGirl80 and Vorkosigan like this.
    06-29-13 06:33 PM
    Yes, after 5 months into product launches kick out the head guy. That makes sense. Remember, Thorsten picked this company up and kept it going before they had products to even launch. In his time, he's done quite well to keep things afloat as far as I can tell and he's only NOW just beginning, he has plenty more work to do before things can change for the better and anyone thinking anything was going to change in a 5 month span of product launches is just off their rocker.
    L�o Apotheker (another German, go figure) did a lot of damage at HP in a few short months. HP was smart to can him and cut their losses and hire Meg Whitman - and now they seem to be in the midst of a turnaround. and HP is a bigger ship and harder to turn.

IMO BB needed new fresh blood to replace the previous two monkeys. instead they hired an insider - a third monkey which is simply a continuation of the previous two monkeys. this failure was predictable. the trend is clear - BB is doomed.
    06-29-13 06:37 PM
    What??? How is any of this HIS fault?

The PlayBook was brought out by the old RIM. His only misstep was telling us that we'd get BB10 on the PlayBook before they found out that it wouldn't be good. I'm sure he didn't KNOW that it wasn't going to pan out when he told us it would.

The only area that needs work, where BlackBerry is 100% in control, is their marketing I think. Their new phones are great products, but they don't do the best job of letting everyone know.
    06-29-13 08:05 PM
    they have supported me by bringing back to life this brilliant phone with an incredible OS that i am proud to own both the Z and Q and wholeheartedly support. i ask for nothing more, because i know they have put their heart and soul into this resurrection, and i know in due time we will have it all and more. that is what matters most, and the rest will follow.

Posted via CB10
    I need your drug supplier's name and how to reach him.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    pims, bobauckland, bp3dots and 1 others like this.
    06-29-13 08:08 PM
    Considering the muck filled quagmire that the company was stuck in when he took over... I say give him some more time. I'm not waving the flag saying that he's the best, but I think that he's moved the company in the right direction.

The true test for him is NOW. What does he do with the speed bump (mountain?) that they have hit with this earnings call/Playbook debacle. Can he make some tough decisions to get the marketing going properly? I hope so.
    06-29-13 08:13 PM
    What??? How is any of this HIS fault?

The PlayBook was brought out by the old RIM. His only misstep was telling us that we'd get BB10 on the PlayBook before they found out that it wouldn't be good. I'm sure he didn't KNOW that it wasn't going to pan out when he told us it would.

The only area that needs work, where BlackBerry is 100% in control, is their marketing I think. Their new phones are great products, but they don't do the best job of letting everyone know.
    You've answered your own question. People are upset that he told people something that isn't going to happen.

06-29-13 08:15 PM
    First you people say he's done wonders and a great CEO. Now you get an earnings call that has slightly lower expectations and he's gotta go.

God what a bunch of babies. Things aren't going to happen in the first few quarters of release. Relax and let's see what happens down the road.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed 100%!!!!

BlackBerry for life. Kick'n it with my Z10.
    bradu1 likes this.
    06-29-13 10:58 PM
    It is so sad that a company that started out by creating products considered so addictive and loyalty-inducing that the term "crackberry" was coined is now reduced to miscues, bumbling and "not quite ready for prime time" actions.

Remember when all the "cool kids" had Blackberries? When the President of the United States considered the Blackberry to be such a critical tool that he asked his office to ensure he had a modified BB so he could keep in touch with his closest associates? When it seemed like the Blackberry could do no wrong and the iPhone was considered just a flash in the pan? Boy, how times have changed.

Thorsten Heins wasn't the CEO when this all started to fall apart because RIM stood still while the world ran past it. RIM's attitude seemed to be one of pure arrogance just like Jim Balsillie's. That because RIM started the smartphone revolution, they somehow had a "right to be relevant". How wrong they were!

Thorsten Heins inherited a stinking pile of dung so it's hard to justifiably put it all on his shoulders. I would say that the mess is more the Board of Director's fault as they continued to maintain confidence in a management team that was becoming clearly overwhelmed by the speed at which their sector was moving. Thorsten Heins is just a byproduct of the seeming ineptitude at RIM/BBRY.
    BBVegasGirl80 and potatoguy like this.
    06-29-13 11:20 PM
    First you people say he's done wonders and a great CEO. Now you get an earnings call that has slightly lower expectations and he's gotta go.

God what a bunch of babies. Things aren't going to happen in the first few quarters of release. Relax and let's see what happens down the road.

Posted via CB10
    I think his presentations have been on par with a style reminiscent of Frankenstein's monster...i mean, put some bolts in the guys neck and paint him green...voila. Stiff, unnatural speaking, and not at ease at all on stage.
    Furthermore, Frank Boulben, easily the WORST marketing guy ever, was hired during the Heins era...so I haven't ever thought he was good....he's"meh" at best

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 12:02 AM
    It seems most the head honchos at Blackberry now are European imports. Why don't they hire a decent Canadian with some charisma and balls?
    06-30-13 12:18 AM
    Why don't they hire a decent Canadian with some charisma and balls?
    Yeah, like Tie Domi

Posted via CB10
    potatoguy likes this.
    06-30-13 12:36 AM
    It seems most the head honchos at Blackberry now are European imports. Why don't they hire a decent Canadian with some charisma and balls?
    I think charisma and balls won't cut it. I think they need someone who can be trusted because he/she keeps his/hers words no matter what.

Not someone who can lie straight in your eyes.
    06-30-13 12:38 AM
    06-30-13 12:39 AM
    L�o Apotheker (another German, go figure) did a lot of damage at HP in a few short months. HP was smart to can him and cut their losses and hire Meg Whitman - and now they seem to be in the midst of a turnaround. and HP is a bigger ship and harder to turn.

IMO BB needed new fresh blood to replace the previous two monkeys. instead they hired an insider - a third monkey which is simply a continuation of the previous two monkeys. this failure was predictable. the trend is clear - BB is doomed.
    Really? You're using HP as an example. Well, OK.. Are you also going to consider the timeframes in which they were hired? Only recently has HP shown signs of life and again, the stuff that was in control of Thorsten has only been happening over the past 5 months. Everything before that was clean up of previous co-CEO's mess which sadly is still ongoing.

I have no doubt the PlayBook wouldn't have even been released in Thorsten was heading up things then. I'm not disagreeing with you in the fact they need to make some things pop but.. even Meg Whitman said part of the issues at HP was the CEO revolving door. Pulling yet another CEO before this one even has a chance to get his feet wet isn't going to help BlackBerry in any way. Let's use Meg Whitman again.. what did she ask for out of shareholders and the HP board? Patience.
    06-30-13 12:43 AM
    I think we were all hoping for a miracle and we didn't get it. The company is not number one. It's not even where they want to be right now. But I think it's better than where we were on the last earnings call. I think it's showing improvement that the media said was impossible at that time.

I don't think Thor lied to us. I think he fully planned on bb10 on playbook. We saw the posts about playbook bb10 showing up in tests. That screen resolutions were showing up for apps. I think in the bend, it just didn't work. And I'm sure Thor is just as upset about this as us. He knew that would be a huge negative for a lot of people out there, but he sucked it up and told us.

Those of us hoping for a miracle, yeah, we're disappointed it didn't happen. Those of us that were planning on a miracle? Well, hopefully you'll take this as a life lesson.

Now let's stop complaining and get to contacting those developers about making apps for us, and let's hit up att and Verizon about being blatantly anti-bb, and get back to enjoying these awesome phones!

Posted via CB10
    +1, this.

Posted via CB10
    bradu1 likes this.
    06-30-13 12:44 AM

Posted via CB10
    What are you talking about? Earnings are a big indicator of how things are going on with a company. How else are we suppose to know what is going on with a company. Remember what happened with Groupon? Two misses and the CEO is gone. Thor is just too finicky. He can't keep his promises. I can see that he doesn't want to launch or release a half baked product but can't he do his analysis before making any promises? At least he should keep his mouth shut if he doesn't have enough information. The other thing is he is just not charismatic enough to build good relationship with the media. Blackberry needs to build its image, especially in the states where it has lost lot of market share and I think they need to get a CEO who is more media friendly and assertive.
    xBURK likes this.
    06-30-13 01:25 AM
    Thor is still my hero. ...snip
    Misguided at best. Truly sad if true.
    06-30-13 01:30 AM
    You've answered your own question. People are upset that he told people something that isn't going to happen.

Yes, but at the time he said it, he probably did not know that it wasn't coming. He could have A) Said nothing about it, which would have prompted people saying, "BlackBerry needs to be more transparent!!!" B) Told us it was coming, because it looked like it was doable C) Split the difference and said they were "looking into it," which would have prompted people screaming, "BlackBerry is stringing us along!" ...........BlackBerry went with B, but any of the options lead to people complaining.

People can be mad at anything they want.. and while there's no way for anyone to prove this, I'd say Mr. Heins didn't knowingly mislead people. I'm just glad the only people he p1ssed off were a very limited number of PlayBook owners, which, in the big picture, won't make or break them. They need to quickly do something positive to brush this all under the rug (I know that sounds heartless, but they're running a business), because before Friday, BlackBerry was making a real comeback with BlackBerry 10.
    06-30-13 02:09 AM
    Haha this thread, one word : seriously?
    06-30-13 02:10 AM
    What are you talking about? Earnings are a big indicator of how things are going on with a company. How else are we suppose to know what is going on with a company. Remember what happened with Groupon? Two misses and the CEO is gone. Thor is just too finicky. He can't keep his promises. I can see that he doesn't want to launch or release a half baked product but can't he do his analysis before making any promises? At least he should keep his mouth shut if he doesn't have enough information. The other thing is he is just not charismatic enough to build good relationship with the media. Blackberry needs to build its image, especially in the states where it has lost lot of market share and I think they need to get a CEO who is more media friendly and assertive.
    No opposite, thorstein speeches are now almost robotic like. He's needs to be more open about the company and a bit more translucent about the issues and what they're working on. Give us some answers, silence isn't always the best solution. Its killing them

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 03:26 AM
    Thor: CEO or Con Artist?
    Seriously? I've been ignoring all your BB10 bashing posts for the past while. I mean, once you've read the first one the rest are pretty much just the same thing over and over.

However - for you to call the CEO a con artist is a bit rich. I convinced my husband and myself that the new Z10 would be a good phone partially based on YOUR glowing reviews after you got to try one out. Now you think it's the worst move ever by BlackBerry. So are you a con artist and a fraud?

And by the way. The Z10 is a fantastic phone and I'm loving it. I think Mr. Heins has done an incredible job of turning the BlackBerry ship. The job's not finished yet, but I'm willing to bet he knows better than me what needs to be done.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 10:18 AM
    All I can say is, from a poor decision that has made someone with authority like Sinofsky and Forestall to hit the streets and leave their respective companies, why can't someone from the Blackberry have the same fate?

(not that I'm really pointing out to choose Thor, of course...

well, it's Thor, I guess... :P)

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by peter_betos; 06-30-13 at 01:38 PM.
    06-30-13 01:28 PM
    He's not getting fired guys.. I like the guy, but hate his decisions at the moment. Playbook was a symbol of their respect to their customers. They aren't in the palm or hp position to do something so drastic as to release 5 devices one after another and fail us on all but they did it anyways... the playbook could had rehashed spirits and those 700'000 customers who would upgrade would had been their best marketing campaign. Better then the millions spent on a horrible super bowl ad

They have not kept a company promise in many years..

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 02:21 PM
    Man you guys are fickle! First the guy is supposed to be the best CEO since Steve Jobs. Then, when it becomes clear that he's not Steve Jobs you want him gone?

Like Bla1ze said, patience. I don't know how BB ultimately makes it in this market, but I have the same concerns for Nokia and HTC. They had a bad quarter. That doesn't mean the last year was in vain.

Transitioning from one platform to another is freaking hard. The only company that has done it successfully is Apple. And if Apple were undergoing that transition from Mac OS to OS X today and not like 15 years ago, I'm not sure it would have worked. The market moves a lot faster in mobile than in desktop.

I say, give the guy time. He's not perfect but at least he's trying to turn the ship.
    Jerale Hoard likes this.
    06-30-13 03:43 PM
    Unlike some here I didn't jump on the bandwagon on his first day on the job. It was both funny and sad how he was considered the best CEO in the tech industry just because BBRY did what they had to do: update their product to current industry standards, something which anyone would have done in his position.

My opinion of him started out neutral, preferring to evaluate him on his actions. For various reasons too numerous to go into in this post my opinion of him deteriorated and hit rock-bottom when I heard yesterday that they're planning on releasing another OS 7 device. There isn't a worse message about your new OS that a BBRY CEO can send out to the market.

Until he understands the importance of apps, he won't "get it".
    This pretty much sums up how I feel. The release of a BB7 device is a big no no... why go backwards? Nothing says "we dun goofed" like going back on your word (ex. Xbox One DRM fiasco)

One part I don't agree with though is the last line about apps. I'm pretty sure Heins and team are well aware about the importance of apps and they've stated in the past that they have approached big name app makers. At the end of the day though, they can't force anyone to make an app. A dev has to see potential in the platform to want to devote time into an app and one of the first indicators is userbase. The only other option is to give them money to make the app but I find that to be a failed strategy as it's not even working out for Windows Phone that much...
    06-30-13 06:01 PM
103 12345