You need an official statement from BlackBerry stating that they can read your posts in order to believe it?

Spoiler alert: that will never happen.
    That's exactly the point.

Of course BlackBerry or any other company is NOT going to actively make such a statement.

So any conclusions reached here are just "opinions". With or without facts at the end they are just respected opinions not conclusively proofed true. Then to each his own what to believe or not.

Freedom of choice and decision.
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    06-08-19 12:19 AM
    That's exactly the point.

Of course BlackBerry or any other company is NOT going to actively make such a statement.

So any conclusions reached here are just "opinions". With or without facts at the end they are just respected opinions not conclusively proofed true. Then to each his own what to believe or not.

Freedom of choice and decision.
    Sorry bud. If a key is exchanged in-band, they have it. Period. Full stop.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-08-19 12:23 AM
    Sorry bud. If a key is exchanged in-band, they have it. Period. Full stop.
    If they share information with the authorities in order to save lives, for example against terrorist or mafia, the collaboration is more than welcome.

Criticizing this is insane...unless you are sympathizing with fanatics.... (I hope not..).

Then if you think with your "facts" that BB is losing money with BBME, why do not write your theories and send them to the BoD of BB? I am pretty sure they cannot wait to hear your theories....and facts. Good luck with that...
    06-08-19 03:45 AM
    BBMe is as secure as you'll get for consumers.
    Signal uses a mobile number to identify you - nice - and you cannot remove members from a chat. Also, it's like any messenger app that isn't whatscrap, there are limited users.
    My advice as a Blackberry fan and user on this Blackberry forum is to set up your groups on BBMe. At last we have an app to be proud of.
    Support it.
    Rico4you and anon(10218918) like this.
    06-08-19 04:37 AM
    If they share information with the authorities in order to save lives, for example against terrorist or mafia, the collaboration is more than welcome.

Criticizing this is insane...unless you are sympathizing with fanatics.... (I hope not..).
    So, you'd be fine if they legislate against all forms of end-to-end encryption?
    06-08-19 08:29 AM
    Elfabio probably doesn't mean that. It's not about generally prohibiting end-to-end encryption. But if a judge issues an order in an individual case, I think it's at least okay.
    Last edited by Paulelmar18; 06-08-19 at 09:34 AM.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    06-08-19 08:45 AM
    So, you'd be fine if they legislate against all forms of end-to-end encryption?
    This has nothing to do with what I wrote. In case the authorities have suspects or are doing important investigations should be allowed to have access to the information needed.... Let's not be ridiculous....

But then again, in case you are against this, since your beloved Chen shared information with the authorities, write to him to show how you upset are about this matter... I am sure he cannot wait to hear from you...
    06-08-19 09:32 AM
    This has nothing to do with what I wrote. In case the authorities have suspects or are doing important investigations should be allowed to have access to the information needed.... Let's not be ridiculous....

But then again, in case you are against this, since your beloved Chen shared information with the authorities, write to him to show how you upset are about this matter... I am sure he cannot wait to hear from you...
    This is an all-or-nothing thing. If you believe that under ANY circumstances law enforcement should have access to messages, then you MUST legislate against end-to-end encryption. There is no middle ground.

In any event, people need to understand that functionally, BBMe Consumer is no different from the old BBM - unlike real BBMe and other apps like Signal.

And if you're ok with that, then so be it - enjoy the product for what it is.
    Mecca EL and app_Developer like this.
    06-08-19 09:41 AM
    Elfabio probably doesn't mean that. It's not about generally prohibiting end-to-end encryption. But if a judge issues an order in an individual case, I think it's at least okay.
    There is no middle ground.
    06-08-19 09:45 AM

I have no need to do this.

I know what the product is, and I know what BlackBerry's policy is. I choose what's best for my needs - as everyone should.
    06-08-19 10:04 AM

I suggest you read up on the latest Australian cyber laws and the intentional ambiguity they contain. Of course the standard excuses have been wheeled out - prevention of terrorism, drugs etc but the reality is they are demanding backdoors to every platform for many reasons.

These new laws come from the same Muppets that cannot even secure a health database effectively.

Its about data. Data enables data matching. Data matching enables automated demands for additional taxation payments for previous periods and for all future periods.

It's not about the money; it's about the money
    06-08-19 10:17 AM
    There is no middle ground.
    Of course there's another way.

Take the example of a house search by the police. Normally they don't have the right to invade your house. They have to ask you but you don't have to let them in.

But if you are accused of a crime and the police have a warrant, they can enter your apartment and you even have to open the door for them.
    06-08-19 10:47 AM
    Of course there's another way.

Take the example of a house search by the police. Normally they don't have the right to invade your house. They have to ask you but you don't have to let them in.

But if you are accused of a crime and the police have a warrant, they can enter your apartment and you even have to open the door for them.
    The issue is technical. You are either truly end-to-end encrypted, or you're not. If you are, the info is not available - ever.

So if ANY level of access is required, end-to-end MUST be made illegal.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-08-19 11:03 AM
    2019 Comparison: Most Secure Messaging App | NordVPN

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=m1DwFcE7

The only thing I can't find is how to turn on encryption in Telegram. In the write up it is reported that encryption is off by default. Maybe since this review it is now on permanently.
    Signal is NordVPN's #1 preferred secure messaging app.
    BBME isn't even in the ratings, but that is understandable since at the time of the review it wasnt available for the public consumer.
    06-08-19 11:26 AM
    2019 Comparison: Most Secure Messaging App | NordVPN

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=v28VepAU

The only thing I can't find is how to turn on encryption in Telegram. In the write up it is reported that encryption is off by default. Maybe since this review it is now on permanently.
    Signal is NordVPN's #1 preferred secure messaging app.
    BBME isn't even in the ratings, but that is understandable since at the time of the review it wasnt available for the public consumer.
    Signal. Best of a bad bunch.
    Roll the dice...
    06-08-19 11:44 AM
    The game had long been over by 2013 for BlackBerry/BBM. I think people forgot how this whole thing unfolded. Recall a time around 2004 (ish) when most everyone was trying to text from their flip phones and being charged by their carrier for every text sent and received. Oh, how I don't miss pressing "5" three times to get an "L." Dark days, indeed.

Along comes BlackBerry with devices equipped with full QWERTY keyboards and BBM. These two features essentially allowed consumers to get away from typing on numeric keypads while "texting for free" via BBM. Instant winner. The fact that the BlackBerry came with large colorful displays (for the time), extraordinary battery life and rugged durability were icing on the cake. They were really "cool" phones relative to other offerings.

However, once Apple and Google turned mobile phones into a Disneyland circus with established "ecosystems" complete with fart apps and angry birds, it was game over. Smartphone users marveled at high resolution touchscreens and what mobile devices could do for them in terms of productivity, convenience and most importantly, entertainment. The BlackBerry was no longer "cool." In fact, anything branded "BlackBerry" was specifically avoided as it represented old technology. This consumer sentiment is what put BlackBerry in the grave. No matter what good things BlackBerry would go on to develop (BB10), consumer's weren't going to have anything to do with it.

Follow that up with carriers offering "unlimited talk and text" and that was the end of the short-lived BlackBerry/BBM phenomenon.

It was never about security in the consumer market, and it still isn't.
    With BBM specifically I think you're forgetting that there was a lot of interest in the service when it launched on iOS and Android in 2013. Within the first week of launch they added over 20 million users to the platform, these are huge numbers for any app or service. This happened despite the official launch being disrupted by fake apps.

https://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/...base-past-80m/

The problem? The iOS and Android apps weren't great which, in my opinion, hurt their momentum. There are many threads about battery drain, missed messages, etc. Why deal with that when WhatsApp, Messenger, Line, etc just worked?

That being said, unlike mobile phones you don't need to be in the top 3 to stand a chance at making money. You can be the 10th most popular messaging app and still be profitable. Would BlackBerry really be upset with 1 million paying BBMe consumer subscribers?
    06-08-19 12:06 PM
    However, once Apple and Google turned mobile phones into a Disneyland circus with established "ecosystems" complete with fart apps and angry birds, it was game over. Smartphone users marveled at high resolution touchscreens and what mobile devices could do for them in terms of productivity, convenience and most importantly, entertainment.
    You essentially contradict yourself in the same paragraph. First you claim that apps are basically useless and app stores were/are a disneyland circus, then in the next sentence you seem to be forced to admit that ppl found a lot of apps useful. So which is the reality? (The answer is evident once one steps outside the BBRY echo chamber)
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-08-19 12:16 PM
    So if ANY level of access is required, end-to-end MUST be made illegal.
    I see it the other way round. End-to-End is the legal way, but the misuse of the technique is illegal.
    06-08-19 12:18 PM
    You essentially contradict yourself in the same paragraph. First you claim that apps are basically useless and app stores were/are a disneyland circus, then in the next sentence you seem to be forced to admit that ppl found a lot of apps useful. So which is the reality? (The answer is evident once one steps outside the BBRY echo chamber)
    Nowhere in my post did I say apps are useless.
    06-08-19 12:29 PM
    Nowhere in my post did I say apps are useless.
    Ok I qualify my post: in the first sentence you used highly negative language regarding apps and app stores (fart apps, angry birds, disney circus). Indeed, you did not say openly that apps were useless.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-08-19 12:33 PM
    Who hacked to get information that Apple refused to give? A third party. That has never happened with BlackBerry.
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...rable-1138732/
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-08-19 12:37 PM
    Ok I qualify my post: in the first sentence you used highly negative language regarding apps and app stores (fart apps, angry birds, disney circus). Indeed, you did not say openly that apps were useless.
    "Disneyland", "Angry Birds", "Fart apps" are not negative words. I think you may be reading too much into this.

The idea was that consumer interest shifted focus from basic communication (talk, text, email) into multi-layer communication (all of the aforementioned plus messaging and several social platforms) with a major shift in emphasis on entertainment more so than outright communication.
    06-08-19 12:41 PM
    "Disneyland", "Angry Birds", "Fart apps" are not negative words. I think you may be reading too much into this.

The idea was that consumer interest shifted focus from basic communication (talk, text, email) into multi-layer communication (all of the aforementioned plus messaging and several social platforms) with a major shift in emphasis on entertainment more so than outright communication.
    Ok in this case I apologize. I saw a good number of fanatical anti-app people on this forum and I believed you are one of them.
    06-08-19 12:43 PM
    Ok in this case I apologize. I saw a good number of fanatical anti-app people on this forum and I believed you are one of them.
    Nope. Love apps. Just not the silly ones. But, that's just me. I really enjoy productivity apps.
    06-08-19 12:45 PM
    Signal. Best of a bad bunch.
    Roll the dice...
    Signal needs your phone number and adds all your contacts on their server.
    Rico4you likes this.
    06-08-19 02:55 PM
173 1234 ...