I was surprised to find someone suggesting setting up a Blackberry group on Telegram, especially on a Blackberry forum.
    And then even the eternal blackberry guard dog Conite suggested that the app may disappear in 2 years.

Maybe he's right, I hope not. I feel annoyed at the lack of Blackberry loyalty on a Blackberry forum, even if it's Quixotic.

For me, it should be the go to app for governments, political groups and large companies (especially North American), due to being the "safest" messenger app and the fact that it's not "foreign".

Let's support it and put pressure on Blackberry through Social Media.

Maybe it'll sink, but our Spanish group will be on the ship till we have to don our life jackets.

Over to you.
    06-07-19 05:24 AM
    Fully agree Simon ...this post should be also on the BBMe thread.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    06-07-19 05:37 AM
    06-07-19 05:41 AM
    Thanks Rico
    06-07-19 05:48 AM
    I was surprised to find someone suggesting setting up a Blackberry group on Telegram, especially on a Blackberry forum.
    And then even the eternal blackberry guard dog Conite suggested that the app may disappear in 2 years.

Maybe he's right, I hope not. I feel annoyed at the lack of Blackberry loyalty on a Blackberry forum, even if it's Quixotic.

For me, it should be the go to app for governments, political groups and large companies (especially North American), due to being the "safest" messenger app and the fact that it's not "foreign".

Let's support it and put pressure on Blackberry through Social Media.

Maybe it'll sink, but our Spanish group will be on the ship till we have to don our life jackets.

Over to you.
    I’m only a slight BB and BBMo fan ;-) but the whole point of CB and supporting BB products is to support good and rational decisions that will lead to success.

I’m signed up on BBMe or BBMc whatever it’s called and conite uses the more expensive NSA proof version. He’s questioning the claimed security of the cheaper version and I’m questioning the business model and economic viability of the cheaper version.

We both support BB and want it to succeed. As usual it’s just not blind support and wanting better and clear explanations if BB wants our money.
    06-07-19 06:06 AM
    A communication app is only as valuable as the number of your existing or potential contacts who use it. BBMc has already been shedding users for years, making it nearly useless for most people, and now that BBMc has been discontinued, i'd be surprised if even 20% of those users bother to set up a BBMe account.

Even most BB fans aren't going to use a product that doesn't make much sense to use just because it has the BB brand name on it, and you kind of have to question those who DO use it just because it has the BB brand name on it. Doesn't it make more sense to use the product that is the best choice - period? For a PKB phone, that's obviously a BB-branded device, but for a messaging app, the number of active users has to be heavily weighted in your decision. And then when you consider that even BBMe could well be discontinued in the relatively near future, and it's easy to understand why a lot of people have moved on. Signal and Telegram are more than secure enough, and unlike BBM have had outside peer review.

Brand loyalty should only go so far.
    06-07-19 11:27 AM
    Well, I installed it from day one they announced its availability to the regular consumer. I succeeded to bring my girlfriend on board, but she hated it and delete it and told me to keep using WhatsApp in our chat and calls because BBMe is boring and has nothing better than WhatsApp. The rest of my family and friends didn't like the idea of installing it, eventhough I offered them using my credit card for registration.

Now my BBMe is running with ZERO contacts in my list, and it really doesn't make any sense to keep bragging about it and ask people to support it.

If BBM was that successful and great, it would have succeeded since its launch on all platforms years ago.
    BBMe will die soon as well. Don't keep your hopes high!
    Mecca EL, melhiore, phuoc and 1 others like this.
    06-07-19 12:16 PM
    When most people don't care for privacy it makes it not better. And what most people do must not be right.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-19 12:22 PM
    When most people don't care for privacy it makes it not better. And what most people do must not be right.

Posted via CB10
    Sure they care about security and privacy... up to a point. It's the reason many moved away from BBM years ago. Some to the full version of BBMe once it came to market, others to other End-to-End solutions like Signal and Telegram.

Heck even WhatsApp was a better product than BBMc from a security and privacy standpoint. BBMe (consumer) might have an edge on WhatsApp now... from a privacy standpoint. But enough to make people drop something they have been happy with for years?
    06-07-19 01:56 PM
    Sure they care about security and privacy... up to a point. It's the reason many moved away from BBM years ago. Some to the full version of BBMe once it came to market, others to other End-to-End solutions like Signal and Telegram.

Heck even WhatsApp was a better product than BBMc from a security and privacy standpoint. BBMe (consumer) might have an edge on WhatsApp now... from a privacy standpoint. But enough to make people drop something they have been happy with for years?
    Did you read the postings from archie_ze in the "500k" thread?
    06-07-19 02:00 PM
    Not our responsibility to be BlackBerry's marketing department. I don't need a second volunteering gig promoting BlackBerry.
    06-07-19 02:07 PM

In all the time of BBM, BBM emtek, BBMe enterprise have not heard of any type of hack / security incidence and or bad press of their security level or lack of..none..zero..and there were millions of users. So here now in forums all of a sudden seems like BBMe not "fully" secured? And comparing to whatsapp that's had it issues with security, monetized data ( why Facebook bought). whatsapp better version? That besides it's also a mayor source of battery drain..unlike BBMe...but who cares about that?!
    Guess like everything in the world ...Likes and Hates.
    Habe a good weekend folks.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    06-07-19 02:11 PM
    Did you read the postings from archie_ze in the "500k" thread?
    I've read all four of his post...

Who is he?
    I trust Conite much more than someone who just joined CrackBerry.

But my point is BBMc ruined the perception that BBM was secure or private... there have been enough articles on law enforcement gaining access. So fan site isn't going to be able to overcome that with this new version of BBMe that is purposely "less" than it could be.

But I'll be honest... I don't care. I mostly use good old fashion SMS/MMS, which I know not to send credit card or truly confidential info over. But a Starbucks order or check on my kids.... its fine.

Work I do use Slack... and to be honest I've never even checked on it's security or privacy.
    John Albert and Mecca EL like this.
    06-07-19 02:25 PM
    In all the time of BBM, BBM emtek, BBMe enterprise have not heard of any type of hack / security incidence and or bad press of their security level or lack of..none..zero..and there were millions of users. So here now in forums all of a sudden seems like BBMe not "fully" secured? And comparing to whatsapp that's had it issues with security, monetized data ( why Facebook bought). whatsapp better version? That besides it's also a mayor source of battery drain..unlike BBMe...but who cares about that?!
    Guess like everything in the world ...Likes and Hates.
    Habe a good weekend folks.
    BBM (not the BES Version) under BlackBerry and BBM under emteck... never was hacked that we know of. But clearly the messages were accessible - as lots of criminals found out. Some were cases where BlackBerry provided the info, others made it sound like law enforcement had the public key.

I'm not saying BBMe (consumer) isn't secure, but it' isn't as secure as BBMe (enterprise) - there are two different levels of security being offered, depending on what you want to pay.
    06-07-19 02:36 PM
    BBM (not the BES Version) under BlackBerry and BBM under emteck... never was hacked that we know of. But clearly the messages were accessible - as lots of criminals found out. Some were cases where BlackBerry provided the info, others made it sound like law enforcement had the public key.

I'm not saying BBMe (consumer) isn't secure, but it' isn't as secure as BBMe (enterprise) - there are two different levels of security being offered, depending on what you want to pay.
    As you state...BBM ( BlackBerry and Emtek) never hacked ..that we know of

That "lots of criminals found out" is such ample statement...but never really shown. Fake news? Very plausible. Nobody had a public key?...lots of talk but no action.

BlackBerry providing info...yes good for them helping Law enforcement! Apple could have done the same but said no and then.. worse..it was shown how a 3rd party Israeli company could hack / gain access to iPhone! So who had the Public key there... LOL!

Now saying that BBMe consumer is not as secure as BBMe enterprise based on some NOT confirmed by BlackBerry security questions? Again it's just an opinion same as mine here.

Have no knowledge that in the forums BlackBerry has acknowledged what some have claimed...security issues and or questions based on their respected analysis... but NOT confirmed.

Respecting this is a Forum of opinions. Awesome to that!
    Last edited by Rico4you; 06-07-19 at 11:18 PM.
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    06-07-19 03:36 PM
    I'm not advocating BBMe only, these days you need to have WhatsApp in certain countries to keep in contact with people.
    However, BBMe is the most secure messenger app available, and for Blackberry groups as well as organizations that require the safest chat app, BBMe is the only choice.
    I also have Telegram due to belonging to a local political party. yet recently I was added to another group on it just because I was found on this app. Also, contacts of mine who join Telegram suddenly appear in the app. A total disaster.
    Rico4you likes this.
    06-07-19 07:06 PM
    Well, I installed it from day one they announced its availability to the regular consumer. I succeeded to bring my girlfriend on board, but she hated it and delete it and told me to keep using WhatsApp in our chat and calls because BBMe is boring and has nothing better than WhatsApp. The rest of my family and friends didn't like the idea of installing it, eventhough I offered them using my credit card for registration.

Now my BBMe is running with ZERO contacts in my list, and it really doesn't make any sense to keep bragging about it and ask people to support it.

If BBM was that successful and great, it would have succeeded since its launch on all platforms years ago.
    BBMe will die soon as well. Don't keep your hopes high!
    This 100 times. No one else wants to use it.
    06-07-19 07:11 PM
    Now saying that BBMe consumer is not as secure as BBMe enterprise based on some NOT confirmed by BlackBerry security questions? Again it's just an option same as mine here.
    It's not an "opinion". Facts are facts.

Plus, BlackBerry has a long history, and a stated policy, of working generously with law enforcement.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-07-19 07:11 PM

The consumer version of BBMe would not be acceptable for high-security government and corporate use. The full version is required for that.

Plus, Signal, for example, provides the same (or better) security as the full enterprise version (which is $40/yr) for free. That's the issue.

BBMe only makes sense as part of an enterprise app suite offering within a UEM solution.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-07-19 07:17 PM
    The consumer version of BBMe would not be acceptable for high-security government and corporate use. The full version is required for that.

Plus, Signal, for example, provides the same (or better) security as the full enterprise version (which is $40/yr) for free. That's the issue.

BBMe only makes sense as part of an enterprise app suite offering within a UEM solution.
    Yeah I'm not sure who the target audience for BBMe consumer even is at this point. Your average consumer might be sick of Facebook, Google, Microsoft, etc but that doesn't mean they would want to pay a premium for a service that has fewer features and more roadblocks than the alternatives.

I thought BlackBerry had the right idea with BBM in 2013/2014 by making it a free service to use and making money from stickers, music purchases, payment transactions, etc. It didn't help though that the iOS and Android apps weren't great, especially compared to what BB10 had.
    06-07-19 07:58 PM
    I thought BlackBerry had the right idea with BBM in 2013/2014 by making it a free service to use...
    The game had long been over by 2013 for BlackBerry/BBM. I think people forgot how this whole thing unfolded. Recall a time around 2004 (ish) when most everyone was trying to text from their flip phones and being charged by their carrier for every text sent and received. Oh, how I don't miss pressing "5" three times to get an "L." Dark days, indeed.

Along comes BlackBerry with devices equipped with full QWERTY keyboards and BBM. These two features essentially allowed consumers to get away from typing on numeric keypads while "texting for free" via BBM. Instant winner. The fact that the BlackBerry came with large colorful displays (for the time), extraordinary battery life and rugged durability were icing on the cake. They were really "cool" phones relative to other offerings.

However, once Apple and Google turned mobile phones into a Disneyland circus with established "ecosystems" complete with fart apps and angry birds, it was game over. Smartphone users marveled at high resolution touchscreens and what mobile devices could do for them in terms of productivity, convenience and most importantly, entertainment. The BlackBerry was no longer "cool." In fact, anything branded "BlackBerry" was specifically avoided as it represented old technology. This consumer sentiment is what put BlackBerry in the grave. No matter what good things BlackBerry would go on to develop (BB10), consumer's weren't going to have anything to do with it.

Follow that up with carriers offering "unlimited talk and text" and that was the end of the short-lived BlackBerry/BBM phenomenon.

It was never about security in the consumer market, and it still isn't.
    Last edited by Platinum_2; 06-07-19 at 09:05 PM.
    06-07-19 08:55 PM
    And BBM's popularity (and BBOS's) in places like Indonesia, Nigeria, and South Africa were for the same reason - just about 5 years behind North America and Europe. And just like NA and Europe, those users left when something better/easier came along, which in their case was inexpensive Android phones (with full app ecosystem) and WhatsApp.
    ppeters914 and pdr733 like this.
    06-07-19 11:29 PM
    It's not an "opinion". Facts are facts.

Plus, BlackBerry has a long history, and a stated policy, of working generously with law enforcement.
    Point 1: It's still your opinion as there is no "official " statement otherwise. Call it whatever you want to call it with facts or no facts.

Point 2: Yes here there is an official statement here from CEO John Chen that BlackBerry does co-operate with law enforcement agencies, etc. When needed. Yes BlackBerry has a key. But nobody else does or has "hacked" in without a key.

Who hacked to get information that Apple refused to give? A third party. That has never happened with BlackBerry.
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    06-07-19 11:30 PM

Who hacked to get information that Apple refused to give? A third party. That has never happened with BlackBerry.
    They had physical access to the device. They broke into the device - it had nothing to do with message encryption.
    Mecca EL and melhiore like this.
    06-07-19 11:52 PM
    Point 1: It's still your opinion as there is no "official " statement otherwise.
    You need an official statement from BlackBerry stating that they can read your posts in order to believe it?

Spoiler alert: that will never happen.
    Mecca EL and ppeters914 like this.
    06-07-19 11:53 PM
173 123 ...