Well considering all the conflicting, confusing sources, let's just assume source A says it's PKB, source B says it's touch... let's not figure out who's who. Bottomline nobody knows except for the few within BlackBerry. :P
    Haha! Deal.
    07-02-16 08:45 PM
    Ugh I was hoping the Mercury was the higher end phone because a high end touch running Android is nothing special compared to what's already out. But a high end BlackBerry with a keyboard and running Android? That sounds a lot more awesome than the VKB ones.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-16 11:22 PM
    Some of the online things I've read about Argon state that with all of the improved typing experiences with different apps and such and speech recognition that most people do not desire physical keyboards.

I know it's been stated in the past by Chen himself that most of the phones will have physical keyboards, its sink or swim time now and they need to do whatever is necessary to move more phones.

Diehard fans may want the pkb but that's not enough to attract new buyers. Overkill in any situation is never a good thing

Posted via CB10
    It's sad when people actually think a keyboard is only for typing. Such limited thinking.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    07-02-16 11:48 PM
    The Digital Trends article is based mainly on the Venture Beats article which say the Mercury PKB model is expected in Q1 which is consistent with earlier reports and what John Chen has said.

The author also say that the Mercury is similar to the Passport, but all of the renders to date show it with a full four row keyboard making it closer in form to the Classic, but with a 3:2 rectangular screen ratio instead of the Classic's square 1:1 screen.
    Well, Q10, not Classic, because no toolbelt...

07-02-16 11:51 PM
    He did say 2 phones, but I don't think he mentioned anything about keyboards.

And as much as I'm enthusiastic about keyboards too... the Priv was also unique on the market but it certainly didn't trigger "a lot of attention". Maybe some tabloid blogs trashing it and "putting BlackBerry on death watch", just maybe.
    People keep making these comparisons. The phone was WAY overpriced. There won't be a fair assessment of how the public will react until they release an Android phone with decent specs, a pkb, and a decent price. Until then we don't know how the market is for that. Using the Priv as a basis for comparison makes absolutely no sense for me.

And that has been BB's problem all of this time. They keep coming up with good ideas for phones, then releasing them with one thing that keeps it from meeting expectations.

pizzawheel likes this.
    07-02-16 11:58 PM
    Ugh I was hoping the Mercury was the higher end phone because a high end touch running Android is nothing special compared to what's already out. But a high end BlackBerry with a keyboard and running Android? That sounds a lot more awesome than the VKB ones.

Posted via CB10
    What?? There are no high-end all-touch phones running Android out there, you're crazy, lol. :-P

07-02-16 11:59 PM
    What?? There are no high-end all-touch phones running Android out there, you're crazy, lol. :-P

Well compared to Samsung galaxy s7 and iPhone 6s, the Argon pales in comparison.. that's why to me personally, the Mercury sounds like a unique phone!

Posted via CB10
    07-03-16 12:03 AM
    Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Mercury rumored to have a fingerprint scanner as well? I remember Dylan posting something about that a few months back also.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-16 12:07 AM
    Well compared to Samsung galaxy s7 and iPhone 6s, the Argon pales in comparison.. that's why to me personally, the Mercury sounds like a unique phone!

Posted via CB10
    I was being sarcastic, lol.

07-03-16 12:55 AM
    Definitely agree with Slag when he said priv was overpriced. I was really excited for the phone and I know a number of people who were too. When we saw the price on it they just went with a cheaper and higher spec'd android and I stuck with my BB10 device. Im really hopeful that the price on these next couple releases are good. Ive heard good things about the vkb from BlackBerry and im curious enough that I think Im going to break with the decade long tradition of BlackBerry pkb's. If the specs are accurate it will be more than enough phone for me in either of the vkb handsets and im going to cross my fingers that the cameras focus faster than my passport. With two little ones in constant motion trying to capture a non blurry photo has been a nightmare. Ive loved BB10 but the ship has sailed and im ready to try something android from them.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-16 06:27 AM
    IMO it's "dead" as in it can't pull the margins the board of directors are expecting, and what Chen mentioned about "rethinking what to do when it's not profitable".

And never say never. HP announced three webOS devices, even held a big event for it, and without warning it just decided to scrap and kill it all. Besides we haven't made it pass the rumour phase yet for those 3 phones.
    IMO people people spread lies here mostly and that made people's perception!

Posted via Priv
    07-03-16 09:07 AM
    People should look up what the 3:2 aspect ratio means. IPhone has it. So no passport or classic form factor. Renders are correct. Just a reminder.
    07-03-16 10:57 AM
    People should look up what the 3:2 aspect ratio means. IPhone has it. So no passport or classic form factor. Renders are correct. Just a reminder.
    Which render is the correct one? And does Mercury have a fingerprint reader?

Posted via CB10
    07-03-16 04:29 PM
    Which render is the correct one? And does Mercury have a fingerprint reader?

Posted via CB10
    07-03-16 06:19 PM
    Then what is the render that Dylan and Flow have been posting? With the USB C type charger?

Posted via CB10
    07-04-16 12:54 AM
    Then what is the render that Dylan and Flow have been posting? With the USB C type charger?

Posted via CB10
    07-04-16 03:32 AM
    Lol yeah I'm aware of that one! I just don't understand why there's two conflicting renderings of the same device and the article about the rumored specs doesn't even mention a fingerprint reader for the Mercury (Rome)!

Posted via CB10
    07-04-16 05:57 AM
    Lol yeah I'm aware of that one! I just don't understand why there's two conflicting renderings of the same device and the article about the rumored specs doesn't even mention a fingerprint reader for the Mercury (Rome)!

Posted via CB10
    Actually the two renders are very similar.
    07-04-16 08:11 AM
    I think one of the things that hurts BlackBerry the most in terms of sales is the way in which they release phones.

If the Argon is rumored to release in October then they should try to adhere to their schedule.

If they are trying to win even a little bit of market share back, they either need to release their phones all at once or in the USA First and not always in other foreign countries while the USA has to wait usually 3 months or more and then that is a big IF to see if carriers are even interested in selling the phone. No offense to other countries but why should they receive everything first and the USA last? That Can't be doing to much for BlackBerry in terms of sales.

As put many times over many of us move on to the next latest and greatest as the buzz fizzles out from having to wait so long for something. No one else does things in this way. Not even the smaller companies. Why should BlackBerry be any different. Once you have the momentum going on your side, why kill it?

Posted via CB10
    JeromeM, luc4625 and Gallofa like this.
    07-04-16 02:07 PM
    I think one of the things that hurts BlackBerry the most in terms of sales is the way in which they release phones.

If the Argon is rumored to release in October then they should try to adhere to their schedule.

If they are trying to win even a little bit of market share back, they either need to release their phones all at once or in the USA First and not always in other foreign countries while the USA has to wait usually 3 months or more and then that is a big IF to see if carriers are even interested in selling the phone. No offense to other countries but why should they receive everything first and the USA last? That Can't be doing to much for BlackBerry in terms of sales.

As put many times over many of us move on to the next latest and greatest as the buzz fizzles out from having to wait so long for something. No one else does things in this way. Not even the smaller companies. Why should BlackBerry be any different. Once you have the momentum going on your side, why kill it?

Posted via CB10
    I agree all three phones should be released all at once. 2 touch 1 keyboard. It'll look more like a current lineup and will draw a good amount of attention when displayed. I really think the Priv was a test device and blackberry have concluded with all the feedback most people want iPhone build quality and camera with stock up to date android. Their 3 new offerings will cover all bases in their BES bundles. If they have any really innovative devices in the pipeline, it'll be at least a year or two before we see them.
    07-05-16 04:09 PM
    ^ no offense but iphone build quality? The passport is by far a better built device. Iphone 6 build is basically 25% under designed aluminum. Hahaha.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 05:57 PM
    ^ no offense but iphone build quality? The passport is by far a better built device. Iphone 6 build is basically 25% under designed aluminum. Hahaha.

Posted via CB10
    Still, which feels better to hold? Lol I'm no iPhone fan but I gotta admit the iPhone 6 has a very sleek design compared to the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 07:28 PM
    Very nice, BlackBerry is making its way through the android world, I hope that they succeed,
    at the same time I wish that they would put out another BlackBerry 10 phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-16 12:56 AM
    I agree all three phones should be released all at once. 2 touch 1 keyboard. It'll look more like a current lineup and will draw a good amount of attention when displayed. I really think the Priv was a test device and blackberry have concluded with all the feedback most people want iPhone build quality and camera with stock up to date android. Their 3 new offerings will cover all bases in their BES bundles. If they have any really innovative devices in the pipeline, it'll be at least a year or two before we see them.
    I don't think you understand where BlackBerry is, and just what all the cut's that Chen has had to make means. The might have a guy capable of pumping out some very cool renders in a couple of hours... but the true engineering and design teams are gone - Passport was already designed when Chen came on board. There is no "pipeline" or roadmap for BlackBerry now. It's more about partnerships with "builders" like Foxconn or full fledge OEM's like Alcatel. What devices are already out there that can be used. Or how do we slap a keyboard onto an existing frame and build is cheaply.

"Good amount of attention when displayed".... maybe a few Canadian or UK Carrier's might put these new BlackBerry's on display. But these are enterprise devcies, that will not be able to compete against the rest of the Android market... I doubt many carries will bother with more than an online presence... if that. And really doubt any will carry all three, to be displayed together.

Problem I really see is timing. Here in the US, Verizon has already pulled the BB10 lineup. How long before AT&T runs out of inventory too? BlackBerry is leaving the door open, and inviting IT Managers to go see what else is out there... if the whole "we are dropping another platform" was not enough of a reason to go searching.

Really think these Android selections needed to be in place long before the BB10 line up began fading from the market.
    07-06-16 08:33 AM
    I don't think you understand where BlackBerry is, and just what all the cut's that Chen has had to make means. The might have a guy capable of pumping out some very cool renders in a couple of hours... but the true engineering and design teams are gone - Passport was already designed when Chen came on board. There is no "pipeline" or roadmap for BlackBerry now. It's more about partnerships with "builders" like Foxconn or full fledge OEM's like Alcatel. What devices are already out there that can be used. Or how do we slap a keyboard onto an existing frame and build is cheaply.

"Good amount of attention when displayed".... maybe a few Canadian or UK Carrier's might put these new BlackBerry's on display. But these are enterprise devcies, that will not be able to compete against the rest of the Android market... I doubt many carries will bother with more than an online presence... if that. And really doubt any will carry all three, to be displayed together.

Problem I really see is timing. Here in the US, Verizon has already pulled the BB10 lineup. How long before AT&T runs out of inventory too? BlackBerry is leaving the door open, and inviting IT Managers to go see what else is out there... if the whole "we are dropping another platform" was not enough of a reason to go searching.

Really think these Android selections needed to be in place long before the BB10 line up began fading from the market.
    I agree but when Chen came on board his job was to stop chasing public opinion and get the financials in order (He made the classic just to please some old biz folk). The three year turnaround is coming to fruition and Chen was quoted in an interview recently ( I gotta see if I can find it) that the really innovative stuff is yet to come. The 2 or 3 phones he's releasing this year is to get back into enterprise with an end to end offering. No carrier support, no problem. He's going direct for the next year until they start making serious money again and then he'll choose which path to take. I really believe they have multiple innovative business plans in place with respect to end to end product offerings and the whole thing presently just feels like a huge public beta test.
    07-06-16 11:58 AM
71 123