At least Heins had a vision.
    What vision did TH have?
    He was just trying to execute Mike's vision.
    web99 likes this.
    03-18-16 08:45 PM
    How about Stephen Elop? Has deep mobile business experience and is a Canadian. He'll turn the ship.
    Stephen Elop's business experience is as deep as a packet of ketchup from KFC
    zephyr613 likes this.
    03-18-16 10:20 PM
    I am not a fan of Mr. Chen. Or at the very least as someone who has undertaken large turn arounds and restructurings, I fail to fully understand his strategy. However, I do not believe the founders, as innovative and visionary as they were, are the solution for BB and the challenges currently faced.
    03-18-16 10:49 PM
    I am not a fan of Mr. Chen. Or at the very least as someone who has undertaken large turn arounds and restructurings, I fail to fully understand his strategy. However, I do not believe the founders, as innovative and visionary as they were, are the solution for BB and the challenges currently faced.
    What don't you understand?
    03-18-16 10:51 PM
    What don't you understand?
    Too numerous to list. Moreover, despite my own extensive experience, without detailed information, it would ultimately be speculation. Albeit speculation from experience, but speculation nonetheless. And there are better things to spend my time on.
    03-18-16 10:58 PM
    Mike is out campaigning against the Trans Pacific Trade agreement. He says it locks in the big teck players so they will always rule the industry.
    He made a so true comment about Canada and Canadians inventing many many essential tools yet never seem able to capitalize (monetize) them.
    The Americans are masters at this. As an example he mentioned how the ebola Vacine was recently developed in Winnipeg then given away to pharma for free.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-16 11:12 PM
    He made a so true comment about Canada and Canadians inventing many many essential tools yet never seem able to capitalize (monetize) them.
    The Americans are masters at this. As an example he mentioned how the ebola Vacine was recently developed in Winnipeg then given away to pharma for free.

Posted via CB10
    Because it would be a great thing to profit from ebola. /sarcasm

On the main point, Mike and Jim built a fortune from one good idea -- a mobile push email system. If they had a similarly innovative new vision for the company, it would be a great idea to have them back, but I haven't heard anything suggesting that they do. John Chen seems to be attempting to repeat his success at Sybase (which Wikipedia describes as "an enterprise software and services company.") What's so new or innovative about that approach? If Chen can't turn BlackBerry into the kind of company he already knows, he's going to drive it into the ground. The former core business is almost gone.
    Eumaeus and PantherBlitz like this.
    03-19-16 12:47 AM
    Though Jim Balsillie's idea of moving more into services such as using BBM as sms 2.0 was pretty visionary. After reading Losing the Signal I am convinced he has a great business mind and less pride than Lazaridis. Alas he did not have the power to call the shots. I think Balsillie as a visionary and Chen as an operator wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    idssteve and PantherBlitz like this.
    03-19-16 01:11 AM
    Why bring back the guys that did the holes in the boat? Heins and Chen were just trying to fill the holes to prevent the boat to sin...
    03-19-16 10:44 AM
    Hey, he gave us the Z10, Q10 and Passport! And real commitment with Updates to BB10!
    Chen? Lepiej, classic...no może Updates.....
    Posted via CB10
    Chen gave us the Passport

Posted via CB10
    03-19-16 11:19 AM
    I believe Chen can turn around what is listed as BBRY on Nasdaq and BB.TO on the TSX, in the context of "returning value for shareholders". BlackBerry's security / MDM / handset patents and expertise can be "monetized" to sustain profit.

BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry handsets are irrelevant to the share price in so far as if they don't contribute in a quantifiable way (even if that is "we sell more BES licenses when we can provide an end-to-end solution with proprietary handset hardware and OS") then they keep the handset division as a 'loss leader' which supports ongoing BES sales and licenses.

The ship has sailed on making the handset division profitable in and of itself. As part of the overall BlackBerry product portfolio, it may be strategically important to keep their toes in the handset business... and for the purpose of supplying this end-to-end secure solution, keeping it may support their business better than the shortsighted "kill the handset division" idea.

How many BES licenses would they lose or MDM contracts would they fail to win if they closed the handset division? BlackBerry management can answer that question.

So, BB handsets as a profitable division in-and-of-itself: not profitable at this point, and unlikely to be unless BlackBerry takes a serious look at the way they create and market their handsets.

I still believe with the proper device mix and marketing / distribution BlackBerry 10 handsets could be profitable, but BlackBerry is not executing on any kind of plan that could make BB10 handsets profitable, and undermining the market perception of the technology (and, more disheartingly, the company itself) at every turn.

Time to implement the "Costanza" plan: do the opposite of your first instinct and maybe BB handsets will stand a chance at being sustainable.
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    03-19-16 11:39 AM
    Chen gave us the Passport
    Passport development was mostly done under Thorsten
    Superfly_FR and Q10Bold like this.
    03-19-16 11:48 AM
    But while Jobs was out he grew Pixar from a small business into a multi-billion dollar company, and started a computer company which built the predecessor of Mac OS X and iOS. He brought much of that talent with him when he came back along with a new OS for Apple. He also matured quite a bit in those years.

What have Jim and Mike been up to lately?
    +1000

Posted via CB10
    03-19-16 12:13 PM
    Mike and Jim have lost their passion in running RIM thats the main reason blackberry is where it's at today.
    Chen I believed is actually doing a good job keeping this company afloat.
    03-19-16 01:52 PM
    Chen has a mission and a limited time frame (whatever the success is).
    He won't stick to the chair forever and I'd guess once the "exciting challenge" - that made him leave his planned retreat - is finished he will enjoy his comfortable life playing golf or the likes.

So while I cannot figure how Jim & Mike (especially both !) could make a come-back, there's some genuine question wondering what will be the after-Chen era. Before he came I believe there was a "built by BlackBerry career" promotion scheme. Let's pretend it lasts, what current board or C-Level would be #1 ? Ron ?
    03-19-16 01:54 PM
    What are your thoughts on this?
    No disrespect but.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! No.
    03-19-16 01:56 PM
    With all that's going on with BlackBerry and how do you all feel about the founding fathers coming back to run the company. I'm sure they have had a different outlook on things looking in from the outside. I'm feel they should (at least one of them) come back and Chen should leave.

What are your thoughts on this?

TMO  Z10,STL100-3/10.3.2.2789
    You mean the guy who was too busy trying to buy an NHL franchise rather than keeping an eye on competition? No thanks.

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2876 / Telus
    03-19-16 01:59 PM
    Too numerous to list. Moreover, despite my own extensive experience, without detailed information, it would ultimately be speculation. Albeit speculation from experience, but speculation nonetheless. And there are better things to spend my time on.
    Saying, "I fail to fully understand his vision" and then lobbing out "too numerous to list" when asked what you don't understand is a total cop-out. No one's asking you for the complete list, but if the items you don't understand are "numerous" then you should be able to at least list 3-4 of the most prominent ones pretty quickly.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    03-19-16 02:31 PM
    Saying, "I fail to fully understand his vision" and then lobbing out "too numerous to list" when asked what you don't understand is a total cop-out. No one's asking you for the complete list, but if the items you don't understand are "numerous" then you should be able to at least list 3-4 of the most prominent ones pretty quickly.
    Yeah, I just cut bait on that one.
    03-19-16 02:55 PM
    I think I should run BlackBerry Js

Posted via CB10
    03-19-16 03:03 PM
    You mean the guy who was too busy trying to buy an NHL franchise rather than keeping an eye on competition? No thanks.

To be fair, if they did buy that team than they would have an income and a source of Advertisements, I think it was a smart idea!

Posted via CB10
    03-19-16 03:12 PM
    To be fair, if they did buy that team than they would have an income and a source of Advertisements, I think it was a smart idea!

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry sponsored Raptors/Maple Leafs. Cheaper than buying a sports team, and didn't help with turning the ship around.

Not sure exactly what an Hamilton (or whatever 905 cities he had in mind) based NHL team would have done for BlackBerry

Attached Thumbnails Time to bring back Mike & Jim?-g1328758009264667035.jpg  
    Ronindan and Dirtymike14 like this.
    03-19-16 03:19 PM
    I say lets make thurask the new ceo,
    Make BlackBerry Great Again
    03-19-16 07:05 PM
    OP you must really really hate BlackBerry.

*ME173X
    03-19-16 08:42 PM
    OP you must really really hate BlackBerry.

*ME173X
    Nope. Just some of the things that Chen is doing.

TMO  Z10,STL100-3/10.3.2.2789
    03-20-16 03:20 AM
105 12345