You don’t need a new OS just to have a new app store with your preferred policies
    To be fair, if you're using iOS, you do.
    01-11-21 01:25 AM
    To be fair, if you're using iOS, you do.
    True.

I should have said that differently. The world doesn’t need a new mobile OS in order to have a new app store
    01-11-21 06:24 AM
    These companies went from competing to working in unison that is the definition of a monopoly, it also violates the Anti Trust laws. As for the Government being a Monopoly, that is more of a grey area. They provide services not allowed by the private sector and are supposed to work for the common good. Its time to do the Tech companies that was done to AT&T Smash them up, they operate as a Bell System and scream they are not, they say they have no responsibility but complain when others do the same thing.
    bh7171 likes this.
    01-11-21 10:04 AM
    These companies went from competing to working in unison that is the definition of a monopoly, it also violates the Anti Trust laws. As for the Government being a Monopoly, that is more of a grey area. They provide services not allowed by the private sector and are supposed to work for the common good. Its time to do the Tech companies that was done to AT&T Smash them up, they operate as a Bell System and scream they are not, they say they have no responsibility but complain when others do the same thing.
    How are Apple and Google working in unison? They are mortal enemies.

Both app stores are equally vulnerable to being held liable for hosting apps that incite violence however. If there was a third (well there kinda is, Amazon), forth, or fifth platform and accompanying app store, they would be subject to the same.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-11-21 10:23 AM
    There is an old saying, when the lights go out they are all in bed together......They are far from enemies and move as a unit quite frequently.
    01-11-21 10:27 AM
    There is an old saying, when the lights go out they are all in bed together......They are far from enemies and move as a unit quite frequently.
    Laws are laws. It doesn't matter how many huge app stores you have.

You think adding another one will change that?
    01-11-21 10:37 AM
    Not This again SMH

Think not
    brookie229 and John Albert like this.
    01-11-21 12:00 PM
    Laws are laws. It doesn't matter how many huge app stores you have.

You think adding another one will change that?
    And private companies are private companies. If you break their terms of service or do something they don't like, you may not be allow their service. Be that wearing a mask into Walmart, carrying your conceal 38 into the Magic Kingdom, or using some Social Media App.

Of course as a public company, you make that decision you have to live with it.... like losing $5 Billion in market value. Let's face it, for nothing else Trump was a source of entertainment and a topic of conversations.
    01-11-21 01:15 PM
    I found this article interesting from a year ago

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevede...h=16f82cbb785a

As independent business owner, I’m definitely in huge agreement with this exact statement as-is...
    I am a business owner my self too. With 32 employees.
    That doesn't mean I am blind and that I can't see that there is no equality of opportunity. On the contrary. I can also see and acknowledge the importance of the equality of the outcome in tragic times like the ones we are experiencing today.
    It is the same neighbourhoods with the lowest education rates that suffer the most casualties. Where is the equality in opportunity?
    Last time we had this little chat I received the answer about donation. Yeah right, don't forget to donate. And then you can drop happily your blue pill.
    01-11-21 01:48 PM
    exactly!!!
    01-11-21 01:52 PM
    I am a business owner my self too. With 32 employees.
    That doesn't mean I am blind and that I can't see that there is no equality of opportunity. On the contrary. I can also see and acknowledge the importance of the equality of the outcome in tragic times like the ones we are experiencing today.
    It is the same neighbourhoods with the lowest education rates that suffer the most casualties. Where is the equality in opportunity?
    Last time we had this little chat I received the answer about donation. Yeah right, don't forget to donate. And then you can drop happily your blue pill.
    I didn't say equality of opportunity is easy. It's actually very, very hard - and we haven't even figured it out yet. But that should be the GOAL. It also doesn't mean we ignore our fellow humans in need until we do.
    01-11-21 02:05 PM
    I still don't get how OS10 would be the solution to all this . . .
    01-11-21 02:18 PM
    I still don't get how OS10 would be the solution to all this . . .
    It isn't. There is nothing BB10 can bring to the table in this context.
    John Albert likes this.
    01-11-21 02:19 PM
    Need to wait till Russia's new revised Sailfish hit's the market with it's own ecosystem. Or China's Harmony OS takes over the world with it's own ecosystem. (well both seem to be hitchhiking on Android for now for apps).

Anyway these to bastion of freedom and rights will set matter straight.
    01-11-21 02:38 PM
    Perhaps a resurgence is the use of Snapdragon S4 and maybe a few 801 chips.

Didn't Qualcomm list censorship fighting as one of their features? Or did I mis-read that?
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-11-21 02:45 PM
    Perhaps a resurgence is the use of Snapdragon S4 and maybe a few 801 chips.

Didn't Qualcomm list censorship fighting as one of their features? Or did I mis-read that?
    It's right there on their die next to the MMU. It's called the CMU, Censorship Management Unit.
    chain13 likes this.
    01-11-21 05:26 PM
    Need to wait till Russia's new revised Sailfish hit's the market with it's own ecosystem. Or China's Harmony OS takes over the world with it's own ecosystem. (well both seem to be hitchhiking on Android for now for apps).

Anyway these to bastion of freedom and rights will set matter straight.
    Attached Thumbnails Mobile Devices Then vs Now; Cameras, etc.  ( Formerly "Time for BlackBerry to re-release OS 10")-th.gif  
    01-11-21 05:33 PM
    There's also the quote that says If the whole world seems against you, maybe you're the problem. (Cleaned the quote up a little bit, but the meaning I'd the same).
    app_Developer and chain13 like this.
    01-13-21 08:21 PM
    Unless being wrong is standing for the Bill of Rights and alike, than count me wrong.
    RWIndiana likes this.
    01-15-21 05:13 PM

Many of us hold Google and Apple stock in our portfolios, and demand that they make as much money as possible, so we in turn can earn returns on OUR investments.

In general, I'm quite accepting of duopolies that fight neck and neck with each other. Monopolies (of which government is an example) is where I start getting grumpy.
    Your personal investment aren't a really good point in this case )) but certainly good for you.
    And I wonder if you arguing for duapolies being good is influenced by your investment portfolio,(the less competition the better for you personally)
    This entire industry was built on Having more then two platforms dictate where things move. The more competition the better.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-21 08:03 PM
    Your personal investment aren't a really good point in this case )) but certainly good for you.
    And I wonder if you arguing for duapolies being good is influenced by your investment portfolio,(the less competition the better for you personally)
    This entire industry was built on Having more then two platforms dictate where things move. The more competition the better.

Posted via CB10
    All of our investments depend on the profitability of publicly traded companies. My portfolio is no different.

There are a number of industries where only 2 or 3 companies have the financial wherewithal to play. If anything, the trend of huge corporate mergers confirm this.

Coke / Pepsi, Apple / Microsoft (desktop OS), Apple / Google (mobile OS), Apple / Samsung (mobile hardware), Airbus / Boeing, Visa / Mastercard, etc.
    01-24-21 08:09 PM
    "Duopoly" is a very dominant feature throughout the universe. +/- electrical forces, N/S magnetic forces (fluxing at perpendicular angles to electrical, interestingly lol).
    How do you equate elemental forces in nature to a human construct like a mobile software market? )) got nothing to do with each other. But going with your examples in nature, as irrelevent as the comparisons may be, humans as the pinacle of creation and ultimately in the image of God have come to be through thousands(as per the Bible, not millions) of years of rich biodiversity. Lol

Posted via CB10
    01-24-21 08:12 PM
    All of our investments depend on the profitability of publicly traded companies. My portfolio is no different.

There are a number of industries where only 2 or 3 companies have the financial wherewithal to play. If anything, the trend of huge corporate mergers confirm this.
    Whats your point though? That they are good for your portfolio!? Doesn't really matter on fórum now does it? If I want investment advice be Sure to look you up but as far as what's good for most of the people is more then 2 paltforms to choose from. Puting aside your investments i'm Sure we can agree on that no?

Well, if I don't buy food there won't be any more generations.
    Just a Quick Edit i had to address this one because it reads so out of touch. If you can't buy food?! You know you can grow it right? Comes out of the ground before it hits the shelves of a store, people have been doing it for millenia
    Posted via CB10
    01-24-21 08:17 PM
    Whats your point though? That they are good for your portfolio!? Doesn't really matter on fórum now does it? If I want investment advice be Sure to look you up but as far as what's good for most of the people is more then 2 paltforms to choose from. Puting aside your investments i'm Sure we can agree on that no?

Posted via CB10
    In mobile, it was the developers who didn't want a third platform. If you can reach 99.99% of the market with only 2 apps, why would you want it any other way?

Microsoft spent $billions trying to buy apps, but they wouldn't come. BlackBerry had far less resources, and tried the same kind of thing, and they didn't get the apps either.

Also, Apple and Google spends many $billions a year on OS development. Who else could afford that?

You're welcome to try yourself, but comparatively, it'll suck. Let's be honest.
    chain13 likes this.
    01-24-21 08:25 PM

You're welcome to try yourself, but comparatively, it'll suck. Let's be honest.
    Most certainly would, cant even write a single line of code )) but your pont of View is so weird, you're looking at it as if you were inside these companies. Do you work for these companies? I can't imagine a mear consumer would have these views on competition in the market. Or are you Just playing devils advocate )

Posted via CB10
    01-24-21 08:39 PM
195 1234 ...