That is already true with my storm 2 and incredible....in general the battery life is the same.
    Yeah I have said a few times that a lot of people attribute a BB's battery life to their push tech. I tend to think it is low res screens, low ghz cpu's, low ram, etc. So as RIM reaches hardware parity with other manufacturers it will be interesting if thru investment push technology bits more battery life or not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-09-11 07:18 PM
    Texas Instruments talks about its OMAP 5 processor - News - Know Your Mobile

Texas Instruments talks about its OMAP 5 processor
    Richard Goodwin

Know Your Mobile spoke to Texas Instruments about its dual-core A15 Cortex-M4 OMAP 5 processors, which are set to hit the market in early 2013

Published on Jul 3, 2012

Qualcomm�s S4 Snapdragon has been leading the pack, along with Samsung�s recently released Exynos 4 Quad chipset, for the most part of 2012, bringing unparalleled performance to mobile devices.

In light of this, we thought it high time to speak with Texas Instruments about what it has in store for mobile users with its OMAP 5 processor.

Texas Instruments told Know Your Mobile that the first batch of TI OMAP 5 processors should be hitting the market in early-2013. Exact release dates, according to Texas Instruments, will depend on manufacturers but the chips will be ready to go in the first quarter of next year.

�The OMAP 5 foundation consists of two ARM Cortex-A15 processors,� says TI, �two ARM Cortex-M4 processors and various accelerators/engines that enable the very best performance at mobile-friendly power levels.�

ARM Cortex A9 chips are currently the de facto choice of many chipmakers, including current market-leaders Qualcomm and Samsung. However the advent of A15 Cortex chipsets, which we should see in late-2012, will make laptop-like performance on mobile phones and tablets a very real possibility.

How much faster will A15 be compared to current A9 standards?
    �If we go after DMIPS/Mhz, which might not be the best representation of performance,� reports Android Authority, �then Cortex A9 has 2.5 DMIPS/Mhz, while Cortex A15 has 3.5 DMIPS/Mhz, and some manufacturers are even promising 4.0 DMIPS/Mhz. So, the performance per clock compared to Cortex A9 should be 40%-60% higher, all things being equal.�

Texas Instruments told Know Your Mobile that �brute force � having more cores at your disposal � does not rival sophistication.� The company even posted two videos to prove its claims, showing its OMAP 5 processor performing 12 per cent better at rendering graphics than a current top-flight tablet.

So what kind of performance can we expect from devices carrying the TI OMAP 5 processor?
    �The OMAP 5 platform,� says Texas Instruments, �provides amazing graphics performance for fluid high-resolution UI and cool games, secure buffer-protected video streaming, 1080p-60 video playback, lightning-fast web page loads and much more, all while loading graphically-rich web pages, playing an MP3 and downloading a 500MB video file.�

Qualcomm is expected to unveil an update to its S4 Snapdragon towards the end of the year and Apple will not doubt introduce a new A6 CPU for use inside its iPhone 5. On-die LTE functionality is expected to be a big feature moving forward, with Qualcomm�s S4 setting something of a precedent this year, and we�re looking forward to seeing what Samsung�s Exynos 5 is capable of later on in the year as well.

Late-2012 through to early-2013 is going to be a very busy period for the mobile space, and not just for new handsets. Chipsets will also feature more prominently as well. The era of PC-like processing on a mobile device is drawing ever closer."

Stand Up
    07-04-12 08:50 AM
    Oh, You Thought 1 GHZ, Dual-Core CPUs Were Fast? Meet Texas Instruments’ OMAP 5: 2 Ghz, Quad-Core

seems like a good fit for the QNX BB phones.. 3x the power of OMAP4 (the playbook cpu) and 60% less power use? sweet
    I remember a demo video at MWC 2012 . During the demo, the T.I guy named the teams working "actively" on this project: RIM was ...

EDITED : look at the video here http://fineoils.blogspot.fr/2012/03/...mo-at-mwc.html @ 04:14 :"Modern QNX" ... and the article.
    I also expected that RIM's Playbook 2 will be running on this magnificent piece of hardware, and lo and behold, QNX and RIM were mentioned in the presenter's speech. However, it was pronounced in the same breath with Google's Android though, but that's a grim truth of the life: to show powers of a new TI OMAP5 chip TI engineers must use some customized Android of some ICS beta extraction, or something else ICS-themed. Otherwise, with QNX put on this development mini-tablet nobody except RIM would understand what's going on.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-04-12 at 11:04 AM.
    drjay868 likes this.
    07-04-12 10:45 AM
    Why would they be waiting to put bigger, more powerful chipsets in their handsets than on the PB?
    Because they get a lot more money for it?

RIM gets $200 -retail margin for Playbooks. Phone carriers pay Android manufacturers and Apple 500-650/phone.
    07-04-12 11:27 AM
    Man I was reading earlier responses thinking this was a new thread...and I saw what some of the veterans in here were saying and thought they had lost their minds with some of the stuff they were saying...until I looked at the dates of those posts lol.

I truly, truly hope they use these chips in the first BB10 devices. Laptop performance, coupled with QNX does sound amazing imo. Could be this "future of mobile computing" RIM keeps talking about...
    07-04-12 11:48 AM
    This old argument is just that, OLD. Not to mention null & void. RIM has put a top of the line processor in the PlayBook. No tab to date, whether out for release or currently in Dev has a better processor. The PlayBook excels spec wise over most tabs out there, Xoom included. The 2011 HH lineup uses top echelon processors & other hardware.
    RIM's past history is this: acquired QNX, acquired major assets w/DataViz, acquired TAT. It's obvious that RIM has turned the corner and the same old adage about them just doesn't hold much water anymore.
    I can put a v12 engine in a 67 Volkswagen but it's still a Volkswagen.
    07-04-12 01:00 PM
    I can put a v12 engine in a 67 Volkswagen but it's still a Volkswagen.
    Google " VW Golf GTI W12 "
    07-04-12 01:20 PM
    Fun reading comments from 1.5 years ago.
    07-04-12 02:59 PM
    Google " VW Golf GTI W12 "
    67 Volkswagen
    07-04-12 03:02 PM
    If we are all hoping they use this chip , I hope they have already been implementing it. Otherwise their would be more delays. Is it even out for sampling?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    07-04-12 03:09 PM
    I also recall seeing a video of TI showing this chip and the guy mentioned working with RIM.

Maybe this was one of several factors when deciding to launch BB10 in Q1 2013...this thread mentioned this chip will be available early 2013
    07-04-12 06:53 PM
    I think most are setting themselves up for a disappointment.

If a BB10 device ever sees the light of day, at the time of release you can bet whatever chip they use - it will already be in another device. I doubt this specific chip is what will be used anyway.
    07-04-12 07:01 PM
    Fun reading comments from 1.5 years ago.
    Yet we still don't know for sure what will be both PB LTE and (L/N) BB10 phones. More likely, a Qualcomm ... but no technical sheets until now

davecbb8330 : LOL, just put this W12 engine in, full throttle ... and you'll have two VW67 ... halfs !
    07-05-12 02:49 AM
    I remember a demo video at MWC 2012 . During the demo, the T.I guy named the teams working "actively" on this project: RIM was ...

EDITED : look at the video here Fine Oils: TI OMAP5430 Demo at MWC @ 04:14 :"Modern QNX" ... and the article.
    Thanks for quoting a "French" version of my blog which otherwise is accessible via Fine Oils. Everyone who cares about QNX and Playbook 2 is welcome.
    07-05-12 12:29 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD