HTC Thunderbolt/Mecha 4G Testing Starts This Week at Verizon | GizmoFusion

So I'm wondering with all the CB stormchaser out there, how many are still gonna hold out for the S3 when this device is sitting on the shelves at Verizon?

I'm going to be hard pressed not to jump on it. My only reason in waiting is because I do want a Playbook and wanna be able to tether my BB to it. Also another reason I've held out is cause of BBM, I have a few groups that allow me to talk with friends in other states and others I don't see that often. That's really whats kept me on my S1 for so long. I don't wanna go back to a physical keyboard either and my S1 is on it's last limb. I'm doing battery pulls almost every other day.
    So to have a 4G phone with ALMOST everything I want on it available to me maybe next month may just make me give up on holding out on RIM for the infamous S3 that we know nothing concrete about.
    What's everyones thoughts?
    12-27-10 02:24 PM
    If it's dual core I might just have to jump on it. I'm holding out for dual core and LTE compatibility. That's why I still have my Storm after being able to upgrade since October.
    12-27-10 02:44 PM
    I think I'm gonna wait for whatever RIM throws at me next.

As some people have been posting on other threads, it all has to do with what's popular where you live... I have to say, Droid phones are really cool, and probably outperform BBs spec wise, but at my high school about 60% of the school (and most of my friend group) have Blackberrys, so I LIVE on BBM (also if they don't have a BB, its usually an iPhone, not a droid... there are very few Droid users at my school for some reason).

So I'm sticking with RIM on this one, unless Droid somehow gets BBM abilities lol.
    12-27-10 04:49 PM
    Keep in mind that HTC devices haven't been historically the strongest ever with regard to long battery life.

Still, I don't think we'll see the S3 out until sometime after Playbook. It will be very interesting to see if the S3 is going to be aimed at bringing the technology battle to Android and Apple or if they're going to rely on the Playbook for their high tech stuff and making the S3 "more of the same old BB" they've been making...
    12-27-10 04:53 PM
    Keep in mind that HTC devices haven't been historically the strongest ever with regard to long battery life.

Still, I don't think we'll see the S3 out until sometime after Playbook. It will be very interesting to see if the S3 is going to be aimed at bringing the technology battle to Android and Apple or if they're going to rely on the Playbook for their high tech stuff and making the S3 "more of the same old BB" they've been making...
    I hope RIM doesn't try to do that (rely on the PB), because there will be sooooo many tablets brought the market, and with the iPad already being so 'famous' (and iPad 2 coming soon) I just don't think RIM can just rely on the PB. I personally don't think the Galaxy tab holds a finger to the ipad (in sales and just playing around with the device itself).
    12-27-10 05:05 PM

The S3 better be aimed at bringing the battle to the iPhone and Droids otherwise, for those who wait on the S3 are gonna be really pissed when it comes out as a very weak device not able to compete once again.
    12-27-10 05:35 PM
    CX says it will be at par with apple or android don't know if its the storm3 but something will be
    12-27-10 06:37 PM
    The S3 better be aimed at bringing the battle to the iPhone and Droids otherwise, for those who wait on the S3 are gonna be really pissed when it comes out as a very weak device not able to compete once again.
    Dawg.........honestly no one could blame u if u decided to leave for this HTC device. RIM gave u nothin comparable to the competition to upgrade to (at least on verizon.....depending on how u look at it), this device can possibly give u speeds 5 times (or more) faster than what your Storm could ever do.

Some people simply can't wait unti mid 2011 for a new phone when they've already had theirs for 2 years so like a said.....i wouldn't blame u man lol
    12-27-10 07:41 PM
    CX says it will be at par with apple or android don't know if its the storm3 but something will be
    I remember hearing that back in 08 before the launch of the 9530/9500.

It will be interesting to see how it matches up, considering the bar the iPhone and top tier Android devices have set, and we already know the new standard is going to be Dual Core, with Retina Displays, Super LCD displays, or Super AMOLED, with DLNA (aka Airplay for Apple users) or HDMI with front facing cameras.

We'll have to see just exactly how well RIMs new device is spec and software wise.
    12-27-10 08:46 PM
    I can confirm this on the Mecha. The Merge is also still out there.

I just don't see RIM having anything comparable. You have to look at QNX as a total re boot, so S3, or whatever will be Gen 1. I'd personally rather be on 2.3 or however you want to look at Gingerbread or Froyo.
    12-27-10 10:03 PM
    I can confirm this on the Mecha. The Merge is also still out there.

I just don't see RIM having anything comparable. You have to look at QNX as a total re boot, so S3, or whatever will be Gen 1. I'd personally rather be on 2.3 or however you want to look at Gingerbread or Froyo.
    I can't wait for that. We'll get to see the same folks on here who gripe about how new Android is and how they're "only" up to 2.2 (or 2.3 soon) turn it around and praise BB for the new QNX which will be more immature than Android at that point.

There might be some growing pains with it. Being an early adopter on this one could have potential to be frustrating.

Hopefully they retain the ability to use any carrier's OS on QNX based devices too... Could be frustrating without that.
    12-27-10 11:34 PM
    I got a 9780 to hold me over until the S3 comes out.
    I'm having fun with the candybar form factor. although I'm sure I'll be ready for a big screen again in a few months.
    12-27-10 11:35 PM
    Wasn't the S3 dropped by verizon. So it wont be coming on Verizon who knows about any other character.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-10 12:55 AM
    Wasn't the S3 dropped by verizon. So it wont be coming on Verizon who knows about any other character.

The thing you're talking about would have been what some folks here would call the "Storm 2.5." Just a basic refresh with a hair more memory. Not what folks mean when they say "Storm 3".

The Storm 3 people are talking about here will theoretically run the new QNX OS and be a significant improvement in the hardware. It may be called something else but for the sake of discussion most just stick with Storm 3.
    12-28-10 01:08 AM
    I'm gonna hold my storm 2 9550 until the storm 3 comes out (I have no issues). But if there is no "surepress" I will keep my storm for bbm and switch to the best android available.

The playbook might satisfy my desire for some of the cool features on Iphones and andriods. If The Playbook is really good I simply won't care about the Storm 3.
    12-28-10 09:37 AM
    I'm waiting for either the Thunderbolt or the Iphone 4 if it's LTE. The only way I would change my mind is if RIM released some official specs for the Storm 3 and a release date.
    12-28-10 03:55 PM
    even though the new HTC device might not have dual core and some other of the newest hardware out there, i really like sense and my incredible. i dont think HTC will have dual core til mid year. So i do eagerly wait to see the 'thunderbolt' and it will be something i seriously consider too
    12-28-10 05:30 PM
    Here's to hoping it has more than 4 hours of battery life. Hopefully HTC implemented some battery management options like newer Moto devices have. It helps a lot.
    12-28-10 05:41 PM
    12-28-10 06:23 PM
    Here's to hoping it has more than 4 hours of battery life. Hopefully HTC implemented some battery management options like newer Moto devices have. It helps a lot.
    What options are on the X to help with the battery life? One concern I have about jumping ship?
    12-28-10 06:38 PM
    What options are on the X to help with the battery life? One concern I have about jumping ship?
    Motorola has a built in battery management system. You can customize how and when your device uses data. I keep mine on performance mode (everything running at full blast) and my battery life is still great. Right now I am running a custom ROM and these options are not available (because the ROM is AOSP) and battery life still isn't a problem. Moto devices and the Dell Streak have the best battery life out of all Android devices though.
    12-28-10 06:44 PM
    Bolt seems like bolt browser (if android has java, it'll do well on the htc touch diamond)

12-28-10 06:57 PM
    Motorola has a built in battery management system. You can customize how and when your device uses data. I keep mine on performance mode (everything running at full blast) and my battery life is still great. Right now I am running a custom ROM and these options are not available (because the ROM is AOSP) and battery life still isn't a problem. Moto devices and the Dell Streak have the best battery life out of all Android devices though.
    I just hope the LTE moto's keep the good bat life!
    12-28-10 07:47 PM
    I just hope the LTE moto's keep the good bat life!
    Going by previous devices, I would hope so as well.
    12-28-10 08:29 PM
    From the same gizmofusion site as the original post some more info on S3?

h**p://gizmofusion.com/2010/12/how-about-some-new-storm3-news/#more-11076

And a picture (not sure if it's new)
    12-29-10 04:37 AM
99 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD