I am a verizon user and wanted to know people's opinions on which phone will be a better choice counting on the fact the thunder is 3g or 4g.

thanks
    08-01-08 10:23 AM
    Welcome to CB. The BB will be the better choice.
    08-01-08 10:26 AM
    is the bold going to have the same features as the thunder/storm/hurricane/tsunami/cyclone?
    08-01-08 10:52 AM
    The real answer is no one really knows until the 9500 comes out.

The thing that's making the iPhone so successful right now is everything that it does, it excels at.

Email... Better than the Blackberries IMO. A lot will say you can't have push without MobileMe ($99/yr.) This is untrue. You can setup a Yahoo account if you don't already have one. Have all you mail forwarded to this account and you will then know know when you have email.

Media... If media is your thing, then of course hands down at this current point in time, Apple leads this.

Apps... There are tons of apps created and being created (lots free) for the iPhone as developers see so much potential with the iPhone.

Memory... This is 16gb for App/Media. On the Bold, it's 1GB, who knows what the 9500 will bring, besides memory leaks. RIM's remedy for the leaks is to increase the memory.

If you are willing to add MobileMe, the experience only gets better. I have it and I am willing to pay $99/yr. I got it for about $35 in June though
    08-01-08 11:33 AM

The user may need some reasons...
    08-01-08 11:34 AM
    The thing that's making the iPhone so successful right now is everything that it does, it excels at.

Email... Better than the Blackberries IMO. A lot will say you can't have push without MobileMe ($99/yr.) This is untrue. You can setup a Yahoo account if you don't already have one. Have all you mail forwarded to this account and you will then know know when you have email.
    What are you smoking ?

Using Blackberries with a BES allows near perfect synchronization of contact lists and calendars, irrespective of the unbeatable email...

As for the email; The BB allows a single mailbox for multiple email addresses (but does not require it) and it has a seperate keyboard allowing for emails to be written in the natural format that you are reading them without using most of the screen for the keyboard. Although the screen is smaller than the iPhone, the resolution is the same, meaning that a smaller font is usually perfectly readable (I am fond of 6pt) and avoiding the need or desire to switch between portrait and landscape format.

Oh, and Yahoo Mail (or GMail) using POP is pull email, not push. The pull is usually set to every 15 minutes or so, I think, but it may be possible to adjust this interval. Either way, it is a fundamentally different technology than true push email and, unless the polling interval is a minute or less, there is a distinct delay in comparison.

I'm not knocking the iPhone... way the best browser and the app store has huge potential (so long as it avoids being swamped with low quality, cheap crap or acceptable quality, expensive crud). However, don't pretend that the iPhone is perfect in every way... it very obviously is not. Personally, I think Apple made a huge mistake releasing the iPhone 1.1 rather than the iPhone 2 this year. Apart from the support for 3G, there is really very little improvement over the original. Even the price cut is swamped by the extra monthly cost. True GPS rather than aGPS is an iterative improvement (nearest few yards rather than nearest block) and 'fixing' the headphone socket is almost too derisory to make it onto most people's improvement lists.

Until the Thunder/Storm is released we will not know in what ways it is better or worse than the iPhone.
    08-01-08 01:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD