Maybe it was just a matter of going to the wrong cop. I don't know. I'm not a cop hater at all. I think they do a great job. I'm just telling you what my experience with this was.

If the OP takes these texts to the police, I'd be interested to hear how they handle it. Please post back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

I don't believe you're a cop hater, I believe you had a lazy cop.
    02-01-11 01:39 PM
    Does your daughter know who it is?
    How did the perp get the #?
    are the threats directed at her?
    Are they mistexts?

No, but we are working on it. That is one reason I posted this.

I suspect that it is someone she knows or a friend of a friend.

Yes, as in: kick your a$$ the next time I see you...

Are they mistexts?

No, there are multiple texts, her name is mentioned, it is obvious they are meant for her.
    02-01-11 01:55 PM
    ok stop it seriously. you're like that rude person in every movie who's just like 'sorry but your wrong'. that was what happened in FL. where they live is far away from you, and they probably have different strategies of police work.
    02-01-11 02:05 PM
    Maybe it was just a matter of going to the wrong cop...
    That's likely the case. Police forces are comprised of people. People can be lazy, or make mistakes. I'm sure the hiring process doesn't/can't screen out all the bad ones, and even the good ones can make mistakes.

It's just unfortunate that you didn't know enough at the time to insist on getting a proper investigation. I'm sure a brief chat with the supervisor would have cleared things up.
    02-01-11 02:07 PM

No, but we are working on it. That is one reason I posted this.

I suspect that it is someone she knows or a friend of a friend.

Yes, as in: kick your a$$ the next time I see you...

Are they mistexts?

No, there are multiple texts, her name is mentioned, it is obvious they are meant for her.
    I hope you get this sh!t straightened out.... good luck
    02-01-11 02:59 PM
    ok stop it seriously. you're like that rude person in every movie who's just like 'sorry but your wrong'. that was what happened in FL. where they live is far away from you, and they probably have different strategies of police work.
    I'm not sure exactly who that is directed to but you are way out of line.
    02-01-11 03:04 PM
    It was at me I'm pretty sure. I'm in Florida.

02-01-11 03:12 PM
    I believe this is aimed at Chrisy. But whoever it is aimed at is a moot point, you are WAY out of line. People should be allowed to explain their experiences, and each time she responded she elaborated on it. She shouldn't have to be subjected to people telling her to shut up. Welcome to the world of open forums mate. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and open forums such as this are a great place to express your feelings. They shouldn't be subjected to being calling something like a troll.
    02-01-11 03:13 PM
    I did get emotional in my replies. I'm sorry for that. It just triggered an unpleasant memory and I offered the app I use and my experience.

Thanks for the ones who were patient with me and not mean Appreciate that.

02-01-11 03:21 PM
    I believe this is aimed at Chrisy. But whoever it is aimed at is a moot point, you are WAY out of line. People should be allowed to explain their experiences, and each time she responded she elaborated on it. She shouldn't have to be subjected to people telling her to shut up. Welcome to the world of open forums mate. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and open forums such as this are a great place to express your feelings. They shouldn't be subjected to being calling something like a troll.

No sir, I am not out of line. If you bothered to read my responses to chrisy, I exaplined that laws and times have changed. At no time did I ever use any harsh tones or responses. Additionally, I failed to read any response where anyone told another person to "shut up" as you stated. And for your information, I am very familiar with the world of open forums. Chrisy is well respected member of this forum and I sympathize with her for what she experienced.

So I guess the purpose of your post was to tell me that in open forums people are allowed to express their opinions without being criticized, yet, when I expressed my opinion about another post, YOU criticized me, but still say that open forums are a place to express opinions.

Oh...I'm not your "mate".
    02-01-11 03:35 PM
    I did get emotional in my replies. I'm sorry for that. It just triggered an unpleasant memory and I offered the app I use and my experience.

Thanks for the ones who were patient with me and not mean Appreciate that.

chrisy, why do you keep getting me into trouble?
    02-01-11 03:36 PM
    I would suggest just calling the carrier and getting a phone number. I remember when I had Alltel you were allowed one free one a year and I think Verizon does the same. So I'm sure you can do it for free. That's probably just the best way honestly. If the person in question actually comes up to your daughter I'd be worried. Don't let her go alone and have 911 on a speed dial just for now if you don't exactly know who it is.
    02-01-11 03:48 PM
    That's likely the case. Police forces are comprised of people. People can be lazy, or make mistakes. I'm sure the hiring process doesn't/can't screen out all the bad ones, and even the good ones can make mistakes.

It's just unfortunate that you didn't know enough at the time to insist on getting a proper investigation. I'm sure a brief chat with the supervisor would have cleared things up.
    I know of whole departments who have become lazy and care less what happens. I would get into it, but rather not spread my families history on here...kind of embarrassing and thank god I am only related to him through marriage, but if cops would have done their job, a lot wouldn't have happened how it went down...

No wonder the huge crime rate has escalated to where it is in last few years. Is sad really!

02-01-11 03:54 PM
    chrisy, why do you keep getting me into trouble?
    lol, sorry. In any case, the app I linked to is very good! It's free and has a lot of nice features.

I thought it was strange that the OP posted a # too. But I figured they were just frustrated. Hopefully they're issue will be resolved quickly.

Last edited by chrisy520; 02-01-11 at 04:05 PM.
    02-01-11 03:57 PM
    I know of whole departments who have become lazy and care less what happens. I would get into it, but rather not spread my families history on here...kind of embarrassing and thank god I am only related to him through marriage, but if cops would have done their job, a lot wouldn't have happened how it went down...

No wonder the huge crime rate has escalated to where it is in last few years. Is sad really!

I really never thought about this until today, this thread. Because I didn't let anyone know what happened, except this cop so I figured that's just how it was supposed to be handled.

Good to know we have some cops/ex-cops on here!

02-01-11 03:59 PM
    I don't believe you're a cop hater, I believe you had a lazy cop.
    Maybe not.

Florida didn't pass a cyberbullying/cyberharassment law until 2008.
    02-01-11 04:02 PM
    Really?! That's interesting.

I wasn't being cyber bullied though. It was someone within 50 miles, and was in real life as they say. Though the harassment *was via cell phone except one incident.

02-01-11 04:06 PM
    Really?! That's interesting.

I wasn't being cyber bullied though. It was someone within 50 miles, and was in real life as they say. Though the harassment *was via cell phone except one incident.

I'm not sure how the phone calls to a cell phone would have been handled. It is possible that older laws that were on the books in 2004 were written in such a way that landline harassment may have been included but that the law could have been argued to not apply to wireless communications.

Texts fall under the cyberbullying/cyberharassment blanket, though. I know this because a member of the UF football team was cited for it this past year when he sent a threatening text message to his girlfriend.
    02-01-11 04:12 PM
    you are all tools.....what kind of ***** would post someones phone number here? Who knows if the original poster is telling the truth? posting that number and accusing someone of a crime is bizarre......a lot of whack jobs out there......
    Actually, if I wanted to screw someone over I could find several forums that I could post their phone number and expect that they would get lots of nasty calls.

I did not do that, yet, though.

I posted the number here in the hopes that someone with better connections than I have could possibly come up with at least a last name. I'm sure this person is someone that my daughter knows. In addition to the police, if I had a name I could report it her school and see possible sanctions taken there.

Why shouldn't I post this persons number out to the general public? If you had seen the vile and obscene messages that she received, maybe you would feel differently.

It seems to me that the only tool/whack job is you.
    Last edited by RolanddArgentan; 02-01-11 at 05:59 PM.
    habs_fan and ruger141 like this.
    02-01-11 05:29 PM
    Actually, if I wanted to screw someone over I could find several forums that I could post their phone number and expect that they would get lots of nasty calls.

I did not do that, though.

I posted the number here in the hopes that someone with better connections than I have could possibly come up with at least a last name. I'm sure this person is someone that my daughter knows. In addition to the police, if I had a name I could report it her school and see possible sanctions taken there.

Why shouldn't I post this persons number out to the general public? If you had seen the vile and obscene messages that she received, maybe you would feel differently.

It seems to my that the only tool/whack job is you.
    i agree with you! just looking out for ur family, and young daughter! i would most likely do the same if i was in the same situation
    Last edited by Habs_fan; 02-01-11 at 06:02 PM.
    RolandDargentan likes this.
    02-01-11 05:58 PM
    And since it seems a breech of etiquette to post the number here, if anyone could help, feel free to PM me for it.
    02-01-11 06:03 PM
    Sorry but it is. I got phone calls for a month from a man that threatened to rape me. I had 6 voicemails and about 10 calls a day.

Took them to the police. They gave me a log sheet to track and said that couldn't do any more unless he actually harmed me.

This was in 2004, Charlotte County FL.

Nope it's not. If the person receiving the threats is a minor, then its a whole different ball game, with different rules attached on how to handle the situation.
    02-01-11 06:43 PM
    Reed is right that I can't see the nationality.

I'm in the US. I'm telling you my experience. How many of you had threatening phone calls about being raped and stalked? What was your personal experience when you took your evidence to the police?

This happened to me. The threats were very graphic, close to home and horrifying. I'm telling you what the police did. They were nice. They took the evidence. They took my log sheet and gave me advice and pepper spray.

They said they couldn't do anything...meaning arrest him...unless he physically harmed me. If I saw him I could call them. That's all after the fact though.
    Rizzzooo Florida sure as heck takes sexual abuse towards minors very serious. I don't know if its in law yet but FL has tried to get it past that an adult haveing sex with a minor under the age of 12 yrs old gets life w/ out parole in prison. This offense wouldn't go on without anything being done. If she had made a statement the DA would have taken the the threats and gotten an arrest warrant and presented. The evidence to the grand jury.

This is BS. I'm from FL. Florida takes this stuff very serious. Matter of fact just durning the last football season Chris Rainy was jailed and suspend "conviction" for violent txt messsage. 1 message. If you had reported it something would have been done about it.
    The only way this could happen and nothing was done is if the threats where from a prepaid phone and they couldn't track the person down. In no way would any police dept. None the less FL would let threats like this keep going on.
    Last edited by 13echo4; 02-01-11 at 07:25 PM.
    02-01-11 07:10 PM
    And since it seems a breech of etiquette to post the number here, if anyone could help, feel free to PM me for it.
    Posting a phone number in a public forum is not acceptable. The original post was edited to remove it.

The advise we can agree on is, this is a matter for your local Police. A vigilante mob is not the answer.
    02-01-11 07:57 PM
    I'm pretty sure that "communicating threats" is handled differently from state to state. Some states it's a crime, others wait untill there's a crime scene.

Sorry to hear about your issues, both the OP and chrisy520.
    02-01-11 08:50 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD