Hi guys,

Short question:
    Is there a way to get threaded emails? Like the way sms' are being organized.

regards,
    01-09-10 01:41 PM
    the only thing that can be done is using gmail and the gmail plugin otherwise no
    01-09-10 02:40 PM
    hmmm, where is the hotmail plugin?
    01-10-10 05:36 AM
    i just installed the enhanced gmail plugin,

but the threaded emails only work in a separate inbox: another icon.
    Isnt it possible to get that into the usual Message inbox? Instead of yet another icon to add to my menu....*sigh*
    01-10-10 06:41 AM
    i just installed the enhanced gmail plugin,

but the threaded emails only work in a separate inbox: another icon.
    Isnt it possible to get that into the usual Message inbox? Instead of yet another icon to add to my menu....*sigh*
    I believe the Gmail plugin is the only way to get Gmail grouped into "conversations."
    01-10-10 10:04 AM
    Short question: Is there a way to get threaded emails? Like the way sms' are being organized.
    If RIM screws up email the same way they've screwed up SMS, I guarantee that I will never buy another BlackBerry product again. Period.

RIM's threaded sms is the worst OS code ever put on a cell phone.
    01-10-10 10:53 AM
    If RIM screws up email the same way they've screwed up SMS, I guarantee that I will never buy another BlackBerry product again. Period.

Strongly put, but I have to agree. If they do threaded email, I hope they put in an option to disable it.
    01-10-10 10:56 AM
    Strongly put, but I have to agree. If they do threaded email, I hope they put in an option to disable it.
    SMS was never intended to be an IM app. Someone at RIM got the idea to try turning it into an IM app and they've destroyed the productivity of SMS for those of us who use it for stock alerts and news updates. It is a complete mess now.

It now takes twice as long to process sms messages and it's no fun at all. I literally dread sms messages now and my use of sms has dropped to almost zero because of this problem. I've hardly sent any text messages since getting my 9700 because the new threaded sms interface is so poorly written.

All of this could have been avoided simply by writing code that gives people the option to turn it off. But that's not what was done.

At this point, if my 9700 was lost or stolen, I would not replace it with another BlackBerry device. And in the future, I will not be buying any other BlackBerry devices. If RIM destroys email in the same way they've destroyed sms, I will ditch the 9700 immediately.
    01-10-10 11:05 AM
    SMS was never intended to be an IM app. Someone at RIM got the idea to try turning it into an IM app and they've destroyed the productivity of SMS for those of us who use it for stock alerts and news updates. It is a complete mess now.
    I used to have Google Calendar send all my reminders via SMS. I left them marked unopened as my reminders. I stopped doing that because of threaded SMS--it won't let me separate them. If you do leave one marked unopened, the unopened notification goes away after a device reset.

I used to have Twitter and Facebook updates sent to me via SMS. Now that they're grouped all together, it's impossible to use SMS for those.

Grouping unrelated conversations together is pointless and destroys the usefulness of these messages for me.
    01-10-10 11:23 AM
    wooow, this is a BIG shock to me, seeing all those comments on how threaded sms sux!
    I personally LOVE the fact that sms is threaded, the conversation appearance is so userfriendly and it clears up the inbox: I dont get why you people hate it....please explain.

//genuinely shocked....
    01-10-10 11:33 AM
    I used to have Google Calendar send all my reminders via SMS. I left them marked unopened as my reminders. I stopped doing that because of threaded SMS--it won't let me separate them. If you do leave one marked unopened, the unopened notification goes away after a device reset.

Grouping unrelated conversations together is pointless and destroys the usefulness of these messages for me.
    Ditto. Couldn't agree more. I did the same thing.

This threaded sms is just a nightmare.
    01-10-10 11:38 AM
    I also preferred the classic SMS to the threaded. RIM's threaded SMS was just so messy. I always found it annoying that I had to go inside the conversations to actually delete individual messages where this wasn't the case on the classic SMS.
    Exactly right. And that RIM didn't give us the option to turn it off is just shameful.
    01-10-10 11:39 AM
    I disagree. Threaded SMS is worth $$ to me. Much better than having a bunch of inbox clutter. I like the interface a lot and it makes it easier to have conversations with people.
    01-10-10 11:42 AM
    how threaded sms sux!
    SMS is not an IM app and trying to turn it into an IM app has ruined the user experience as far as I'm concerned.

RIM's threaded sms is a complete mess. Google it. There are tons of people unhappy with this feature and RIM needs to develop an "on-off" feature or they will lose many of us as customers.

I will NEVER buy another RIM product unless this insane threaded sms thing is fixed.
    01-10-10 11:42 AM
    I disagree. Threaded SMS is worth $$ to me. Much better than having a bunch of inbox clutter. I like the interface a lot and it makes it easier to have conversations with people.
    If you want an IM app, there are plenty of those options out there. Many of the rest of us do not want this on our devices. RIM must develop an on-off feature to turn this bad code off.
    01-10-10 11:44 AM

That's because it's not really Threaded SMS code. It's nothing more then a frontend viewer change that basically parses the SMS database and if it finds anything with the same sender header, it groups it together in a thread. Because the BB depends so much on these databases (who's content structure) hasn't changed since they were developed, it has inherent problems. They need to completely rewrite the entire SMS program, but they can't do that without rewriting the entire core structure of what houses all the info on a BB, which are these antiquated databases they designed a long time ago.
    01-10-10 11:45 AM
    wooow, this is a BIG shock to me, seeing all those comments on how threaded sms sux!
    I personally LOVE the fact that sms is threaded, the conversation appearance is so userfriendly and it clears up the inbox: I dont get why you people hate it....please explain.

//genuinely shocked....
    If you read all the responses, you'll get your answer. It's useful for a singe conversation with someone. For those of use who use SMS for other purposes, as explained in this thread, it's no longer possible to use it for those purposes with messages grouped together. Just because they're from the same sender (e.g. Google Calendar) doesn't mean they're the same conversation. They're unrelated messages that are only useful if managed separately.
    01-10-10 11:45 AM
    If you read all the responses, you'll get your answer. It's useful for a singe conversation with someone. For those of use who use SMS for other purposes, as explained in this thread, it's no longer possible to use it for those purposes with messages grouped together. Just because they're from the same sender (e.g. Google Calendar) doesn't mean they're the same conversation. They're unrelated messages that are only useful if managed separately.
    Ding! One of the big things RIM overlooked when they "hacked" Threaded SMS to try and please everyone. You can't just blindly think an SMS coming from the same sender is part of the same conversation. They should at least give us an option to turn Theaded SMS off. I still don't understand why they didn't do that...

Better yet, there should be an option to allow us to set Threaded/non-Threaded SMS as an option "Per User". They can set this as an additional Address Book option for the user (Threaded SMS - Yes/No). Then the SMS app simply reads the user set field in the Address Book in order to decide if it should thread a conversation from a user or not. This would allow you to have certain conversation as threaded, while keeping others non-threaded. Something I'm sure RIM didn't think about.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 01-10-10 at 12:22 PM.
    01-10-10 12:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD