With Android being so costumizable why can't BlackBerry make a "skin " if that's the right term to use
    so it looks, feels and has the same gestures as os10

Posted via CB10
    11-06-16 05:27 PM
    they probably could make something similar but it would add time on to every major release. They already take quite a bit to release MM and N wont be here anytime soon either. It would also cost some more money in developing it to work smoothly and not slow down the experience.

I am actually glad seeing such a minimal approach they have used so far with a fairly stock android. Many people from the android world like it to im sure over the bb10 type approach.
    Last edited by howarmat; 11-06-16 at 06:14 PM.
    Bbnivende and LuvULongTime like this.
    11-06-16 05:35 PM
    The main way that BlackBerry could differentiate their phones is with a full time , BlackBerry designed, PKB and that is not going to happen now.

I prefer the BlackBerry skin to others but that is not really a selling point. Too bad that HTC or LG could not make a BlackBerry variant.
    11-06-16 06:02 PM
    So it can be done??

Posted via CB10
    11-07-16 07:54 PM
    That would move me closer To actually getting a android phone. But if that is possible. Could they integrate the hub into the os? Like bb10. That would be a selling point for BlackBerry phones as the others would just get the app suite.

If they could bring the bb10 experience to Android that would be good. And I don't just mean having the hub and calendar. Etc... I mean swiping,active frames. Swipe from anywhere to the hub.

#luvmybb10os
    11-08-16 11:20 AM
    Cost/benefit; effort now is concentrated on PIM, hardening, strong points. Fluff like skinning OS is a want, not a need.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    11-08-16 11:27 AM
    There are some basic Android UI like the back button that BB won't be able to get rid of in shipping devices because Google has to approve devices that get the Playstore. If BB has excess time they could incorporate a gesture/shortcut mode in settings similar to elements that exist in launchers available from the Playstore.
    11-08-16 12:46 PM
    If you can provide a realistic plan for doing this that will net BB more profits, then maybe it's possible.

Keep in mind that BB is out of the phone-selling business and now only licenses out its name and some of its tech when you are coming up with that plan.

Best of luck with that.
    11-08-16 07:07 PM
    If you can provide a realistic plan for doing this that will net BB more profits, then maybe it's possible.

Keep in mind that BB is out of the phone-selling business and now only licenses out its name and some of its tech when you are coming up with that plan.

Best of luck with that.
    The license is not only a paper. I think there are also some software supports from BlackBerry side. Judging from BBRY device pricing before DTEK, BBRY had been pretty terrible in production costs-control and supply chain. If it was just Steve Jobs without Tim Cook, the iPhone would be dead in 2008 just because of its price.

Posted through my BlackBerry
    11-09-16 12:13 AM
    Why not just get nova launcher and customize a skin yourself that way? If that's possible.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    11-09-16 12:20 AM
    Cost/benefit; effort now is concentrated on PIM, hardening, strong points. Fluff like skinning OS is a want, not a need.
    You will have to remind me what PIM is and why PIM is a need and how the benefits of PIM and hardening are greater than the cost ( to the consumer) .

Posted via CB10
    11-09-16 01:22 AM
    The license is not only a paper. I think there are also some software supports from BlackBerry side. Judging from BBRY device pricing before DTEK, BBRY had been pretty terrible in production costs-control and supply chain. If it was just Steve Jobs without Tim Cook, the iPhone would be dead in 2008 just because of its price.

Posted through my BlackBerry
    Yeah, LG and Sony have good supply chain purchasing and management. Look what it's gotten them.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-16 08:22 AM
    That would move me closer To actually getting a android phone. But if that is possible. Could they integrate the hub into the os? Like bb10. That would be a selling point for BlackBerry phones as the others would just get the app suite.

If they could bring the bb10 experience to Android that would be good. And I don't just mean having the hub and calendar. Etc... I mean swiping,active frames. Swipe from anywhere to the hub.

#luvmybb10os
    Was just thinking about this the other day actually. Why can't BlackBerry have the hub on the left side of the screen implemented the same way as productivity tab? It would allow you to swipe to the right to bring up the hub at any time, like you can with productivity tab. I think it would be a good option to provide users who would like it implemented that way, and of course have the option to turn it off as well.
    11-09-16 09:34 AM
    You will have to remind me what PIM is and why PIM is a need and how the benefits of PIM and hardening are greater than the cost ( to the consumer) .

Posted via CB10
    I assume personal information management. So privacy and security concerns.
    11-09-16 09:53 AM
    Given that I see the Alcatel 4 dummy slab everywhere and very few DTEK slabs , I think the carriers have made their decision ( here in Canada).
    11-09-16 01:13 PM

Posted via CB10
    Personal information management: Hub, contacts, calendar, stuff like that.
    11-09-16 01:37 PM
    Personal information management: Hub, contacts, calendar, stuff like that.
    Oh a skin then ...
    11-09-16 03:21 PM
    Was just thinking about this the other day actually. Why can't BlackBerry have the hub on the left side of the screen implemented the same way as productivity tab? It would allow you to swipe to the right to bring up the hub at any time, like you can with productivity tab. I think it would be a good option to provide users who would like it implemented that way, and of course have the option to turn it off as well.
    I guess you can make it a widget and place it on the last page on the left. That way you swipe left to get to it. It's a nice idea but not really like using an integrated hub. Imo. But. I just thought.

If they are going software why not make. On there BlackBerry phones only a skin. Integrated the hub into the os. It is a selling feature. And differentiates them from every other android phone.

#luvmybb10os
    11-09-16 08:19 PM
    I just don't understand why Android does so well or is a preferred device OS.
    BB10 is far more superb, fluidity galore among other reasons. I've preferred BlackBerry devices from the beginning and even more once BB10 debuted.

 BlackBerry Passport SQW100-3/10.3.2.2876 AT&T
    11-09-16 09:10 PM
    I just don't understand why Android does so well or is a preferred device OS.
    BB10 is far more superb, fluidity galore among other reasons. I've preferred BlackBerry devices from the beginning and even more once BB10 debuted.

It's probably the apps.
    11-09-16 09:19 PM
    I like BlackBerry 10 a lot but found my way around Android now and appreciate the way BlackBerry kept it.
    Bbnivende and syclone1978 like this.
    11-09-16 11:30 PM
    It's probably the apps.
    No, Blackberry didn't advertise.
    DrBoomBotz and syclone1978 like this.
    11-11-16 05:30 PM
    It's probably the apps.
    I understand that some apps don't function properly, however, I have 214 apps on my Passport and am completely satisfied. I wouldn't give up BB10 for the ability to use an app over just going to the website. Yes, BlackBerry World never carried as many as Google Play store but it's not a deal breaker to me.

I can't think of a particular app I Must have in order to go Android or iOS.

I've preferred BlackBerry over any device for over a decade. Yes, apps are convenient, but I survived with out them before apps became our way of life.

To me BlackBerry and BB10 are phenomenal and I dread the end of BB10 and forcing me to go to Android which of course I'll choose BlackBerry Android.

11-12-16 10:31 AM
    I understand that some apps don't function properly, however, I have 214 apps on my Passport and am completely satisfied. I wouldn't give up BB10 for the ability to use an app over just going to the website. Yes, BlackBerry World never carried as many as Google Play store but it's not a deal breaker to me.

I can't think of a particular app I Must have in order to go Android or iOS.

I've preferred BlackBerry over any device for over a decade. Yes, apps are convenient, but I survived with out them before apps became our way of life.

To me BlackBerry and BB10 are phenomenal and I dread the end of BB10 and forcing me to go to Android which of course I'll choose BlackBerry Android.
    So just to be clear, It wasn't the apps?
    syclone1978 likes this.
    11-12-16 10:35 AM
    No point in skinning it like BB10 as there is no money in it. If you think about it they have actually done a good job of making stock android look and behave like BB10. The hub is accessible via a swipe up and to the right. The minimized applications are cards, just like in BB10. Add this to the contacts, calendar and VKB and it is a good compromise for the minuscule number of BB10 die hards.

Another advantage of their current approach is that it should theoretically be easier for them to release new versions of Android as they have less customizations. Many other android OEM's can't say the same thing.

I'm happy with BlackBerry droid as-is. Can't really ask for anything else.
    syclone1978 and Pcmx like this.
    11-12-16 10:51 AM
28 12