Probably very unlikely, but it would be pretty cool to see a Blackberry smartphone run Windows Mobile. Alcatel did it with the Idol 4s, which was also TCL, so maybe another DTEK in the future?

In my opinion, Blackberry already has their own version of Android so I'd like to see what they could do with Windows, and just a Windows Blackberry in general sounds great.
    Kot Prada likes this.
    02-03-17 07:09 AM
    Neat idea, but they would need to pay money to MS for licensing. Android is open source. It won't happen. Plus they have already abandoned BB10. Why go to another OS that has less than 1% market share?
    02-03-17 07:19 AM
    Neat idea, but they would need to pay money to MS for licensing. Android is open source. It won't happen. Plus they have already abandoned BB10. Why go to another OS that has less than 1% market share?
    Microsoft started licensing Windows phone for free to anyone interested since 2 years ago. it hasn't helped them that much.
    Tim-ANC and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-03-17 07:36 AM
    Microsoft started licensing Windows phone for free to anyone interested since 2 years ago. it hasn't helped them that much.
    Thanks. Sums up the story right there.
    02-03-17 08:32 AM
    Who knows? If TCL can make money selling pkb BlackBerries they may just go nuts and try to sell pkb Win10 phones.
    02-03-17 08:52 AM
    I would not be surprised if there might not be more interest in a Windows phone for enterprise, than a BlackBerry.... at this point.

But, I don't see BlackBerry having the financial resources to "secure" Windows like they have Android. Don't see them having the financial resources to create their BlackBerry Suite for Windows.... They are a very small company now, and just could not take on a project that big without expanding and receiving some backing to support such an undertaking.

But TCL could just put a PALM (they own what left of them too) keyboard on a future Windows phone.... and see where that gets them. If BlackBerry would not allow just their name and keyboard to be used....
    02-03-17 09:02 AM
    I would not be surprised if there might not be more interest in a Windows phone for enterprise, than a BlackBerry.... at this point.

But, I don't see BlackBerry having the financial resources to "secure" Windows like they have Android. Don't see them having the financial resources to create their BlackBerry Suite for Windows.... They are a very small company now, and just could not take on a project that big without expanding and receiving some backing to support such an undertaking.

But TCL could just put a PALM (they own what left of them too) keyboard on a future Windows phone.... and see where that gets them. If BlackBerry would not allow just their name and keyboard to be used....
    Windows Phone is already quite secure so the only value add that BlackBerry could bring would be a keyboard (and maybe some exclusive apps).
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and the1 like this.
    02-03-17 10:20 AM
    I am pretty sure TCL has an exclusive contract to the BlackBerry in the Americas and Europe. They already produce an Alcatel Windows phone. Why create a BlackBerry branded windows phone
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-03-17 04:48 PM
    Where are all the windows phones? I have NEVER seen one in the wild, outside a windows store. Geesh they are rarer than BlackBerry phones...

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    02-03-17 05:04 PM
    Windows Phone is already quite secure so the only value add that BlackBerry could bring would be a keyboard (and maybe some exclusive apps).
    How can Windows phone be that secure when my Windows 10 PC needs a plethora of third party security software to keep it secure?
    02-03-17 05:40 PM
    Where are all the windows phones? I have NEVER seen one in the wild, outside a windows store. Geesh they are rarer than BlackBerry phones...

If you don't make money you disappear.

Huawei: 'nobody made any money in Windows Phone'
    02-03-17 05:44 PM
    "Thoughts on Blackberry Windows Phones?"

BlackBerry mentioned last year that they wouldn't make such phones. Even if it did happen, I honestly wouldn't buy one.... I'd buy a Nokia Lumia for that flavor.
    02-03-17 09:04 PM
    How can Windows phone be that secure when my Windows 10 PC needs a plethora of third party security software to keep it secure?
    Windows Phone isn't Windows 10 PC but you shouldn't need any third party software on PC to secure Windows; Defender is built in and more than enough.
    Tim-ANC and Elephant_Canyon like this.
    02-03-17 10:59 PM
    I am pretty sure TCL has an exclusive contract to the BlackBerry in the Americas and Europe. They already produce an Alcatel Windows phone. Why create a BlackBerry branded windows phone
    Right, didn't think about Alcatel.
    02-04-17 01:54 AM
    Who knows? If TCL can make money selling pkb BlackBerries they may just go nuts and try to sell pkb Win10 phones.
    I'd be first in line for that.
    02-04-17 06:14 PM
    "Thoughts on Blackberry Windows Phones?"

BlackBerry mentioned last year that they wouldn't make such phones. Even if it did happen, I honestly wouldn't buy one.... I'd buy a Nokia Lumia for that flavor.
    Unfortunate. I can understand them saying that from a money perspective but I'll be darned if I'm still not upset about it.
    02-04-17 06:17 PM
    Microsoft has treated windows phone like a redheaded stepchild. It was the "next big thing" then their CEO found out it wasnt making money. Microsoft actually wrote off their entire nokia mobile acquisition last year as a result. If theres any new windows phone other than the suface phone, the occasional cheap lumia and the HP ones from here on out, Ill be shocked. And there was a windows phone with a keyboard, it was called the dell venue pro.
    02-05-17 01:21 AM
    I read somewhere that they considered the matter but it didn't finalize into anything and Android was the way forward (Thank God).

Windows and BlackBerry will work well together, they seem to be both professional and secure with users that think the world has been harsh to them. Oh its the perfect marriage. An App-less one of course, similar to a child-less one.
    02-05-17 01:29 AM
    Microsoft has treated windows phone like a redheaded stepchild. It was the "next big thing" then their CEO found out it wasnt making money. Microsoft actually wrote off their entire nokia mobile acquisition last year as a result. If theres any new windows phone other than the suface phone, the occasional cheap lumia and the HP ones from here on out, Ill be shocked. And there was a windows phone with a keyboard, it was called the dell venue pro.
    This outfit is trying to launch one:

http://www.whartonbrooks.com/smartphones/
    02-05-17 01:45 AM
    The windows OS, at least 8.1, is actually quite very good. The settings menus could perhaps give users more sophisticated control, but the live tile format plus the included apps on the phone are pretty good. You get the Office apps for free (worth the price of the phone right there if you bought a midrange or less), plus the camera if you bought the right Nokia is tremendous. There have been articles online about how the lumia 830, a midrange with darn low specs, does better than the iPhone 6, the top flagship of its day, camera-wise.

I enjoy the ability to very highly customize the look of your phone, too.

The windows app store is better than bbw. Not by much, but there's still some support there.

I like bb10 for its smoothness, great communications, and well-designed phones like the passport.

A phone that could bring together the best qualities of windows 8.1 and bb10, supported by Apple-like marketing, could be a winner. Well, at least in Fantasy Land...

02-05-17 02:19 AM
    No one is contesting the superiority of the OS. Whether its Windows Mob or BB10. Both Very good OSs and could've been better than the current status quo of Android & iOS. That was said a million times. But it won't happen, world has moved on and all the apps went to two roads. No point now in discussing very wild fantasies that won't happen. Opening threads and so.

They say nothing is impossible, but since when did OSs get resurrected? In the tech world, new stuff come out and disrupt the old. Its always NEW software, New tech, new everything. Its not old things becoming new again guys. This is not the way tech operates.
    02-05-17 02:46 AM
    You leave out one major change at Microsoft. The Microsoft BOD forced out Balmer because they were tired of losing billions of dollars on his failed mobile experiments. They promoted a new CEO with a much more well rounded mobile strategy that includes embracing iOS and Android as platforms for Microsoft's products and services. Nadella has never seemed to support Windows Mobile. I have not seen anything about it at any Microsoft conference since he became the CEO.
    02-05-17 05:02 AM
    The windows OS, at least 8.1, is actually quite very good. The settings menus could perhaps give users more sophisticated control, but the live tile format plus the included apps on the phone are pretty good. You get the Office apps for free (worth the price of the phone right there if you bought a midrange or less), plus the camera if you bought the right Nokia is tremendous. There have been articles online about how the lumia 830, a midrange with darn low specs, does better than the iPhone 6, the top flagship of its day, camera-wise.

I enjoy the ability to very highly customize the look of your phone, too.

The windows app store is better than bbw. Not by much, but there's still some support there.

I like bb10 for its smoothness, great communications, and well-designed phones like the passport.

A phone that could bring together the best qualities of windows 8.1 and bb10, supported by Apple-like marketing, could be a winner. Well, at least in Fantasy Land...

Yes 8.1 mobile was good. Unfortunately Windows 10 mobile was a complete disaster. Really buggy and not as feature rich as 8.1. Also, Microsoft's upgrade strategy is so bad it makes Android's seem well planned. Win 7 phones had no upgrade path to Win 8 and very few Win 8x phones could upgrade to Windows 10 even though their hardware was capable of supporting 10.

Windows 10 burned through and lost a lot of the Windows Mobile faithful.
    02-05-17 05:08 AM
    I'm using a WP 8.1 phone right now: the browser, even after a clean wipe, crashes on almost 60-70% of the pages. WP must die, I'm glad BlackBerry chose Android.
    02-05-17 05:47 AM
    Probably very unlikely, but it would be pretty cool to see a Blackberry smartphone run Windows Mobile. Alcatel did it with the Idol 4s, which was also TCL, so maybe another DTEK in the future?

In my opinion, Blackberry already has their own version of Android so I'd like to see what they could do with Windows, and just a Windows Blackberry in general sounds great.
    Would have to agree with @Tim-ANC, while i think it would be awesome to have a W10M device, The OS is actually really cool.

They would have to pay Microsoft for the use of the software and the W10m market share is also very small. Plus, they have a similar situation to BB10 with Apps. Not everything is available. So i think it would be a very poor decision to go down that road. Especially since they have spent so much time investing in securing Android as best as possible

A nice thought though.
    02-05-17 05:55 AM
51 123