02-09-13 11:31 PM
173 ... 567
tools
    Just to add: (Official specs)

Nokia Lumia 920 (Battery)
    Talk Time:Up to 8 hours
    Standby time:Up to 240 hours
    Music Playback:Up to 43 hours

Samsung Galaxy III official battery specs seem to show the same as that of Nokia Lumia 920. So based on the official specs, Z10 battery life is the best out of all 4 phones. How far off are the official specs compared to normal everyday usage? Still waiting for CB to show us their results. I'm not buying the Verge review just yet. I've already noticed a lot of false info flying around about the Z10 already.
    Ya this is what I really want to know.
    01-31-13 08:16 AM
    I never said it wasn't BB's fault. I think it is their fault for the US delay. I was simply saying that the media was positive about BB10.
    Sorry, I wasn't directing that at you...more of a general statement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    01-31-13 08:18 AM
    I think it has to be the carriers fault. I dont think that UK carriers had the devices any longer than for example ATT in the US. Its just that some carriers take a very long time to "test" the devices.
    And why wouldn't BB plan on this before their big launch? Once again, in my opinion it is absurd to blame anyone BUT BB for this.

JeepBB likes this.
    01-31-13 08:20 AM
    Alicia Keys looked like a fish out of water, and stuck to the script.
    Because probably you did not see Jessica Alba at the WP8 phone unveiling. She was the one looking totally out of the water and awkward.. Acting badly while she was trying to remember what features were cool in the phone..
    Alicia Keys at least had a charismatic presence on the stage and she showed a brain more than.... other things (not that I do not appreciate Jessica Alba )
    RIM emmm BlackBerry needs to reach more the consumer, increasing the "cool" factor that they have lost. The old management would not even thought in using a star to promote the new phones..

Thorsten looked sometimes a little awkward but overall he directed the presentation properly. I really liked Vivek, always spot on showing the new BB10 features. I would have loved a longer technical presentation without entering maybe in the details but showing off more software (what about file manager? BB travel? BB password and so on?) They should have showed much more how BB10 offers a great overall experience without even the need of third party apps..
    Plus... what about the new all mobile computing platform idea? Thorsten talked about that but did not give any practical example!!! I was expecting at least a demonstration with the QNX car.. completely integrated with BB10 phones...

I think they did not put enough energy in the presentation. Alec would have helped in that sense..

Well now what is done is done.. the ball passes on to the marketing guys... let's see how effectively they will promote the platform.
    01-31-13 08:50 AM
    So what were the BIG surprises that they announced? Everyone was saying they would "wow" us with something big, so i'm just curious what it was?
    The big surprise was they were going to delay the US introduction for at least a month!
    Blacklatino likes this.
    01-31-13 09:01 AM
    I'm still going to keep my eye out on the Q10 but by the time it releases in the US it will be competing with the IPhone 6 (?) and the Galaxy S4. Diehard BB fans will be pleased but RIM needed to try to make a dent in the mainstream consumer market if they hope to take on the big 2.
    The Q10 will not compete at this point with the IPhone 6 and the S4. The Z10 is designed for that. The Q10 is targeting all the BlackBerry customers who wants the physical keyboard (I am one of them) and will attract for the same reason people who switched over because the keyboard with an old OS was not appealing anymore
    01-31-13 09:03 AM
    My thoughts...about the same as this.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on the big unveiling?-uploadfromtaptalk1359645670876.jpg  
    01-31-13 09:21 AM
    For all those slamming the launch. It is what it is. Most press events for tech are the same. Even some of Steve Jobs presentations where boring and he just blew smoke up people's butts and the lemmings sipped it up. As for Alica Keys, she is a face for the company nothing else so stop calling Blackberry out for it. Samsung has Labroun Nike has woods etc etc. It's a marketing ploy stop making such a big deal of it.

Give it a month for the true reviews to see what the hardware can do. Did rim blow it with this presentation? YES. Not because of the personalities, but because of the content. Nothing new other then rims name change was the surprise. Everything was leaked months and months ago. The z10 was leaked last January for God's sake, only thing that changed was button placement, and nothing new in the os we haven't seen before either. This and the March launch in the US is what accounts for the stock plunge.

Does blackberry have a compelling product. Yes, will it do well, yes. Will it over take apple or android, not any time soon.

Blackberry has taken a good first step in the right direction. If they play this out right and build a strong ecosystem and image they will be around for along time.

Will i be buying a z10 or q10? Not right now, it's a brand new os and I have to do my research on it to see if it's really the game changer it clams to be. Non the less right step in the right direction.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    cman5 and barragan like this.
    01-31-13 10:01 AM
    I was impressed until he said March for US carriers. Then I just walked away, disappointed.
    +1. Actively looking for a way to purchase an unlocked one
    01-31-13 12:04 PM
    I think they could have done a better job at selling the OS by doing a video montage of the areas where QNX si already being used and the reason its powering the new phones. Why didn't they mention the fact the it's used in nuclear power plants, interview an engineer!!!That its used in missile guidance systems. People are impressed by these things. Apple always makes a videos like that. Not too sure why they always under sell themselves.
    01-31-13 12:24 PM
    Even though it was very lackluster...I was still glued to my screen! I was totally bummed they gave the q10 so little lime-light!! Ive been waiting for that sexy piece of hardware for a long time now...as Im sure many of us have....I could not believe that it was shown so little. The whole presentation left a lot to be desired....and I have to say Im worried that even the most faithful BB users may begin to drift away with ANOTHER 90 day wait to get our beloved Q10! GRRRRRRRRR!!
    01-31-13 12:36 PM
    The Q10 will not compete at this point with the IPhone 6 and the S4. The Z10 is designed for that. The Q10 is targeting all the BlackBerry customers who wants the physical keyboard (I am one of them) and will attract for the same reason people who switched over because the keyboard with an old OS was not appealing anymore
    My initial thought is that for the average person the Z10 will be held in about in the same light as the iPhone or Android touch screen smartphone--yes--a much better operating system but that aside, but still just another touchscreen smartphone. The normal iPhone user is looking for apps that they will never use so they can say they have them and not much interested in the business use of the phone as your normal BB user is.

On the other hand, at the end of the day, the Q10 may very well turn out to be the flagship phone of the QNX system! Most BB users are there because of the keyboard (and the security) and over all, the sales of the BB touch screen ONLY models haven't sold as well as the 9900/9930's or the slider Torch 9810 (my favorite). So, with that in mind, I think that once the Q10 is out and people are more familar with the UI of the new operating system, you will see a huge increase in sales of the Q10. Hopefully they will offer a Slider version (like the 9810) down the road, giving the user the best of both worlds-bigger screen and Keyboard. I for one am waiting to see how it all falls out at the end of the day--and--lol--my upgrade isn't available until April so I'd have to wait anyway. Then its a Q10 or Slider if they have it! Just my 2 cents worth.
    01-31-13 03:26 PM
    I actually like Thorsten's humble, sweet personality. I don't think he was the problem.
    The problem was a lack of demonstration. Blackberry keep harping on about how they are leading the pack in "mobile computing" but we didn't see anything that demonstrated what they were doing in that regard or how the two phones fit into this larger plan. It is this larger plan that had me excited.
    I agree. I really like the humble and good-natured personality of Heins. I did find the launch presentation was really down-to-earth with an easy atmosphere, which I liked, but I know it was not appreciated from a business point of view. Another unfortunate part was the lack of any major demonstrations of BB10 and new features that left an overall underwhelming feeling. But launch is done and over and time for us BB fans to move on...get our greedy little hands on the Z10 and/or the Q10 and play with the BB10 system we've been drooling about for so long.

On an another additional note, after looking at the launch and thinking more about what Heins said, I believe BB is now more focused on maintaining their strength in the business world and garner support from consumers that don't care much for bling but more for a solid system that can let them get the things they want done fast. BB10 was designed for this purpose (which I think they succeed in doing) but I think many have forgotten about that and keep comparing it to the iPhone and Android whose purposes are more towards entertainment than work (not saying you can't do work on them but they shift more one way than the other). In this respect, I do look forward to seeing what new innovations BB will bring to mobile computing.
    01-31-13 04:38 PM
    Blackberry needs to ensure that no leaks occur at next release, if they would have kept all information tight this would have been an epic unveiling, but sadly we knew most of the stuff already....
    Syrous44 likes this.
    01-31-13 04:42 PM
    I'm a huge BB supporter and I feel the Z10 is a great product. There were SO.MANY.FEATURES.AND.SPECIFICS. that weren't even brought up! Take a chapter from APPLE. Hate to say it but it's TRUE.

They make the littlest features seem so COOL, their presenters have CHARISMA, there's PASSION in their body language and voice. We had none of this (save for Vivek who I'd say did the best job presenting).

At this point in the game, everyone's going to be highly critical and mention little things to pick on the Z10 which is why you don't GIVE THEM ANY AMMUNITION!

1. Mention that it has Gorilla Glass (which many reviewers were saying it doesn't and using it as just another thing to pick BB on). Does it really matter? No, but the consumers and reviewers think it does, so mention it.

2. Mention specs, mention battery life, mention load times. Show what it is that makes your platform so good by granular detail and your viewers will approach the product with that in mind. Don't tell them anything, and they'll have more ammunition to fire since no one stated otherwise.

3. As much as I think Thorstein is a great CEO and whipped BB back into shape, he is NOT a presenter. Even when he was clapping to say thanks to all of his employees or in response to a cool feature Vivek brought up, it was done with no enthusiasm, with no passion, no engagement.

4. Show those 'Keep Moving' videos during the presentation. I saw them later and thought they were great, especially the 'keep business moving' one

5. I don't know what happened but when Marty Malik (excuse the spelling) was talking about all the apps, not one person clapped at the end. It was the most awkward ending to what should have been a highlight of the event. He just said 'thank you' and walked off like a comic that had no connection with the audience (see 54:07-54:12, the most awkward 5 seconds of the presentation-- )

6.. Hire a Blackberry Evangelist. Have them be the spokesperson for BB. Have them be the face of the brand in conferences like this. Have that person go on interviews, have that person be funny, likeable, effective at good rhetoric. Have them infuse the product with passion and goodwill, something it seems BB has missed the boat on for a long time and Apple/Samsung have capitalized on.

7. Talk about the FUTURE of Blackberry. Talk about what their vision is. How it will be interconnected with so many things that touch our daily life in the future. Show a 10 minute video of Blackberry's vision for the future, that would really get the crowd excited. Show the BB talking to cars, making mobile payments, accessing work doors without the need of a security FOB, show them paying for a parking meter with the touch of the phone. Show them collaborating with people on the playbook for fun and work. They will then undrestand what Heins meant when he said, 'this isn't the finish line, it's the starting line'. This will change how people perceive the Z10--the first of this 'kind' of future vision in a tangible form.

8. Talk about what makes the QNX software so amazing, talk about the 30 ways it touches peoples lives and how BB10 will touch peoples lives the same way. Talk about how 'phone crashing' is almost a thing of the past. Talk about how if one application fails, QNX will isolate it and not let it affect the rest of the user's experience--THIS IS BIG.

While the Z10 has its downfalls, they certainly don't outshadow the benefits it brings with the new product launch, but due to the lack of communicating the granular benefits, talking them up, showing passion about them, the downfalls are all that stand out and that's what was the most annoying thing.

Yes it's a 1.0 release so we should hopefully see better improvements over time (i.e. much of the granular customization that was loved about BB7 is gone and has to come back immediately), but don't give the critics any more ammo than they have. Know how to effectively and fervently communicate your message, and if you don't, then get someone who does.

Maybe they should have had the presentation done in London where it seemed there was way more energy in the crowd (and more notorious BB users). When people look back on the video, they should be hearing ovations in the background, not birds chirping.

At the end of the day, I'm still getting the product but again I'm a BB fan. This presentation was created for existing BB fans, not for converting new customers over; and that's the problem.
    Last edited by Rayysai; 01-31-13 at 06:28 PM.
    BThunderW and Admorris like this.
    01-31-13 06:14 PM
    I'm a huge BB supporter and I feel the Z10 is a great product. There were SO.MANY.FEATURES.AND.SPECIFICS. that weren't even brought up! Take a chapter from APPLE. Hate to say it but it's TRUE.

They make the littlest features seem so COOL, their presenters have CHARISMA, there's PASSION in their body language and voice. We had none of this (save for Vivek who I'd say did the best job presenting).

At this point in the game, everyone's going to be highly critical and mention little things to pick on the Z10 which is why you don't GIVE THEM ANY AMMUNITION!

1. Mention that it has Gorilla Glass (which many reviewers were saying it doesn't and using it as just another thing to pick BB on). Does it really matter? No, but the consumers and reviewers think it does, so mention it.

2. Mention specs, mention battery life, mention load times. Show what it is that makes your platform so good by granular detail and your viewers will approach the product with that in mind. Don't tell them anything, and they'll have more ammunition to fire since no one stated otherwise.

3. As much as I think Thorstein is a great CEO and whipped BB back into shape, he is NOT a presenter. Even when he was clapping to say thanks to all of his employees or in response to a cool feature Vivek brought up, it was done with no enthusiasm, with no passion, no engagement.

4. Show those 'Keep Moving' videos during the presentation. I saw them later and thought they were great, especially the 'keep business moving' one

5. I don't know what happened but when Marty Malik (excuse the spelling) was talking about all the apps, not one person clapped at the end. It was the most awkward ending to what should have been a highlight of the event. He just said 'thank you' and walked off like a comic that had no connection with the audience (see 54:07-54:12, the most awkward 5 seconds of the presentation-- )

6.. Hire a Blackberry Evangelist. Have them be the spokesperson for BB. Have them be the face of the brand in conferences like this. Have that person go on interviews, have that person be funny, likeable, effective at good rhetoric. Have them infuse the product with passion and goodwill, something it seems BB has missed the boat on for a long time and Apple/Samsung have capitalized on.

7. Talk about the FUTURE of Blackberry. Talk about what their vision is. How it will be interconnected with so many things that touch our daily life in the future. Show a 10 minute video of Blackberry's vision for the future, that would really get the crowd excited. Show the BB talking to cars, making mobile payments, accessing work doors without the need of a security FOB, show them paying for a parking meter with the touch of the phone. Show them collaborating with people on the playbook for fun and work. They will then undrestand what Heins meant when he said, 'this isn't the finish line, it's the starting line'. This will change how people perceive the Z10--the first of this 'kind' of future vision in a tangible form.

8. Talk about what makes the QNX software so amazing, talk about the 30 ways it touches peoples lives and how BB10 will touch peoples lives the same way. Talk about how 'phone crashing' is almost a thing of the past. Talk about how if one application fails, QNX will isolate it and not let it affect the rest of the user's experience--THIS IS BIG.

While the Z10 has its downfalls, they certainly don't outshadow the benefits it brings with the new product launch, but due to the lack of communicating the granular benefits, talking them up, showing passion about them, the downfalls are all that stand out and that's what was the most annoying thing.

Yes it's a 1.0 release so we should hopefully see better improvements over time (i.e. much of the granular customization that was loved about BB7 is gone and has to come back immediately), but don't give the critics any more ammo than they have. Know how to effectively and fervently communicate your message, and if you don't, then get someone who does.

Maybe they should have had the presentation done in London where it seemed there was way more energy in the crowd (and more notorious BB users). When people look back on the video, they should be hearing ovations in the background, not birds chirping.

At the end of the day, I'm still getting the product but again I'm a BB fan. This presentation was created for existing BB fans, not for converting new customers over; and that's the problem.
    Thank you for the thoughtful post...you obviously took a lot of time to write that and I appreciate that.

01-31-13 07:31 PM
    I was hoping that they would have hired a very big name in the music business.
    A band that is very very high teck profile with huge drawing power.
    The first part of the presentation should have been a rock show

And after the 3rd song that's when you begin the product launch.
    Get everyone's heart pumping.
    Unfortunately that did not happen yesterday
    Next time tell Thorn to hire me.
    I will organize that biggest baddest party this side of the universe and for a week after the event I guarantee the whole planet will still be on a buzz
    01-31-13 07:58 PM
    Everybody has very high expectations from the launch. But really, would you have done better if you were the CEO?
    01-31-13 09:23 PM
    Alicia's *** is pretty big and her coming on stage was a bit of a surprise. You do the math

LOL. Uh, yeah. But, it is interesting that she posted on twitter about the whole BlackBerry(about her)....from her iPhone.(?) Should have at least given her a Dev device. until they are released over here.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 02-04-13 at 03:24 PM.
    01-31-13 09:39 PM
    Agreed that they should have had someone else present. I also think that they rushed through the features of BB10, kind of wish they slowed down a bit... I had a hard time following what Vivek was doing with the Remember app.

They didn't show enough of BB10, there are many other features they didn't even mention. They also should have shown off the camera in a well lit area.

And the time shift feature on the camera: why didn't they take a picture with multiple subjects and show that you can adjust each individual person's face? You're not just capturing a perfect moment, you're creating a moment that never actually existed.
    01-31-13 09:49 PM
    Why wasn't Kevin made the creative director? That would have been the biggest surprise for Crackberry nation!
    Never name a nerd/geek as creative director (we're all nerds)... You'll end up with a Homer Simpson car!
    02-01-13 08:47 AM
    ITT: People trying to figure out the WOW factas promised
    SKYPE!? MAYBE ...: ..... No? Yes!? Nope.
    How bout....
    ALICIA KEYS OMG HAVEN'T SEEN HER ARSE IN A DECADE....... Get it cause she's the key to blackberry... Alcia keys..... Gies?

Our name is blackberry.... Because people give a ****.

You blew it RIM.
    Get Blackberry another blood pack, were losing him!
    02-01-13 10:15 AM
    Lets face the facts. Thorstein is a VERY POOR and AWKWARD spokesperson for a Launch event. They needed a person with charisma, public speaking and presentation skills, as much of a nice man Thorstein no doubt is he was the WRONG choice to lead / present at the Blackberry 10 event. He should of taken a limited role by only introducing people/staff with not just good, rather excellent presentation skills to run through features of the OS and the phone itself. There was one chance to give a first impression of a new phone and OS ... Blackberry could not of done a poorer job in my opinion. Poorly planned and poorly executed ... it looked like an awkward presentation by nervous people in a high school class. No doubt many Blackberry employee's are embarrassed.

I've been a BB owner since my beloved 957, I liked my many Curves so much over the years, it went down hill with the Bold ... I went to iPhone, loved it, still do, got bored, checked out Android, SGIII, HTC One S, now the Nexus 4, (yes I'm a tech geek), I did all this while I waited for BB10 to become a reality, during that time I preferred my iPhone 4 and now 5 by FAR over the Androids, and my BB 9900, finally the Z10 arrived and regrettably it's been a huge let down, my complaints are similar to the many listed here in the forum so I won't go through the list, suffice it say it's gone back to Rogers.

After all this messing around with smartphones which I primarily use for productivity and do an extreme amount of typing/replying to mail my choice ends up being the iPhone 5. It ticks the most boxes, it's worth the time to get comfortable with the keyboard because with practice typing is blistering fast, way faster than my Bold 9900 and I've been typing on BB keyboards since the 957, all it took was practice and trusting the touchscreen keyboard.

Bottom line, my guess is Blackberry won't pull through this, the first indicator to me was how bad the presentation was... that may seem odd, but if you can't put together a stunning presentation to save your company it's a problem, the Z10 is nothing special and the OS has no 'wow' factor like most hoped for and this is where things will start to unravel for Blackberry.

Changing the name just stupid too, in my opinion ... why put energy into even thinking about a name change, focus on the phone and OS make it great and they wouldn't need to ... think of the mega bucks and time that will be spent just to manage the name change ... it's all just sad overall.

Bye Bye Blackberry, HELLO iPHONE 5!!
    02-09-13 11:31 PM
173 ... 567