As many have already written the presentation was bad, really really bad. With all this time to prepare and they do a presentation like this, for the re-birth of the company? Wow, who's responsible for putting that together I wonder? Fire them now.

Thorsten should of provided hard facts and the intro's for others with much more charisma and presentation skills. A very poor introduction to the new Blackberry. It's a shame, I wish them well, but they didn't make a good first impression, imo.

A great product needs great representation and marketing ... Blackberry - FIRE YOUR MARKETING PEOPLE before it's too late.
    01-30-13 05:36 PM
    As many have already written the presentation was bad, really really bad. With all this time to prepare and they do a presentation like this, for the re-birth of the company? Wow, who's responsible for putting that together I wonder? Fire them now.

Thorsten should of provided hard facts and the intro's for others with much more charisma and presentation skills. A very poor introduction to the new Blackberry. It's a shame, I wish them well, but they didn't make a good first impression, imo.
    It's his first launch and it was important for him to be seen front and centre. He didn't look comfortable some of the time he was up there but he did appear to be in control which is far more important. Journalists there were far more forgiving than a lot of people here which is precisely what they need. Some of the superlatives that were used seem to be from another launch altogether but what they say to the rest of the world is far more important than what we say in a forum.
    01-30-13 05:42 PM
    Except she truly is qualified for the role they described for her. She is beyond brilliant and will without a doubt help BB10. Some endorsements are just that, endorsements. This goes beyond that and really hit the nail on the head.
    ...this is either really good sarcasm or... I can't honestly think of a way to finish that sentence as I have difficulty understanding the possibility that someone would seriously say that.

She's a pop star. She's being paid to promote a product. Jessica Alba with windows phone. Russell Brand with webos and touchpad. Just because she was called director of whatever doesn't mean she's working 9-5 money-fri in Waterloo. It's a gag, a way of trying to surprise everyone when they announced who it actually was - although playing her song earlier kinda killed that.
    01-30-13 06:26 PM
    ...this is either really good sarcasm or... I can't honestly think of a way to finish that sentence as I have difficulty understanding the possibility that someone would seriously say that.

She's a pop star. She's being paid to promote a product. Jessica Alba with windows phone. Russell Brand with webos and touchpad. Just because she was called director of whatever doesn't mean she's working 9-5 money-fri in Waterloo. It's a gag, a way of trying to surprise everyone when they announced who it actually was - although playing her song earlier kinda killed that.
    I'm not sure. Russell Brand being involved day-to-day with the TouchPad would explain a lot.
    wayoung and robkd like this.
    01-30-13 06:29 PM
    The Verge review on YouTube today said battery life was average if not below average. He took it off charger at 9a and was dead by 6p I believe is what he said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Wow. That's is concerning. Any of the posters who had hands on experience happen to in this thread and have any input? If this it true, that definitely knocks it off the top of my list for new phone.
    01-30-13 07:31 PM
    Well, according to spec sheets that are up:

Battery
    Capacity: 1800 mAh
    Talk time – up to 10 hours (3G)
    Standby time – up to 305 hours (3G)
    Audio playback – up to 60 hours
    Video playback – up to 11 hours

I'm waiting to see what the CB crew has to say about battery life. From my experience following this site for the past months, I trust their review.

Who's also expecting an OS update shortly after Feb 5th release? There may be one. I'm sure the launch doesn't mean they've stopped improving the OS. Also, it's clear that BB reads posts on here, so voice your opinions and help them improve the 1st gen OS to your/our satisfaction.
    These are the official numbers on Apple's website for the iPhone 5:

Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
    Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter
    Talk time: Up to 8 hours on 3G
    Standby time: Up to 225 hours
    Internet use: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi
    Video playback: Up to 10 hours
    Audio playback: Up to 40 hours
    Just to add: (Official specs)

Nokia Lumia 920 (Battery)
    Talk Time:Up to 8 hours
    Standby time:Up to 240 hours
    Music Playback:Up to 43 hours

Samsung Galaxy III official battery specs seem to show the same as that of Nokia Lumia 920. So based on the official specs, Z10 battery life is the best out of all 4 phones. How far off are the official specs compared to normal everyday usage? Still waiting for CB to show us their results. I'm not buying the Verge review just yet. I've already noticed a lot of false info flying around about the Z10 already.
    01-30-13 08:28 PM
    All the capabilities of the HUB are amazing. But I can see where they would consume alot of processing power and battery life. What if I don't want to know what my contact is tweeting or posting on FB, can i turn those features off - if all I want is his street address do I have to get everything?
    you can delete some the apps you have no use for...
    01-30-13 10:30 PM
    I didn't think Kevin wanted it cut off. I thought they sort of pushed it on him.
    BTW, where is he? Seems to have gone silent.

Tim
    yeah,,, his lady got to likin' it,,, he was hesitant but the guy made him stick to his word,,, & he did to his credit,,, my guess is if he ain't partyin', he's crashed...
    01-30-13 10:35 PM
    Are you stupid or an apologist? Thorsten chose the premier launch event to be hosted in New York City yet allowed the wireless carriers to delay product availability for an additional two months? RIM does not get anything except a lump of coal for yet another fumble. Thankfully, I live in Canada but goodness gracious what is Team BlackBerry thinking? Where was Frank Boulben, BlackBerry Chief Marketing Officer, today? BlackBerry is the new name for Research In Motion, the company with no clue. Maybe the US BlackBerry users will simply decide to dump BlackBerry smartphones and tablets as a protest and turn their collective back on the company; this would destroy BB share prices overnight. Karma is a b-itch.
    they already took a beating today...
    01-30-13 10:50 PM
    That's what I'd expect. Absolutely ridiculous.

Personally I wasn't thrilled with the launch, I found it dull. I guess that had a lot to do with knowing so much about BB10 and the Z10 ahead of time but I was seriously wishing for a "WOW!" moment that never came. Highlights for me:

Kevin getting his ponytail cut off! I called this the night before on Twitter. The only difference was I had TH doing the cutting.
    The X10 is now the Q10. I much prefer this name, some have suggested it's Q for QWERTY. Me, it's just a better sounding name.
    RIM is now BlackBerry! About freakin' time!
    Alicia Keys as whatevertitleshehas. This woman can do no wrong in my eyes, so back off!!!

I chatted to a Canadian journalist friend of mine who was at the NYC launch and he said that RIM BlackBerry nailed it. The only issue he saw was the US launch. He said this will look bad on RIM but it wasn't their fault at all. Apparently all the carriers in the US decided they would hold out for a better deal on the hardware than what the rest of the world was getting. RIM BlackBerry apparently put their foot down and said that there were NO exclusivity arrangements to be had, everyone was to pay more or less the same. After that the carriers supposedly slowed down negotiations putting RIM BlackBerry in a bind regarding inventory allocation. The carriers lost out, their allocation went to other carriers and other countries. They have nobody to blame but themselves.
    01-30-13 11:43 PM
    01-31-13 12:34 AM
    they already took a beating today...
    This was a big fumble. How about hosting the launch party in a country where you can release the gd phone?

Bloomberg, the OTHER BB company has an article ripping RIM apart on price point. The launch is nothing short of absurd.
    SK122387 likes this.
    01-31-13 01:00 AM
    Why wasn't Kevin made the creative director? That would have been the biggest surprise for Crackberry nation!

Thoughts on unveiling: Poorly managed event for what looks to be a great product, atleast they couldve put the HTML scores up.. However, this will all be forgotten soon and the product will speak for itself. Those of you who have the device in hand, do spread the word!
    01-31-13 01:19 AM
    It is definitely not on par with Steve jobs' iPhone launch event.
    Put bias aside, judge for yourself.

RIMM actually needed it more than Apple at that time. A big fumble.
    01-31-13 02:13 AM
    I actually like Thorsten's humble, sweet personality. I don't think he was the problem.
    The problem was a lack of demonstration. Blackberry keep harping on about how they are leading the pack in "mobile computing" but we didn't see anything that demonstrated what they were doing in that regard or how the two phones fit into this larger plan. It is this larger plan that had me excited.
    robkd likes this.
    01-31-13 03:28 AM
  16. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    the product looks and IS great! ... presentation aside.. the product will speak for itself.. and in the days ahead .. customers with BB10 will have their say! .... forget commentary from so called analysts .. and those upset with delay (USA) ... the product is amazing!
    01-31-13 03:42 AM
    A HUGE disappointment and from what their stock is doing, I was not alone!
    01-31-13 03:42 AM
    April is the release date in Australia for the Q10. A white Q10 is the most likely replacement for my 9800.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    robkd likes this.
    01-31-13 04:11 AM
    I was really disappointed!
    No prices, no release date except for UK an Canada!
    When is comming to Europe? I don't want to call each and every carrier, just give me a release date, damn!
    All in all it wasn't a great presentation, and I was really sad for this
    01-31-13 04:28 AM
    A HUGE disappointment and from what their stock is doing, I was not alone!
    Sorry but if you expected the presentation to make the stock jump, then you were wrong. The US launch date is what made it drop plus all of the shorts playing this damn stock.

That aside, I was hoping for a more wow factor and was underwhelmed but the mainstream media and people on social media seem to be really impressed.
    01-31-13 07:28 AM
    I was thinking this morning about the name change. I'm not so sure changing their name to Blackberry was a good idea...I'm thinking they should have ditched Blackberry and gone solely to RIM. Think about it...Blackberry no longer has the positive name recognition that it did 4-5 years ago. I think most people immediately think "stale, boring, outdated, slow" when they hear Blackberry. The change to RIM would have been the REAL shakeup move in my opinion.

01-31-13 07:45 AM
    Sorry but if you expected the presentation to make the stock jump, then you were wrong. The US launch date is what made it drop plus all of the shorts playing this damn stock.

That aside, I was hoping for a more wow factor and was underwhelmed but the mainstream media and people on social media seem to be really impressed.
    That's not what the analysts are saying and I am thinking.
    Yes, sold but if folks thought it would turn things around more would of bought then sold.
    The lose of any sales of the new phones in the US for the next month and a half will hurt them as well as it will lesson the total number of units sold. Thus less income from those sales.

Concerns about BB not having enough production capacity is also a concern. This is thought to be the real reason for the U.S. not being in the first wave.

BB has been working with carriers for years and new full well the time it takes for carrier certification. The idea it's the carriers fault simply is not correct. Period.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    01-31-13 07:49 AM
    That's not what the analysts are saying and I am thinking.
    Yes, sold but if folks thought it would turn things around more would of bought then sold.
    The lose of any sales of the new phones in the US for the next month and a half will hurt them as well as it will lesson the total number of units sold. Thus less income from those sales.

Concerns about BB not having enough production capacity is also a concern. This is thought to be the real reason for the U.S. not being in the first wave.

BB has been working with carriers for years and new full well the time it takes for carrier certification. The idea it's the carriers fault simply is not correct. Period.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    Agreed. I keep hearing people say "it's not BBs fault that the phone is not being released in the US"...that just makes me laugh. It's not like they haven't been working on the phone for two years and had ample time to make this happen. People act as if a third party came along and forced BB to release the phone yesterday and they had no say in the matter.

JeepBB likes this.
    01-31-13 07:59 AM
    Agreed. I keep hearing people say "it's not BBs fault that the phone is not being released in the US"...that just makes me laugh. It's not like they haven't been working on the phone for two years and had ample time to make this happen. People act as if a third party came along and forced BB to release the phone yesterday and they had no say in the matter.

I never said it wasn't BB's fault. I think it is their fault for the US delay. I was simply saying that the media was positive about BB10.
    01-31-13 08:06 AM
    I think it has to be the carriers fault. I dont think that UK carriers had the devices any longer than for example ATT in the US. Its just that some carriers take a very long time to "test" the devices.
    01-31-13 08:07 AM
173 ... 4567