Ouch.. That means for someone like me who takes his phone off the charger at 5am mine would be dead by 2ish..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah it will be like all the Android phones before they started putting batteries in them the size of Pop Tarts.

No but seriously. Yeah there are some bad comments about the battery life (The Verge). OS7 is night and day better on this than it was at release. But RIM can't F around here. They need the optimizations done now.
    01-30-13 03:17 PM
    I agree with many of you on here that today's presentation was a little underwhelming. I know that I was hyped to the MAX over the last few months, so I'm not sure anything could have lived up quite to my expectations... That being said I still found Thor to be a little uncomfortable looking, almost as if he was unprepared for it. At one point he asked Vivek "What shall we show next?" and that kind of threw me off, like he was nervous :P. I loved Vivek's demonstration of the phone, including the BBM Video Chat with screen share, and the Story Maker was pretty impressive too. I was disappointed that they didn't show off the voice control feature, perhaps it's not ready?

Now, the hardware looked GREAT! I think the product speaks for itself, the OS was super smooth and fast, and even the Q10 looked better than I expected it to look. I'm still sold on it, and I really really hope that BlackBerry 10 is a success because all of the major apps that are still missing will get on board. It can only get better, and it's already AMAZING!

The Alicia Keys thing was a bit confusing but I think we'll get a better idea of what her role will be in the next few months. It's nice to see her on board!

My 2 cents....
    01-30-13 03:20 PM
    What her role is? Really? She's product placement. She's paid to be in advertisements and use blackberries in public, just like any other celebrity endorsement. they didn't actually hire her to run part of the corporation....
    m1a1mg likes this.
    01-30-13 03:23 PM
    Phone corporations aren't high school cliques. Even if their were a vast American media conspiracy, even if it were coalition with solidarity (all extremely dubious claims), that would not mean:
    1.RIM....a CORPORATION should try to take some personal or emotional vengeance
    2.that it should make it's American CUSTOMERS suffer for it

The US is a critical market if there ever was one. The delay is THE huge mistake made today. Frankly, IF there was NO possible way to get earlier release, then they would have been better off announcing later as well.
    You're absolutely right, BlackBerry is a Corporation that has an obligation to turn a profit.

That being said, here in the States, Carriers determine when phone are released, not the manufacturers. Which is also partly effected by the US Government (FCC) and their putting any phone to be used here in the states through its paces. They needed to get the phone into people's hands as quickly as possible.

If the UK can sell phone tomorrow, then so be it. Announce today and let the Queen's Subjects buy them up like fish and chips on a Friday. (Cheers to my British Cousins! )

And of course, they have to cover Home, so the Great White North is bound to sell any number of these phones quickly. I'm envious of my Candian Cousin.

So you'll excuse me for not agreeing. Selling in other nations is actually a brilliant strategic move. I'm sure the Armchair CEOs on this board will disagree, but the fact of the matter remains: BlackBerry Has phones to sell and the Brits have the world's most valuable currency, so I'm going to bet this was a strategic move to get their phones out.

I'm miffed I can't get one tomorrow, but I get the strategy.
    01-30-13 03:32 PM
    Considering he concluded with "BAD STUFF: Battery life is a serious concern" I don't think the 8-9 hours of battery life is from constant use. The test period would have had him replace his usual phone with the BB10 device and using that instead, not spending all day using the phone specifically. I'll wait for Anandtech to get their hands on one as they do battery testing right but so far no one has come out saying the battery life is excellent.
    That is very concerning. I am due for a phone upgrade in a month, and it's things like this I will be watching for real world reports on before I decide what direction to go.
    01-30-13 03:36 PM
    It means, sometime in the future, they made an agreement to have an app on BB10. No details other than that.
    you and mtblanc are right to question this though. "commited" in the tech world means...."not commited". Commited in the tech world is: look, here's the nearly complete product, and it will come out in X! In that state, X may still be delayed 3 times, and the final product may still be buggy but it will probably come out.

Just "committed"....welll....that could mean anything, eg
    -it will be out shortly
    -we're going to start development on it
    -we're going to start development slowly while we watch to see if it's worth it
    -we decided it's not worth it...so here's a really buggy copy...don't expect any updates
    -we decided it's not worth it....so we'll just drag our feet for 7 extra months until nobody cares
    -we decided it's not worth it....so press release:"due to unexpected difficulties we will not be releasing X but remain supportive of the platform and hope to bring future versions...."

so yes....never buy any tech on vague promises for the future. The tech industry is probably the absolute worst offender when it comes to broken promises. RIM has done it to consumers, and MS would do it to RIM in a second, if they felt it was no longer in their interest.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-30-13 03:48 PM
    Well, according to spec sheets that are up:

Battery
    Capacity: 1800 mAh
    Talk time – up to 10 hours (3G)
    Standby time – up to 305 hours (3G)
    Audio playback – up to 60 hours
    Video playback – up to 11 hours

I'm waiting to see what the CB crew has to say about battery life. From my experience following this site for the past months, I trust their review.

Who's also expecting an OS update shortly after Feb 5th release? There may be one. I'm sure the launch doesn't mean they've stopped improving the OS. Also, it's clear that BB reads posts on here, so voice your opinions and help them improve the 1st gen OS to your/our satisfaction.
    Willie Ray likes this.
    01-30-13 03:52 PM
    It's not good that me, a non-insider knows a lot more about BB10 than the people who were at the launch today and didn't know everything before hand. I have never said this before, but they definitely should have taken a page out of Apple's book when it comes to product launches.

First of all, The Z10 should be available for preorder even in the US already. I don't think they showed off a single app besides the Remember app. They didn't show BB Travel, Password Keeper, Maps, Facebook, Twitter, the Clock, Calculator, Calendar, Protect, voice notes, NFC, Compass, Docs to Go, Wallet, Wikitude, or just how the OS operates with moving apps, making folders, renaming apps, hiding apps, etc....

They didn't show ANYTHING that wasn't already shown off 20 times already! They announced certain apps, but didn't take the time to show them. BlackBerry dropped the ball this morning. This was a chance to make a statement about the newly rebranded company and the new and exciting way in which it will operate, and it failed big time. I am still going to wait for BB10, but for the first time since May, I am doubting that BlackBerry has what it takes to become a real player again.
    Darlaten likes this.
    01-30-13 03:56 PM
    You're absolutely right, BlackBerry is a Corporation that has an obligation to turn a profit.

That being said, here in the States, Carriers determine when phone are released, not the manufacturers. Which is also partly effected by the US Government (FCC) and their putting any phone to be used here in the states through its paces. They needed to get the phone into people's hands as quickly as possible.

If the UK can sell phone tomorrow, then so be it. Announce today and let the Queen's Subjects buy them up like fish and chips on a Friday. (Cheers to my British Cousins! )

And of course, they have to cover Home, so the Great White North is bound to sell any number of these phones quickly. I'm envious of my Candian Cousin.

So you'll excuse me for not agreeing. Selling in other nations is actually a brilliant strategic move. I'm sure the Armchair CEOs on this board will disagree, but the fact of the matter remains: BlackBerry Has phones to sell and the Brits have the world's most valuable currency, so I'm going to bet this was a strategic move to get their phones out.

I'm miffed I can't get one tomorrow, but I get the strategy.
    I think that's a fair point, and one i thought of as well....would I want to sit on the phones if they could be released in other countries? You certainly could argue either way. To be honest though, Canada is, quite frankly, meaningless here. The market just isn't big enough (it's not like people haven't turned away from BB in droves there either....some Candians, and some Canadian media are jingoistic about it, but the truth is, it's more lip service than anything. Sales in Canada are poor, despite Canadian punters declaring BB the only phone for them on forums/comments) - a proverbial drop in the bucket. The US is such a critical market, it pays to hit it with maximum impact. In any case....I still found that THE single biggest problem today. Of course, I've always been up front in saying that I do not believe BB10 will save the company anyways, so in that sense, it doesn't make any difference. I am sure we will disagree on that as well, but we shall see. Now,...I personally see even fewer options.
    01-30-13 03:56 PM
    What her role is? Really? She's product placement. She's paid to be in advertisements and use blackberries in public, just like any other celebrity endorsement. they didn't actually hire her to run part of the corporation....
    Except she truly is qualified for the role they described for her. She is beyond brilliant and will without a doubt help BB10. Some endorsements are just that, endorsements. This goes beyond that and really hit the nail on the head.
    01-30-13 04:03 PM
    Poorly executed.

Alicia Keys? Come on.

March for USA? Come on.

Get it together RIM...errr I mean BlackBerry.
    Alicia is attractive but does the company need another director-level position? Alicia might be eye-candy for the stuffed shirts in corporate boardrooms but aside from her physical assets what does she bring to the table? I hope she negotiated a multi-million dollar contract that excludes any pole dancing or walking on the boardroom table.
    Willie Ray likes this.
    01-30-13 04:04 PM
    Well, according to spec sheets that are up:

Battery
    Capacity: 1800 mAh
    Talk time – up to 10 hours (3G)
    Standby time – up to 305 hours (3G)
    Audio playback – up to 60 hours
    Video playback – up to 11 hours

I'm waiting to see what the CB crew has to say about battery life. From my experience following this site for the past months, I trust their review.

Who's also expecting an OS update shortly after Feb 5th release? There may be one. I'm sure the launch doesn't mean they've stopped improving the OS. Also, it's clear that BB reads posts on here, so voice your opinions and help them improve the 1st gen OS to your/our satisfaction.
    These are the official numbers on Apple's website for the iPhone 5:

Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
    Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter
    Talk time: Up to 8 hours on 3G
    Standby time: Up to 225 hours
    Internet use: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi
    Video playback: Up to 10 hours
    Audio playback: Up to 40 hours
    01-30-13 04:10 PM
    My questions of the day. Do you think Kevin wants his pony tail back?? I would if I was him, he gave all, they gave 50% at best!"
    Kevin should have waited until after the presentation before deciding to allow his ponytail to be cut-off. He even said the future Mrs. CrackBerry liked his long hair now.
    01-30-13 04:15 PM
    The battery average drain rate based on average everyday use by business people like myself will be the biggest determining factor as to whether I jump on it or not. If I can, in the end, unplug it at 6am, use it all day as normally do, and still have battery left when I put it on the charger at 11pm--I'm an owner-though may wait for the the Q with the physical keyboard or hopefully a slider by spring.
    01-30-13 04:22 PM
    I know that we in the USA are kinda given the cold shoulder, but I think that this big difference shows that this company is actually starting to get it.
    Are you stupid or an apologist? Thorsten chose the premier launch event to be hosted in New York City yet allowed the wireless carriers to delay product availability for an additional two months? RIM does not get anything except a lump of coal for yet another fumble. Thankfully, I live in Canada but goodness gracious what is Team BlackBerry thinking? Where was Frank Boulben, BlackBerry Chief Marketing Officer, today? BlackBerry is the new name for Research In Motion, the company with no clue. Maybe the US BlackBerry users will simply decide to dump BlackBerry smartphones and tablets as a protest and turn their collective back on the company; this would destroy BB share prices overnight. Karma is a b-itch.
    rnhld and jegs2 like this.
    01-30-13 04:24 PM
    I didn't think Kevin wanted it cut off. I thought they sort of pushed it on him.
    BTW, where is he? Seems to have gone silent.

Tim
    Kevin is having the ponytail reattached after the failure that was supposed to be the rebirth of BlackBerry. He should have waited until the BlackBerry 10 Reveal Event ended before making any decision about a haircut.
    01-30-13 04:32 PM
    I though it was borderline terrible. But anybody who's been following over the last few months would also know more than Joe Q. Public. We were destined to be underwhelmed. I'll reserve judgement though, until I start seeing the marketing campaign. That's where they'll get to regular people. It was most us geeks and nerds watching today.
    01-30-13 04:34 PM
    The Verge review on YouTube today said battery life was average if not below average. He took it off charger at 9a and was dead by 6p I believe is what he said.
    Ouch.

My 9930 can go two days without charging, and that's with me using it as a music player during PT.
    01-30-13 04:50 PM
    I thought it was a little shaky off and on, but overall good. Thor killed it at BB World in May, but I wouldn't say the same today. Of course now I am sad about the complaining and whining from all the americans on the delay. Just buy it unlocked tomorrow, use your upgrade in march, sell the phone. Done.

I was secretly hoping for something BB7 related....don't know what, just something or some feature that would spark life into the legacy OS, one last time.
    01-30-13 04:53 PM
    Now, some of you may think that this is a rant, because I have Blackberry stocks, and the stocks have gone down a lot. Yes, I did have stocks (sold them), and acknowledge that the stock could have plunged regardless of how the presentation was delivered.

I am a Blackberry user (9000 and 9900), and am excited about BB10. Give a preorder link for the US, and I would have preordered one unsubsidized. However, I am less convinced to get the Z10 as my next phone after the event. I like the BBM video, time shift, hub, gesture based keyboard, and everything else about BB10. However, the overall impression that I get about "Blackberry" as the company has diminished. Perhaps, my expectations are more ambitious, than the company's are.

To me, the Blackberry event was a disappointment. They sabotaged their persona, and momentum. They allow people to absorb, and entertain the idea that this is just a hyped Blackberry event. And they allow more time for existing users, and potential users to think twice about getting the new phones, instead of "making" them decide to get the new phones by making them available in the other 6 cities as immediate as UK and Canada. Yes, yes, in the US, carriers decide the release time--this is more of an excuse as valid as it is.

There was nothing that was comparable to doing the Muhammad Ali thing in round 8. How could they waste the chance of launching a product in 8 different locations worldwide with this kind of delivery? How are those years of experience of the executive management team used seriously? It seemed as if the event was as only a "plus version" of "Blackberry Jam. The presentation contains 90% of what has been known, and anticipated. Yet other important yet basic items that has been known were not mentioned--processor, resolution, battery life, HDMI, micro USB, NFC, LTE, camera resolution, etc.

Mentioning that Skype, and other popular apps are committed to BB10 is not enough. Even IM+ can get Skype with chat functionality, at least, to the Playbook. Mentioning that Angry Birds is available is not going to swept the audience to buy the phones. In addition, making Alicia Keys as the global creative director is a questionable move. Showing a video presentation with Robert Rodriguez, and whoever those other "famous" people are is not enough to make people understand what the "Keep Moving" project is. Why didn't they spend more time to educate people about QNX, and how it is used as a crucial OS of important infrastructures? This would have shown the audience the great technology for real time mobile applications in the Blackberry phones that they are considering to buy.

Yes, Thorsten is the CEO, but he should have done what Tim Cook did last summer--talk concisely, disappear, let others present, re-appear to close. ****, let Vivek do 90% of the presentation.

I don't want Apple, Google, or Samsung to gain more market share. I want Blackberry to be as popular as it was, especially in the US. But, if this is how Blackberry plans to execute their other items in the agenda with the $1 billion marketing budget, then this is the beginning of the end. One crucial thing that could bail Blackberry out of this failure is how consumers respond to the new phones.

Overall, the event was a grade C- presentation with only a few short moments of greatness to do justice for the brand, product, and loyal users.
    01-30-13 04:59 PM
    So many thoughts.......
    First I have to say that I was kinda hoping all the leaks were off base. The Z10 is very cookie cutter looking in today's mobile space. Secondly, why have a global unveiling if you're not going to announce concrete availibility and pricing. Not that carrier terms are on BB, they should have had a understanding with carriers before today. Third, not being able to touch or "handle" the Q10 at a release is just not well thought out and counterintuitive to what the company is trying to accomposlish.

Other stuff that I was disappointed with:
    Lack of PlayBook talk, look anyone who follows mobile tech knows that the PB launch was horrible, however the quality of the hardware cannot be denied. QNX is awesome. Not mentioning the PB is just a huge missed opportunity. Tablet will continue to grow and BB has already done the hardware legwork. They needed to build upon what they have already done.

Nothing I saw today makes me feel like I have to get a bb10 device right away (not that I could)

The app thing just makes me mad. They have had so much time.

I'm not dropping my bb by any means. But if this is how the future is gonna go, it seems that eventually I will have to choose between ios and droid. Both those choices I find less than desirable.

Sad Day.
    Last edited by soulbat25; 01-30-13 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Spelling error
    01-30-13 05:11 PM
    Personally I wasn't thrilled with the launch, I found it dull. I guess that had a lot to do with knowing so much about BB10 and the Z10 ahead of time but I was seriously wishing for a "WOW!" moment that never came. Highlights for me:

Kevin getting his ponytail cut off! I called this the night before on Twitter. The only difference was I had TH doing the cutting.
    The X10 is now the Q10. I much prefer this name, some have suggested it's Q for QWERTY. Me, it's just a better sounding name.
    RIM is now BlackBerry! About freakin' time!
    Alicia Keys as whatevertitleshehas. This woman can do no wrong in my eyes, so back off!!!

I chatted to a Canadian journalist friend of mine who was at the NYC launch and he said that RIM BlackBerry nailed it. The only issue he saw was the US launch. He said this will look bad on RIM but it wasn't their fault at all. Apparently all the carriers in the US decided they would hold out for a better deal on the hardware than what the rest of the world was getting. RIM BlackBerry apparently put their foot down and said that there were NO exclusivity arrangements to be had, everyone was to pay more or less the same. After that the carriers supposedly slowed down negotiations putting RIM BlackBerry in a bind regarding inventory allocation. The carriers lost out, their allocation went to other carriers and other countries. They have nobody to blame but themselves.
    oilgeo10 likes this.
    01-30-13 05:11 PM
    I chatted to a Canadian journalist friend of mine who was at the NYC launch and he said that RIM BlackBerry nailed it. The only issue he saw was the US launch. He said this will look bad on RIM but it wasn't their fault at all. Apparently all the carriers in the US decided they would hold out for a better deal on the hardware than what the rest of the world was getting. RIM BlackBerry apparently put their foot down and said that there were NO exclusivity arrangements to be had, everyone was to pay more or less the same. After that the carriers supposedly slowed down negotiations putting RIM BlackBerry in a bind regarding inventory allocation. The carriers lost out, their allocation went to other carriers and other countries. They have nobody to blame but themselves.
    That's interesting. I suppose that RIM had limited negotiating leverage given their current market share in the US. Will be interesting to see if it was the right decision there, but I suppose that any comeback would have always taken place outside of the US first.
    01-30-13 05:26 PM
    The NYC launch felt more like an unveiling for the old java BlackBerryOS v10, rather than QNX BlackBerry10 v1.
    01-30-13 05:30 PM
    That's interesting. I suppose that RIM had limited negotiating leverage given their current market share in the US. Will be interesting to see if it was the right decision there, but I suppose that any comeback would have always taken place outside of the US first.
    And we, the US customer is left to suffer! AT&T is the worst but I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan with them so what's a guy to do? I don't have an upgrade available until around April so hopefully they will be out by then-LOL! Meanwhile my 9810 is working perfectly-running .746 and thinking about a hybrid-
    01-30-13 05:34 PM
173 ... 34567