As soon as I see a reasonable post from someone who actually knows what they are talking about, I will leave this thread to the wanna-seem-experts with some pretty low post counts.

There were no "mishaps" and. As soon as your so-called "Apple friends" want to call names just remind them of the iPhone 5 battery & map fail. More than "little mistakes" & their customers really don't forgive them for it.
    Not to get into any confrontation, but I do know what I'm talking about. I know a professional presentation when I see one and give one. I was just saying that after all the wait, all the build-up, all the expectations, this was a let down. Thanks.
    trsbbs and JeepBB like this.
    01-30-13 01:56 PM
    Get it together RIM...errr I mean BlackBerry.
    I think this was the WOW factor a name change.
    bquinney likes this.
    01-30-13 01:58 PM
    I found it highly underwhelming as a product launch. It seemed like it was thought out at the last moment and based on a few slides. Someone really needs to teach these guys HOW to excite a crowd when this is your moment in the sun. That said, there is no way CNBC should be running a question of "Blackberry 10" Stud or Dud?" on a day like today. With all that we, as supporters, have seen, this should have blown the socks off anyone who was watching.

Also, a March U.S. release sucks, so does Sprint's decision to only carry the Q10.
    01-30-13 02:03 PM
    To be honest I thought it was terrible! I could go on but this seems to be the general view of a lot of people on CB. I guess I had too high of an expectation with what BB was bring to market. Unless they show something special soon, it might be a too little too late I'm afraid. I am a huge BB fan!
    01-30-13 02:07 PM
    I found it highly underwhelming as a product launch. It seemed like it was thought out at the last moment and based on a few slides. Someone really needs to teach these guys HOW to excite a crowd when this is your moment in the sun. That said, there is no way CNBC should be running a question of "Blackberry 10" Stud or Dud?" on a day like today. With all that we, as supporters, have seen, this should have blown the socks off anyone who was watching.

Also, a March U.S. release sucks, so does Sprint's decision to only carry the Q10.
    Absolutely, they didn't even pack the room with some at least supporters who would cheer and applaud when Thor said something. Cords hanging from the devices, 2 on the 1 from London if I am remembering correctly. Blazing fast browser was never shown. KILLED us with the US launch date to dead silence in the room. Him waiting for the applause after the applause line and getting no or a very tepid applause was awkward. Alicia Keys, great, but she took up time they could have used to point out other features or mention BB10 on PB or something else. It seemed contrived and like they were showing her off, not the phone. Did I mention no browser demo...? It could have been so much more, instead it fell flat. Not a disaster, but not a home run or even a triple, maybe a ground rule double.

My questions of the day. Do you think Kevin wants his pony tail back?? I would if I was him, he gave all, they gave 50% at best!"
    01-30-13 02:10 PM
    One big thing that I would like to point out and emphasize. For certain aspects, this company is starting to get IT.

If the Co-CEO's were still in charge, this press conference would have taken place last January, killing all momentum by the time it actually releases. Right now, everyone is talking about BB10, and in the UK and Canada, these devices can be had by next week. Great strategy.

I know that we in the USA are kinda given the cold shoulder, but I think that this big difference shows that this company is actually starting to get it.

Yes, there were some negatives associated with this event. Okay, quite a few. But there was a lot of positive to take away from this, including at least the start of a transformation from old RIM.
    OMGitworks likes this.
    01-30-13 02:11 PM
    Everyone who posts here (including myself) most likely have followed BB10 evolution for months, so we've seen more than what the average consumers have. That is the problem for us here. I admit I wasn't impressed with the presentation that much; I feel it could have been better coordinated and conducted but that's my opinion - and possibly an ignorant or naive opinion as I have never seen Apple's or Microsoft's launch presentations, so I can't really compare if it's any better or any worse. Those who can make such a comparison, please let us hear your opinions.

I guess we all expected a big explosion with fighter jet fly-bys and fireworks because so much is depending on the success of this launch. But maybe, just maybe, the presentation was good enough for what it was meant to do - introduce the new devices and a new direction for BB. Also, we might have expected a lot of bling to be announced (that's often associated with iPhone) or big specs (associated with Samsung/Android) but really BB is all about work/business/and...for people who get things done. For that purpose, the presentation may be good enough.

Putting aside that underwhelming feeling I got from the presentation (probably a fault of my own for looking at all the leaks and following this subject for so long) and divert my attention to the idea of actually playing with the new device and BB10 OS for real this time, I find my excitement to recover a bit. Once I get the device in my hands and start using it, the excitement may just return. Holding that train of thought, I look forward to getting the Z10 and how it will help me with my daily life.

So put the presentation aside, go out and give BB10 a chance with your own hands and let the world know how good the OS really is - that is where it truly counts.
    npisano, ubizmo and revtech like this.
    01-30-13 02:11 PM
    After watching, they both sent me messages telling me thanks for wasting their morning...haha. They thought the unveil looked amateurish (at best), and BB looked like they just changed the way you access information for the sake of changing it...no real advantage to what they currently have.
    I watched the unveil with a variety of iOS and Android users this morning at work. For a lot of these individuals, the presentation starting going down-hill prior to the presentation actually starting. No offense to Kevin, but the whole "hair-cut scene" was openly ridiculed and mocked. For a company that is literally fighting to stay relevant, the hair-cut scene was interpreted as a sign that RIM was woefully ill-prepared to announce the new platform today; that the presentation would be amateurish at best; and that RIM doesn't have confidence in its own products so they had to resort to wasting time on showing, and I quote, "some dude getting a haircut when the whole da** world only wants to see the phone in action!". Sadly, these initial impressions carried through the presentation, e.g., "Where's the applause?" "That seemed forced" "Thorsten seems tired and not particularly thrilled with what he is showing", "So is this actually a phone or a miniature tablet?"

Where they were impressed, was with the presentation made by Vik (sp? - I always get his name wrong). His manner, description, enthusiasm, and ability to present while demonstrating the phones was received quite enthusiastically. Most of the people that I was watching with said that RIM should have had him up for the whole presentation outlining the features of the phone as was more captivating than Thorsten and was seen to be honestly proud of the work that was done in building BB10.

In any event, at least with the people I work with, I don't think anyone was convinced by today's presentation. Disappointing to say the least.
    JeepBB and jegs2 like this.
    01-30-13 02:14 PM
    I..BUT, as I said in ANOTHER thread, I can't blame BB for flippin' the finger to the US....the media here has done EVERYTHING it can to make owners of a BB jokes, embarrassments, "uncool" and all the other nonsense they've done for four years.
    Phone corporations aren't high school cliques. Even if their were a vast American media conspiracy, even if it were coalition with solidarity (all extremely dubious claims), that would not mean:
    1.RIM....a CORPORATION should try to take some personal or emotional vengeance
    2.that it should make it's American CUSTOMERS suffer for it

The US is a critical market if there ever was one. The delay is THE huge mistake made today. Frankly, IF there was NO possible way to get earlier release, then they would have been better off announcing later as well.
    01-30-13 02:19 PM
    Honest question here; do the folks at Blackberry HQ read these forums?? Just wondering...
    01-30-13 02:20 PM
    I would like to know where the rest of the $1 Billion in marketing is going? It certainly was not in the launch!
    01-30-13 02:20 PM
    To change the subject a little, I wonder what the charge/run times are on this phone considering it is truly a SmartPhone and is running everything constantly. There are so many threads on here that it may have been addressed but I haven't seen it before--only the 10hrs of talk time. Just curious if anyone has noticed anything about it. Battery drain from apps running in the 7.1 and down OS's has always been a huge problem.
    01-30-13 02:26 PM
    I watched it live as well and thought the whole thing was pretty bad am I'm a fan! The whole thing reminded me of a college marketing class project which was O.K. but certainly not a polished professional presentation!!
    01-30-13 02:29 PM
    my thoughts are the phones are more than id hope they be, but not being able to get one till march bothers me, and the fact that sprint will only carry the Q10, sent me over the edge a bit. but there is no doubt that I will get the phone I want , and it will be worth it in the end.
    01-30-13 02:31 PM
    To change the subject a little, I wonder what the charge/run times are on this phone considering it is truly a SmartPhone and is running everything constantly. There are so many threads on here that it may have been addressed but I haven't seen it before--only the 10hrs of talk time. Just curious if anyone has noticed anything about it. Battery drain from apps running in the 7.1 and down OS's has always been a huge problem.
    The Verge review on YouTube today said battery life was average if not below average. He took it off charger at 9a and was dead by 6p I believe is what he said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    go1ndr likes this.
    01-30-13 02:33 PM
    The Verge review on YouTube today said battery life was average if not below average. He took it off charger at 9a and was dead by 6p I believe is what he said.

Ouch.. That means for someone like me who takes his phone off the charger at 5am mine would be dead by 2ish..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    01-30-13 02:47 PM
    At least it has a removable battery. Some phones dont. Can always buy another. Now I wish the battery was the small square for people to carry easy in their pocket lol
    01-30-13 02:59 PM
    If what the guy wrote is right (not the timing, what he says about the device), this basically means he's been testing it all along ... 9hrs of testing usage ... average ?
    01-30-13 03:02 PM
    All the capabilities of the HUB are amazing. But I can see where they would consume alot of processing power and battery life. What if I don't want to know what my contact is tweeting or posting on FB, can i turn those features off - if all I want is his street address do I have to get everything?
    01-30-13 03:05 PM
    Toronto Star reporter said his lasted much longer than the IP5
    hpjrt likes this.
    01-30-13 03:06 PM
    Absolutely, they didn't even pack the room with some at least supporters who would cheer and applaud when Thor said something. Cords hanging from the devices, 2 on the 1 from London if I am remembering correctly. Blazing fast browser was never shown. KILLED us with the US launch date to dead silence in the room. Him waiting for the applause after the applause line and getting no or a very tepid applause was awkward. Alicia Keys, great, but she took up time they could have used to point out other features or mention BB10 on PB or something else. It seemed contrived and like they were showing her off, not the phone. Did I mention no browser demo...? It could have been so much more, instead it fell flat. Not a disaster, but not a home run or even a triple, maybe a ground rule double.

My questions of the day. Do you think Kevin wants his pony tail back?? I would if I was him, he gave all, they gave 50% at best!"
    I didn't think Kevin wanted it cut off. I thought they sort of pushed it on him.
    BTW, where is he? Seems to have gone silent.

Tim
    01-30-13 03:07 PM
    Thanks for the thoughts on this and the info. This is a huge concern for those of us using our phones for business-especially since the phone is never closing the apps that we are using.This is a huge PLUS for the BB10--being able to keep pdfs, apps, etc open while switching effortlessly back and forth but it is also a huge battery hog. The single biggest reason for all the hybrids being built on the 7.1 and below OSs is battery drain. Heck, just look at how many apps are out there to detect what app is running and what is draining the batteries. BB even put Application Resource Monitor on it's 7.1.6xx and up OSs just for this reason.
    Android had this problem too when it first came out, due to the newer smartphones using so much more power to run the phones. They have an "app killer" application that you download to kill the apps when you are done using them. I too take my BB Torch-9810 off the charger around 5:30am and currently still have around 45% left at 11pm at night when I put it back on the charger. I send and receive maybe 200+ emails and texts a day and use the phone for other jobs as well. If this new phone is dead by 6pm, then that is going to be a huge problem and one that dominates the threads for a long time to come. Wonder how long it will be before we see hybrids for this OS as well?
    01-30-13 03:09 PM
    I would like to know where the rest of the $1 Billion in marketing is going? It certainly was not in the launch!
    Alicia Keyes' salary, stock options, and bonus.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-30-13 03:09 PM
    If what the guy wrote is right (not the timing, what he says about the device), this basically means he's been testing it all along ... 9hrs of testing usage ... average ?
    Considering he concluded with "BAD STUFF: Battery life is a serious concern" I don't think the 8-9 hours of battery life is from constant use. The test period would have had him replace his usual phone with the BB10 device and using that instead, not spending all day using the phone specifically. I'll wait for Anandtech to get their hands on one as they do battery testing right but so far no one has come out saying the battery life is excellent.
    01-30-13 03:10 PM
    This is purely anecdotal, but I have two older brothers (three actually, but one is not in to tech at all), one owns an iPhone 4 and the other a Galaxy S2. The S2 owner is an attorney and all business and owned a BB Curve for a couple years before landing on the S2. The iPhone brother had Android before landing on the iPhone and is pretty happy with his phone. I got both of them to watch the unveil this morning, as they are both honest and would switch platforms if they saw something that peaked their interest.

After watching, they both sent me messages telling me thanks for wasting their morning...haha. They thought the unveil looked amateurish (at best), and BB looked like they just changed the way you access information for the sake of changing it...no real advantage to what they currently have.

Say what you will, but I think these are the people that BB would really like to sway from their current platform to BB and they failed miserably. Of course this is only a story of two people, but the fact that they both were not even remotely interested says something I do believe.

Perhaps. All that will matter is what the salesperson does when folks walk into the Verizon and AT&T stores. That's the life or death of this as far as consumers go.
    01-30-13 03:14 PM
173 ... 23456 ...