I liked the presentation. I didn't like the delay of the US release, of course, but I thought the presentation was fine. It showed what the platform is capable of, and named a number of key apps that people want. Obviously some apps are still missing, but I thought the overall vibe of the launch was good. Maybe my standards are too low, but I don't expect a smartphone launch to rock my world; it's just supposed to get the word out in a strong and vivid way, and I think it succeeded on those terms. The intended audience isn't "CrackBerry insiders" who have been devouring titbits of leaked information for months. We're pretty much impossible to impress. It's for people who don't know what BB has been up to or what they're bringing to market. I think it was well done, with that audience in mind.
    southlander and 7thedon7 like this.
    01-30-13 12:41 PM
    Random collected thoughts from the presentation:

1. I didn't care that Neftlix wasn't there. I don't need to watch Netflix on a 4 inch screen, no bother to me.
    2. Some of the phrases that Thor and company used sent chills down my spine. Having Skype and other big named apps "Committed" sounded like previous promises of "coming soon", "60 days", etc. I'll never buy another BlackBerry device based on potential ever again.
    3. The hardware, design, and software look pretty outstanding. Looks very smooth and fast.
    4. I don't see that "It" factor. If I have Android, iOS, or Windows 8, what makes me switch to BB10? I just don't see that must have factor.
    Admorris, JeepBB, mikeo007 and 4 others like this.
    01-30-13 12:42 PM
    As a show it was underwhelming. They could have done with a planted section of the audience whooping and hollering Apple-style (not suggesting that Apple audiences are planted, but they are preaching to the converted iFaithfull rather than a roomful of BB sceptics). The connectivity theme was very important but a bit laboured. But I am very pleased with what came out of it, and had I not been a Crackberry addict forwarned of all the new features and developments, I would have come away impressed. Damn, I *am* impressed, and it has done nothing to change my mind about wanting to a) stay with BlackBerry and b) buy a Z10 right now.
    01-30-13 12:43 PM
    4. I don't see that "It" factor. If I have Android, iOS, or Windows 8, what makes me switch to BB10? I just don't see that must have factor.
    IMO, that's the biggest challenge. How will BB woo folks away from already dominant platforms? What in the presentation would make them want to dump one of the popular smartphone brands and start over with BB?
    balding1 likes this.
    01-30-13 12:44 PM
    yyyaaawwwnnn,,, huh??? wha??? did something happen today???
    01-30-13 12:44 PM
    I think underlying the day was the belief that all of the releases were controlled trying to bring a crescendo to today's unveiling where we would get a thing or two they held back for today, and the guy on cymbals missed his cue, or they thought Skype and some of the other apps was it.

I remain surprised no discussion of the voice search, I thought the camera demonstration was underwhelming, and a stuttered release over a long period from today until the keyboard is out in major markets - that took some of the air out of the balloon here in the States.

We will have to live vicariously through the rest of the world for as much as two more months, maybe longer if you want the physical keyboard? That's not what we here were hoping for today....
    00stryder likes this.
    01-30-13 12:48 PM
    I'm glad I didn't get out of bed early to watch this. Thorsten having to prompt the audience for applause was cringe-worthy.

They didn't show anything we haven't seen before. What were those office apps we saw on the screen?
    01-30-13 12:49 PM
    So what were the BIG surprises that they announced? Everyone was saying they would "wow" us with something big, so i'm just curious what it was?
    Skype + availability tomorrow in UK + 5th Feb in CAN + BBM video
    Not that bad.
    01-30-13 12:49 PM
    I think we only had the top of the iceberg here.
    Remember : this is a media-oriented unveiling. A LOT of things are going to append until the end tonight; private demos, devices distribution ... this is going to have a massive impact all over the media.
    Many points have not been touched during the presentation but get ready to see them fully exposed as soon as ... now (some press obviously had the devices and OS to write down their demos and previews prior to the official event).

Now if you ask me about the performance ... I found Vivek fantastic, enthusiast, sharp and clear.
    And my "after the battle" thoughts ? Well, maybe this shouldn't have been broadcasted live.
    01-30-13 12:55 PM
    Lots of crackberry will be unimpressed, thats expected. We imagine what others cant. But this was a great unvealing for everybody else. You watch, the camera alone will sell the device.

Ask yourself, what is so good about the galaxy s3 that makes your average 20 year old girl say its amazing i want to get one over an iphone5. Thers nothing, absolutely no reason. They have no basis on there decision, its mind boggling but the average person is dumb and buys whats on the big fancy poster.
    01-30-13 12:58 PM
    Some people are never satisfied. Some people like to moan for the sake of hearing their own whines.
    Overall I think your observation is valid, BUT there are some very glaring omissions and legitimate concerns expressed here that go beyond just "griping" or "whining".
    Here is a list from FSeverino of legitimate and significant things that were conspicuous by their absence . . .
    No time with the Q10 (I would change this to very little, and nothing of substance)
    ZERO browser time (is this not a main feature)
    Fastest demos ever for pretty much everything else
    Flat crowd
    No emphasis on sd card or hdmi (they were mentioned, just like the amazing browser)
    No demo of Docs-to-Go or Print-to-Go
    How does the file structure work?
    No Maps demo
    Werent we supposed to have a 'siri'?
    BlackBerry Link???
    Did they mention 4G/LTE?
    Why not show how the phones integrate with cars?
    They didnt show the 'wake' up feature with sliding your finger over certain parts of the screen
    WHERE WAS Alec Saunders???
    jegs2, JeepBB, bquinney and 5 others like this.
    01-30-13 12:59 PM
    #BlackBerry10 has Skype, Amazon Kindle, Angry Birds and Whatsapp committed
    what does committed mean? or how soon is committed?
    01-30-13 01:03 PM
    what does committed mean? or how soon is committed?
    It means, sometime in the future, they made an agreement to have an app on BB10. No details other than that.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-30-13 01:04 PM
    I think we only had the top of the iceberg here.
    Remember : this is a media-oriented unveiling. A LOT of things are going to append until the end tonight; private demos, devices distribution ... this is going to have a massive impact all over the media.
    Many points have not been touched during the presentation but get ready to see them fully exposed as soon as ... now (some press obviously had the devices and OS to write down their demos and previews prior to the official event).

Now if you ask me about the performance ... I found Vivek fantastic, enthusiast, sharp and clear.
    And my "after the battle" thoughts ? Well, maybe this shouldn't have been broadcasted live.
    I really, really, really, hope that you are right. . . .
    anon(5624621), jegs2 and 00stryder like this.
    01-30-13 01:07 PM
    It definitely felt rushed, there is a lot we haven't seen like protect, drop box integration, etc. I am devastated that they didn't take the time to go through all of these.
    01-30-13 01:10 PM
    Sounds like we were all execting more...
    The reason I believe they are launching in other countries first is they have a level of loyalty there they want to maintain. Their US market share is minimal there and their fan base upgrading will not register compared with the rest of the world. BTW I live in Waterloo and this seems to be the consensus among those I know that work there.

Skype is coming. Chelax

I personally was disappointed there was no mention of tablets or Playbook. I was not expecting a new product or anything extraordinary but just a mention they are committed to the form factor and will soon be coming with further exiting news (hopefully).
    01-30-13 01:10 PM
    This is purely anecdotal, but I have two older brothers (three actually, but one is not in to tech at all), one owns an iPhone 4 and the other a Galaxy S2. The S2 owner is an attorney and all business and owned a BB Curve for a couple years before landing on the S2. The iPhone brother had Android before landing on the iPhone and is pretty happy with his phone. I got both of them to watch the unveil this morning, as they are both honest and would switch platforms if they saw something that peaked their interest.

After watching, they both sent me messages telling me thanks for wasting their morning...haha. They thought the unveil looked amateurish (at best), and BB looked like they just changed the way you access information for the sake of changing it...no real advantage to what they currently have.

Say what you will, but I think these are the people that BB would really like to sway from their current platform to BB and they failed miserably. Of course this is only a story of two people, but the fact that they both were not even remotely interested says something I do believe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    JeepBB, m1a1mg, jegs2 and 1 others like this.
    01-30-13 01:15 PM
    Whew....you're right! I'm already up to 131 posts, and I feel MUCH more like an expert....and talk about the quality of posts....wow
    Get real....what? You think a scientist that publishes MORE papers than Einstein, Tesla or Fermi or whomever makes him smarter than them? Puh-lease
    Your comprehension skills need some work.
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    01-30-13 01:19 PM
    I'm confused. I thought with the delays and leaks that everything was going to come together in a much more positive and polished way. Everything now seems like the same old rim. This is the last time I allow myself to be caught up in this kind of hype.
    barragan and 00stryder like this.
    01-30-13 01:19 PM
    Poor unveiling.... at least that's what I thought. I read the reviews online and it appears that RIM just didn't get the message out: comments about slow browser (contrary to html5 test), no discussion about NFC share (and online the phone is being compared to Samsung Galaxy that has it), no demo on voice etc....
    01-30-13 01:30 PM
    Yes, presentation seemed a little flat but the big thing will be these devices will now get in the hands of reviewers and that will be the turning point. The device can speak for itself as far as I am concerned. So, poor - Launch as a whole and delay of qwerty device Great - features and benefits of BB10. Now it is out, it will now speak for itself. It is, hands down, a big time saver. That means more production and efficiency for personal and business users. A later US launch could help as there should be more pent up demand. BNN in Canada just reported that BB can't produce enough units fast enough to keep up with order demands. We do need to remember, this was a global launch, not just the US as Apple's launches have been. BB did a good job of including those other markets where Apple tends to be very US centric and just assumes everyone will be the same around the world. The proof will be in the pudding. I think if they manage to sell 4 million units in the first few months, that will be good! They may do better. Get the qwerty out soon!!!!
    Well the reviews so far have been meh and not that good, just average.. Guess that idea is out the window =[
    01-30-13 01:35 PM
    I wanted to see AC/DC singing Back in Black, and hot models walking me through the functions of the phone. Is that too much to ask for??
    01-30-13 01:39 PM
    I wanted to see more of the OS, the settings, the game app which no one has reviewed yet or showed you how it works, couldve ran at least one or two third party apps and games, map, bb travel...its your new "platform" show it off...it looked more like a new OS not a new platform no talks on M2M or what to see in the future..we have BBJAM Europe coming those are usually interesting so lets see
    01-30-13 01:45 PM
    Although I am most likely getting a Z10 net week and it will be leaps and bounds above the 9800 I've had for the last two years I am completely unexited about it. The presentation was meh, the reviews released just after have been meh, after today I am almost hoping that my corporate provider can source the ATIV S that he has been trying to get me since mid December.

I only hope then when I have the Z10 in my hands it makes me say WOW.
    01-30-13 01:46 PM
    I thought it was horrible. Seems like a decent phone, but decent won't cut it. They needed to shock the world. I don't think they accomplished that today.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    01-30-13 01:48 PM
173 12345 ...