01-17-08 08:49 PM
    A town in Ohio near where I lived (Parma) was the first in the US to pass such a law. However, you could still talk if your phone had voice dial and hands free. The fines were warning/$50/$100 and from there I forget. Here in Grand Rapids, Michigan there are several cities close by that now have such laws. Most have cell phone warning signs posted right below the city limits signs. I always have my BT headset on and patrol cars have been right beside me with no problem.

A neighbor and I left for work one morning at the same time. She was on the cell phone. A cop did a U turn right in front of me to pull her over. When we got home I made a point to ask her what the deal was. It was indeed a cell phone warning.

More than moving violations I have found people still sitting at stop lights playing with their phone once they turn green more of a problem.

I have heard no statistics on weather or not the law has been credited for less accidents.

I for one tend to watch the GPS more than I ever mess with the phone.
    01-17-08 09:21 PM
    I think I will get a hands free this weekend.
    01-17-08 09:34 PM
    I wouldn't be without by BT headset.

Also, Welcome to the forum!
    01-17-08 09:53 PM
    Some recent studies have shown that it's the talking, not holding the phone, that is the main distraction. Some people are not multi-taskers so to speak. I have two phones plus my cell on my desk at work along with a CB and Nextel direct connect. I'm constantly doing more than one thing at a time, my wife on the other hand can't even hear the doorbell if she's on the phone.
    01-18-08 10:26 PM
    But if it IS the talking and not the phone -then why ban them? Isnt talking to someone in the car/backseat the same then?

IMO I think it's a stupid idea [CA is going handsfree in June or July]. Know your limits! I know, that's asking too much apparently.
    01-19-08 12:29 AM
    But if it IS the talking and not the phone -then why ban them? Isnt talking to someone in the car/backseat the same then?

IMO I think it's a stupid idea [CA is going handsfree in June or July]. Know your limits! I know, that's asking too much apparently.

That's exactly my point, where will it stop? What about tuning the radio? The "nanny" state here in California is out of control, as is most local, state and federal governments. My wife and I went to dinner with another couple a while back and he was driving. He would go up and down from 70mph to 55mph in the fast lane of a California freeway because he was talking to everyone in the car! It was making me very uncomfortable.
    01-19-08 07:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD