So, it seems that the poopular or most common idea of "Who will purchase RIM" is Microsoft.

Nothing wrong with that.

But we seem to be discounting a company that I think has a lot of "in commons" with RIM.

Cisco.

Why Cisco? Cisco does ALOT of IP phone technology in corporate environments. But are only servicing the desktop. Cisco mobile conferencing, online colaboration.

CISCO has a MASSIVE in with the corporate world...look at my desk, all 300 of them here, Cisco IP Phones..

Unless I am missing something here I see RIM and CISCO being a nice marriage of talent and exposure.

What do you think?
    05-26-11 12:53 PM
    Doubtful. Cisco always gets a lot of attention as a potential suitor for RIM, but it won't happen if you look at it in more detail.

Cisco is not in a position to venture outside of their forte, and as proof of it they already closed shop on the Flip, and they are in the layoff mindset.

To top it off, the Canadian government will never allow ownership of RIM (or any well-known Canadian corporation that size) to slip into foreign hands.
    05-26-11 01:03 PM
    Good for Canada
    05-26-11 02:14 PM
    To top it off, the Canadian government will never allow ownership of RIM (or any well-known Canadian corporation that size) to slip into foreign hands.
    You mean like they didn't do with Nortel!
    05-26-11 02:20 PM
    After the summer and all the long awaited good news is in, RIM will never be this cheep again and its not going anywhere!
    05-26-11 02:40 PM
    After the summer and all the long awaited good news is in, RIM will never be this cheep again and its not going anywhere!
    Wishful thinking at best, general foolishness at worst. BB7 is NOT going to be the savior of RIM and RIM's stock, nor is it designed to be. Maybe at one point it was, but being this late into 2011 without a new device (and we won't see one for the next one to three months, at the earliest) its obvious that BB7 is just intended to slow the bleeding a bit until RIM releases their save-all - a QNX BlackBerry Smartphone. BB7 will be a great OS on some pretty good devices but it will, by any means, turn the stock around.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-11 11:56 PM
    And you know, having tried all the major smartphones on the market today (Android, iPhone and BlackBerry) I can honestly say that blackberry fits my needs more than iPhone or Android do (especially owning an iPad - I can run any iOS app I want on a wonderfully spacious and gorgeous display and thus prefer my phone to excell at messenging and have a stellar physical keyboard). My old 8330 is doing the job adequately for the moment but I'm frustrated at RIM's snail pace. Its halfway into 2011... I expected a 1+GHz blackberry smartphone at least four months ago! I wonder if I would be better off trying one of HP's webOS devices or a Windows Phone 7 device to see if either of those will fits my needs...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-11 12:02 AM
    I do not think that RIM is interested in being taken over. They also have billions of liquid assets to buy their own stock to prevent anyone, even Microsoft from a hostile takeover.

Everyone is worried about RIM, but I see them make a come back with the new hardware on the way. I bought a **** load of RIM stock at $37 a share and sold all of it at $140. I will likely get back in just before they release the new handhelds coming this summer.
    05-27-11 05:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD